Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I don't want to alarm anyone, but someone had a good feeling about something.

I liked it. Last episode was better/bigger but this was good. Strong Samurai/Wuxia vibes. Shin needs to figure her poo poo out, but like Baylan said, she's ambitious. There's a fall coming, the question is if she survives it.

A Claudia Black moment, once I knew she was there, it was very obviously her even through the voice modulation. Farscape alumni in all the sci fi things forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Baronjutter posted:

Last episode had me sold on the series, this episode undid all the good will.

This team simply can't do action, at all. They keep falling back to "nimble fighters chase the transport for hours, fruitlessly shooting at it while the transport barely evades" and its painful to watch. Zero excitement or tension. The personal combat somehow manages to capture the same essence, where nothing seems to matter and fights end totally arbitrarily because the writers want them to end a certain way.

Show is relying too much on long drawn out boring fights. Episode 6 seems to have been a fluke.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I liked Ezra more in that episode than I did in the entirety of Rebels.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I liked Ezra more in that episode than I did in the entirety of Rebels.

The actor is completely nailing the character's mannerisms while not being a smarmy child protagonist. It's great.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Baronjutter posted:

This team simply can't do action, at all. They keep falling back to "nimble fighters chase the transport for hours, fruitlessly shooting at it while the transport barely evades" and its painful to watch. Zero excitement or tension. The personal combat somehow manages to capture the same essence, where nothing seems to matter and fights end totally arbitrarily because the writers want them to end a certain way.

Forever more I’m going to compare Andor to anything Star Wars; look at the writing credits from the Andor writers compared to Dave Filoni’s credits

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

1st AD posted:

Forever more I’m going to compare Andor to anything Star Wars; look at the writing credits from the Andor writers compared to Dave Filoni’s credits

Then Star Wars is probably gonna be disappointing to you forever more, lol.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Darko posted:

Thrawn sure is Thrawning a lot.
A whole lot of Thrawning definitely on the menu tonight!

HootTheOwl posted:

This court martial scene is so god drat stupid. Why!? Who cares? You're not even her boss!
It was a good excuse for Chopper's "what'd you say bitch?"

NmareBfly posted:

Lol at the stormtroopers being.. yep, just stormtroopers. Admittedly up against 2.5 Jedi but like, c'mon.
They did get some help from some cookware-armed Noti as well!

Vinylshadow posted:

Got a chuckle out of Sabine using the Blaster stance from Jedi Survivor, and Ezra tossing people around like Cal does once you bother to invest in telekinesis
Definitely also got some Jedi Survivor combat vibes from a lot of what was going on.

Marsupial Ape posted:

The fact that Ezra was basically begging these idiots to not make him and Sabine kill them right up to the last makes him the model of how a Jedi should handle themselves.
I'm liking Ezra now that I got to see a full episode of his shenanigans.

Ahsoka is continuing to thrive in her groove too, just the right amount of both Snips and Ahsoka the White.

I thought the imperial mine field was a fun enough idea, but again was over explained by Huyang narration of the action, similarly to the memory bomb defusal.

Love seeing these guys getting used this series:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Then Star Wars is probably gonna be disappointing to you forever more, lol.

Alas, that we even got Andor justifies all the crap that Disney has produced.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just don't get why we can't have the same plot and story beats but with good action and writing. Andor proved they have the talent base for it in disney, they have access.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Baronjutter posted:

Rick Famuyiwa is next week, he does action like a motherfucker.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He looks so scary

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Deus ex machina c3po delivering a USB stick was dumb as hell. They really need to get away from this cameo fan service bullshit with the original cast.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jehde posted:

I thought the imperial mine field was a fun enough idea, but again was over explained by Huyang narration of the action, similarly to the memory bomb defusal.

I couldn't tell you how many hours I spent clearing those in the X-Wing series. I watched that scene with an X-Wing's system displays overlaid on the minefield. My first reaction was "clear the mines!" Some things just go bone-deep.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

So much of this poo poo is just so unnecessary. The Hera thing, everything inside the whale rings so they do that fan service line, the whatever the gently caress guys chasing the turtles. What has Thrawn been losing troops to? The red robot guys who will apparently be your friend for no reason, the turtles? Guess we'll never get a resolution to the Rome guy unless they recast him.

This poo poo is just glacial. I never wanna hear "they should make X idea a miniseries" ever again because they clearly can't pace these things for poo poo.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I think the scram fighters highlights that nobody learned anything from Attack of the Clones and how loving stupid the scene of Jango clowning on Obi-Wan's Starfighter was. Say what you will about RLM but they raised a great point that there is no tension when the antagonist keeps pummelling the protagonist and there is no damage or even any real panic. Plot Armour only gets you so far, and at a certain point you're going to lose your audience because they know that nothing will threaten the main characters.

Then again, that is something Star Wars has never been consistent with, unless it's a TIE.

Nice to see Ahsoka has life and a personality again, nice to see some more Hayden, cool seeing Ezra invoking Yoda's "my ally is the Force, and a powerful one it is". I can't be the only one who thought he was going to chirp Sabine about the boomerang seeing as it was his weapon of choice before he built a lightsaber. The hearing was loving stupid, seeing as it looks like the Fleet Captain that was briefed on everything that happened wasn't present to give testimony, or that C-3P0 was brought in to, effectively, remind us that Carrie Fisher's dead. That may be more that 3P0 has never been my favourite, so whenever he shows up I just roll my eyes and wait for him to leave. It's possible to do political intrigue, but everything involving the senators has been some of the most amateur poo poo ever. Star Wars isn't subtle when it comes to its politics, but there's a difference between a scene having a "hint-hint" bend to it and a scene where it feels like the writer is banging you over the head shouting "DO YOU GET IT?!"

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I think you mean slingshot, not boomerang.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I just don't get why we can't have the same plot and story beats but with good action and writing. Andor proved they have the talent base for it in disney, they have access.

The people who worked on Andor had great careers before they ever did Star Wars. Tony Gilroy is probably most famous for his scripts in the Bourne franchise, Dan Gilroy wrote Nightcrawler, and Beau Willimon is the creator/showrunner for House of Cards.

Dave Filoni wrote every episode of Ahsoka, and maybe there’s some uncredited screenwriters who took some passes on these scripts, but this is all his work and he’s basically done Star Wars animation his entire career.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
That episode was weird. On the one hand, there was a whole lot of decent action, but on the other it was completely undermined by the main characters' plot armor. And it felt like ten minutes of moving the plot forward stretched out into thirty.

The contact lenses bug me too - Ezra is the only one where they're not distracting. Ahsoka's feel to bright, making her face look too alien to get the emotions across. Even when Rosario Dawson is emoting her rear end off, the character feels icy somehow. I just compared a few images of live action vs. animation, and while the blue is roughly the same color, animated Ahsoka has pupils that are huge, and that naturally makes her eyes seem darker and more expressive. Thrawn's are also just a tad too glowy and tend to take focus away from his facial acting.

Baylan's "my path is a different one" felt very Obi-Wan on the Death Star to me, but as others have pointed out, I still don't know what his goal is.

Actually, that's a problem in general I have with the show. I don't mind a good mystery, but there are too many of them here, and it's not communicated well if we are supposed to think they're mysteries or if something is just badly written.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

When I think of great writing I think of the Jason Bourne series.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ruddiger posted:

When I think of great writing I think of the Jason Bourne series.
The Bourne series was tight as hell

Well up until that last one, but even then I get what it's going for

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
ah, lady tano... i predicted from your togrutan physiognomy that you would ride in on a big dog and beat my guys. all according to plan :chord:

HootTheOwl posted:

This court martial scene is so god drat stupid. Why!? Who cares? You're not even her boss!

hera's whole series plotline was contrived just to get a c-3p0 cameo lol

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

exmarx posted:

hera's whole series plotline was contrived just to get a c-3p0 cameo lol

A literal deus ex machina. I suppose it's a reasonably clever workaround for having Leia be active in that timeline without having to resort to more Carrie Fisher ghoulism.

Also, where is Zeb, dammit? You have the model, surely you can do better than just mentioning he's training recruits.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Was it just me or did the C3PO costume look a little crappy, especially the obvious leotard around the midriff.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Was it just me or did the C3PO costume look a little crappy, especially the obvious leotard around the midriff.

I just had a random look into a few of the original movies, and it does seem like he has a few less wires, making the dark leotard more visible. He also appears to be a bit more "bendy" and less stiff and droid-like in his movements, so I wonder if Daniels just provided the voice rather than force himself into the costume once more.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dave Syndrome posted:

I just had a random look into a few of the original movies, and it does seem like he has a few less wires, making the dark leotard more visible. He also appears to be a bit more "bendy" and less stiff and droid-like in his movements, so I wonder if Daniels just provided the voice rather than force himself into the costume once more.

Tbh I think it may be more that Daniels is 77.

I dunno if I'd want to squeeze into a leotard and that costume when I'm pushing 80.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Darko posted:

Thrawn being visibly disturbed when hearing that Ahsoka was Anakin/Vaders apprentice and adjusting tactics to just keep her the hell away from him (and also being worried she might be coming with someone else like maybe him) was also funny.

Yeah, it's a good show not tell indicating he's the smartest person in the room that he gets a whiff of even adjacent-to-Skywalker bullshit and immediately understands the best strategy is to put as much distance between him and that as possible, preferably an entire other galaxy :allears:

Edit: as a critique, if Leia heads up the Defense Council of the New Republic, why wasn't she (and that council) the ones who made the decision on whether pursuing the stolen SSD hyperspace engine (Again, that's a hyperspace engine for A SUPER STAR DESTROYER :supaburn:) was worth New Republic Resources?

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 27, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dude's literally packing his things and leaving

It owns

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Well I don't know this Ezra dude from Adam but based on this ep, he seems like a good dude and I like the cut of his jib. Kinda wish Shin had taken them up on their offer, hopefully she won't get blown up or something in the finale.

Huwyang continues to be my fav member of Team Ahsoka.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I liked it. I got spaceships, lasers, stormtroopers, lots of weird little guys, and a bunch of decently executed fight scenes featuring characters I care about. It was a Star War.

The Ezra actor is loving crushing it, just spot on adult version of the cartoon teenager.

The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the Coruscant scene, but mostly because the alien heads look trash in HD with bright lighting. I know everyone was a bit "not many aliens in Andor" but unless they are really well shot the humanoid aliens just never look good in the TV shows.

Only thing I think would have been nice to have would be the Stormtroopers evacuating their wounded with them. That's not something we usually see them do, and would really drive home that they are a tight-knit group of determined survivors, not just expendable cannon fodder. Unless they are witch-raised force zombies of course. But just carrying back a few in a fighting retreat to the gunships would have sold it. I guess the fact that they were ordered to fall back and not waste all their lives kinda does the same, but that's more a Thrawn thing, the medevac would be a band of fash brothers trooper thing.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Parkingtigers posted:

Unless they are witch-raised force zombies of course.

Feels like the episode kiboshes the whole 'zombie trooper' thing since we see them die and they don't evaporate or fall apart - I thought one did, but it was just dirt from the explosion landing on the armor

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Parkingtigers posted:

Only thing I think would have been nice to have would be the Stormtroopers evacuating their wounded with them. That's not something we usually see them do, and would really drive home that they are a tight-knit group of determined survivors, not just expendable cannon fodder. Unless they are witch-raised force zombies of course. But just carrying back a few in a fighting retreat to the gunships would have sold it. I guess the fact that they were ordered to fall back and not waste all their lives kinda does the same, but that's more a Thrawn thing, the medevac would be a band of fash brothers trooper thing.

Yeah, given how long they've survived together in isolation, the fact they're so close to escaping, and they've just seen guys who managed to survive alongside them all these years die, I was kind of hoping to see a little more from them, whether in terms of combat effectiveness (harder when you're fighting Jedi obviously) or a closer bond. I'd also strongly expect to see Thrawn making a point of showcasing concern or at least empathy for them to help further build the cult of their devotion to him.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

banned from Starbucks posted:

So much of this poo poo is just so unnecessary. The Hera thing, everything inside the whale rings so they do that fan service line, the whatever the gently caress guys chasing the turtles. What has Thrawn been losing troops to? The red robot guys who will apparently be your friend for no reason, the turtles? Guess we'll never get a resolution to the Rome guy unless they recast him.

This poo poo is just glacial. I never wanna hear "they should make X idea a miniseries" ever again because they clearly can't pace these things for poo poo.

i mean we've established stormtroopers don't do well against rocks

or much of anything really

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Necrothatcher posted:

Didn't help they had some low camera angles used when him and Hera are looking up at the raised seats, and we've never really seen C3PO looking up before.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the Coruscant scene, but mostly because the alien heads look trash in HD with bright lighting. I know everyone was a bit "not many aliens in Andor" but unless they are really well shot the humanoid aliens just never look good in the TV shows.

That lighting may also have been the reason Threepio looked a little off.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Haven’t seen the latest episode, but I know I want the last episode to just be a long parlor scene with the jedi droid playing the Hercule Poirot part.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Dave Syndrome posted:

Baylan's "my path is a different one" felt very Obi-Wan on the Death Star to me, but as others have pointed out, I still don't know what his goal is.

Actually, that's a problem in general I have with the show. I don't mind a good mystery, but there are too many of them here, and it's not communicated well if we are supposed to think they're mysteries or if something is just badly written.

Baylan's probably trying to destroy the force. He pretty much stated it outright last episode with his lesson to Shin about the destructive cycle of the galaxy that was very similar to one from KotoR 2 where that was the antagonist's motivation.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Thrawn: "We did not in fact self own. It is Ahsoka who is owned"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Show is good but it feels like basically 70% combat interspersed with little splurts of plot. Which is fine, I guess it's advancing the plot but I'm basically just checking my email or refreshing the news for two minutes at a time repeatedly while we get firefights.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Baylan's probably trying to destroy the force. He pretty much stated it outright last episode with his lesson to Shin about the destructive cycle of the galaxy that was very similar to one from KotoR 2 where that was the antagonist's motivation.

Everyone else seems to think that too, but I wonder if it was really stated outright, or whether we all think it because we all played KotoR 2 and loved us some Kreia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I think my biggest issue with this past episode is that after not being dumb last episode, Thrawn just decided to be a *little* dumb *this* episode.

There was absolutely no reason to send/squander his limited Stormtroopers like that when he already had air support aloft. Those troopers could've expedited the loading of whatever the gently caress it is they're loading so they could gently caress off and leave Ashoka holding her lekku. Bonus points if they'd been able to shoot down or at least cripple her ship.

"Didn't need/want those troopers anyway" is just lazy loving writing, same as "we tracked these fuckers here, but now I'm not gonna do anything to help you because CRYPTIC REASONS."