Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I probably have a ringtone set but I couldn't tell you the last time I heard it. Why would I have my phone off silent? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Not letting you access the regular alarm tones with the sleep cycle alarm loving sucks for no reason.

And vice versa

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I leave my ringer on I’m a rebel

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

hatty posted:

I leave my ringer on I’m a rebel

ban this sick filth

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Endless Mike posted:

I probably have a ringtone set but I couldn't tell you the last time I heard it. Why would I have my phone off silent? :confused:

Some people

Need to hear their phones

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rolo posted:

Some people

Nah

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Saeka posted:

New iGoon here, (coming from Android).

Any resource that's relatively new for must have apps? The iOS thread appears to be from 2014

Try using Maps and Safari instead of slapping on Chrome and Google Maps

e: I’d say Mail too but I know goons have varying opinions on that one. But it works fine enough for me with 2 Gmail and 2 iCloud accounts.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Saeka posted:

New iGoon here, (coming from Android).

Any resource that's relatively new for must have apps? The iOS thread appears to be from 2014

Safari Extensions are great, check out...
Sponsorblock, Adguard, Wipr, StopTheMadness, Hush, and Opener

Reeder is the best RSS app if you're an old person who does RSS like me

Pestle is my favorite recipe app - I found it better than Paprika at updating their app with more modern iOS app features like the ability to take a photo of a recipe and OCR scan it into the app. It also has lots of nice smart lists and such. I use it for cocktail recipes too.

Reminders and Notes are great native iOS apps... look into smart tagging, smart lists, and shared lists to stay organized.

Fantastical is a great calendar replacement, with natural text entry and integrated timed reminders. The free tier is "good enough"

Shortcuts is amazing if you're into automated things. I don't think there's an Android equivalent for it.

Spark is a nice third party mail client if you're not a Gmail-only guy.

Mixel is a decent cocktail recipe app.

Freindly reminder from the lockscreen, you can....
Swipe down to search for anything (I barely keep anything on my homescreen and search for everything)
Swipe left to open your camera app
Swipe right to open the widget drawer

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 26, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I got meaty legs so I can’t feel the phone rattling off my femur like you twig folk. Gotta have that ring.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

I got meaty legs so I can’t feel the phone rattling off my femur like you twig folk. Gotta have that ring.

My Apple Watch tells me when I have a notification. :smug:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have a job that might call me while I’m sleeping, so no silent mode and ew sleeping with a watch on is gross.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

My Apple Watch tells me when I have a notification. :smug:

Yeah but that's worse.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What setting makes it so my screen wakes every time i bump the table it's sitting on? I have raise to wake turned off. I also tried turning off tap/swipe to wake.

EDIT: It just randomly stopped doing it. Wtf? The slightest motion or bumping the desk was causing the screen to wake constantly and after locking it and unlocking it 5 or 6 times it stopped.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 26, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Limited Apple Watch Notifications +
Vibration turned off on the iPhone =
Best balance of "too many notifications on the lock screen that aren't bugging me for attention constantly"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Corb3t posted:

Best balance of "too many notifications on the lock screen that aren't bugging me for attention constantly"

Install new app, click "nope, never" when it asks to allow notifications.

Enjoy peace!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I learned in a pre-smartphone world that you don’t want to set your ringtone to a song you like because you will learn to no longer like the song.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You should also not set it to the Metal Gear Solid codec ring or you'll look like a poser.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Bottom Liner posted:

What setting makes it so my screen wakes every time i bump the table it's sitting on? I have raise to wake turned off. I also tried turning off tap/swipe to wake.

EDIT: It just randomly stopped doing it. Wtf? The slightest motion or bumping the desk was causing the screen to wake constantly and after locking it and unlocking it 5 or 6 times it stopped.

And now it randomly started again. The gently caress apple? I'm talking I set my water bottle on the desk a foot away and the screen wakes. If I'm holding it and lock it with the button, the screen immediately wakes again to the lock screen for a few seconds.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 26, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My weather complication for temp has been not working since yesterday (blank) and I have unpaired and repaired the watch and done a bunch of other fuckery and I guess now I’m just gonna give up.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Maybe go see a doctor if you have no feeling in your legs.

I hesitated on my order since I wanted to hold one in person. Now I'm waiting until Halloween to get mine.

The pro blue does look nice in real life though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Corb3t posted:

That’s right.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

xzzy posted:

Install new app, click "nope, never" when it asks to allow notifications.

Enjoy peace!

I like the daily summaries and don't install lovely apps :colbert:

Edit: It's funny how so many Android users complain about iOS notification system, but in reality, most iOS users probably turn the vast majority of apps notifications off altogether.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dogen posted:

My weather complication for temp has been not working since yesterday (blank) and I have unpaired and repaired the watch and done a bunch of other fuckery and I guess now I’m just gonna give up.

I think this is a bug. I thought I saw it reported on mac rumors or something.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I use Shortcuts to automate my "good songs" playlist to start playing on shuffle when it is time to wake up every morning. Apparently playlist technology is too advanced for the alarm app.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Corb3t posted:

I like the daily summaries and don't install lovely apps :colbert:

Edit: It's funny how so many Android users complain about iOS notification system, but in reality, most iOS users probably turn the vast majority of apps notifications off altogether.

I definitely think the notifications on android are more fully-featured (context actions easily accessible on most of them for example) but live activities is a much better version of the android persistent notifications you get while services run in the background.

I also seem to lose notifications more on iOS but as I’ve gotten older like you say I just turn 90% of them off lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rolo posted:

Some people

I don't care what "some people" do, I'm talking about me.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Notifications I keep on: Texting applications and outlook.
Everything else can gently caress off.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I don't care what "some people" do, I'm talking about me.

Plus you are correct here

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I think this is a bug. I thought I saw it reported on mac rumors or something.

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/09/26/watchos-10-weather-complication-issues/

Yeah it's some bug or whatever.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Detective No. 27 posted:

I learned in a pre-smartphone world that you don’t want to set your ringtone to a song you like because you will learn to no longer like the song.

We can’t forget this cautionary tale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_c4aeVmND0

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iOS 17.0.2 is out today for everyone. It was only available for the 15 models before.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/environment/another-person-has-accidentally-fallen-into-an-outhouse/

Someone else got trapped in a pit toilet trying to retrieve an Apple product.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Dont use your phone while youre poopin you animals

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

hatty posted:

The gently caress am I supposed to do for those 48 minutes

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Eat some psyllium maybe

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

hatty posted:

:what:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

When I was young, I read books in the bathroom. Later I played gameboy in there. Now, I shitpost while I poo poo, and I will not suffer someone infringing on my rights to hold the collected wealth of all human knowledge in my hands while pinching one off, ok

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Tiny Timbs posted:

You can make custom vibrations in haptics settings. I made my text vibrations really noticeable that way. Before I did that I’d miss text vibrations fairly often.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
As a recent android to iPhone convert, I do find the notification options on iOS somewhat lacking. Main example, is that I would like to have certain apps slide down a banner but not vibrate. I haven’t found a way to do that yet, and not sure it’s possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

As a recent android to iPhone convert, I do find the notification options on iOS somewhat lacking. Main example, is that I would like to have certain apps slide down a banner but not vibrate. I haven’t found a way to do that yet, and not sure it’s possible.

Turn banner notifications on, but turn the sound option off. It shouldn't buzz?