Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Neo Rasa posted:

The best indication of this is the costuming choice towards the end when she's wearing that huge scarf thing that evokes being strangled by Darth Vader. She's totally down with the tuskens being massacred because, hey, Anakin's a good guy and I love him so, obviously the leopard won't eat MY face. Notice how in Revenge of the Sith she completely does not at all believe that he killed the kid students in the Jedi temple even though he literally told her he got overly angry and enjoyed killing children a couple of years earlier, but those children were The Enemy so it was okay.
Padme is racist and doesn't think of the Tuskens as people. This appears to be common in star wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I liked TLJ the most of the sequels, but I tried watching it a few months ago and cut it off 1/4 of the way through. Something about the snarkiness of it just turned me off and I just didn't bother and went back to the animated shows or something.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I’m still not a fan of the love story, I just don’t buy it. Anakin comes across as a weird creep and Padme even calls him on it and tells him to back off or gives him “uh youre creepy” looks more than once. He’s like what? 19? And she’s in her late 20s at least? That makes a kind of weird power dynamic.
On top of that, he confesses to her that he butchered a bunch of women and children, and she doesn’t just have no reaction to those obvious red flags from an emotionally compromised superpowered teenager, but once they get to Geonosis she says “I truly, deeply love you” in the most melodramatic way possible. Anakin being love-struck and persistent I can buy, he’s an emotionally stunted teenager. Padme’s 180-degree turn in the span of like 2 days? Not buying it.

She was queen at like 12 and then a senator. The only social interaction she has is with old rear end politicians. Of course shes gonna fall for the first hot piece of rear end that shows her any attention.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Darko posted:

I liked TLJ the most of the sequels, but I tried watching it a few months ago and cut it off 1/4 of the way through. Something about the snarkiness of it just turned me off and I just didn't bother and went back to the animated shows or something.

Yeah Star Wars is dorky as hell but can be endearing as it embraces it. The sequels, and TLJ in particular, seem like they're trying to act too cool but they are also dorky as hell, which makes them less endearing. I think the worst dialogue in all the sequels is the Yo Mama joke in the beginning of TLJ. "Somehow Palpatine has returned" has grown on me, though admittedly I only saw the movie once and the rest of it is just meme osmosis.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why does they line get to people ? Don’t you think it’s something Poe would say ? It’s perfectly in line with his character

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
"I'll try spinning, that's a good trick!" is something Anakin would say, and perfectly in line with his character.

Why did this infuriate so many people?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bogus Adventure posted:

"I'll try spinning, that's a good trick!" is something Anakin would say, and perfectly in line with his character.

Because they are fools. Does that also explain the other case?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

euphronius posted:

Why does they line get to people ? Don’t you think it’s something Poe would say ? It’s perfectly in line with his character

I guess but the problem there for me is that I've never cared at all for Poe. He woulda been cute with Finn but of course we couldn't have that, so I'm left with nothing going for him. His quippy no stakes attitude leaves me cold.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I, on the other hand, love Poe and want to see him succeed and do cool things. :colbert:

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
You're probably wondering about my red arm.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They realised pretty early on that having an incredibly good cast of charismatic sexy people was basically carrying the sequels.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

FunkyAl posted:

You're probably wondering about my red arm.

someone on twitter said this was an MGSVTPP reference because JJ and Hideo are friends and was never intended to have a real explanation and honestly I like it now

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

if i was padme I would fall for the first Calamari that could dunk a trap

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Wolfsheim posted:

someone on twitter said this was an MGSVTPP reference because JJ and Hideo are friends and was never intended to have a real explanation and honestly I like it now

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It must be Tuesday night because Twitter is flooded with the most dogshit gifs from a new Ahsoka.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Ahsoka deez nuts!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Assepoester posted:

Padme is racist and doesn't think of the Tuskens as people. This appears to be common in star wars.

Reminder that Anakin 1) is consistently the only person who doesn't treat droids like utter dogshit throughout the prequels, and 2) has probably met Tusken before because he grew up near where they live and is probably more aware that they are actually people than anybody else in the main cast.

He is in real pain over slaughtering those people because he isn't generally racist (1) and has some familiarity with his victims (2). Padme just doesn't give a poo poo, she treats his emotional outburst with a little more empathy than the Jedi would but otherwise she is just the same as them.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Padme trying to calm Anakin down by talking about that time she ran over a Gungan kid and it was NBD

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

Reminder that Anakin 1) is consistently the only person who doesn't treat droids like utter dogshit throughout the prequels, and 2) has probably met Tusken before because he grew up near where they live and is probably more aware that they are actually people than anybody else in the main cast.

He is in real pain over slaughtering those people because he isn't generally racist (1) and has some familiarity with his victims (2). Padme just doesn't give a poo poo, she treats his emotional outburst with a little more empathy than the Jedi would but otherwise she is just the same as them.

There's a possibly cut bit from TPM in the novelization I mentioned where child slave Anakin encounters a wounded Tusken while on the way back from an errand and helps him, and then the rest show up and help Anakin get home. Took me a while to realise what new significance that takes on after AotC.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

There's that moment where Padme and Anakin get sent off together and Obi-wan says "aw geez, my apprentice is a total dipshit who's going to impossibly gently caress this up" and Captain Typho replies "lol mate u ain't seen nothing yet". AOTC kinda suckers you into thinking Padme has any good sense at all.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

If Poe had said this line with the exact same cadence when Palpatine returned I would have forgiven the rest of Ep IX:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Grendels Dad posted:

Anakin treats tuskens and droids the same as he treats people, and he would absolutely slaughter hundreds of people if he thought they had anything at all to do with hurting his mom.

Padme does not, and treats his confession as seriously as, say, if someone were confessing to killing hundreds of ants.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

If Poe had said this line with the exact same cadence when Palpatine returned I would have forgiven the rest of Ep IX:

Metal Gear is pretty much Star Wars in contemporary mil sci fi. Seriously, the titular Metal Gears are pretty much Death Stars.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah

In retrospect, it's really a compelling contrast. And the more I think about it, the more I like how Hayden sells his vent/confession to Padme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yx7KJnU3Iw

This is someone who is still emotionally a child, and thinks like a child despite being a Jedi. It makes sense that he would have childish desires, like being able to keep people from dying. The delivery is odd because here is someone who has trained for years to suppress his emotions, and now they're boiling over because he was this close to saving his mother after the Jedi kept him from trying. He snapped and flew off into a killing spree when she died moments after he saw her again because the Jedi Order of Yoda and Obi-Wan have the same depth of dealing with personal tragedy as Kunu from Forgetting Sarah Marshall ("When life gives you lemons, say 'gently caress lemons,' and bail.).

Padme is in shock because regardless of any romantic feelings towards Anakin, that kid is responsible for saving her life (foiling the assassination attempt-Anakin sensed it first and Obi-Wan moved like molasses) and her entire planet (if Anakin doesn't blow up the Trade Federation's command ship, her rebellion would have been squashed). What are the deaths of a handful of Tusken Raiders compared to someone like that? And what do you say to make someone who just did that? Especially when that someone is a highly-trained magical space ninja with a laser sword.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

lol

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

euphronius posted:

Well, I never really warmed to Poe in the first place. I'd say that is true for many of the sequel characters, though I think Finn was handled well until they sidelined him. Honorable mentions to Babu Frik and Kylo Ren, and Maz Kanata is worse than Jar Jar. But anyway:

1. It's not funny? A sarcastic joke that doesn't land is worse than something played earnestly. This is trying too hard.

2. I prefer my villains to be somewhat threatening. This is just clowning on Hux to the 1000th degree. I don't think making him a completely worthless cowardly doofus was the right move. I don't think it makes the heroes super cool or awesome to have the villains just be giant dorks that somehow don't get it. This is supposed to be a ruthless fascist organization full of backstabbers yet somehow an utterly incompetent moron is just sitting at the top of it. Don't get me wrong, fascists suck - but the ones who rise to the top are at least ruthless or charismatic enough to keep the other ones in line. Hux seems like a joke to even his own side. The joke doesn't really work when they beat it like a dead horse.

3. Imperials in the old movies did not tolerate snarky bullshit. Vader would choke a bitch for that. Regular officers would at least sneer and open fire. They are just sitting here and chatting on the phone to the guy who everyone knows blew up their entire superweapon ... yesterday? "Why don't they just shoot him?" doesn't apply in the original trilogy because ultimately Vader and the Emperor both want Luke onboard. They keep Han alive because presumably Jabba has some fixation on him and is willing to pay and I always imagine behind the scenes that the Empire tolerates Jabba because he is useful to them, even though he's a criminal. Poe is a known rebel, and considered the most dangerous one that isn't a Skywalker, yet they just sit there and let him dis them.

4. There is a similar phone-joke in Star Wars, but this reads as Han Solo being improvisational "Uh yeah, everything is fine down here" to stall for time and the Empire doesn't buy it and sends reinforcements. This is a planned moment with thousands of guys just watching their leader get into a dumb pointless conversation with an enemy ship that they should be blasting away at it.

Maybe it is in line with his character? Maybe I don't like the character in the first place. I'm not really into Marvel quippiness. I don't think it really works for Star Wars to have their characters basically rolling their eyes at the setting. Harrison Ford pulled it off but it doesn't work for me here.

I don't hate TLJ with a passion or anything, for me it was just a solid meh, but the early Poe line in the crowded theater was basically met by silence. A bad joke is a bad joke? C3P0 makes bad jokes all the time but they are charmingly bad like dad jokes.

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 27, 2023

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Anakin should have peppered his massacres of the sand people with quips

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Bogus Adventure posted:

Because it IS infuriating to watch a little kid placed in such a position of power, from which he can kill people en masse with weapons of war. Qui-Gon wasn't wrong in that he was the chosen one, ready to spearhead a holy war for the Jedi even as a child.

Pretty sure a a kid irl, if placed into a war, would at some point refer to enemy combatants as "the bad guys".

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
I don't like sand people. They're coarse and rough and irritating and they get everywhere.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

C-3PO is constantly nervous and terrified and for good reason considering the movies he's in. He's pretty much an anxiety dump for the characters and audience, from when he's first assembled as a ghetto servant for Anakin's slave mother to a member of the Rebels. He's the heart of the series, sentimental and unselfish, a great robot and great person.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

YaketySass posted:

Anakin should have peppered his massacres of the sand people with quips

"Guess these guys won't be back in greater numbers!" *stabs a child*

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
Speaking of clone wars: A long time ago in a Star Wars thread, there was discussion on how Rey is the equivalent of a Star Wars fans reimmersing themselves into the Star Wars franchise, the process being shown through her diegetic immersion into the history and present of the actual Star War.
It's not an accurate take, but this kind of thing HAS already happened in Star Wars! In A New Hope, we hear of the Clone Wars from Obi-Wan, and like Luke, we most likely imagine glorious and righteous war full of fun peril. Then, in a reimmersion to Star Wars with Phantom Menace and Clone Wars, we learn that war does NOT, in fact, make one great.

It doesn't quite come full circle, since Luke in the sequel trilogy never actually researched the history of the Jedi to learn why they went down, but oh well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

As said, the old EU suggests Luke's ignorance of Jedi history is probably for the best.

Ed: Seriously though, they had the right idea that the New Jedi Order being a mix of people from all walks of life, ex secret Sith apprentices, hidden legacy Jedi, mystic hermits and random protagonist types is probably both a way better idea and story idea than cargo culting the failures of the old order. Heck, it'd be a way better sequel cast.

For some reason, One Piece comes to mind. One of the best things about that is the various crews and groups are always colourful and diverse, people of different ages, origins, skills and motivations. With singular lines and random gimmicks the world gets bigger and characters get more faceted, even and especially the dude who dresses like an adult baby for genuine non fetish reasons and in fact tells all the women who want to gently caress him to gently caress off.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 27, 2023

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

C-3PO is constantly nervous and terrified and for good reason considering the movies he's in. He's pretty much an anxiety dump for the characters and audience, from when he's first assembled as a ghetto servant for Anakin's slave mother to a member of the Rebels. He's the heart of the series, sentimental and unselfish, a great robot and great person.

Remember when they tried to cash in on this characters good will by erasing his memory for pathos, saying how permanent it will be and then they just…reversed it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

josh04 posted:

"Guess these guys won't be back in greater numbers!" *stabs a child*

This got a legit lol from me

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Remember when they tried to cash in on this characters good will by erasing his memory for pathos, saying how permanent it will be and then they just…reversed it.

Radical theory: we should read the end of rise of Skywalker in the same way that we read the end of taxi driver

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I read the end of TROS the same way as I read Into the Mouth of Madness. I have the same reaction as Sam Neill's character, too.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Leia Amidala-Skywalker-Solo-Organa

All hail Princess Lasso - is that why she's so handy with a chain?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Randomly thinking about that time in star wars when the planet gun shot a laser that turned into 5 other lasers that hit all the planets in a solar system at the same time within minutes of firing from a different solar system. Just thinking about how stupid fast the laser would have to be going to get to another solar system that quickly and how it could possibly hit different planets at the same time in a solar system.

Did ya'll know space was really big?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Shard posted:

Randomly thinking about that time in star wars when the planet gun shot a laser that turned into 5 other lasers that hit all the planets in a solar system at the same time within minutes of firing from a different solar system. Just thinking about how stupid fast the laser would have to be going to get to another solar system that quickly and how it could possibly hit different planets at the same time in a solar system.

Did ya'll know space was really big?

You know cool things make "pew pew" noises in space?