Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
I find it endlessly hilarious that in the past week Canada has been in the international news not only for “being a safe haven for terrorists” but also sheltering and applauding a nazi war criminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
There should be a mechanism by which politicians could be forcibly resigned for simply being too loving stupid to not vet a literal Nazi

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

At least Doug Ford forces his cronies to resign.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

TheKingofSprings posted:

There should be a mechanism by which politicians could be forcibly resigned for simply being too loving stupid to not vet a literal Nazi

I thought voting was stupid, though?

To be slightly less glib, though, yes, a recall mechanism would be handy. Not sure we'd see the desired result if we did it in this case, though. Did you know SS guy's son founded the North Bay Hospital foundation, and still sits on the board?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's been a hell of a September :lol:

And we have a few days left!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

This has been a whole month of Canadian politicians smashing their particular genitals with ballpeen hammers. Repeatedly.

I hate it

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

:sigh:

TheCenturion posted:

To be slightly less glib, though, yes, a recall mechanism would be handy.

It exists for MLAs in BC. :sigh:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

infernal machines posted:

"Parental rights"

Children are property dontchaknow

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/speaker-anthony-rota-resignation-1.6978422

And down he goes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So he resigned as speaker but not MP and still didn't explain what the gently caress he was thinking/doing?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
If I’ve learned anything from being on the internet since social media it’s that the people in power are all just incredible imbeciles who tripped dick first into their position.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

McGavin posted:

I regret to inform you that Russia in WWII was allied with the Nazis.
Is this sarcastic? I honestly can't tell.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

eXXon posted:

So he resigned as speaker but not MP and still didn't explain what the gently caress he was thinking/doing?

ZShakespeare posted:

If I’ve learned anything from being on the internet since social media it’s that the people in power are all just incredible imbeciles who tripped dick first into their position.

Yeah, based on my limited experience, he was probably approached by a cultural organization, or someone in his riding office belongs to one, told that they have someone who would be great to introduce to Zelensky because this guy also bravely fought the Russians, fought against communism, and fought to establish a homeland for his people, etc. Rota, like many other people, being ignorant of history says "sure, sounds great" and doesn't ask who this guy was fighting with if he was fighting against the Russians in 1941-1945.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 26, 2023

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

kaom posted:

:sigh:

It exists for MLAs in BC. :sigh:

It does, but I think the only time it came close to working was persuading an MLA who'd been sock-puppetting in the local newspaper (wtf is a "newspaper"?) to resign.

"Some local rag" posted:

Betanko letter surfaces during election campaign
Political ghost comes back to haunt one of Parksville's mayoral candidates
JR Rardon
Oct 28, 2011 1:00 PM

This letter is someone’s idea of a joke. A bad one at that, says one of the candidates in the Parksville mayoral campaign.

A letter to the editor was dropped off Wednesday at The News, signed by Warren Betanko.

That’s the name used in a series of political attack letters in the 1990s in Parksville and elsewhere — a name determined to be used in a fake manner by Paul Reitsma during his time as mayor of Parksville and BC Liberal MLA. The letters at that time, found to be penned by Reitsma, were often complimentary of him and critical of his political opponents.

The current letter is not his doing, Reitsma says, adding he would be stupid to do it again.

Reitsma said he spent the last six years working through his own feelings over the events of the 1990s, and this new letter is an affront to that.

“I am asked by people if they can write letters supporting me now,” said Reitsma, a candidate for mayor in Parksville on Nov. 19, 2011. “I tell them yes, but be polite and be sure to include their contact information.”

He added he hopes the person who dropped the letter off at The News comes forward.

Staff at The News saw a man in a fisherman’s cap drop the letter off at the front desk. By the time the envelope was opened, the man had gone.

The phone number on the letter is that of the mayor’s office at Parksville city hall. Electoral officer Lynn Kitchen said it’s a concern that the letter has come up during the municipal election campaign, as a certain amount of such shenanigans could pave the way for candidates to challenge results. Kitchen said she’ll be keeping track of such items, just in case.

Since it is a fake, the letter itself will not be published. It is The News’ letters policy that all those submitted include the writer’s name, home town and contact phone number. The numbers are never published, but are used by staff for author confirmation purposes. This policy has been in effect for at least eight years.

Discovery by this paper and other local media that Reitsma had written false letters in the 1990s, and lied about it, led to a recall campaign and his subsequent resignation as an MLA in 1998.

Reitsma told The News last month that he acknowledged he was wrong at the time and worked through his own issues to be able to run for office again.

I don't think Reitsma won on his last attempt at the mayorship. I tend to ignore Parksville unless I'm driving through while the MAGA hatters are out protesting in favour of pipelines or viruses.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

vyelkin posted:

You should read this academic article on this subject, which is freely available: https://www.academia.edu/1908894/_T..._3_2012_329_368

There has been a concentrated effort to whitewash the history of that military unit by its veterans who fled to the West and unsurprisingly wanted to downplay the fact that they fought for Nazi Germany, and by their descendants in Canada.
snip...

Thanks for posting that. It led down some depressing rat holes, but such is history I guess.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hexigrammus posted:

Thanks for posting that. It led down some depressing rat holes, but such is history I guess.

One thing Ive learned since posting here is that the history we are taught is watered down to be as inoffensive as possible. Our actual history is awful and terrifying, but teaching that would make selling patriotism drat near impossible. Much harder to rally the populace behind you with a simple wave of a flag when they know what they flag actually stands for.

e: I know this comes off as kind of gloomy and doomy, but Im still thankful to live where we do. I just think omitting or sanding over our historical warts might end up causing more damage in the future as people would become much more likely to repeat mistakes we have already made.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 26, 2023

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah, based on my limited experience, he was probably approached by a cultural organization, or someone in his riding office belongs to one, told that they have someone who would be great to introduce to Zelensky because this guy also bravely fought the Russians, fought against communism, and fought to establish a homeland for his people, etc. Rota, like many other people, being ignorant of history says "sure, sounds great" and doesn't ask who this guy was fighting with if he was fighting against the Russians in 1941-1945.

It was the guys son who asked for him to be invited, lol. Maybe he hates his father and this is revenge for a childhood of abuse.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Giggs posted:

Is this sarcastic? I honestly can't tell.

It is not. Hitler and Stalin were allies right up until Hitler backstabbed Stalin and opened the eastern front.

And no shade on you, but see how easy it is for modern younguns, so to speak, to not know what some consider “basic, essential history?”

poo poo, remember the part where Great Britain was handing other countries to Hitler in the name of appeasement? “We shall have peace in our time.”

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

TheCenturion posted:

It is not. Hitler and Stalin were allies right up until Hitler backstabbed Stalin and opened the eastern front.

And no shade on you, but see how easy it is for modern younguns, so to speak, to not know what some consider “basic, essential history?”

poo poo, remember the part where Great Britain was handing other countries to Hitler in the name of appeasement? “We shall have peace in our time.”

Indeed, with the Molotov-Rippentrop Pact the Soviets and the Germans collaborated extensively, most infamously perhaps the Soviets outsourced the job of fabricating/forging evidence of treason of Mikhail Tukhachevsky in addition of course to things like trading valuable materials needed to feeding the German war effort and carving out spheres of influence, and even proving the Germans a submarine base and access through the North Sea Route. The pact and subsequent collaboration was enthusiastic and extended beyond just Poland, a non-aggression pact and spheres.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Hamelekim posted:

It was the guys son who asked for him to be invited, lol. Maybe he hates his father and this is revenge for a childhood of abuse.
Either that or he heard some “really cool war stories” from that guy’s family about fighting the Russians.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

TheCenturion posted:

Literally every single European power was an ally with Hitler via this logic.

A non-aggression pact that was only pursued after France and Britain refused one with the USSR does not an ally make

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Mr. Apollo posted:

Either that or he heard some “really cool war stories” from that guy’s family about fighting the Russians.

"Mr. Hunka's son contacted Mr. Rota's constituency office and asked if it would be possible for Mr. Hunka to attend the address in the House of Commons by Mr. Zelensky. This request was accepted by the Speaker's Office," Crosson said.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6978266

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

Literally every single European power was an ally with Hitler via this logic.

A non-aggression pact that was only pursued after France and Britain refused one with the USSR does not an ally make

Yeah, but dividing up and invading Eastern Europe kinda does though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Britain and France literally gave Hitler permission to do it to Czechoslovakia. Didn't even bother to invite the Czechoslovaks lol

e: let's not forget that the Polish government was absolutely not above bandwagoning into grabbing their own little bit

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 27, 2023

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
"Those countries weren't at war until they were. Everyone knows this."

okay thanks

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Molotov/Von Ribentrop pact is a bit more complicated than saying they were allies. Hitler had a huge hate on for the USSR and the feeling was mutual. Hitler was always going to betray the USSR and the USSR pretty much knew this was going to happen anyway and used the pact as a way of arming themselves until the moment arrived. Also I am a little rusty with my history but I am pretty sure that the USSR only went to Hitler after England and France said they wouldn't sign any pacts with them and also USSR figured signing a pact with Hitler would be the best way to get Poland.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

McGavin posted:

Yeah, but dividing up and invading Eastern Europe kinda does though.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Madkal posted:

The Molotov/Von Ribentrop pact is a bit more complicated than saying they were allies. Hitler had a huge hate on for the USSR and the feeling was mutual. Hitler was always going to betray the USSR and the USSR pretty much knew this was going to happen anyway and used the pact as a way of arming themselves until the moment arrived. Also I am a little rusty with my history but I am pretty sure that the USSR only went to Hitler after England and France said they wouldn't sign any pacts with them and also USSR figured signing a pact with Hitler would be the best way to get Poland.

This is a bit revisionist; for one, its quite well known that Stalin absolutely didn't think Hitler was going to attack, and dismissed all intelligence indicating the German build up and obvious intent to invade. This also puts aside all the things the Soviets did to help Germany and other areas in which they collaborated with which I mentioned in my post that go well past the non-aggression pact as indicated by A big flaming stink for the reasons I explained.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

PittTheElder posted:

Britain and France literally gave Hitler permission to do it to Czechoslovakia. Didn't even bother to invite the Czechoslovaks lol

e: let's not forget that the Polish government was absolutely not above bandwagoning into grabbing their own little bit

Interwar Poland, especially in the years right before the war started, was also rabidly antisemitic

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Madkal posted:

It wasn't a 'huge hate'. The war against communism and the genocide in eastern Europe was fundamental to Nazi ideology. It wasn't just like some personal disagreement it was literally the basis of the Nazism. It wasn't a loving alliance holy poo poo how does anybody still think that way

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Hamelekim posted:

"Mr. Hunka's son contacted Mr. Rota's constituency office and asked if it would be possible for Mr. Hunka to attend the address in the House of Commons by Mr. Zelensky. This request was accepted by the Speaker's Office," Crosson said.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6978266
Oh I misunderstood. I thought it was Rota’s son that suggested it.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

i wonder if there will be enough blowback to finally force canada to get rid of its monuments to ss divisions

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Brandon Proust posted:

i wonder if there will be enough blowback to finally force canada to get rid of its monuments to ss divisions

Nah the Memorial to the Victims of Communism is still underway

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Brandon Proust posted:

Inshallah

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

:tootzzz:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

DaysBefore posted:

Interwar Poland, especially in the years right before the war started, was also rabidly antisemitic

Indeed, and even today there are huge contingents of people working to suppress that (and Polish participation in the Holocaust) in online sources like wikipedia, to the point where there's honest to god academic papers being written on it as I recall

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Interwar Europe was rabidly antisemitic. Also pre WW1 Europe. Post WW2 they felt a bit guilty about it for a while, but they're getting back to old habits already.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Madkal posted:

The USSR spent most of the 30s trying to pursue collective security agreements with Britain and France against Nazi Germany but after Munich Stalin became convinced that Britain and France were more interested in cozying up to Hitler so they could sic him on the USSR than in allying to contain Germany, so he also started secretly pursuing a non-aggression pact with Germany in mid-1939. Hitler was amenable because that agreement would mean securing his eastern flank when initially going to war in the west, Stalin saw it as a way to create a defensive buffer zone on the USSR's borders and buy time to prepare for war, and the rest is history. Stalin continued to see war with the capitalist world as inevitable (making little distinction between Nazi Germany and the other capitalist powers) but seriously underestimated Hitler's intentions because he thought Germany would never invade the USSR without defeating Britain first and he thought it would take Germany ten years to defeat Britain, and then bought into those incorrect predictions so strongly that he discounted the many warnings he got about Hitler's real intentions.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Children are property dontchaknow

I literally saw an anti-lgbtq fascist at the Vancouver rally with a sign he made for his kids which said “I belong to my parents”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

TheCenturion posted:

No offence taken, but the problem wasn't that I've never heard of the molotov ribbentrop pact the problem is that McGavin wasn't being ironic. I'd rather not even discuss this given the absolutely deranged takes we've already gotten so far, but I think it's pretty clear to anyone with an understanding of said "basic, essential history" that such an insanely simplistic perspective is both ahistoric and fitting solely for propagandistic purposes.

I should have said "you're making GBS threads me, right?" I guess.

PittTheElder posted:

Indeed, and even today there are huge contingents of people working to suppress that (and Polish participation in the Holocaust) in online sources like wikipedia, to the point where there's honest to god academic papers being written on it as I recall
I believe the Polish government criminalized the pointing out of Polish participation in the Holocaust only a couple years ago. It may have been rescinded, but that obviously means nothing.