Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hey there, bipolar 2 + adhd goon checking in. many pills. I definitely struggle with situations where I am not skilled, but I intentionally work on it by doing things like playing games I'm bad at and failing to pick locks

I was not a child when I really confronted this aversion to incompetence, but the thing that was most helpful for me was a therapist who walked me through it somewhat like this:

"OK, let's say you're always going to be bad at that thing. what bad thing will happen if you fail at $thing? if you tried your best, then people should respect that, and you should too. if it's not going to cost you a job or your health, then you can just forget about it and look forward to the next try."

I dunno if that's helpful for a kid—I wouldn't want him to lose his job!—but I thought I'd offer it. ADHD is a gently caress, bipolar 2 is less of a gently caress if you can manage the depression part, but learning to endure failure is essential to a happy life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
failure in my MO

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

failure in my MO

And I hate failing or losing as much as anyone, but I hate letting anyone see me tilted even more.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MrQueasy posted:

He's really bad at dealing with the delta between his (often delusional) idea of how things should work and how things are. On top of that, he's also really bad at listening to others' experience and advice.

I'm sorry to tell you this but your kid is going to be an exec.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
cls: day 5? 7? of toddler not sleeping at all through the night, everyone is losing their minds :shepicide:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I took my 2 year old to the skate park with his balance bike and it’s crazy how good he is, we were there for 2 hours and he worked his way from going around on the flat parts and carrying his bike down 2ft ramps to looping around the whole thing and going down a 5ft ramp

Also its way easier for me compared to jogging down the sidewalk a few feet away from cars

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

pump tracks are a pro place to take the balance bike too

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014

MrQueasy posted:

It may be more of an autism-like thing related to how his ADHD manifests (though there's been some cool thought lately from the Neurodiverse community that maybe ADHD is more on the spectrum than sharing symptoms with the spectrum).

He's really bad at dealing with the delta between his (often delusional) idea of how things should work and how things are. On top of that, he's also really bad at listening to others' experience and advice.

I was hoping this would get better as he got older, but it feels like it's getting worse. Perhaps this is related to the bipolar 2 that runs in his mom's family? (I really hope not, because that probably means it's going to get a LOT worse as he continues through puberty)

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 30. While most preteens act like toddleresque shitheads from time to time, melt downs like what you describe sound like the meltdowns to which ADHD people are susceptible. The best way I can describe it is hubris. Not living up to your own expectations, even when those expectations are ludicrous.

For me personally, these meltdowns were present until I was into my 30s, in an ADHD support group and medicated. Their nature and triggers did change significantly over time (for example, getting mind-numbingly upset at 13 because I couldn’t beat a level in a video game vs getting mind-numbingly upset at 29 because I hated my job and felt stupid doing it[even though by all accounts, it was a perfectly respectable job and I was good at it]).

Going to an ADHD support group and realizing that I wasn’t alone with this, and learning how other people deal with it was one of biggest factors in finally dealing with these. (Reframing, talking a walk, etc) Also, these support groups did teach me that my outbursts seemed worse than the other people’s.

A reason I think I had this so much worse than other people with ADHD was that my mother has extremely negative self talk. While she was good as a parent in most respects, She modeled the absolute worst self-soothing skills for me and that’s why these uncontrollable outbursts would often get crazy in ways I am not entirely comfortable sharing. For example, Last time I was staying with her, I heard her repeatedly yelling “gently caress YOU, YOU loving PIECE OF poo poo” in the kitchen and then when I asked her what was wrong she said that she couldn’t tell whether or not the electric stove was on.

As a parent, your kids aren’t going to listen to poo poo you say, but they will copy
your behavior, so make sure you are modeling how to appropriately deal with anger.

Also, kids are like all humans in that when you tell them something, it sets off their reactance and they want to reject what you say. If you tell them that what they’re doing is fine, or better than they think, you run the risk of driving their thoughts in the opposite direction, especially if you are coming from an “i-told-you-so” perspective. The best way to help someone to think that they are not an idiot for sucking at being a goalie is to trick them into thinking that they thought of it themselves, which can be tough, but I am sure you can do it if you are clever.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
she slept mostly through the night thank god

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
2-year-old caught the last couple minutes of the Bills game yesterday after she woke up from her nap and despite her refusal to call it anything but "hockey" I think I'm going to pitch her commentary to the major networks:

"Oh! He fell down!.....He get up right now."

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
when my kiddo was about two she caught a little bit of an astros game at papaw's house

later that week i turned on some baseball and she looks at the tv, claps her hands exuberantly and hollers "what a fucken hit!!!"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

"Oh! He fell down!.....He get up right now."

Corla Plankun posted:

"what a fucken hit!!!"

:peanut:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

did anyone else’s baby shake their head a lot? my 8.5 month old has started shaking his head side to side a lot and i’m not sure why.

when you google it half the results are “does my baby have autism because he shakes his head?!?!” which lmao that’s really helpful google i’m glad you showed me those results.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Eeyo posted:

did anyone else’s baby shake their head a lot? my 8.5 month old has started shaking his head side to side a lot and i’m not sure why.

when you google it half the results are “does my baby have autism because he shakes his head?!?!” which lmao that’s really helpful google i’m glad you showed me those results.

Could it be discomfort related to teething or something?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
history of ear infections?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Dizzyness feels funny?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah after i posted that i thought about teething. that is what he does to toys or his hands sometimes, just sticks them in and shakes his head left to right. not sure if he's really teething yet, he's been doing that for like a month or something.

not sure on ear infections either. i mean he hasn't had one afaik, but that's not to say he doesn't have one because he can't talk. i certainly had a history of them as a kid so it's not impossible he's got those genes too.

and could be joy at feeling funny, babies are weird like that.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i'm with ear discomfort, teething discomfort or wheeeee shakin' head hell yeah

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

give him a frozen teething toy, that'll help narrow it down

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
teething is fuckkn hard ..

on the parents

people come in and basically look for everything they can get to stop baby crying and being miserable and I totally get it, but it’s also just something every human goes thru. it’s not trauma, it doesn’t cause lasting psychological distress. unfortunately there is a case for telling parents to suck it up. rather than fueling their kids up with as much ibuprofen and paracetamol and bonjela as they can. maybe my attitude comes across as really unsympathetic, i’m just wary of parents drowning their kids in pamol.

teething rings now that’s the way to go - and paleo option? give your kid some ribs

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

there's probably a middle ground between "pain relief medicine is forbidden" and "blasting timmy's liver with a gram of tylenol." maybe just, like, discuss dosing guidelines and the importance of writing things down with them?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Achmed Jones posted:

the importance of writing things down with them?

this is important because you can forget or not realize how much they're getting when its really bad and your just struggling to get through the days

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

there's probably a middle ground between "pain relief medicine is forbidden" and "blasting timmy's liver with a gram of tylenol." maybe just, like, discuss dosing guidelines and the importance of writing things down with them?

just dip a soother in whiskey

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

well yes of course lol

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

echinopsis posted:

teething rings now that’s the way to go - and paleo option? give your kid some ribs
yeah teething rings with tasty topical analgesic (or just ice) own. they end up needing way less drugs and are done way faster.

Mr. Crow posted:

this is important because you can forget or not realize how much they're getting when its really bad and your just struggling to get through the days
yeah we write down everything we give them in a shared schedule. helps a lot when your brain’s slee deprived to uselessness.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I remember once when I was a young pharmacist and reading facebook groups of people I knew and some mothers were talking about giving paracetamol/acetaminophen to their kids but the doses were way too high so I piped up and was like hey don’t do that and the primary mother of the group was like “please don’t come in here and criticise our parenting”

incredible lol

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

who needs kidneys anyway lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

how much were they giving them?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can't remember at all. over a decade ago

evil_bunnY posted:

who needs kidneys anyway lol

paracetamol/acetaminophen blows out your liver, it's ibuprofen that mangles your kidneys

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

echinopsis posted:

can't remember at all. over a decade ago

paracetamol/acetaminophen blows out your liver, it's ibuprofen that mangles your kidneys
ah yes, the wombo-combo, thanks for the correction. My MD parent reminded me in *no uncertain terms* to be watchful with intake of the fuckers, so we logged religiously.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

echinopsis posted:

I thought ibuprofen was your stomach as it was indicated for ulcers?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

our pediatrician gave us these cards with the time down one side and a bunch of stuff along the top

not just a medicine log but also poop and pee

felt fairly useful at the infant stage as new parents

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I thought ibuprofen was your stomach as it was indicated for ulcers?

it’s both really, but at least with the GI issues you can tell, you can’t feel it loving your kidneys

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

echinopsis posted:

it’s both really, but at least with the GI issues you can tell, you can’t feel it loving your kidneys

drat I never knew that thanks echi

I've been running a fever for three days now so alternate paracetamol and ibuprofen are keeping me vaguely functuonal

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

My toddler's new favorite thing is tidying. He'll dump all his toys on the floor and go "Daddy tidy!"

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

my wife was just telling me yesterday it's been ages since our kids threw up so of course our daughter threw up in her cot some time during the night :argh:

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
We just texted each other when we gave medicine. It worked great because it comes with a free timestamp

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

drat I never knew that thanks echi

I've been running a fever for three days now so alternate paracetamol and ibuprofen are keeping me vaguely functuonal

yeah I recommend people use these things, making sure they're not overdosing and going thru plenty of fluids for the ibuprofen (dehydration and NSAIDs are bad news) because they act as very effective anti-misery drugs. colds are poo poo, might as well take advantage of modern chems

the risk of kidney damage (acute renal failure) from nsaids alone isn't very high. throw in a diuretic and it gets risky. add an ace inhibitor or A2RI (like candesartan, interestingly, a drug class that acts on the receptor that covid has a passion for) and you get what is officially called the "triple whammy", which is a bullet train to acute renal failure. not many young people are on diuretics or ace/a2ri so we don't normally have to worry.. AND ibuprofen otc doses (1200mg daily) aren't quite as risky.

while im rambling : all nsaids are theoretically as effective as each other, you just gotta take enough. ibuprofen is prolly one of the safest, maybe naproxen comes close or is better, but we also dose people with ibuprofen otc at HALF the maximum dose. doctors prescribe up to 2400mg daily. at that dose, ibuprofen starts to have the same risks that diclofenac has (but also similar pain killing ability), for example. diclofenac/voltaren is only as effective as it is because drs or whoever tend to dose people at the maximum dose (150mg daily) which means you're operating at the top of the nsaid dose range for that drug. its no more effective than ibuprofen necessarily, its just that its commonly given at the upper limits of nsaid doses whereas ibuprofen is commonly given at half that.

good times my friends

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 27, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ms jones had some severe nausea and such a few months ago. it turned out she had picked up some voltaren and was completely ignoring the dosing instructions in favor of treating it like tiger balm or something.

so yeah that wasn't great. that stuff made me feel awful and i followed the instructions religiously. tbh i could probably go back on it since now i eat breakfast and a meal is the only thing that lets me mess with nsaids (except when it doesn't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
Apparently I've been lucky? Have never felt the need to use meds to placate my child and she's almost done with teething now.