Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

NeonPunk posted:

How important do you think having English dubs is for the game? As a deaf person it doesn't really matters for me but I don't know if it's vital for you guys

There are some overly-japanese games that I don't care about or would actively prefer Japanese (like Yakuza), but in general, English dubs are very important to me. There are games that I have not considered playing because they don't have English. I can think of two instances of game series that I was a big fan of, but then didn't buy a sequel because they didn't bother to dub them. I wouldn't have played Genshin if it wasn't dubbed, and I wouldn't play a future sequel if it's not dubbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

NeonPunk posted:

How important do you think having English dubs is for the game? As a deaf person it doesn't really matters for me but I don't know if it's vital for you guys

Hugely important for the normie demographic of genshin, people that dont want voice acting without a disability reason are a huge minority

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
English dub is useful for being able to get the game story with as little effort as possible.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Tampa Bae posted:

the most important part of Furina's kit just dropped She can walk on water using just her E

If this is true, that has a 30s duration, does it not...?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm a massive weeb so I play all the Mihoyo games with the Japanese dub and it's awesome. The only time I think the EN dub has actually pulled out a w vs the Japenese dub is with Neuvillete.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I installed the Chinese voice pack because I absolutely could not tolerate Paimon's English voice. No disrespect to the VA or anything but it's the voice you hear the most.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

NeonPunk posted:

I wouldn't call it vital but I'd say it'd be a serious detriment to me if I didn't have the option. Leaving out the dub would put the game as a whole in a much more niche position outside Asia so there's no way we'd see the kind of insane playerbase numbers we see currently.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Eimi posted:

I'm a massive weeb so I play all the Mihoyo games with the Japanese dub and it's awesome. The only time I think the EN dub has actually pulled out a w vs the Japenese dub is with Neuvillete.

I do this as well. I honestly thought this would be a more popular option (aside from using the English dub).

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

I do this as well. I honestly thought this would be a more popular option (aside from using the English dub).

One thing I really appreciate is that since Honkai Impact has no EN dub, the Honkai Star Rail channel will have en subs on the majority of the videos they post. So you don't need to turn to fans for demos like with Genshin. Wish they'd do so for Genshin but :shrug:

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Eimi posted:

Caring Kamiya for him is like, were they thinking at all?

I did use JP for a while since they've got good Xiao/Ayato/Tigh casting, but after reinstalling never switched off EN.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tree Reformat posted:

I leave mine in English because the filesize is bloated enough without adding additional language packs to the mix

Furina leaks like her voicelines and special dish are starting to come out now and its everything one would hope for at least IMO.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Eimi posted:

One thing I really appreciate is that since Honkai Impact has no EN dub, the Honkai Star Rail channel will have en subs on the majority of the videos they post. So you don't need to turn to fans for demos like with Genshin. Wish they'd do so for Genshin but :shrug:
They started! Very recently. Like, "11 days ago" recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsZx11uXVEw

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

They started! Very recently. Like, "11 days ago" recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsZx11uXVEw

Oh poo poo, that's great news.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

The English dub is vital for being able to hit autoplay and play sudoku during cutscenes that are way too long. I've thought about changing it just to get rid of Paimon's dub, but then I'd lose the voices I actually like (Zhongli, Kaeya, Baizhu, but especially Yanfei yelling INADMISSABLE EVIDENCE).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NeonPunk posted:

i dont think the genshin dub is very good but having one broadens the games appeal

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I'm really looking forward to 4.1, but I barely care about the main quest. I just have to see where the world quest plotlines are going. My #1 priority will be checking in on Canotila to see if she can tell me where to find Page X, and then I'll be trying to get back into Annapausis. The Fortress of Meropide can wait, it's probably gonna be a stupid plot about helping Childe break out of prison when, if anything, I want to put him further into prison.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Paimon thing is really annoying because Corina Boettger is not a bad va (they're great as Somnium Files Mizuki, for example)

Bring back 1.0 Paimon

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Paimon's VA has become more gremlin over time.

Paimon is better for it. The 1.0 VA is so sleepy sounding. Just so little personality.

Paimon is best when she is screeching in your ear.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Its the too much dialogue discussion again. :lol:

I'll be honest the only time i ever hear the English voices and what they sound like is if I'm watching a lore video on youtube or something. Some are really good like Monas, Eulas and Furinas while some sound way out of their element like Ningguangs or just kind of dumb like Razors.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 26, 2023

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The english cast is peppered with some very vanilla VAs with some really good ones. It really stands out if you do hangouts now after doing any of the archon quests for 3.x and 4.x.

I wonder if Ningguang's VA overhams it on purpose, or if that's part of the directions he's given. I'm leaning towards the later.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
The english dub is good

The yakuza english dub, is also good :]

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

MoonCrab posted:

The english dub is good

The yakuza english dub, is also good :]

:mods:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

The Paimon thing is really annoying because Corina Boettger is not a bad va (they're great as Somnium Files Mizuki, for example)

Bring back 1.0 Paimon

PAIMON IS MIZUKI!?! holy poo poo

But also I really do like current Paimon, especially when she has an Indignant Screech. (And of course, it's the player's responsibility to always pick the dialogue options most likely to make Paimon indignant.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I am like mostly negative on the En dub direction, and one of the few recent standouts is more because ray chase actually realized "wait, this is not how the guy sounds at all" and re-took it.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Paimon’s voice is not only annoying, but also she lowers the quality of the narrative since the protagonist is impossible to care about with her floating around saying everything for him. But hearing her screeching all the time certainly doesn’t help either.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
This update is a 61 GB download on PS4, goddamn.

I don't mind the occasional large update, but wasn't 4.0 about the same size?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

MarquiseMindfang posted:

If this is true, that has a 30s duration, does it not...?
It has a 20s CD, so it's infinite duration.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The English voice acting is great. The english voice direction however was an utter disaster early on and seems to really only have improved mid-Sumeru. Did we ever find out what happened to the voice studio once Mihoyo realized they were stiffing the VAs?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
https://genshin.hoyoverse.com/en/gift?code=6T8NWE3HD7PD

From what? :iiam:

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Probably a "creator code" they give out to streamers and youtubers even though it's shared between them all and doesn't matter where the source comes from

anyway was at 75 pity, 10-pulled because I was ready to just bite the bullet on wasting a banner 5* just to get a copy of Fischl. Best case scenario happens and I got a Fischl + didn't get a 5* so I can safely hoard primos until Furaina and easily have enough to pull two 5*s

Neuvillette is such a weird character to play, couldn't quite figure it out no matter how many times I played his demo.

e: also lol at the 2 added things to that book thingy to get a sword and bow to level 20

Tampa Bae fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 27, 2023

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I’m so conflicted; I am at 70 pulls and didn’t get a Fischl. Next 4 star is guaranteed on banner but I wanted to save pity for the archon. Not sure about Neuvil at all and I know rolling for 4 stars is pain but I *really* want the last copy for c6, and Diona constellations aren’t terrible for me either. If I roll I am basically giving up pity though.

How is Neuv looking in terms of meta? I have zero connection with the character and I have a heavy investment Ayato so getting another hydro male character isn’t exactly high on my priority list, so his performance is basically all that would make me consider it.

I could also just dump pulls into trying to get Homa. That poo poo evaded me so many times now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fischl is in the starglitter shop rotation. If you want her C6 you can just wait a few months for her to come back into it. She might also come back around on another banner you want before then.

Neuvilette seems reasonably strong but not meta defining. He's very starved for teammates and weapons that have a high amount of synergy with him. Being hydro, he works well in a lot of teams, but there's nobody that specifically wants him, or that he specifically wants. Likely, future characters will fix this, but for the moment he's not really doing anything Ayato can't and there's several teams Ayato can do that Neuvilette lacks, while Neuvilette's only real advantage is being a bit better in hyperbloom, a team that works well with basically anything you find under the couch cushions. So there's no particular meta demand to pull for him at the moment. For reference, the team used in his trial is actually one of his better ones, so feel free to run it a couple times to see if it works for you.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 27, 2023

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Ah that’s good then - I had been away a while so didn’t know if Fischl ran somewhat recently in the shop. She and Sara are the two most frustrating c5’s I have because in the past I just couldn’t get that last constellation to drop for me, so it’s very tempting to just go all in until I get it this time. But I’ll check out the character demo if the team is actually a good one to feel him out.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

rio posted:

Ah that’s good then - I had been away a while so didn’t know if Fischl ran somewhat recently in the shop. She and Sara are the two most frustrating c5’s I have because in the past I just couldn’t get that last constellation to drop for me, so it’s very tempting to just go all in until I get it this time. But I’ll check out the character demo if the team is actually a good one to feel him out.
i mean the team pretty much killed everything before I could even charge up the lazer so its probably not a good assessment of anything

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
You should be using his skill and ult, which leave behind drops that will instantly charge his CA. Basically play him like a catalyst Tighnari.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Endorph posted:

Neuvilette seems reasonably strong but not meta defining. He's very starved for teammates and weapons that have a high amount of synergy with him. Being hydro, he works well in a lot of teams, but there's nobody that specifically wants him, or that he specifically wants. Likely, future characters will fix this

Got Neuv early and this mostly pre-answers my question but I’ll ask it anyways:

I really could use more 4* Constellations (Fischl/Diona are ~2C and XQ is 5C plus can’t afford him in the shop atm) and I’m trying to decide on pulling C1 on Neuv or getting it on Hu Tao.

Neuv’s sounds pretty good, but so far I can only find him a slot in Hyperbloom where I’m running John Lee for shields anyways.

Hu Tao’s C1 is supposed to be great but I’m pretty good at jump canceling so idk if free charge attacks is going to be some dramatic game changer for me. Still, it sounds like it’ll be a better choice than Neuv’s C1 I guess?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id get it for whichever one you feel like youre gonna use more

if you feel like thats equal then keep in mind neuvilette's c1 also increases his damage in teams that don't max out his stacks. he gains stacks based on hydro-related reactions, max 3 stacks, c1 just gives him 1 stack for free when he switches in. ergo he only needs there to be two hydro related reactions, not three. this means you can more freely run him in teams with two of the same element, like a neuvilette/fischl/beidou/kazuha taser team for instance, without sacrificing his damage. furina seems like a very good partner for him and is obviously hydro too so if you wanted her and wanted to run them together for Lore then his c1 would make that team even stronger.

that said hu tao's c1 increases her dps (not her overall damage over an entire rotation, but how fast she can get that damage out) even if you're perfect at jump cancelling at c0, which can increase clear times in abyss

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Nice thing about using Neuvillette with the BP catalyst, he will have a buff icon in the sidebar while the HP/EM boost effect is active.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
So now if you're doing quests or exploration or event stuff you don't have to do as many commissions? Kind of cool I guess, cuts down on grind a little. Also a bit of incentive not to do all the content in one go :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hu Tao's c1 feels very good to use and I'm happy I finally nabbed it.