Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

dipwood posted:

I get the impression from manga that mental health is basically a joke in Japan.

The scenes from the juvenile detention facility, where attempts at the rehabilitation of 14-year old, clearly mentally disturbed boy who murdered his cousins seemed to consist solely of "kneel here for several hours and think hard about the horrible things you have done" were particularly egerious.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

dipwood posted:

I get the impression from manga that mental health is basically a joke in Japan.

I mean, the manga for A Silent Voice almost didn't get published for similar reasons about the treatment of handicapped people.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Tangently related (physical disabilities) and may have been mentioned but Real (wheelchair basketball manga by the writer of Slam Dunk) had a chapter last month after like a two year hiatus.

It's one of my favourite manga, and I think it counts as seinen.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Squidster posted:

It's been a long time, but a new chapter of The Bugle Call just dropped.

Beloved Empress

thanks for posting. this manga owns.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Tenkaichi 30

Holy poo poo, Hanzo actually won :stare:

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I'll believe Kojiro is dead when I see the corpse. But yeah, what an upset!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Tenkaichi 30

After months of predicting that it would be Hanzo eating poo poo because Kojiro was blatantly set up against Musashi both historically and in the story itself. I'm happy my guy Hanzo actually pulled out the W and used Musashi against Kojiro in the best way possible. :woop:

Emzedoh posted:

I'll believe Kojiro is dead when I see the corpse. But yeah, what an upset!

Same honestly, I theorized that Hanzo could survive this match by faking his death so it's entirely possible Kojiro manages to do the same. He was alive going into that fall so we'll see.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
despite winning, he's basically out now. hanzo uses a spear, which he can't really do with one hand. some of the contestants are bullshit enough to not be fazed by that sort of thing, but hanzo's just some guy.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Tbh my first thought is that he's gonna get some sort of prosthetics, probably with some form of hidden weapons or tricks too.

I have no idea if that's realistic for this time period, but the series is playing it loose with realism anyway

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This version of Kojiro was not very interesting so I'm fine with him losing.

Hanzo's going to need a magic prosthetic arm or something though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sindai posted:

This version of Kojiro was not very interesting so I'm fine with him losing.

Hanzo's going to need a magic prosthetic arm or something though.

If the author is a fan of Sekiro, we can probably swing something in time for the next round.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ninjas with prosthesis limbs are a thing that predate sekiro by a while and is practically a genre staple for stories involving ninja.

Hell yeah Hanzo.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

blizzardvizard posted:

Tenkaichi 30

It was a good trick.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Seeing that cross section of Hanzo's spear was interesting. I never considered that there would be something inside the pole.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I didn't see a better thread for it but worth saying: that Pluto anime loving rules as hard as you'd hope a Pluto anime would

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

blizzardvizard posted:

Tenkaichi 30

God gently caress yes. Was rooting for Hanzo all the time, biggest underdog on the tournament by miles.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

despite winning, he's basically out now. hanzo uses a spear, which he can't really do with one hand. some of the contestants are bullshit enough to not be fazed by that sort of thing, but hanzo's just some guy.

He only used a spear to match Tadakatsu, it's gonna turn out he's better at one-handed weapons or use prostetics poo poo unlike the others. He did get more damage than anyone else in the tournament so far though, so unless the winner of the next fight gets equally roughed up, he is in for a bad time

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

I didn't see a better thread for it but worth saying: that Pluto anime loving rules as hard as you'd hope a Pluto anime would

It finally came out? Hot drat I'll have something to watch later this week.

Mindblast posted:

Seeing that cross section of Hanzo's spear was interesting. I never considered that there would be something inside the pole.

Some kind of sliding mechanism is all I can guess. Or the reservoir of poison for the 2nd spear tip

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Pluto anime is pretty good. I'm seeing a lot of complaints from people in the industry that it messed with a bunch of animators work by replacing their hand drawn effects with CG or doing a lot of weird compositing over it, as well as being uninspired with the camera, and comparing it unfavorably with the direction of "Monster" which apparently used the animated medium better. But it's still a competent adaption of Pluto and that manga is great so the adaption is also decent.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I personally think it’s an excellent adaptation and while the directing is a bit flat in that you can basically see the panels they were putting on screen, the ending flows a lot better. In the manga I felt there were a bunch of big reveals all smooshed together and the adaptation gives everything a bit more breathing room. Maybe I just have better tolerance for infodumps when it’s spoken dialogue and not walls of text.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
First PV for Mysteries, Maidens, and Mysterious Disappearances is out. We'll also be seeing an official english TL starting Next year so hats off to the author for their current and continued success.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Brought To You By posted:

First PV for Mysteries, Maidens, and Mysterious Disappearances is out. We'll also be seeing an official english TL starting Next year so hats off to the author for their current and continued success.

I tried to read this series years ago, and it started out kind of interesting but there was a real drop in the art quality after the first couple of arcs, maybe it was an issue of it getting rushed for publication deadlines.

It was also one of those manga where the art is very horny in a way that doesn't really mesh with the rest of the story.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Usuzumi No Hate is basically Blame! combined with NieR Automata

It has some fantastic art

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pretty bold comparison to be making. Means comparing the series to some very high standards.

Only finished the first chapter as I write this post, but it seems alright so far. Looks nice, but so far it's more "this is a nice abandoned city" than Blame or Nier Automata style "Holy crap" (admittedly, Automata got a lot of boost from the soundtrack there).

One thing that stands out in a mildly negative way, though, is how talky it is. The protagonist has constant narration. Some of it feels redundant in and of itself, but more than that, it hurts the Berserk comparison. The quiet emptiness of that manga makes the whole tone, and it would evaporate if Killy had thought balloons explaining everything.

But again, that's the high standards of comparison bit. In and of itself, so far I'm interested enough to keep going. Not a bad place to be.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's a good series. Definitely inspired by Blame! but not as out there.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is this the place to talk about heavenly delusion (tengoku daimakyou)? Because Holy poo poo I just finished the first season and what a ride that was.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well, there's an anime thread for it, but I'm not sure if there's been a manga thread for it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
poo poo, thanks. I looked all over for it but apparently I can't see anything on the app.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's a new Mieruko-chan, and it's taking one step out of the current arc and stepping right into the next arc without hesitation. I have to say it's been really good at hooking me to the supernatural story of the series, I wasn't sure how it would do past the initial oneshots but it's still a series I immediately read the moment a new chapter hits.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tenkaichi 32

I'm going all in on Yasukecoin, we need more non-sword guys in this and Club+Shield is a cool weapon combo.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Tenkaichi 32

I'm going all in on Yasukecoin, we need more non-sword guys in this and Club+Shield is a cool weapon combo.

I feel like yasuke is a much better bet than William Adams turned out to be. as far as making it out of the first round. Gotta get some gaijin representation on the bracket and we're so far looking good in that Yasuke isn't a surprise sexual predator or something.

Worth noting that this is the 2nd time a character's weapon choice was retconned between their initial appearance and actual fight. Yasuke had like 8 sticks strapped to his body originally and his tournament blurb said he practiced some two stick fighting style native to southern africa. Now he's rocking the Club and Shield which isn't a bad change mind you, and the story is leaning to the theme of strongest spear vs Strongest shield so I'm interested.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

Worth noting that this is the 2nd time a character's weapon choice was retconned between their initial appearance and actual fight. Yasuke had like 8 sticks strapped to his body originally and his tournament blurb said he practiced some two stick fighting style native to southern africa. Now he's rocking the Club and Shield which isn't a bad change mind you, and the story is leaning to the theme of strongest spear vs Strongest shield so I'm interested.

Either that or his shield is shattered during the fight and he switches to dual club style.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Looks like a new group picked up Ura Baitou again!

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

https://mangadex.org/title/51e1b2f2-8e20-4ece-a271-81959e37e22d/azumi

azumi is finally finished. sort of ends on probably the weakest arc in the series

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

no kiichi vs for a while, but some more hideki arai is being translated, this time irene

https://mangadex.org/title/8e5cb227-2190-4d86-8b63-6962759aec52/irene-of-love-revisted

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

the wacky kiryu side story devils x devil is getting translated

https://mangadex.org/title/7a4c489d-4838-4b84-98e4-da054481a09a/devils-devil-kiryu-in-paris

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Another ominous toot from the Bugle Call!
Plans for the Future

The Pope is def. a real piece of poo poo, but they really do need super-soldiers to hold off the Empire. Zoe is the child at the center of Omelas, only she's too brainwashed to realize how terrible her life is. At least Lucas is in her corner!

I do also wonder how recent the Ramus are; I suspect they've only been around for a century at most.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

finally. volume 5 of kiichi.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/196b3ac1-de75-43ea-8cea-58903733dd04

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Squidster posted:

Another ominous toot from the Bugle Call!
Plans for the Future

The Pope is def. a real piece of poo poo, but they really do need super-soldiers to hold off the Empire. Zoe is the child at the center of Omelas, only she's too brainwashed to realize how terrible her life is. At least Lucas is in her corner!

I do also wonder how recent the Ramus are; I suspect they've only been around for a century at most.

I loved that performance of the neck-cracker suite.:discourse:

As for your spoilers I'd agree the ramus are recent. Probably only 2-3 generations but it's possible this isn't the first occurrence of Ramus given the towers are these ancient structures.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
A new chapter of Bugle's call dropped.
New guy has a couple death flags on him so we'll see how long he lasts. We're putting the Garland in more focus as well, gonna be interesting to see what her father's deal is and how the Pope plans to usurp her powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
The Bugle Call is so loving good. it needs more eyes on it and an official translation ASAP