Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Rock n roll express broke up in August 1988?

You're gonna learn something about Wrestling Breakups and Wrestler Retirements over the next few months lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
terry funk first retired in 1983

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

You're gonna learn something about Wrestling Breakups and Wrestler Retirements over the next few months lol

I'm guessing it is crockett flailing or Gibson is hurt.

It is just weird having them announce that Morton is pursing a solo career now and if he tag teams it will be Nikita. Such a weird pairing.

Whatever though. Morton has been higher than an airplane in every appearance since they cane back.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ganso Bomb posted:

So glad this ended with “padlocking them…” and not “taking a poo poo in them”

I missed the word "bags" which made your post even stranger.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the promo where mr fuji, yokozuna, and mean gene are at a japanese restaurant and yokozuna is just shooting on the yakiniku in the background while mr fuji goes YES MEAN GENE-SAN, EAT THE RICE. HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH is incredible

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I feel like Vince kept putting Fuji on camera because he found his accent hilarious.

It’s the only possible explanation for Fuji Vice.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Fuji peaked with Demolition imo but still had some gas with the Powers of Pain. By Yoko they had to pair him with Corny and he was just around for the salt in the eyes spot.

He took a good Demolition Decapitation at WM5 or 6 tho.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel like Vince kept putting Fuji on camera because he found his accent hilarious.

It’s the only possible explanation for Fuji Vice.

Sadly you're right on the money.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

So glad this ended with “padlocking them…” and not “taking a poo poo in them”

I mean I wouldn't rule it out

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Halloween Jack posted:

He was the 11-time winner of Big Dave's Worst Manager Awards, until he was replaced by Sonny Onoo. I never understood why anyone thought either of those characters was a good idea. I mean, I understand it, but I don't understand it.

I think what makes him especially uncomfortable isn't just that he's a racist gimmick, it's it being a racist gimmick that feels a good 20 to 30 years out of date for the era it's in, probably why I got so surprised by that Kamala segment too

Anyways I watched part of Clash of The Champions 22 last night after Raw #1 and it's funny seeing all these guys who either will become huge later in the decade(Steve Austin, Mick Foley) and/or undergo radical alterations(like Sting or Rick Rude), and seeing Chris Benoit in anything will always be a bit awkward, 2 Cold Scorpio had a very "interesting" intro video gimmick, and the opening bit with Tony Schiavone and Bill Watts was funny if for nothing else than the fact that Bill is like twice Tony's size

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Al Perez's spinning throw is one of the funniest moves I've ever seen.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

drrockso20 posted:

I think what makes him especially uncomfortable isn't just that he's a racist gimmick, it's it being a racist gimmick that feels a good 20 to 30 years out of date for the era it's in, probably why I got so surprised by that Kamala segment too

Anyways I watched part of Clash of The Champions 22 last night after Raw #1 and it's funny seeing all these guys who either will become huge later in the decade(Steve Austin, Mick Foley) and/or undergo radical alterations(like Sting or Rick Rude), and seeing Chris Benoit in anything will always be a bit awkward, 2 Cold Scorpio had a very "interesting" intro video gimmick, and the opening bit with Tony Schiavone and Bill Watts was funny if for nothing else than the fact that Bill is like twice Tony's size

https://youtu.be/83w9pMhz4Ic?si=DcR0E_mETOizlRB_

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lol, anyways watching more of Clash and why the hell is WCW doing Arm Wrestling and treating it as something worth giving PPV* time to

Also it's funny contrasting how WWF and WCW treat talking about or showing Wrestlers not currently employed by them, WWF usually tries to pretend they don't exist while WCW doesn't care and will gladly talk about or show old footage featuring people no longer with them at the time like the Steiner Brothers or Ric Flair

*yes I know Clash isn't actually a PPV but whatever

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Arm Wrestling wasn't just a WCW/NWA gimmick it was something other feds loved to do time to time in the 80's/90's

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Was trying to find out why arm wrestling was such a big thing in the 80s. Still unclear, but I did discover the term of art for practitioners is “pullers”

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I knew it was briefly popular for a bit in the 80's(mostly because of that one Sylvester Stallone movie) but didn't think it would extend into the 90's

Also Cactus Jack winning a major match thanks mostly by beating the poo poo out of a bunch of guys with a boot is just magical, also man the audience is loving him and it astounds me that WCW didn't realize the talent they had in a guy like him in the long run(like yeah sure that could be said about a lot of guys but it especially sticks out with Mick Foley)

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

drrockso20 posted:

I knew it was briefly popular for a bit in the 80's(mostly because of that one Sylvester Stallone movie) but didn't think it would extend into the 90's

Also Cactus Jack winning a major match thanks mostly by beating the poo poo out of a bunch of guys with a boot is just magical, also man the audience is loving him and it astounds me that WCW didn't realize the talent they had in a guy like him in the long run(like yeah sure that could be said about a lot of guys but it especially sticks out with Mick Foley)

Stallone got $12 million to star in OVER THE TOP, I'm in the wrong business lol

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mr Hootington posted:

Al Perez's spinning throw is one of the funniest moves I've ever seen.

It's a hell of lot less funny when Santam Singh does it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

haljordan posted:

Stallone got $12 million to star in OVER THE TOP, I'm in the wrong business lol

Also featuring Terry Funk (RIP), Reggie Bennett and Scott Norton when he was 'just' an arm wrestler.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Dawgstar posted:

Also featuring Terry Funk (RIP), Reggie Bennett and Scott Norton when he was 'just' an arm wrestler.

I like to think after Robert Loggia's character in Over the Top fired him as a bodyguard, Terry Funk had to take a job bouncing at the shitkicker bar in Road House.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 23, 2023

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Dawgstar posted:

This video featuring the promo Funk cut on Stallone for his audition is a must watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNpawn45ZnU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Finished Clash of Champions 3. It was half decent. Now I get to witness the death throes of JCP.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Terry is great.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I tried watching arm wrestling in the 90s. There was a dude called the Cobra who had a long tongue that he would waggle intimidatingly at his opponents. that's as much as I watched,

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Some sports are just really not conducive to being spectator sports. Arm wrestling is one of them and body building is another.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Halloween Jack posted:

Some sports are just really not conducive to being spectator sports. Arm wrestling is one of them and body building is another.

I remember the WBF started and it was just weird. Let's go look at interchangeable dudes with muscles. Who don't hit each other or hold swords. loving bullshit.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They called a guy "The Executioner" and didn't give him an axe. Stupid!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The WBF existed just so Vince could :vince: over Gary Strydom (whaow). All other considerations were secondary.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
it was so he could try and screw over the IFBB not understanding that bodybuilding is niche and no one is going to buy a ppv for it even if you add wrestling storylines to the bodybuilding

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
xfl lol

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

this show was way better than arm wrestling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb1Z_01CTVM

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Nothin' but ninja!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Man that horseman vs midnight express match was good. We were robbed!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

The WBF existed just so Vince could :vince: over Gary Strydom (whaow). All other considerations were secondary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbsRtuoIDSc

I thought maybe my memories were overtuned about this clip but no, that's the horniest Vince McMahon has ever been.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/RememberingWCW/status/1707191318579941762

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Halloween Jack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuNuEuW_jp8

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Sonny Onoo was the office’s Japanese liaison, and having a bilingual manager for Japanese talent you’re bringing in is a good idea but they really should have found someone on-camera who was better than him. It’s not like he’s the only guy in the country who speaks English and Japanese.

I have no idea why they had him managing luchadores or doing a double act with the Cat.
Sonny Onoo also speaks Spanish.

The gimmick was definitely unfortunate, perhaps even more so because one week on Nitro, Onoo cut a promo where he "accidentally" lost the stereotypical accent, Gene Okerlund called him out on it, and Onoo suddenly pivoted into a new character. Basically, the idea was that he decided to put on that persona to lull people into seeing him as more non-threatening and ineffectual. And then it was never referenced again. So even though they introduced a shift to a much less offensive version of the gimmick, it was immediately dropped.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
talk about...stepping out for a night on the town!!!!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I have zero memory of this but it loving rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

davidbix posted:

Sonny Onoo also speaks Spanish.

The gimmick was definitely unfortunate, perhaps even more so because one week on Nitro, Onoo cut a promo where he "accidentally" lost the stereotypical accent, Gene Okerlund called him out on it, and Onoo suddenly pivoted into a new character. Basically, the idea was that he decided to put on that persona to lull people into seeing him as more non-threatening and ineffectual. And then it was never referenced again. So even though they introduced a shift to a much less offensive version of the gimmick, it was immediately dropped.

Exactly what I'd expect from a company that employed Terry Taylor for years.