Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"I hate to break it to you, Larry, but if Mr. Burns ever wants to see a stranger he will observe him through a powerful telescope" <- maybe my favorite Smithers line ever

"Can't they get a pole for that sign?" :lmao:

Tons of great writing even without the Dangerfield parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I hate Pai Gow!

Can't we just play Quang Jong?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I use “one time I saw a blimp!” every now and then.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Yale could use an international airport

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think that comes down to it, it's blatantly a gimmick episode, but it's a good gimmick. I think if anything Dangerfield's brand of humour feels like an inspiration for the Simpsons as a whole. They knew exactly what to do with him and he was happy to oblige.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The simulation of the police offing Homer with a barrage of baseballs is never not relevant:

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1700584748366561597

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Larry Burns is designed really well. Instead of an outright caricature, he actually looks like half Mr Burns, half Rodney Dangerfield.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Annabel Pee posted:

Another bizarre change around s25/26. Using real life footage from movies. Feels like a South Park/Family Guy thing and doesn’t fit at all. It’s just laziness, they are just making a reference with no added joke at all.

When South Park and it’s always weird self made poo poo. Like fake commercials. Not footage from other media.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think that comes down to it, it's blatantly a gimmick episode, but it's a good gimmick.

I think that’s the gist of it. Simpsons in its prime also could do good gimmicks (basically ever good Treehouse of Horror would count).

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
There's nothing wrong with gimmicks, a gimmick is just something to draw you in. Once you're in, there needs to be something to keep you there. And that episode has some excellent writing, and rodney Dangerfield's delivery is impeccable as always.

I think a big part of why that episode works is that Larry is just a wisecracking homer. He's dumb but he's smart enough to know it.

Dangerfield's style of comedy is actually really clever when you get past the shock value of it (he was pretty blue back in the day, look up his stuff on Carson). You can tell the Simpsons writers at the time learned a lot from him and really respected him.

That episode is a 9.5/10 in my book. It's truly a classic. The only thing I don't care for is how they ended it. It's not a bad ending it just could have been more meaningful than "episodes over, let's party"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I caught an episode of the new Futurama, and it was really boring. The whole plot is just the characters sitting around the meeting table talking about the Professor's newest invention. No action or satire, just the writers being insufferable dweebs. Do you think we could tell if our lives were being written by insufferable dweebs?

Billy West is sounding old. There's not much distance between Fry and Farnsworth.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Same, I skipped the season because I knew better but tried to watch the final episode because of the rave reviews of "it was like an ok old episode", and no it wasn't at all.

Even setting aside the flat comedy and tracked on drama, the writers missed the entire point of the scifi premise. The "Space Italy" runner about Farnsworth saying it was hard for him to come up with good names was garbo and shows they didn't get the core idea at all. What could have been an interesting mesh of philosophy and science was instead turned into people watching a game of the sims 3000

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Futurama was always best when it was doing dumb vauderville bits with a coat of sci-fi paint, the epic science stuff always worked best when it was a background joke rather than the central premise which seems to have been an issue since the first revival

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Can't say I agree with that. Most of my favorites from the OG run have a heavy dose of sci-fi as the main point, like Time Keeps On Slippin' or The Late Phillip J Fry.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Either extreme is great, but they each require passion to pull off well

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

belated happy birthday to Julie Kavner, who is now 73
https://twitter.com/golden_waffles_/status/1708996835086303548?s=61&t=0u0iPLgsrw9rb7UXErdBQA

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

gently caress

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

PostNouveau posted:

gently caress

and the voice acting sounds rough as well :v:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

I caught an episode of the new Futurama, and it was really boring. The whole plot is just the characters sitting around the meeting table talking about the Professor's newest invention. No action or satire, just the writers being insufferable dweebs. Do you think we could tell if our lives were being written by insufferable dweebs?

Billy West is sounding old. There's not much distance between Fry and Farnsworth.

Part of what made classic Futurama great is that they made their huge futuristic scifi universe feel real, but Hulurama mostly just feels like the Planet Express crew sitting in a room. It's a lot better than current Simpsons, though.

Can we add this to the poll?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
That is quite literally the type of dialogue that the good seasons of the show would have had coming from some TV show within the show that was meant to be a satire of dumb, trashy TV.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

The Moon Monster posted:

Hulurama mostly just feels like the Planet Express crew sitting in a room

This only really applies to the last episode, which was also the best one.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

This only really applies to the last episode, which was also the best one.

The last episode was literally that but all of the episodes felt like that to me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Alright, season premiere

Starts with an extended Heavy Metal homage that turns out to be Otto high and running off with the bus. (Otto sounds terrrrrrrible)

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1708633614928302555

Homer winds up a crossing guard to handle the extra foot traffic from not having a bus.

There's an emergency at the nuclear plant, and everyone jumps in to save the day (including Mr. Burns). Homer notices nothing about nuclear safety involves him or his workstation and it's revealed he's had a fake workstation the whole time.

Later, he can't get it up to gently caress Marge. There is no additional context for the Star Wars metaphors in the earlier clip. She just describes his impotence in Star Wars terms for some reason.

The next morning, the kids steal his crossing guard stop sign and bully him. For some reason the 3 kids doing this are Martin, Milhouse and Nelson, which makes me wonder if the writers even know who the characters are anymore. While he's distracted, Ralph crosses the street alone and almost gets hit by a drunk driving Barney. Homer saves him at the last minute and is made a hero by the media. The city gives crossing guards a budget and make it a full-time job, with Homer as the captain.

Homer gets power hungry, but is brought low when the simultaneous bake sale/science fair/picture day causes a morning drop off traffic jam that turns into a riot.

Homer blames the riot on the budget being too low, so the mayor gives the crossing guards a blank check. Homer gets corrupt. He and Marge are wearing wraparound sunglasses for the rest of the episode.

The now-militarized crossing guard force pisses everyone off, setting up a confrontation between the crossing guards and the cops. Also ICE, the TSA, the meters maids, and neighborhood watch guys show up for the rumble. Otto runs Homer over with the bus, putting him in the hospital and defusing the situation.

Lisa tells Homer he had a hammer and everything looked like nails, leading to the show going out on this weird image

https://twitter.com/CesarWeGetIt/status/1708639723202486463

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I got through half of the premier and tapped out halfway at how sad all the voices sounded as the actors struggled to sound like themselves across the board. I think Harry Shearer is especially struggling as pretty much all of his voices sound frail.

I admit it was pretty bold to start the season off with an explicit acid trip.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

:kstare:

Bless you for watching.

I know Al Jean is a thread favorite punching bag but Selman needs far more criticism for his active role in making this trash.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

the difference between al jean and selman is selman was never involved with good simpsons

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

PostNouveau posted:

Homer notices nothing about nuclear safety involves him or his workstation and it's revealed he's had a fake workstation the whole time.

not watching the episode but this sounds funny

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Good writeup. I can see the lifeless, sterile animation.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zetamind2000 posted:

not watching the episode but this sounds funny

It was alright. Burns comes in and takes control of the situation, and he and Lenny and another worker have a dramatic scene, and Homer is standing behind them looking between Lenny's workstation and his own and realizing a lot of his doesn't add up.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Was there a point re: Homer's non-existent boner

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Is Mr Burns supposed to be a friendly old man now?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Cocaine Bear posted:

Good writeup. I can see the lifeless, sterile animation.

Honestly the best write up available online. Wikipedia doesn’t have a full article just a paragraph, WikiSimpsons summary reads like a bad AI wrote it, AV club doesn’t review them anymore… this is it the best coverage of modern Simpsons is a thread that despises it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pentaro posted:

Was there a point re: Homer's non-existent boner

He was emasculated and listless because he wasn't keeping anyone safe like he thought.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Would be fascinating to watch a documentary of how a modern episode is made, with notes on how much each person involved was paid for their effort. Voice actors on speaker phone limping through a one take performance, writing staff calling it good at 2pm, Groening getting two million to chuckle at one jokes before leaving.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The Simpsons came on after whatever my father in law was watching, so it was on in the background while we were getting dinner ready. My 6yo has never seen the show.

At some scene on the latest episode, Homer and Marge are sitting in an audience somewhere, maybe at a school meeting. My daughter looks at them asks "what are THOSE things." Didn't even recognize them as people.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

brugroffil posted:

My daughter looks at them asks "what are THOSE things." Didn't even recognize them as people.

Racist. :colbert:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Oh don't worry abbot that show, it's just the tv remake of the emoji movie

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I do have an incredibly early memory (3 or 4 years old?) of feeling an incredible irritation at the thought of Marge Simpson. I threw an etch a sketch at my brother.

I think maybe I was barred from watching the show? Maybe it was her bizarre bizarre hair

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I do have an incredibly early memory (3 or 4 years old?) of feeling an incredible irritation at the thought of Marge Simpson. I threw an etch a sketch at my brother.

I think maybe I was barred from watching the show? Maybe it was her bizarre bizarre hair

It's worn only for shock value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I've been home sick, so naturally I ended up watching some season 32 episodes.

Homer gets fired and joins a self driving car company. Then Marge joins and they are in charge of morale or something.

At one point Marge has to read a list of 3 things and she's almost completely out of breath by the second item and it's not a bit, it's just Julie Kavner dying in real time.

The opening scene had everyone's favourite new character: Chalmer's daughter and the joke was that the chicken nuggets had " " around the word chicken.

The nerds from when Homer goes to college was there and they seem so out of place and rooted in another time, just like all the characters do in the new seasons.
Seeing Homer drive his boxy 70s car and using a smart phone is just weird.

Anyway, I don't remember anything being funny or clever but I guess the plot was mildly interesting to my fever ridden brain.

They've made at least 3 seasons after this one.