Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

YerDa Zabam posted:

Not only that, but there's multiple options for rt as well as dlss and frame regent and ray regen and regen regen and so on
Looks lovely with all the fixins, makes me wish I had a mega computer

I managed to get a 6900 XT during the dark times (December 2020) and it's a mega GPU, but man I feel like I'm missing out so much compared to if I got a 3080. I'd love to have RT and DLSS. 😩

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

VostokProgram posted:

drat Dr. Cutress has fallen far indeed

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Oxford DPhil (aka PhD) program, and I've been involved in numerous important papers in high impact journals, and I have over 300 confirmed news scoops. I am trained in gorilla programming and I'm the top research chemist in the entire tech press. You are nothing to me but just another target. You think you can get away with leaving out my honorific title? Think again, fucker.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

repiv posted:

games like overwatch, valorant and counterstrike, sure, and players of those games are the primary market for such a fast monitor

Doom Eternal, too - a sufficiently fast many core CPU could push a GPU to the game’s 1000 fps cap, as best I remember. How well does a 4090 do at rampaging through the game?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I was trying to calculate the actual advantage you could possibly imagine to gain on a 500hz vs. 240hz monitor when the argument for these is competitive shooters whose servers run at a 120 tickrate.

Then I realized it's just audiophile level bullshit that can't be reasoned with and I should probably get a life.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
60 to 120 is generally noticeable in action games, but there comes a point where you just want number go up, wallet be damned.

That being said, even pro gamers playing counter-strike on dodgy adderall scrips for a million dollars a year in 2023 are still running their poo poo at 1024x768 stretched all low settings at 900 FPS on a 120 Hz monitor, so, who knows what actually matters these days.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

60 to 120 is generally noticeable in action games, but there comes a point where you just want number go up, wallet be damned.

That being said, even pro gamers playing counter-strike on dodgy adderall scrips for a million dollars a year in 2023 are still running their poo poo at 1024x768 stretched all low settings at 900 FPS on a 120 Hz monitor, so, who knows what actually matters these days.

Also with their noses an inch away from the screen while they adopt some kind of demon posture on the gamer chair

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Framerate seems more obvious the larger the screen gets too. 60fps on a typical 24-27" monitor can look super smooth, but if you're using a 40"+ TV as a screen, 60fps can seem slightly framier. I upgraded to a nice OLED TV a while back, and I like to keep at least 80fps or higher to keep games super smooth.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Framerate seems more obvious the larger the screen gets too. 60fps on a typical 24-27" monitor can look super smooth, but if you're using a 40"+ TV as a screen, 60fps can seem slightly framier. I upgraded to a nice OLED TV a while back, and I like to keep at least 80fps or higher to keep games super smooth.

Pretty sure that has more to do with screen type than screen size. OLED screens have nearly instant response times, which means there's less blur when going from frame to frame and the frame persistence time is longer. 30 FPS feels a lot more stuttery on an OLED than it does on an old and slow LCD.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
https://old.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/16t0har/newest_ltt_video_sponsor_suspended_by_kickstarter/

LOL they had a sponsored video that was killed after less than an hour after the sponsor was kicked off kickstarter for some unknown reason.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

30 FPS feels a lot more stuttery on an OLED than it does on an old and slow LCD.

Definitely. Been using a 42" LG C2 for a while now as a PC display and every now and then windows will set it to 60hz, it's an instant "this game feels like poo poo all of a sudden" thing, where as with my older TN/IPS panels I sometimes wouldn't catch it for a while.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
There's more to being able to see more frames and only in games like Overwatch where there's a ton of movement and visual noise going on. Also things like being able to read tiny fast moving text thanks to better pixel response times.

I have a 144 Hz monitor and lock most games to 60 or 80 just to keep the fans quiet, but I appreciate high refresh rate more than resolution when it comes to games.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

This but unironically. Ali seems like a good dude, and his opinions seem genuine. He's just really enthusiastic about this kind of stuff and he's also an obsessive and ridiculously good competitive fps player.

He does and I get his schtick is absurdly optimising everything to the point of borderline mental illness but like everything else he does, the viewer is going to run out of skill or money before a 360hz monitor is holding you back relative to a 500hz one. The people who may be able to benefit by virtue of skill are probably getting that poo poo free through sponsorship anyway.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I absolutely believe that there is a diminishing return on FPS.

You can definitely tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS. 60 and 90 do look a bit different. 90 and 120? Maybe? 120 and 150? Probably pretty hard to tell

And so on

If you saw the UFO test on a 240Hz OLED monitor, I guarantee you could tell the difference between 120Hz and 240Hz. I have no idea what the upper limit to that is, but I wouldn't be surprised if 480Hz noticeably better than 240Hz.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I was trying to calculate the actual advantage you could possibly imagine to gain on a 500hz vs. 240hz monitor when the argument for these is competitive shooters whose servers run at a 120 tickrate.

Then I realized it's just audiophile level bullshit that can't be reasoned with and I should probably get a life.

It makes no difference server-side, but there could still be advantages on the client. Beyond latency, just being able to see motion more clearly could be an advantage.

Inept posted:

I'm sure that guy can totally tell 540 vs 360hz and isn't just shilling that for some affiliate money

If you actually watch the video, he recommends not buying the monitor and waiting for a cheaper version that uses the same panel but without the G-Sync module. Not the best shilling

This but unironically. Ali seems like a good dude, and his opinions seem genuine. He's just really enthusiastic about this kind of stuff and he's also an obsessive and ridiculously good competitive fps player.

This study doesn't take into account other factors relevant to monitors such as persistence blur.

Except this one seems to, judging by the measured response times.

I agree with these takes. Comparing 360Hz to 540Hz isn't the same thing as comparing a 360Hz monitor to a 540Hz monitor. If you had a theoretically perfect display, would there be much difference? I have no idea. When comparing actual monitors in the real world, there could be a lot of improvements between a 360Hz display and a 540Hz one.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Can you even drive a modern 3d game at anything resembling 500fps at high resolution?
It involves computing the entire game-state in 2 miliseconds, so without seeing flamegraphs of the actual workload, I'm somewhat dubious of it.

Mind you, the only way to do it on Windows would be to use dtrace to determine the on-CPU busy status - but being able to get that high a resolution might result in a probe-effect so high, that even dtrace won't play nice with it.
Also, I can't remember if you need debugging symbols for it (I think you do, but they're not hard to come by nowadays), but I doubt that any video games are compiled without omitting the frame pointers, so it won't actually be possible.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The secret is that the game computes the game state asynchronously while the main thread simply just does reprojection based on mouse input (similar to the VR stuff) until it’s ready.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

gradenko_2000 posted:

Maddox actually turned out to be a pretty chill guy

he sued someone (a cohost or something) and it’s in the public record that maddox is a cuck.

he’s a shithead lol

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Calling someone a cuck in tyool 2023 is just telling on yourself.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

After comparing BG3 on my PC and the M1 Pro MBP: They both get similar framerates but 30-45 fps looks much smoother on the mac. I think variable refresh rate support is what makes the difference. To me, as an old, anything above 90fps is unnoticeable or useless reaction-time wise.

So to me, at least, VRR is much better for smoothness in the 30-60 fps range with underpowered GPU than any benefit post-60 fps.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

:goofy:

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Just flash a black frame every other frame and double your fps instantly :hehe:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It involves computing the entire game-state in 2 miliseconds, so without seeing flamegraphs of the actual workload, I'm somewhat dubious of it.

Mind you, the only way to do it on Windows would be to use dtrace to determine the on-CPU busy status - but being able to get that high a resolution might result in a probe-effect so high, that even dtrace won't play nice with it.
Also, I can't remember if you need debugging symbols for it (I think you do, but they're not hard to come by nowadays), but I doubt that any video games are compiled without omitting the frame pointers, so it won't actually be possible.

you’d definitely need to do things in a pretty modern was, with good cache-friendly structures and CPU parallelism and not updating the whole world every frame, but as I keep telling people at work two milliseconds is a long time for a modern high end computer. More than 65 million cycles for my CPU at base clocks across all 8 cores. I don’t have an easy way to include IPC in a comparison to say the PS4’s CPU, so I can’t check my intuition on this very well, I admit, but it feels possible to hit that target.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

<2ms frametime is absolutely doable in those games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx_bV1ZDVng&t=19s

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
And you don't need a 500 Hz monitor to prove it. All you have to do is turn vSync off.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

get your evidence out of my theorycrafting, thank you sir

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

if 2 milliseconds is so cool why does it take me 10 minutes to clean compile a loving DLL at work

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

VostokProgram posted:

if 2 milliseconds is so cool why does it take me 10 minutes to clean compile a loving DLL at work

Sounds like a skill issue

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

If it's like my work situation it's because IT assigned you an ultrabook to work on and it power/thermal throttles the moment something heavier than launching notepad happens.

Let alone launching an IDE with a large, monolithic codebase. :negative:

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Computer performance is :iiam: as gently caress and the more I try to dig and understand it the more I feel like it's hopeless. Though my software side understanding is even more lacking than my hardware side.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

you’d definitely need to do things in a pretty modern was, with good cache-friendly structures and CPU parallelism and not updating the whole world every frame, but as I keep telling people at work two milliseconds is a long time for a modern high end computer. More than 65 million cycles for my CPU at base clocks across all 8 cores. I don’t have an easy way to include IPC in a comparison to say the PS4’s CPU, so I can’t check my intuition on this very well, I admit, but it feels possible to hit that target.
Your CPU might be able to do 65 million cycles per second, but the vast majority of code doesn't manage 1 instruction per cycle because even if there's only one macro-operation per instruction, most also have at least one (usually much more) cycle latency - but more importantly, games don't scale linearly with number of CPU cores.
All of that, though, goes completely out the window since any processor we're talking about is both speculative, super-scalar, and out-of-order.

It sometimes feels like a loving miracle that we get anything done.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

If it's like my work situation it's because IT assigned you an ultrabook to work on and it power/thermal throttles the moment something heavier than launching notepad happens.

it's an i7-9800X desktop lol

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Your CPU might be able to do 65 million cycles per second, but the vast majority of code doesn't manage 1 instruction per cycle because even if there's only one macro-operation per instruction, most also have at least one (usually much more) cycle latency - but more importantly, games don't scale linearly with number of CPU cores.
All of that, though, goes completely out the window since any processor we're talking about is both speculative, super-scalar, and out-of-order.

It sometimes feels like a loving miracle that we get anything done.

During COVID when I wanted to do some computer experimentation, docker containers, home VPN, Media Server, security recording, remote desktop, etc I just bought a used workstation with a Xeon E5-2699 V3 and put 128GB of DDR4 into it.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but in my limited research, considering I don't game, don't plan on doing anything like video editing I could basically throw anything at it, at volume, without hitting any limits between it's 18 cores, 36 threads and 45 MB of cache.

Or I may be dumb, it seems to be doing fine with what I have thrown at it so far without even coming close to any performance limits, like, barely even breaking a sweat ever, I have never heard it's fans spin up.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mega Comrade posted:

ok? i was referring to the legal back and forth referenced in this episode of mic dicta:

https://m.soundcloud.com/micdicta/episode-10-but-i-always-took-it-serious

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I take a thermally throttled laptop over this development in a thin-client bullshit they’re pushing over here.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I’ve only had a company issued laptop once. Everyone got a MacBook no exceptions. I’m an embedded Linux developer. I did not last long at the job and quit within 6 months.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I take a thermally throttled laptop over this development in a thin-client bullshit they’re pushing over here.

Oh you like developing on VMs? It’d be a shame if IT rebooted em just sorta at random! Woops! Sorry dudes!

(This happens a lot at our work and god drat it’s annoying)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What annoys me more is the lovely frame rates when scrolling and other large screen area updates happen. And random lag loving up my typing vibes.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Phone posted:

ok? i was referring to the legal back and forth referenced in this episode of mic dicta:

https://m.soundcloud.com/micdicta/episode-10-but-i-always-took-it-serious

Its just a weird thing to bring up. Maddox has said a lot of really lovely things over the years you can point to if you want to prove he's a prick. Going after his private sex life is just bizarre.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Three Olives posted:

During COVID when I wanted to do some computer experimentation, docker containers, home VPN, Media Server, security recording, remote desktop, etc I just bought a used workstation with a Xeon E5-2699 V3 and put 128GB of DDR4 into it.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but in my limited research, considering I don't game, don't plan on doing anything like video editing I could basically throw anything at it, at volume, without hitting any limits between it's 18 cores, 36 threads and 45 MB of cache.

Or I may be dumb, it seems to be doing fine with what I have thrown at it so far without even coming close to any performance limits, like, barely even breaking a sweat ever, I have never heard it's fans spin up.
Thing is, none of that actually takes up a whole lot of CPU time, depending on how it's configured.

Most of it involves filesystem I/O which is never a significant portion unless you're doing something awfully wrong, and video recording as well as VPN both involve things that can be offloaded to dedicated circuitry on the CPU.

Also, all modern operating systems use a scheduler which divides work up into quanta of time units which then get their own slice of time to be executed in before they either voluntarily context switch or are forced to involuntarily context switch by the scheduler.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 28, 2023

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Thing is, none of that actually takes up a whole lot of CPU time, depending on how it's configured.

Most of it involves filesystem I/O which is never a significant portion unless you're doing something awfully wrong, and video recording as well as VPN both involve things that can be offloaded to dedicated circuitry on the CPU.

Also, all modern operating systems use a scheduler which divides work up into quanta of time units which then get their own slice of time to be executed in before they either voluntarily context switch or are forced to involuntarily context switch by the scheduler.

I think my thought was I might end up wanting to run some VMs for various tasks which do want dedicated CPU/RAM assignments.

I just didn't see in my use case and budget considerations where single-core performance would make much difference to me but a bunch of RAM and cores could be useful for loving around with various things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

Mega Comrade posted:

Its just a weird thing to bring up. Maddox has said a lot of really lovely things over the years you can point to if you want to prove he's a prick. Going after his private sex life is just bizarre.

I think it's less about that and more about the fact that it's a stupid lawsuit that he brought, and that he of all people should know better than to sue over dumb internet jokes