Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

Every single tree in Switzerland is numbered. They absolutely will do this.

I'm hoping this is literally true and you can link me to some info on it because :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Looks like history is repeating itself: Like with the tanks, now that the US has decided to deliver ATACMS, there's growing pressure on Scholz to finally allow Taurus-deliveries.

In a couple months, we are now facing the real possibility of seeing Swedish jets launching German cruise missiles into Russian fortifications

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Libluini posted:

Looks like history is repeating itself: Like with the tanks, now that the US has decided to deliver ATACMS, there's growing pressure on Scholz to finally allow Taurus-deliveries.

In a couple months, we are now facing the real possibility of seeing Swedish jets launching German cruise missiles into Russian fortifications

Quite the worldly war

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Yes of course. I was just wondering if they'd bother to do it.

No idea personally, but I would imagine most western countries with weapons/arms export programs probably have tracking and control mechanisms in place to keep stuff from going further then they want. I could see them wanting to keep track of the tanks even if there wasn't a war in Ukraine.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

Xlorp posted:

Quite the worldly war

The experts prefer the term Cosmopolitan.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Libluini posted:

Great Northern War 2

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Libluini posted:

If I'm not mistaken the ATACMs that Ukraine will be getting will only have cluster munitions. That's not so great for destroying buildings. But any Russian airplanes parked in Crimea are probably going to get hosed unless Russia moves them out.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Great Northern War 2

Electric Berdyanskaloo

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So is Russia pulling a Weekend At Bernies?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/dead-russian-admiral-shoved-in-front-of-the-cameras-to-prove-he-survived-missile-blast?ref=home?ref=home

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
https://warontherocks.com/2023/09/biting-off-what-it-can-chew-ukraine-understands-its-attritional-context/

An interesting article by a Major in the US Army. It seeks to contextualize the current tactics and mode of operations by the AFU as essentially correct given the heavy fortifications and that "maneuver warfare" wouldn't work anyways.

This is in opposition somewhat of the view from RUSI which looks at current AFU attrition tactics as a result of a lack of sufficient training among the Ukrainians junior officer corps in decentralized decision making required for maneuver warfare. Here Maj Rose praises the decentralized nature of AFU artillery with platoons being able to use smart phone apps for rapid fire support though his assertion here is not footnotes or sourced.

quote:

Based on simulations that lack context and the friction of war, the U.S. Army has been moving toward centralizing assets in a manner similar to France’s methodical battle of the 1930s. This approach will continue to slow decision-making and operational tempo. When situations at the front change, soldiers will need to wait for the prolonged planning processes of headquarters removed from the fight to make a decision. They waste precious minutes and will risk being overrun as they call for a fire mission that is routed from battalion, to brigade, to division, then back down to a divisional artillery headquarters, a field artillery battalion, and finally a firing battery. Meanwhile, the Ukrainian military has decentralized to an impressive degree with unmanned aerial systems tied into platoon operations and artillery working on demand with an Uber-like app. The Ukrainian approach is a much quicker and more flexible form of warfare than the centralized target working groups and 72-hour air tasking orders that drive American operations.

Edit: I would assume both are correct to some degree. Maybe the AFU does allow for small units to allocate their own artillery support but it seems like RUSI's view that more consequential decisions being left to higher HQ to the point where smoke isn't used to ensure HQ has good UAV sight lines to control the battle does suggest that lack of training and trust for junior officers to report and make independent decisions is a major factor.

Nonetheless it seems like their current approach is the best that can be expected under current circumstances.

Edit 2: I am reading a pretty damning paper he wrote in the US military journal that he linked. Apparently the US has moved away from "maneuver warfare" themselves with unrealistic training which is over rehearsed?

https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Journals/Military-Review/English-Edition-Archives/March-April-2022/Rose/

MikeC fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 26, 2023

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

He's probably just alive. Unless in two months we get a terse obit.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

They have some goofy-looking white chairs at wherever they are at, it seems from the other portraits.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

MikeC posted:

smart phone apps for rapid fire support

Free same day shipping to most locations in Ukraine if you order today through the Howie! app!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
howitzr

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

MikeC posted:

https://warontherocks.com/2023/09/biting-off-what-it-can-chew-ukraine-understands-its-attritional-context/

An interesting article by a Major in the US Army. It seeks to contextualize the current tactics and mode of operations by the AFU as essentially correct given the heavy fortifications and that "maneuver warfare" wouldn't work anyways.

This is in opposition somewhat of the view from RUSI which looks at current AFU attrition tactics as a result of a lack of sufficient training among the Ukrainians junior officer corps in decentralized decision making required for maneuver warfare. Here Maj Rose praises the decentralized nature of AFU artillery with platoons being able to use smart phone apps for rapid fire support though his assertion here is not footnotes or sourced.

Edit: I would assume both are correct to some degree. Maybe the AFU does allow for small units to allocate their own artillery support but it seems like RUSI's view that more consequential decisions being left to higher HQ to the point where smoke isn't used to ensure HQ has good UAV sight lines to control the battle does suggest that lack of training and trust for junior officers to report and make independent decisions is a major factor.

Nonetheless it seems like their current approach is the best that can be expected under current circumstances.

Edit 2: I am reading a pretty damning paper he wrote in the US military journal that he linked. Apparently the US has moved away from "maneuver warfare" themselves with unrealistic training which is over rehearsed?

https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Journals/Military-Review/English-Edition-Archives/March-April-2022/Rose/

I don't see any evidence of a push towards centralization at my level (battalion) or in the staff or command training I received. On the contrary, we are always pushing commanders to exercise initiative and call for additional resources as needed.

On the second point, I need to read the article after work, but certain things in the u.s. army are VERY rehearsal based. This is good and bad. Vehicle gunnery is crazy scripted. You can hit every target and fail if you don't follow the script. It's literally what Gen Schwarzkopf criticized the Soviets for when he helped revamp how the U.S. army trained in the 80's.

The good part is, we rehearse every real-world mission as well, based of off what we know of the terrain and enemy. It gives junior leaders and soldiers a decent grasp of how the mission will run.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Paladinus posted:

They did the whole charade with the crew of the Moskva, so it's not implausible that they'd just have a recording of him to try and pretend he's alive. Until he's seen talking about current events I'd say odds are on he's dead.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bug Squash posted:

They did the whole charade with the crew of the Moskva, so it's not implausible that they'd just have a recording of him to try and pretend he's alive. Until he's seen talking about current events I'd say odds are on he's dead.

He's not exactly a very public person.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Still, in this day and age it's pretty easy to give proof of life, just hop onto some form of social media and go "hey, it's me, today is [date] and I'm alive" or something similar. Not even doing that bare minimum is understandably going to lead to some raised eyebrows.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah this is a suspiciously trivial to fake proof.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Moon Slayer posted:

Still, in this day and age it's pretty easy to give proof of life, just hop onto some form of social media and go "hey, it's me, today is [date] and I'm alive" or something similar. Not even doing that bare minimum is understandably going to lead to some raised eyebrows.

It took Zaluzhny two weeks after Russia started circulating rumours about his death to appear on social media. And he actually has a semi-active instagram account. Ditto for Budanov. One of Kadyrov's BFFs from Akhmat also took his sweet time to reappear after Ukraine's claims of his death. People have poo poo to do (or pretend they do), not to mention that even acknowledging rumours still gives credence to the source. You always try to do that organically without any fanfare, business as usual.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

Paladinus posted:

It took Zaluzhny two weeks after Russia started circulating rumours about his death to appear on social media. And he actually has a semi-active instagram account. Ditto for Budanov. One of Kadyrov's BFFs from Akhmat also took his sweet time to reappear after Ukraine's claims of his death. People have poo poo to do (or pretend they do), not to mention that even acknowledging rumours still gives credence to the source. You always try to do that organically without any fanfare, business as usual.

But throwing up a video showing the man on a Zoom call dubbed over with a different meeting doesn't exactly scream 'organic current day event'.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rugz posted:

But throwing up a video showing the man on a Zoom call dubbed over with a different meeting doesn't exactly scream 'organic current day event'.

When Shoigu was away for a month, they also showed him on Zoom, and it was an old video of him even. He is demonstrably alive, though.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

There could also be an attempt to deny Ukrainian intelligence any freebies. There's no point in giving your enemy a precise report on the effects of their strike, better let them be confused.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Dirt5o8 posted:

Vehicle gunnery is crazy scripted. You can hit every target and fail if you don't follow the script. It's literally what Gen Schwarzkopf criticized the Soviets for when he helped revamp how the U.S. army trained in the 80's.
Yes, but it's fast and intended to avoid catastrophic crew and vehicle loss.

• Commander: "Gunner, Sabot, Tank"
  • Loader: "Up"
  • Gunner: "Identify"
  • Commander: "Fire"
  • Gunner: (simultaneously pulling the trigger) "On the way"

1. Three words to say "shoot this specific ammo at this specific thing". You can add "left", "right", "2nd on the left", "furthest" or other descriptors before the target type ("Tank", in the example").
2. One word to say, "the round is loaded, the breech is closed so it won't misfire, and nobody's body parts are behind the breech." (If they are they will be crushed into red mush.)
3. One word to say, "I know what you want me to murk. Also I have a valid range from the laser rangefinder and a valid ballistic firing solution because my retical is tracking the target accurately."
4. One word to say, "I'm responsible for what comes next."
5. Three words to say, "If nothing happens something is wrong. Also watch the round to see effects on target, if I need to re-engage, etc."

The biggest time period is typically waiting for #2 after #1: about 3 seconds for a fast loader; 4 or 5 seconds after they've been slinging rounds all gunnery. 2.5 seconds if they're hot-loading by keeping the next round in their lap rather than in the armored blast compartment (don't do this). Sometimes a gunner will say #3 and not really have a good track. #4 becomes "Re-laze", then back to "Identify", "Fire", etc.

The ritual allows you to convey a lot of information in very few words, and avoid things like crushing the commander's elbow in the breech, crushing the loader's entire body in the breach, trying to fire before the round is loaded, firing when you don't have a firing solution (and thus missing), etc. It results in tank crews being able to hit multiple targets 1200-2400m away at night on the move within a few seconds of each other.

In other words: it loving works. It's not about hitting every target. It's about hitting every target quickly, without wasting ammunition, without misfires, and without crippling your crew.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'll risk the double-post....

Also, rehearsals in terms of tactical actions can be broken into battle drills--one of which I just described--and rehearsing a plan. Rehearsing a plan is also a good thing, though maybe not for the reasons which come first to mind. Rehearsing does not mean you know everything that's going to happen. Almost all plans go to poo poo on first contact, and often well before. But part of rehearsing is practicing when things get hosed up, because rehearsals also don't go according to plan. So you rehearse until you get something right, then you rehearse when something goes wrong, and then something else, and then something else, and so on until you feel like you've been through a blender. Then, we you do it for real, and poo poo goes sideways, you're mentally prepared to adapt. The thing that goes wrong is unlikely to be the thing you anticipated, but you get everyone in a state where you know the commander's intent, and when the problem hits, everyone starts working the problem rather than freezing up.

The Soviet-style rehearsals which deserve criticism are those which don't permit anything to go wrong. "This tank will move here, and then destroy this target, and then move here, and then ...". Those are bad rehearsals, because they don't teach adaptation, which is the actual thing you should be training.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

Paladinus posted:

When Shoigu was away for a month, they also showed him on Zoom, and it was an old video of him even. He is demonstrably alive, though.

So? As of now we don't have Russia choosing to not acknowledge the rumours. And we also don't have Russia choosing to provide proof of life either. What we have is Russia trying to say nothing happened by splicing together two obviously different events where the person in question is only visible in the meeting that has no audio attached.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

This is art. Howizon/horizon, the amazon arrow being an amazing analog for a ballistic parabola. I love it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I just now realized that the target is a Z, heh

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Libluini posted:

Pressure has been growing for weeks and months to deliver Taurus, long before the announcement that ATACMS wiil be delivered. However, now that ATACMS are being delivered, it will become more likely that Taurus will be delivered, as it will become even more of a „just another weapon system like those delivered by our allies“ instead of an escalation by delivering a weapon system giving Ukraine new capabilities.

That this is a factor sucks, but here we are.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

I'll risk the double-post....

Also, rehearsals in terms of tactical actions can be broken into battle drills--one of which I just described--and rehearsing a plan. Rehearsing a plan is also a good thing, though maybe not for the reasons which come first to mind. Rehearsing does not mean you know everything that's going to happen. Almost all plans go to poo poo on first contact, and often well before. But part of rehearsing is practicing when things get hosed up, because rehearsals also don't go according to plan. So you rehearse until you get something right, then you rehearse when something goes wrong, and then something else, and then something else, and so on until you feel like you've been through a blender. Then, we you do it for real, and poo poo goes sideways, you're mentally prepared to adapt. The thing that goes wrong is unlikely to be the thing you anticipated, but you get everyone in a state where you know the commander's intent, and when the problem hits, everyone starts working the problem rather than freezing up.

The Soviet-style rehearsals which deserve criticism are those which don't permit anything to go wrong. "This tank will move here, and then destroy this target, and then move here, and then ...". Those are bad rehearsals, because they don't teach adaptation, which is the actual thing you should be training.

You have a lot more experience with that than me. I've only done 1 Bradley gunnery, main focus was always 50/240/mk19. With that it was literally a paved road and very on-the-rails. Again, I haven't read the article yet so I may be off the mark on what the author is critical of.

And I agree with you almost 100% on rehearsals and battle drills. What I was trying to say is that often there aren't enough injects and it becomes a check the block. I used, fairly or unfairly, was vehicle gunnery but rehearsals at all levels can and do fall into that trap.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1706797024409243999

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Dirt5o8 posted:

I don't see any evidence of a push towards centralization at my level (battalion) or in the staff or command training I received. On the contrary, we are always pushing commanders to exercise initiative and call for additional resources as needed.

On the second point, I need to read the article after work, but certain things in the u.s. army are VERY rehearsal based. This is good and bad. Vehicle gunnery is crazy scripted. You can hit every target and fail if you don't follow the script. It's literally what Gen Schwarzkopf criticized the Soviets for when he helped revamp how the U.S. army trained in the 80's.

The good part is, we rehearse every real-world mission as well, based of off what we know of the terrain and enemy. It gives junior leaders and soldiers a decent grasp of how the mission will run.
There's a bit of complacency that comes with how thoroughly we rehearse.

After a month of MDMP and rehearsals, our last CPX had the enemy pop up in STARTEX in completely different locations, following a course of action we hadn't rehearsed against, and they committed to it so we had to adapt accordingly. Opinions may vary on how successful we were, but we got better with our staff processes, and I'm sure that's the focus of these things.

It's one thing to rehearse the whole scenario, but rehearsing battle drills is a valuable thing when it comes to taking responsibilities from whatever joint force is in theater and again in passing them down to divisions as the force moves forward.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Regarding ATACMS

quote:

Natasha (CNN):
So, I was wondering if you could, now that we're on the record, give us some kind of update on the long range missile question—the ATACMS question to Ukraine. There was a lot of confusion last week, I think there was some back and forth and some conflicting reporting. And so I'm just wondering if you could tell us where they things stand whether the US is prepared to send ATACMS.

SD:
I don't have any announcements to make on ATACMs, Natasha, so that my answer to that question is the same as it's been the last 10 times, you guys have asked me that. But if there is a change and the President wants to make an announcement, he will make the announcement. I don't have any announcements.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transc...amera-with-tra/

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

MikeC posted:

It is maddening that he wrote this in reference to US mentions of maneuver, but then chose not to use the US military definition of maneuver and instead used a different definition for maneuver entirely.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Unfortunately it looks like this was glocated and it is not the Airfield, instead pointing the opposite direction. At least According to some geolocation in the comments

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
senate proposes stop gap bill, includes funding for ukraine

a lot isn't relevant, so i'll just quote the money shot

quote:

The Senate stopgap bill, which would keep the government funded until November 17, includes $6.2 billion in Ukraine aid and $6 billion for natural disasters.

McCarthy told his leadership team Tuesday night that he plans to amend the Senate’s stopgap spending bill to include a House GOP border security package, according to multiple sources familiar, teeing up a massive confrontation with the Senate over immigration on the eve of the shutdown deadline.

McCarthy’s strategy, which has been echoed by Republicans all day, is to make the shutdown fight squarely centered on the issue of the border.

It is also likely that House Republicans will strip out the minimal money for Ukraine that the Senate has included in its stopgap, senior GOP sources said, given that many hardliners are opposed to it and they can’t afford many defections.

Schumer said on Tuesday as he outlined the Senate’s stopgap proposal, “We will continue to fund the government at present levels while maintaining our commitment to Ukraine’s security and humanitarian needs, while also ensuring those impacted by natural disasters across the country begin to get the resources they need.”

there was some angst in the thread on initial reports that senate dems would strip ukrainian funding from the outset, but it seems like the senate is prepared to at least make the funding an issue of contention rather than ceding it from the start

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm not sure why we think the Senate will at all strip that funding though? There's never going to be a point where Republicans will be like "Okay we'll give you everything you want if you strip funding for Ukraine."

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There is no question about the Senate --- it's controlled by Democrats *and* the turtle is an old school Republican, not the new-gen morons. It's the House that's the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

McGann posted:

Unfortunately it looks like this was glocated and it is not the Airfield, instead pointing the opposite direction. At least According to some geolocation in the comments

Yeah I figured it might not be true after I didn't see a single other story about what I figured would probably be a fairly big deal if it actually happened.

OddObserver posted:

It's the House that's the problem.

- every American president and senator since the 1790s