Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Anyone seeing a shrink is technically a job creator and should really be eligible for tax deductions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

SerthVarnee posted:

Ask Outrail for advice. That is a poster who specializes in sacrificing health for a goal.

Pro tip.

Read my posts and do the opposite of whatever I seem to be doing.

E: oh yeah, I forgot to post for a while. I've been processing this over the last month:

My board finally figured out I've been one bad day from burning everything to the ground, that I needed help a break, and decided something had to be done.

Instead of committing to do the things that they said they would do, at the end of August I got dragged outside by two members and was told I was going on a two month hiatus, effective immediately. No time to debrief staff. No time to write up handover notes. No time to email the dozen or more program partners, potential funders etc. No time to explain how the budgets work. Just give them my email password and 'we'll manage'.

'The board will pitch in and the staff will handle it. We will meet with them.' Half of the staff were on vacation and we were about to hit the most important part of the year for grants and high profile project delivery(that is already a year behind schedule), with our project tech having been on the job less than a month. There was no plan as far as I can tell, just everyone just does everything and it'll magically work out.

I'd just booked a month and a half holiday in December to family my I haven't seen in 5 years. So I'm going to have a month to fix everything in November and then be off again.

Apparently I'm supposed to relax and not think about work for two months.

I'm getting paid and they say they want me back, and can't quit if I want unemployment. Honestly I feel sick every time I think about the amount of work piling up, the funding opportunities we've lost, the confidence of funder and partners who in some cases I've apparently ghosted, lost time on time sensitive projects that are seasonally dependant.

It's a dumb poo poo power move that probably worked great in 1987 but is dumb as gently caress in today's fast passed connected world.

So yeah, do the opposite of what I do and you'll be fine.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 26, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

blatman posted:

just spend a few months "implementing" then take credit

edit: split credit with your intern

This will be a valuable learning experience for the intern.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Pyrtanis posted:

So yay, I got a job! Now I'm fighting with the background check company, HR and the community college I got a medical transcription certificate from 20+ years ago. CC wouldn't let me see my unofficial transcript until I sent them proof I was a US citizen when I took the courses. I finally get my unofficial transcript, show the HR lady who is like, ok I see you passed but I need the graduation papers.

:crackping:

I had to call the CC, and the guy I got is pretty good and also bewildered at HR lady. He tells me he's going to call his supervisor about it because she knows way more about the vocational programs. For the record, it was a learn at your own pace thing the CC offered and as we completed the course we got a certificate. Unfortunately, I was living with my parents at the time, and my mom was a category 5 hoarder and she took the certificate and put it in a "safe place" and I never saw it again.

This job is front desk for construction equipment rentals.

I got an offer for a new job about a month ago, contingent on a background check/employment history check. They went through every nook and cranny, like I've had some private tutoring gigs and I had to supply 1099-misc forms from years ago and such. Also all sort's of w-2's that I didn't have anymore as a laptop bricked and I had to go digup from old employers. Huge pain in the butt and none of the stuff they were asking for was relevant for anything we're talking summer temp jobs etc, I didn't even have the tutoring on my resume or job history (though did mention it in passing during the interview process). They were calling my personal references and having them supply extra personal references and such, took like 3 weeks. Finally got my start date eventually though.

To be somewhat fair this is a gov contractor working at a sensitive site but to be less fair there's like a billion sub-sub-sub-contractors and laborers running around out there already (including myself! I already have several badges for being out there cause I do inspection work atm) so if someone wanted to do some espionage or terrorism or w/e there are countless easier and less documented routes of entry than getting an engineering job at one of the primary contractors.

PoundSand fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 26, 2023

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Pyrtanis posted:

y'know I felt bad about making the Yakuza joke but I kinda don't anymore lmao

Careful, you don't want to be the next transfer to Singapore.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Barudak posted:

Had a fun dinner with the boss where we discussed what it took to get 90s cops to look the other way.

Anyway today Im working on my bribery and anti-corruption yearly training.

Not only has my boss violated within recent memory pretty much everything in our ethics training modules, but he usually has someone else in the office do them for him because he's a boomer that's bad with computers.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

PoundSand posted:

To be somewhat fair this is a gov contractor working at a sensitive site but to be less fair there's like a billion sub-sub-sub-contractors and laborers running around out there already (including myself! I already have several badges for being out there cause I do inspection work atm) so if someone wanted to do some espionage or terrorism or w/e there are countless easier and less documented routes of entry than getting an engineering job at one of the primary contractors.
Sounds like you work where I work or it's sister sites.

Be prepared to accomplish much less than you ever thought possible over very long time frames.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Everyone should watch the show Patriot on Amazon prime because it's very funny but it's also about a guy doing an espionage by getting an engineering job at one of the primary contractors.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 26, 2023

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Outrail posted:

Pro tip.

Read my posts and do the opposite of whatever I seem to be doing.

E: oh yeah, I forgot to post for a while. I've been processing this over the last month:

My board finally figured out I've been one bad day from burning everything to the ground, that I needed help a break, and decided something had to be done.

Instead of committing to do the things that they said they would do, at the end of August I got dragged outside by two members and was told I was going on a two month hiatus, effective immediately. No time to debrief staff. No time to write up handover notes. No time to email the dozen or more program partners, potential funders etc. No time to explain how the budgets work. Just give them my email password and 'we'll manage'.

'The board will pitch in and the staff will handle it. We will meet with them.' Half of the staff were on vacation and we were about to hit the most important part of the year for grants and high profile project delivery(that is already a year behind schedule), with our project tech having been on the job less than a month. There was no plan as far as I can tell, just everyone just does everything and it'll magically work out.

I'd just booked a month and a half holiday in December to family my I haven't seen in 5 years. So I'm going to have a month to fix everything in November and then be off again.

Apparently I'm supposed to relax and not think about work for two months.

I'm getting paid and they say they want me back, and can't quit if I want unemployment. Honestly I feel sick every time I think about the amount of work piling up, the funding opportunities we've lost, the confidence of funder and partners who in some cases I've apparently ghosted, lost time on time sensitive projects that are seasonally dependant.

It's a dumb poo poo power move that probably worked great in 1987 but is dumb as gently caress in today's fast passed connected world.

So yeah, do the opposite of what I do and you'll be fine.

I work in grant-funded homeless services as the person supporting your kind of position and I'm on the verge of having a panic attack just reading this. Why would they think this is a good idea???

Reputation in these fields is almost everything since once you're in it you're generally working with the same people in the field for the rest of your tenure. Two months of ghosting with no opportunity to explain would be catastrophic for both the individual and the organization.

I'm really sorry they forced this on you even if you need the break. This was not the way to do it. :(

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

zedprime posted:

Anyone doing a capitalism who isn't seeing a shrink is repressing something. Which is very bad news when doing a capitalism usually means you can't afford a shrink.

Or can’t afford one. Or can’t get in to see one when needed. Or their insurance lied and there is no shrink in their area in network. All of those are issues with the US health system. But I do see posters in non-hellscape countries also having issues getting in to see a mental health doctor due to super long waits for an appointment. Like, 8 months to a year was the timeframe listed from someone in another thread recently.

Bored fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 26, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Outrail posted:

Just give them my email password and 'we'll manage'.
Nonononononononono

Do not do this.

Put on an out of office autoreply detailing when you left and when you'll be back and who to contact about things. If pushed put on an auto forward to your main backup (lol) or a group mail. Do NOT voluntarily consent to give the people you've described the ability to reply to people as if they were you.

Having a god damned panic attack at this I am.

E: also blast an "I will be unavailable at this address from..." mail to everyone in your contact list whose opinion you give a crap about before your leave.

E2: also print out like, every single important email you have and take a backup of your contact list.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 26, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Splicer posted:

Nonononononononono

Do not do this.

Put on an out of office autoreply detailing when you left and when you'll be back and who to contact about things. If pushed put on an auto forward to your main backup (lol) or a group mail. Do NOT voluntarily consent to give the people you've described the ability to reply to people as if they were you.

Having a god damned panic attack at this I am.

E: also blast an "I will be unavailable at this address from..." mail to everyone in your contact list whose opinion you give a crap about before your leave.

E2: also print out like, every single important email you have and take a backup of your contact list.

Yeah, they have admin access so it's a bit moot. I can repair most if not all of the personal relationships, I'm more concerned about the organization.

Super hosed choice of action

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

RocketMermaid posted:

Congratulations, you inadvertently discovered Surstromming.
Well technically I'm not the one who discovered it :v:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

deep dish peat moss posted:

Everyone should watch the show Patriot on Amazon prime because it's very funny but it's also about a guy doing an espionage by getting an engineering job at one of the primary contractors.

Lakeman's speech on 'The Integral Principles of the Structural Dynamics of Flow' is just :discourse:

Back on topic, corp thread should watch this show because the relationships and interaction that the main character has with his boss, HR manager and other co-workers are all completely unhinged.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Zany unhinged or eerily familiar unhinged?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Outrail posted:

I'm more concerned about the organization

Well there’s your problem

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Outrail posted:

Zany unhinged or eerily familiar unhinged?

Depends on how unhinged your own workplace is, I guess!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

bee posted:

Depends on how unhinged your own workplace is, I guess!

If you fall 40 feet but land on your head and shoulder, you’ll go unconscious for 17 minutes and then wake up ok.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Suspend your disbelief, dumb poo poo happens at work all the time!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Have to spend more money cause other departments failed to spend enough, and only I can get rid of it all so now Im contacting journalists to see if I can get some puff pieces made.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Barudak posted:

Have to spend more money cause other departments failed to spend enough, and only I can get rid of it all so now Im contacting journalists to see if I can get some puff pieces made.

"We're a traditional, legitimate Japanese Business"

You could also order a new conference table made from rare wood

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Start excavation of a new tomb/basement.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Barudak posted:

Organise some team building retreats*

*company sponsored drinking holidays

E: not in singapore

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Outrail posted:

Yeah, they have admin access so it's a bit moot. I can repair most if not all of the personal relationships, I'm more concerned about the organization.

Super hosed choice of action

Don't worry about their admin access, every org technically has that. Still contact your important contacts to let them know what's going on. You can say it's a health crisis and everyone will understand and won't pry. All the advice is good.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

If you fall 40 feet but land on your head and shoulder, you’ll go unconscious for 17 minutes and then wake up ok.

"Hey, you, you're finally awake. You were trying to cross the border, right?"

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Today my coworker told me about a construction job they did in Chile. The Chilean host company wrote up the US subcontractor company as the worst safety rating for multiple negligent death accidents because they wrote their forms in black pen and black is the death color so they had to rewrite everything, absolutely everything, in blue pen and confiscate all the deadly black ink pens until the end of the project.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
And here I've been writing safety forms in blue this whole time because I find it easier to determine if it's an original or inkjet or laser print.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Me, six months ago: "Hey work, I've got a family member scheduling some major medical poo poo at the end of the year. I'll be taking a few weeks off because they'll need help with that. Here is my plan for making sure Big Thing gets done, here is my plan for making sure Lots Of Smaller Things don't stall out. I'll also parachute in for a day in the middle to trouble shoot any emergencies, but don't expect me to be around."

Work: "Ok, Cyrano! No problem!"

Me, three months ago: "Hey work, just a reminder about me loving off for a bit at the end of the year. We're backed up on Smaller Things in an ugly way and the people who I'm handing off Big Thing to apparently haven't even started looking at the poo poo I sent them. We should take some time to address this."

Work: "OK Cyrano! No problem!"

Me, a month ago: "Hey work, poo poo's getting real. Smaller Things are hosed, everyone is still emailing me about Big Thing like I'm going to be running it at the end of the year. I'm CC'ing Boss and Boss's Boss for their awareness. I. Will. Not. Be. Doing. Big. Thing. My time off starts in early October. You have me for exactly one day on DD/MM/YY so I can troubleshoot problems people are having before Big Thing is due, but that is not enough time for me to actually do Big Thing. We should schedule meetings to discuss this and sort it out.

Work: "OK Cyrano! No problem!"

Me, yesterday: "Hey work, we should start prioritizing how we're going to do damage control. Small Things just aren't going to happen before the end of the year. That horse is out of the barn and two counties over. Big Thing is still set to happen and people are still sending me the materials for it, which I'm organizing, but I've yet to talk to the people I'm handing off to despite multiple communications about this. My leave is approved, my boss and his boss and HIS boss are all aware of it, this poo poo is happening for real. I WILL NOT BE HERE FOR BIG THING. If Big Thing does not happen here are the real world consequences as far as regulatory poo poo goes. They are not good.

Work: "OK Cyrano! No pro. . . wait what? You won't be here for Big Thing? But Small Things are done, right? You can come back to do Big Thing though, right? Right???

:aaa:

:aaaaa:

:stonk:

:derp:

:suicide:

Me: :ughh:

Seriously we had six loving months to set this up, now everyone's hair is on fire and we have like two weeks to do two months worth of work. Not even work I can just hunker down and grunt out, work other people have to do!

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 27, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sounds like a good time to lean back and do nothing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Cyrano4747 posted:

Seriously we had six loving months to set this up, now everyone's hair is on fire and we have like two weeks to do two months worth of work. Not even work I can just hunker down and grunt out, work other people have to do!

Yeah this all sounds normal, what's the problem have you never worked in a team before?

Biplane posted:

Sounds like a good time to lean back and do nothing.

Definitely call in sick for that one day you're supposed to be in.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Your mistake was saying "I'll be available for one day in case of emergencies" because managers see "available" and tune out the rest and in their mind you said "I'll be available the entire time to do all of this by myself."

Even if you know you'll be able to help out in emergencies, you tell people "I'll be spending x weeks on another planet. You won't be able to reach me in any way."

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah that's absolutely a "see my last four emails" response

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
A guy at my job moved a meeting to overlap with mine and denies that his meeting was moved even though there's a calendar invite with a different time on it and everything.

There's a kind of person who simply views the universe around them as they wish regardless of how many emails there are.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
is it the kind of coworker that replies all on any email?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

Your mistake was saying "I'll be available for one day in case of emergencies" because managers see "available" and tune out the rest and in their mind you said "I'll be available the entire time to do all of this by myself."

Even if you know you'll be able to help out in emergencies, you tell people "I'll be spending x weeks on another planet. You won't be able to reach me in any way."

This. You do not get your proper free time by preparing in advance but by unfaltering resolve to never be reachable when you are not at work. It is not just PTO you must be persistent and patient to be as difficult to reach as possible after EOBD and weekends too.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sekenr posted:

This. You do not get your proper free time by preparing in advance but by unfaltering resolve to never be reachable when you are not at work. It is not just PTO you must be persistent and patient to be as difficult to reach as possible after EOBD and weekends too.

Believe me, I'm 100% on team never answer emails after 5pm.

I don't have a problem coming in for the one day, it was my suggestion. This isn't some fun PTO thing, this is me taking time off to help with medical poo poo. It's also directly running up against pretty much the one, big responsibility I have, the entire reason I'm at this place at all. If they'd told me to gently caress off with the time off? Eat my rear end, I'd have quit on the spot. But I'm legit putting them in a rough spot not being there at that time. It would have been wildly inappropriate for me to ask for that particular time slot to go have a vacation, for example. Even if this had been prepped properly, things were going to get hosed up, and having me there to answer those questions is reasonable.

gently caress, if nothing else this is funneling what I'm sure would have been a bunch of phone calls wanting to talk to me while I'm off into one day where I'm actually getting paid.

The problem is that everyone needs to do a bit of prep to get ready for this, and the reality of that has been ignored by everyone but me for half a year now. And now the wheels are likely to come off and, yeah, I'm coming in for my one day to try and put out the fires and tell people where the files are, but I'm also not coming back in the next day or any other day until I'm scheduled to.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Believe me, I'm 100% on team never answer emails after 5pm.

I don't have a problem coming in for the one day, it was my suggestion. This isn't some fun PTO thing, this is me taking time off to help with medical poo poo. It's also directly running up against pretty much the one, big responsibility I have, the entire reason I'm at this place at all. If they'd told me to gently caress off with the time off? Eat my rear end, I'd have quit on the spot. But I'm legit putting them in a rough spot not being there at that time. It would have been wildly inappropriate for me to ask for that particular time slot to go have a vacation, for example. Even if this had been prepped properly, things were going to get hosed up, and having me there to answer those questions is reasonable.

gently caress, if nothing else this is funneling what I'm sure would have been a bunch of phone calls wanting to talk to me while I'm off into one day where I'm actually getting paid.

The problem is that everyone needs to do a bit of prep to get ready for this, and the reality of that has been ignored by everyone but me for half a year now. And now the wheels are likely to come off and, yeah, I'm coming in for my one day to try and put out the fires and tell people where the files are, but I'm also not coming back in the next day or any other day until I'm scheduled to.

Seems to me like it's all your coworkers putting themselves in a terrible spot :shrug:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Biplane posted:

Seems to me like it's all your coworkers putting themselves in a terrible spot :shrug:

You misunderstand.

Me not being available at this time of the year is, truly, creating an unfortunate situation. To use a crude example: someone who works as a mall santa probably shouldn't take off late november and early december. Me needing that specific window did create a pretty rough situation.

Now, where you are correct is that they 100% did put themselves in an even worse position by not doing any of the poo poo I said they needed to do to prepare for it.

(they also put themselves in a poo poo spot by not having two people share responsibilities for this crap, but that's a whole separate issue)

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
The more interesting thing is, I think, what will happen when you return - to see how much poo poo everyone will try to give you for this, even though you are absolutely not at fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Splicer posted:

Organise some team building retreats*

*company sponsored drinking holidays

E: not in singapore

Actually yes, in Singapore. Keep them guessing so they don't get complacent.