Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Doctor Malaver posted:

Is there a thread about casual games?

I want to play something cooperatively with my partner. Each on our own laptop, or mobile, or even sharing the laptop. She's currently playing Merge Dragons and similar cutesy no-opponent games so looking for something with a similar feel. No dry logic games.

The Lego games have enemies but are pretty fun to play coop. I used to play them with my non-gaming roommate.

The we were here series is fun for puzzling and yelling at your partner about communication, but a few of them are time based if you consider that an opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Doctor Malaver posted:

I want to play something cooperatively with my partner. Each on our own laptop, or mobile, or even sharing the laptop. She's currently playing Merge Dragons and similar cutesy no-opponent games so looking for something with a similar feel. No dry logic games.

PHOGS!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

is dave the diver worth it at full price? it looks like it could be fun

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Some of the one-off minigame levels are lame but Dave the Diver is really good

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I really enjoy games where there is a lot of "game" going on, but I'm taking a back seat to the action. Especially games that require more effort at the start and then become more automated/easier later on through skill trees, town building, upgrades of some sort. Some examples..

Vampire Survivors and all the clones - I'm not having to aim, tons of upgrades and unlocks.
Stardew Valley/Nova Lands - Early on there is a lot to do, but as time goes on it becomes easier through upgrades and unlocks.
Facterio, Dyson Sphere, Satisfactory - Whole game is about automation
Majesty Series - Building a town while the heroes do the work.
Mini Metro/Mini Motorways - Small amount of clicks but mostly watching it play out, at least the way I play.
Idle Games - Probably have played and enjoyed most. Too many to list.

What other games have that type of feel where I may not do much for a few minutes while the game does its thing?

Malt fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 21, 2023

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ilmucche posted:

is dave the diver worth it at full price? it looks like it could be fun

Hwurmp posted:

Some of the one-off minigame levels are lame but Dave the Diver is really good

yeah there's some stuff in it i dont enjoy doing, but there's so much stuff to do and almost all of it is really fun. really good progression pace, just when old stuff starts feeling a little meh you get some hot new stuff to do, the minigames are all pretty small on their own and nothing ever overstays its welcome. rad rear end game

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Malt posted:

I really enjoy games where there is a lot of "game" going on, but I'm taking a back seat to the action. Especially games that require more effort at the start and then become more automated/easier later on through skill trees, town building, upgrades of some sort. Some examples..

Vampire Survivors and all the clones - I'm not having to aim, tons of upgrades and unlocks.
Stardew Valley/Nova Lands - Early on there is a lot to do, but as time goes on it becomes easier through upgrades and unlocks.
Mini Metro/Mini Motorways - Small amount of clicks but mostly watching it play out, at least the way I play.

What other games have that type of feel where I may not do much for a few minutes while the game does its thing?

Every Paradox game ever?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Malt posted:

The Riftbreaker
Supreme Commander
Ixion

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Doctor Malaver posted:

Something silly like Overcooked or Moving Out, maybe? For something without a timer ticking down on you, a chill life/farm simulator like Stardew Valley or Dinkum. Plenty more in that category lately, though not all of them are multiplayer.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Malt posted:

Distant Worlds 2 though it may be too much what you want - you can turn on all the automation and run the game on screensaver mode from day 1

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Malt posted:

Space station 13

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Malt posted:

Oxygen Not Included

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Malt posted:

Oh and desynched is the platonic ideal of this but still a bit early access janky - wishlist it and grab it in the Christmas sale when there's been a few more months of baking.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Malt posted:

For me this is Anno games. Just work to balance your economy and watch bars for a while to see that it works, then do another burst of expansion, balance that, then expand...

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Banished maybe? I never really got the lategame stable and always had the big waves of people homeless until loads of people died so maybe there's more management needed

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Jack Trades posted:

Recommendations for good and/or interesting nonogram/picross games on PC?

PictoQuest is pretty good.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Banished maybe? I never really got the lategame stable and always had the big waves of people homeless until loads of people died so maybe there's more management needed

Ha, Banished is the only city builder to make me anxious while playing. I guess it doesn't require much input moment-to-moment, but running out of basically anything can put you in an unrecoverable death spiral you may not even notice until well after the fatal mistake. I felt like I was monitoring graphs and numbers like it was a nuclear reactor.

Ostriv is an almost painfully slow city builder in which it's also possible to fail without immediately realizing it, but the glacial pace of building anything removes a lot of the perceived pressure. I recommend it almost as a joke, but the first phase of the game in which you race to build housing for your settlers before winter hits requires about 60 seconds of interaction and is followed by 30 minutes of watching construction.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Party Boat posted:

Stardew Valley is the current co-op n chill game of choice for me and Mrs Boat as well

We play Astroneer quite a bit as well which is cutesy, low stakes crafting / survival in space. There's some mildly hostile flora but not really much in the way of "enemies"

You are your own enemy in Astroneer in my experience. Maybe check out Grounded? It has more antagonism but in general the combat is fairly forgiving IMO and the over all tone of the game is pretty upbeat/adventurous.

Edit: Unless one of you has like... diagnosable arachnophobia. Skip it then.

Ostrava fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 23, 2023

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I'm having a really strong urge to play a space 4X, but I'm about 10 years behind the curve on what's considered the cream of the crop and I don't have £170 to spend on Stellaris expansions. Should I buy Endless Space 2 while the complete collection is on sale, or get GalCiv 3's big expansions?

I own the base edition of GalCiv 3 and played a lot of 2 back in the day, but my favorite 4X titles tend to be more streamlined with asymmetric factions, and I've had a lot of fun with Endless Legend. I would just play Sword of the Stars again, but the game's community documentation is non-existent at this point and the game is incredibly hostile to anyone trying to actually understand how it works without third-party info.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Endless Space 2 is very good.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Zeerust posted:

my favorite 4X titles tend to be more streamlined with asymmetric factions, and I've had a lot of fun with Endless Legend

Endless Space 2 looks like a no-brainer. Amplitude games are all about the streamlining and asymmetry. And coming from EL, you'll be amused to find the Vaulters as a faction in this one too.

If you get the complete pack, note that you may want to deactivate Awakening, which adds a major nuisance in the Academy Empire, and possibly Penumbra depending on how you feel about the hacking mechanics (at any rate, you may want to start without it and activate it for later games once you're happy with the base mechanics). Like other Amplitude games, DLCs can easily be activated/deactivated in-game from the main menu.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 23, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ostrava posted:

You are your own enemy in Astroneer in my experience. Maybe check out Grounded? It has more antagonism but in general the combat is fairly forgiving IMO and the over all tone of the game is pretty upbeat/adventurous.

Edit: Unless one of you has like... diagnosable arachnophobia. Skip it then.
Are there goals in astroneer other than not dying? It seems very much like something I and my wife would like playing together but I'm worried we'll stall out afer putting time in without at least some clear "here's a visually distinct biome with important materials in it" goals. For reference Valheim was very good at enticing us to go do stuff (until we ran out of EA content).

E: lol I'm thinking of stationeers. Or space engineers. Which one has the best co-op space gardening.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 23, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Splicer posted:

E: lol I'm thinking of stationeers. Or space engineers. Which one has the best co-op space gardening.

Stationeers is, imo, the better of the two games and for your specific criteria is easily the winner. Space Engineers is still a decent game but is more sandboxy build-your-own-spaceship and shoot each other vibes where-as Stationeers is survive-on-a-planet.

Do be warned that Stationeers is not an easy game and has an intentionally obtuse UI and mechanics where you're highly likely to accidently turn your base into a crater when you turn on your welding torch in the 100% oxygen shelter you just set up.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Splicer posted:

Are there goals in astroneer other than not dying? It seems very much like something I and my wife would like playing together but I'm worried we'll stall out afer putting time in without at least some clear "here's a visually distinct biome with important materials in it" goals. For reference Valheim was very good at enticing us to go do stuff (until we ran out of EA content).

I don't want to spoil anything so I'll just ask how deeply have you dug?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Could anyone recommend a good online multiplayer game that is fairly pick up and play and doesn't require regular commitment? Preferably an action game or action RPG? My PUBG group is getting tired of the regular aimbotters and losing interest in the game so if like to find something new to keep the same people together. Probably not another competitive shooter which might have the same issues with cheaters, and nothing that requires hundreds/thousands of hours of getting good like DOTA or LoL, just something that could be satisfying to play together for two or three houts a night once a week?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

No Dignity posted:

Could anyone recommend a good online multiplayer game that is fairly pick up and play and doesn't require regular commitment? Preferably an action game or action RPG? My PUBG group is getting tired of the regular aimbotters and losing interest in the game so if like to find something new to keep the same people together. Probably not another competitive shooter which might have the same issues with cheaters, and nothing that requires hundreds/thousands of hours of getting good like DOTA or LoL, just something that could be satisfying to play together for two or three houts a night once a week?

Deep Rock Galactic
Earth Defense Force 5
Stardew Valley

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 24, 2023

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

No Dignity posted:

In addition to the above Deep Rock/EDF/Stardew Valley:

Darktide
Vermintide 2
Payday 2
Monster Hunter World/Rise
Helldivers
Gunfire Reborn
Risk of Rain 2
Hammerwatch series
V Rising
Valheim
Ember Knights
Overcooked/Plate Up
Remnant/Remnant 2

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Thabk you for the recs, I think I'll float Risk of Rain 2 and Ember Knights see if either vibes with the gang

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Deep Rock Galactic really is perfect for this. Pubbies are almost universally friendly, or you can just play with your squad (so long as the squad is 4 or fewer people). Gameplay is non-competitive PvE with reasonably short sessions. You can tune the difficulty over a pretty wide band.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Zeerust posted:

I'm having a really strong urge to play a space 4X, but I'm about 10 years behind the curve on what's considered the cream of the crop and I don't have £170 to spend on Stellaris expansions. Should I buy Endless Space 2 while the complete collection is on sale, or get GalCiv 3's big expansions?

I own the base edition of GalCiv 3 and played a lot of 2 back in the day, but my favorite 4X titles tend to be more streamlined with asymmetric factions, and I've had a lot of fun with Endless Legend. I would just play Sword of the Stars again, but the game's community documentation is non-existent at this point and the game is incredibly hostile to anyone trying to actually understand how it works without third-party info.

Regardong Stellaris, a new player is only going to want to start with a couple dlc. They add a ton of gameplay features that will be overwhelming and you won’t even see most of the new content in a single playthrough.

Utopia is a must. Distant Stars and Leviathans are very cool and don’t complicate things too much, so pick one or both. That’s it.

Later on, I picked dlc based on if I wanted to be a megacorp/robot/archaeologist/galactic terror etc.but there’s plenty to chew on in the base game already.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ostrava posted:

I don't want to spoil anything so I'll just ask how deeply have you dug?
Oh, we just haven't played in a while. I know there's new stuff (though not what all of it is so don't say anything!) and we literally just started a new server so we'll see how much has been added.

Rynoto posted:

Stationeers is, imo, the better of the two games and for your specific criteria is easily the winner. Space Engineers is still a decent game but is more sandboxy build-your-own-spaceship and shoot each other vibes where-as Stationeers is survive-on-a-planet.

Do be warned that Stationeers is not an easy game and has an intentionally obtuse UI and mechanics where you're highly likely to accidently turn your base into a crater when you turn on your welding torch in the 100% oxygen shelter you just set up.
Cheers, I'll keep an eye out for the next sale and give it a go!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 24, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

No Dignity posted:

Mechwarrior 5. You can pilot a lance of up to 4 and run around doing missions (against the AI) in big stompy mechs. Most of the missions are pretty short though.

Maybe that new SWAT game for another shooter? Something like vermintide or whatever the 40k equivalent is?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
With Monster Hunter, I'd go with Rise for playing through with a friend. I think World is the better series intro and I prefer its gameplay overall (:gaz:), but it also makes story mode co-op a pain in the rear end.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
IMO main issue with DRG is that it gets pretty repetitive after a while. While the terrain generation algorithm is fantastic, me and my buddy both started losing interest after we'd promoted a couple times and we were starting to do Haz 5's.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Shine posted:

With Monster Hunter, I'd go with Rise for playing through with a friend. I think World is the better series intro and I prefer its gameplay overall (:gaz:), but it also makes story mode co-op a pain in the rear end.

every time i swap between rise and world i miss the other one

rise ultimately wins out because playing with a friend isn't a huge pain but man i miss world's environments

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

ninjewtsu posted:

every time i swap between rise and world i miss the other one

rise ultimately wins out because playing with a friend isn't a huge pain but man i miss world's environments

Yeah, World (especially with the high res texture pack) is just a gorgeous game. I once responded to an exploration SOS in the Ancient Forest, and after helping them bonk a Rathalos or whatever, we hung out by the ocean, fishing and chatting. It was so peaceful. :allears:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Not quite as good as Deep Rock Galactic, but MHW is an extremely chill and friendly game for playing with randoms. I have good memories of befriending a French dude who couldn't figure out how to get an egg. It basically turned into an escort mission with us communicating in broken english/french as best we could.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There aren't that many games that are good playing with randoms but Deep Rock Galactic, Monster Hunter and Warframe definitely are.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Helping randoms through all of Stormveil in Elden Ring had the same vibe for the first couple months after release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are there any games that are specifically about immoral destroying of ecosystem(s) for the purposes of heavy industrialization?

There's a bunch of games like No Man's Sky, which is close but those game usually have absolutely zero feedback when it comes to your destruction of nature. No crying baby seals dying from pollution.

Factorio is the only game I can think of, as it specifically deals with you filling wildlands with pollution and destroying the ecosystem.