Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Should have sprung for the nitinol tires, wouldn't have had to worry about the glass then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The one time I got a puncture on my non-tubeless bike I fixed it by injecting pressurized sealant in there and getting back on my way lol. gently caress a tube forever.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Invalido posted:

Thanks, I value this judgement. My e-bikes used for commuting sit on the fattest marathon pluses I can fit. Heavy and not fast but it's e-bikes so whatever, and punctures on those are so rare as not to bother me. The road bike is a different story but I don't commute much on it and don't ride it in foul weather so fixing a flat by the road every so often isn't a huge deal for me.

Counterpoint: heavy duty tyres like the marathon plus and gatorskin ride and corner like poo poo and you can run something like a gp5000 tubeless and get most of the puncture resistance while also being far superior in every other way.

My race and commuter bikes are both tubeless, my training bike will be tubeless as soon as the tyres need replacing and the only reason my MTB isn't is because I can't source schrader rim strips for old, narrow, 26" DT Swiss rims. I'm quite happy to trade off a little bit of maintenance, which can almost always be done at my leisure, against a massive reduction in the chance I'm going to have to sit at the side of the road getting cold, losing the feeling in my fingers trying to change a tube, getting later for work or whatever else I've managed to find the time between to go out for a ride.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

SimonSays posted:

Fine but these arguments never go anywhere and come up regularly hence "this is bait": tubeless is a fad because it's pointless for most riders (like most so-called improvements to bikes where you need to buy a new frame or wheelset or transmission to take advantage of it), it makes a simple five-minute tube replacement into a gross mess of cleaning up the gunk when you do wind up needing an emergency tube, and it's more expensive to do right than tubes.

If you're mountain biking in thorn country go tubeless, that's what it's for, but most people are perfectly well served by using tubes and the appropriate tires for the riding they do.

No, this is bait.

But I’ll take it anyway. Thorns are not even close to the top of the list of reasons I ride tubeless on my mountain bikes (and gravel bikes. I don’t have a road bike so can’t speak to that). At or near the top is the fact that it makes for much much greater resistance to pinch flats, which then allows for lower tire pressure and better grip and handling.

Is riding with tubes fine? Yeah, sure, in the same way that riding with a triple or no dropper post is fine. But riding tubeless (for dirt, at least) is better. Or at least worth trying. Just because it’s totally fine to do your thing and forego an improvement in technology/gear doesn’t mean it’s not an improvement.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Tubeless all the bikes. But if you don’t want to, that’s ok too. The most important thing is riding your bike

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thinking about sealant getting dry in my tires gives me bad feelings so I run tubes in all my bikes.

e: when I ran tubeless I was neurotic enough to go spin the wheels on my bikes to keep the sealant moving around or something.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
orange seal endurance is enough to get through a season in my experience, scrape it out in the spring add new sealant, get on with flat free life

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
For road:

Cost is about the same. You don't buy tubes but you do buy sealant.
Weight is about the same (tubes v sealant).
Hassle? Adding some air before a ride is a lot less hassle IMO than swapping a tube and hunting for tiny fragments in the tire like bici said, but that's just me. YMMV.

Basically it's a wash, but tubeless is more reliable (impervious to small punctures) which is extremely valuable for some folks. I'm glad I don't need to rely on a single spare inner tube on a long remote ride out of cell coverage for example.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I commute on tubeless marathon supremes and deliberately aim for broken glass to assert dominance over the jerks that put it there and clean the path a little for my fellow cyclists

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I ride on solid tungsten wheels to destroy any road debris I come across.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

vikingstrike posted:

Tubeless all the bikes. But if you don’t want to, that’s ok too. The most important thing is riding your bike

Pick a side :colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

jammyozzy posted:

I commute on tubeless marathon supremes and deliberately aim for broken glass to assert dominance over the jerks that put it there and clean the path a little for my fellow cyclists

Idk man, you can see the big cutty chunks easily but if you're grinding them up you're just turning them into those little grains that give you a time delayed puncture as they work their way in, if you've got tubes

That style of puncture is one of the reasons I went tubeless admittedly

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just make the tire out of debris.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

yeah unless you use a bike just a couple times a year it should prob be tubeless. Also track bikes get a pass (they should be on delicious tubs instead)

sweat poteto posted:

Basically it's a wash, but tubeless is more reliable (impervious to small punctures) which is extremely valuable for some folks. I'm glad I don't need to rely on a single spare inner tube on a long remote ride out of cell coverage for example.
And if you carry a couple of plugs and a boot patch/glue it’ll take a serious cut to send you home.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
How does sealant do in freezing temps?

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Mr Newsman posted:

Should have sprung for the nitinol tires, wouldn't have had to worry about the glass then!

Note: this angered the universe and I got back to my commuter after work and the tire was flat.

Tube life :smith:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Invalido posted:

How does sealant do in freezing temps?

That’s when you use Orange Seal Subzero, down to negative thirty Celsius.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Platystemon posted:

That’s when you use Orange Seal Subzero, down to negative thirty Celsius.

That's what I've been putting in my tires, will try peaty holeshot next.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Skarsnik posted:

I have. All my bikes are tubeless. I just don’t give a poo poo what you do. :)

I’ve found the hassle isn’t that bad. I enjoy less punctures that force me to do things in the moment. I’m also a big fan of lower pressures and more comfortable rides. Once you get your system down for doing it, it’s really not that bad imo and ime. I even converted my daughters Woom 4 off tubeless.

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 26, 2023

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Skarsnik posted:

Still running sewups on two bikes.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Finally got back home and replaced the square taper BB on my creaky loose cranks and no more wiggle or creaking so I guess the crank arm wasn't damaged, which is a relief because that thing cost way more than a BB

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

bicievino posted:

I commute in foul weather with it being dark on both ends of the commute for 6 months out of the year.

Tubeless is well worth the annoyances for that application - saving even one ordeal of fighting with trying to find the tiny piece of wire or glass that is too small to see in the dark but still big enough to puncture the tube is worth it.
For folks with well groomed roads who don't deal with that - I'm jealous! I'd probably stick with tubes if I could.

I feel like modern armoured tyres are more worry free for commuting vs tubeless.

At 5 miles each way, don’t care much about performance.

You might get away with lighter tyres if you’re tubeless, and I can see that being important for longer commutes.

FWIW I commute on tubeless Pirelli Cinturato Velo, belt and braces.

I’ve done the commute before on fast road tyres (gp5000) tubeless and otherwise. Both get regular punctures requiring intervention of some sort, it’s not worth it.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

wooger posted:

I feel like modern armoured tyres are more worry free for commuting vs tubeless.

At 5 miles each way, don’t care much about performance.

You might get away with lighter tyres if you’re tubeless, and I can see that being important for longer commutes.

FWIW I commute on tubeless Pirelli Cinturato Velo, belt and braces.

I’ve done the commute before on fast road tyres (gp5000) tubeless and otherwise. Both get regular punctures requiring intervention of some sort, it’s not worth it.

I've tried running with all the heaviest un-fun tubed commuter tires (gatorskins, marathons, etc), and have found that tubeless is still more hassle-free for me. Could be down to just the kind of poo poo on the roads here vs. wherever you are, I suppose.

I'm currently also using tubeless cinturato velos, but recently heard that they make a marathon tubeless now, and will probably go to that next.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
I replaced a bike chain and ended up with a couple of extra links. Is there any reason to hold on to them? Relatedly is there a better place for the old chain than the trash?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

ohhyeah posted:

I replaced a bike chain and ended up with a couple of extra links. Is there any reason to hold on to them? Relatedly is there a better place for the old chain than the trash?
It's my goal to buy enough different looking chains and connect those extra links with a bunch of pins to put a stupid-rear end looking frankenchain on my SS bike. It's been a few years and I haven't looked at the bag recently, but I might be getting close.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I got a pinhole puncture in my tubeless road setup (Enve ses 29s) on the fast people ride on Sunday about 12 miles from the end. I let the thing seal for a half a minute, hit it with the hand pump to top off the pressure, and was able to catch back on and ride in the final sprint (2nd place :( ). Try that with tubes.

(Granted, that’s pretty much the dream tubeless scenario. Huge luck that it happened like that)

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
My story with tubeless was that I set them up and 5 feet from my house got a 3/4" slash that ended that loving ride and tubeless on that tire

Pooper Hero
Sep 11, 2001
The costumed crapper

bicievino posted:

Still running sewups on two bikes.

Run orange seal inside the tubes. I actually did this for flats until switching to tubeless on my fixie.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Pooper Hero posted:

Run orange seal inside the tubes. I actually did this for flats until switching to tubeless on my fixie.

I did this for a bit on my folding bike but it didn’t make much difference ime other than mess when I did flat

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

ohhyeah posted:

Grab some key rings and make a couple of these for the heck of it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

Grab some key rings and make a couple of these for the heck of it

These are like the bicycle version of the cool S

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’m about 3/4 of the way to my harlequin chain, can’t wait to throw it on the cross bike

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I need to raise my bars, at least 20mm maybe as much as 40mm

I have this bike: https://bikes.com/products/solo-c50-23?variant=43474991120619

as far as I can tell, the stem is already at the top of the steerer tube, and the tube is carbon

what are my options?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Get a stem that rises at a steeper angle.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Specialized has a bar that has 15mm of rise if stem aesthetics bother you a lot

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/hover-expert-alloy-handlebars--15mm-rise/p/156001

There’s also steerer extenders, though I can’t recommend those for serious riding. That and they don’t extend just a little bit like 40mm.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Just fitted two new tires to my partner's MTB and set it up for tubeless with sealant etc. then realised I'd fitted the front tire around the wrong way fml. Going to fix it tomorrow, not looking forward to the sealant mess. I figure I can deflate the tire, take the bead off one side and pour most of the sealant out before pulling the tire off completely.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

tylertfb posted:

[...] was able to catch back on and ride in the final sprint (2nd place :( ). Try that with tubes.

Try*that* in a small tube

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Blackhawk posted:

Just fitted two new tires to my partner's MTB and set it up for tubeless with sealant etc. then realised I'd fitted the front tire around the wrong way fml. Going to fix it tomorrow, not looking forward to the sealant mess. I figure I can deflate the tire, take the bead off one side and pour most of the sealant out before pulling the tire off completely.
Rim brake superiority right here.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Blackhawk posted:

I'd fitted the front tire around the wrong way fml.
I simply live with my mistake and feel shame every time I see it. Ask me about my wheels with the spokes crossing over the valve stem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CopperHound posted:

Ask me about my wheels with the spokes crossing over the valve stem.

Monstrous, inhuman