Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Also it's been said time and time again at this point that while filming was never a cakewalk and the productions got progressively more awful, it was still an excuse to take a trip and hang out in person with friends from the site.

And film in-person and mass crossovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rK10DEJPP4
Dom Noble talks about a sequel to the "Maga hat" romance novel he did a while back. Mainly posting it because while it is a good video he does get the book's name wrong every single time he says it. He keeps calling it "Almost Family" when the book is titled "Almost A Family"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rK10DEJPP4
Dom Noble talks about a sequel to the "Maga hat" romance novel he did a while back. Mainly posting it because while it is a good video he does get the book's name wrong every single time he says it. He keeps calling it "Almost Family" when the book is titled "Almost A Family"

judging by the kerning on that title its actually Almost Afamily

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ian tortures himself some more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pot5c2NV588

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
actually loling at "almost afamily"

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Make Almost Great Afamily

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNqrBAWGtKA

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5aHMB4Tje4
New world-weary physics talk

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol hell yeah

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like that I am constantly finding new apparently massive channels that I never knew existed. I recently got recommended a video from a channel with over 6 million subscribers that I had never heard of, that sort of thing. there was some react chat earlier, and this just got recommended to me so why not. a therapist reacts to Wreck-It Ralph, I guess their whole channel is stuff like this. neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWI1F6xUGlQ&hd=1

for whatever people think of react content, I think ones like this are good and serve a purpose, to help people understand messaging, because like it or not there's a LOT of people who have trouble comprehending a lot of stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The subgenre of "Experts React" reaction videos is pretty fun because you get to hear some cool bits rather than just the "Dude, Pride Rock!" guy yelling at a screen.

Personal favourite is Jonathan Ferguson comparing video game firearms to his collection at the Royal Armouries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR9xeMU2uQ4

Insider also has a pretty fun "Historians React" series for films, but they can be a bit more hit and miss depending on the person reacting. Sometimes they're a curmudgeon, other times they're super enthusiastic and willing to let things slide for the sake of entertainment.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
A smaller pro-X reacts channel I like is this one.

sometimes it's a little shallow, but he has some good insights into why you would do something. I also like that as a professional chef, he is a lot less flashy than most of the personalities he's commenting on I'm also amused by the meta-ness of a reaction to reaction content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvpsyZVE9ts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPf_FfQvGoQ

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Antigravitas posted:

Turning your hobby into a career can ruin the hobby forever, but I don't regret becoming a professional computer toucher.

Being at a big crossover event was probably a good proposition during a time when collaborations were thought to be a major way of getting more views. In a views based economy that's worth money.

But yes, things were still being figured out and absolutely nobody involved had a clue. It was a dumb time, but also an inevitable one.

Ironically, I remember a lot of fans being extremely hostile to this idea.

Especially Spoony's fan base was known for not only being toxic, but also being rabidly anti-collaboration. Spoony often referenced the sheer rage parts of his fan base showed whenever he posted a cross-over on his site.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arc Hammer posted:

The subgenre of "Experts React" reaction videos is pretty fun because you get to hear some cool bits rather than just the "Dude, Pride Rock!" guy yelling at a screen.

Personal favourite is Jonathan Ferguson comparing video game firearms to his collection at the Royal Armouries:

Insider also has a pretty fun "Historians React" series for films, but they can be a bit more hit and miss depending on the person reacting. Sometimes they're a curmudgeon, other times they're super enthusiastic and willing to let things slide for the sake of entertainment.

Jonathan Ferguson is fantastic, because he plays games too and "gets" why some weapons may behave incorrectly for gameplay reasons, rather than nitpick them too far.

And makes it all the more fun when they deliberately torment him with cursed weapons from time to time :allears:.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Libluini posted:

Ironically, I remember a lot of fans being extremely hostile to this idea.

Especially Spoony's fan base was known for not only being toxic, but also being rabidly anti-collaboration. Spoony often referenced the sheer rage parts of his fan base showed whenever he posted a cross-over on his site.

Turns out most of Spoony's fans were always weird.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Jonathan Ferguson is fantastic, because he plays games too and "gets" why some weapons may behave incorrectly for gameplay reasons, rather than nitpick them too far.

And makes it all the more fun when they deliberately torment him with cursed weapons from time to time :allears:.

Reminder he’s in Cunk on Earth and he obviously gets it and is playing along for fun right from the get go.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Arc Hammer posted:

There's also this guy, an armour and arms historian who was asked to critique Warhammer media, and he rolls with it pretty well-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsCXcW9pDLk

Neddy Seagoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cjGCR6iRWU

The pump action MP5 from Shadow the Hedgehog was added to the game the day before this video dropped. They game dev made sure Jonathan got to see that one

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arivia posted:

Reminder he’s in Cunk on Earth and he obviously gets it and is playing along for fun right from the get go.

You can tell she's almost breaking him by the end but the interview cuts off before it gets all the way there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CF2Cq8QR-E

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Z05Ik5r2U
Drew spends too much money on something stupid. This time it is those Moonwalker shoes that are supposed to make you walk faster with some special guest stars.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's juicero but for heelies

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Arc Hammer posted:

GameSpot also brought on Toby Capwell to talk about armor in games and he's great. His first video is fairly critical, but he seems to now be in more of a groove where he's in more of a mood to educate more than critique.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Does anyone feel scammed for liking Shadiversity?

I know it's not new news, but I dunno, finding out he's a huge Right Wing scuzzball really shook me for some reason... I guess I thought I knew better after Jill Bearup doubled down on the gender essentialism not to trust channels devoted to swords and let my guard down.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MrQueasy posted:

I know it's not new news, but I dunno, finding out he's a huge Right Wing scuzzball really shook me for some reason... I guess I thought I knew better after Jill Bearup doubled down on the gender essentialism not to trust channels devoted to swords and let my guard down.

Yeah, why is it so hard to find someone who isn't a creep and is educated on swords to explain why the USAF swords are all designed like they're Rare-Epic quality?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Isn't skallagrim decent dude? I havent seen him saying anything lovely

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, why is it so hard to find someone who isn't a creep and is educated on swords to explain why the USAF swords are all designed like they're Rare-Epic quality?

it's because the army and the navy are a part of unbroken tradition going back a thousand years and in comparison the air force is younger than most extant countries. a soldier or a sailor has traditions going back to times where there was no such thing as a professional army or navy and that brings a breadth and honesty to many of their traditions that the air force, which has always been a more sterile professional endeavour, could never have.

so they try to get weird with it and it's just not as endearing as the more human weird poo poo the other branches get up to

at least, I assume that's the deal in the states that's the deal up in Canada

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The American Air Force has a bad rear end JRPG sword lmao, amazing

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

egg tats posted:

it's because the army and the navy are a part of unbroken tradition going back a thousand years and in comparison the air force is younger than most extant countries. a soldier or a sailor has traditions going back to times where there was no such thing as a professional army or navy and that brings a breadth and honesty to many of their traditions that the air force, which has always been a more sterile professional endeavour, could never have.

so they try to get weird with it and it's just not as endearing as the more human weird poo poo the other branches get up to

at least, I assume that's the deal in the states that's the deal up in Canada

US air force is also full of terrifying protestant evangelicals with a literal understanding of the bible, to the point where they consider it possible to completely take over all leadership positions. They seem like the kind of people who would respect a giant sword with lightning bolts all over it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

A? I saw like 9 of them on the one website, I'm sure there's tons more than that. That 's a way better souvenir for the inner child 'wow cool stick I found at the park' to like to have.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

MrQueasy posted:

Same thing for pizza reviews, why is it only the racist barstool guy?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I AM GRANDO posted:

US air force is also full of terrifying protestant evangelicals with a literal understanding of the bible, to the point where they consider it possible to completely take over all leadership positions. They seem like the kind of people who would respect a giant sword with lightning bolts all over it.
a very literal understanding of "nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore"

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DaysBefore posted:

But can they Climhazzard?

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Wanna live forever? Get a penis injected into your face!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeMJ_o3ME6U

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Z05Ik5r2U
Drew spends too much money on something stupid. This time it is those Moonwalker shoes that are supposed to make you walk faster with some special guest stars.

God that's funny, why are they so loud?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MrQueasy posted:

Shad seems like such a weird dumb motherfucking weirdo dumb poo poo that I legitimately strain to imagine how he cultivated an audience in the first place before we went mask off bigot chud shithead.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Why are you all being so intensely mean to the person asking a question about feeling sad about feeling betrayed by a youtuber turning out to be an rear end in a top hat. It's a pretty normal feeling to have and embarrassing that you can't have empathy for it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

nine-gear crow posted:

Shad seems like such a weird dumb motherfucking weirdo dumb poo poo that I legitimately strain to imagine how he cultivated an audience in the first place before we went mask off bigot chud shithead.

As far as I can tell his audience came largely in two flavours; the obnoxious "Ugh, that sword would never work in real life, and you can't wield a knife like that!" kind of internet loser who always has very important opinions on fantasy weaponry and constantly links to videos of fat nerds with swords to show how you "really" use a weapon or how impossible and impractical an anime sword would be because that fat guy can't even lift his replica up. Or the exact opposite, people who spend like a hundred or more dollars at the sword store in the mall every month and link their friends every video about how awesome it is that this guy made the buster sword IN REAL LIFE!1!1!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Impermanent posted:

Why are you all being so intensely mean to the person asking a question about feeling sad about feeling betrayed by a youtuber turning out to be an rear end in a top hat. It's a pretty normal feeling to have and embarrassing that you can't have empathy for it.

For what it's worth, I think everyone still posting in this terrible thread has gone through that exact process of their favourite YouTuber milkshake ducking themself at one point or another. For example, a lot of people were similarly betrayed by Brad Jones turning out to be a cocksmear, etc. I do t think this thread is entirely lacking in empathy.

But like holy poo poo Shad Brooks is just like a next level rear end in a top hat in comparison to all that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t know if I felt betrayed. I felt stupid for not realizing it earlier when the 40-year-old-man posted a series of reviews co-hosted by his 20-year-old girlfriend.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Impermanent posted:

I don’t see anyone being intensely mean to OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
yeah, it's not really that I felt betrayed, more like I got fooled by the exact same scam after thinking I had learned from the last time