Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

1stGear posted:

There's videos of people beating the game on the highest difficulty in about 10 minutes so it can absolutely be broken. It's just a question of whether or not you want to put the time into doing so.

Goon Worm Girl has a story summary if you want to get the gist of the genuinely interesting lore and story without the anal bleeding.

Oh, Worm Girl's a goon? I watched their videos on F&H which got me interested in the games in the first place. There's just nothing else like them. But yeah there's just an element of luck present in them that I think would frustrate me to no end if I actually tried playing. There are ways to mitigate it, for sure, but sometimes you might just face a guy and they just chop off your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

2 has an easy mode that is still difficult but removes the traps and some of the more annoying enemy encounters. I wouldn't super recommend it but I think it's a good option for people who find the game a bit too Kaizo tier.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Neo Rasa posted:

I'd recommend playing one of the first three Silent Hill games because while there technically is combat in them by volume, if you set it to easy you can wade through that aspect of the game without much though and just enjoy the incredible atmosphere.

I did this with Signalis last year, pulled the combat difficulty all the way down so I could sail through it as a vibes game. I have a feeling I missed out on the total Signalis Experience(TM), though, in limiting the tension and dread that derives from its claustrophic and restricted gameplay. Similarly, with the combat difficulty turned down it really does expose how straightforward it is as a fetch puzzle run-around, I never had to worry about how I was going to get from A to B to A and back to B again, nor sit in a safe-room and gee myself up for the gauntlet ahead, and those little periods of worrying and those feelings of apprehension I think are crucial ingredients to this kind of survival horror. That said, I only have so much time these days and one of the strengths of Signalis is that its just as strong as a dreamlike vibes odyssey as it is a mix of survival horror gameplay archetypes and tropes. I loved it.

Maybe I will give Silent Hill 2 a go again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Simiain posted:

I did this with Signalis last year, pulled the combat difficulty all the way down so I could sail through it as a vibes game. I have a feeling I missed out on the total Signalis Experience(TM), though, in limiting the tension and dread that derives from its claustrophic and restricted gameplay. Similarly, with the combat difficulty turned down it really does expose how straightforward it is as a fetch puzzle run-around, I never had to worry about how I was going to get from A to B to A and back to B again, nor sit in a safe-room and gee myself up for the gauntlet ahead, and those little periods of worrying and those feelings of apprehension I think are crucial ingredients to this kind of survival horror. That said, I only have so much time these days and one of the strengths of Signalis is that its just as strong as a dreamlike vibes odyssey as it is a mix of survival horror gameplay archetypes and tropes. I loved it.

Maybe I will give Silent Hill 2 a go again.

Highly, highly, highly reccomend if you're going to play SH2 you play the Enhanced Edition fan project. It's insanely good with a ton of work put into it.

https://enhanced.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CuddleCryptid posted:

I bought the first one and tried it out, and yeah the game is certainly something you can make easier, but also still pretty random. I was able to work my way down a couple of floors by a decent amount of memorization and also learning how the limb severing system works, although I'll see how it works out long term. I don't mind difficult games, but I feel like the coin flip system is going to become infuriating in time when you lose a flip and you have to replay a long section. You can spend a coin to help your chances but I'll probably have some pretty lengthy ragequits when everything goes to hell.

It seems compelling enough that I'm going to keep going for now, off and on at least. I just got a bit burned out before figuring out how to make the system worked because the opening of the game is searching a shitload of containers for carrots and bits of string and I did that like six times.

Yeah I had that happen and frankly it was just sort of stupid. I guess crawling around guaranteed to die afterwards is thematically relevant but it was a real RPGmaker horror game moment.

Something to be aware of with the coin flips, which the second game tutorializes you on but the first one doesn't (this is another area where the dev clearly took feedback for the sequel, it's a lot better about teaching you its basic mechanics), is that if you're guarding on the turn they do a coin flip attack, you will automatically evade it with no flip required. Knowing when to guard still requires a bit of experimentation but every enemy has either some kind of tell indicating one is coming next turn, or a consistent pattern to how often they use it.

Also something that makes the game immensely less frustrating is that when you've cleared out all the enemies in an area, saving in a bed becomes safe (this is most usable in the prison area, where the enemies are pretty easy to deal with unless you get unlucky and the guard captain spawns there). You will still do the coin flip but failing it has no consequences.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 26, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Am I the only one hoping we still get a Kona sequel? :kiddo:

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Medullah posted:

Highly, highly, highly reccomend if you're going to play SH2 you play the Enhanced Edition fan project. It's insanely good with a ton of work put into it.

Those vanilla PC screens are more horrific than anything Yamaoka and co. have dreamt up, good lord.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I... kinda don't see how most of the changes make things better... Maybe it looks better in motion?

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

Am I the only one hoping we still get a Kona sequel? :kiddo:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1229020/Kona_II_Brume/

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Medullah posted:

Really impressive project but I played this version and it's basically like removing a layer of grain and grime from the game that originally helped establish the game's atmosphere. It was really never meant to look that sharp or high resolution, despite how much they tried to maintain the aesthetic, I still think the best way to play this game is on a poo poo CRT with a PS2 copy. I also think the game's framing and camerawork was explicitly designed with 4:3 in mind, the composition of a lot of scenes suffered because of this while playing in wide-screen. These games relied a lot on manipulating the camera and showing you exactly what they wanted to be seen, and playing 16:9 undercuts that. Pretty sure you can just pillar box this enhanced version though.

Also I'm not sure if this version has surround sound, one of the most annoying things about SH2 is that the Xbox version had full 5.1 support which was absolutely incredible, but was a very rear end version in many other respects.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I still think the best way to play this game is on a poo poo CRT with a PS2 copy

:emptyquote:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Funnily enough the first times I saw Silent Hill 2 on PS2 in 2002-ish it was on projector and flat panel.

I think the Enhanced Edition is just going for the next best experience at the resolution, though, since it can't easily turn your monitor into a busted 4:3 29.9 x 26.8 full of bleeding pixels.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Really impressive project but I played this version and it's basically like removing a layer of grain and grime from the game that originally helped establish the game's atmosphere. It was really never meant to look that sharp or high resolution, despite how much they tried to maintain the aesthetic, I still think the best way to play this game is on a poo poo CRT with a PS2 copy. I also think the game's framing and camerawork was explicitly designed with 4:3 in mind, the composition of a lot of scenes suffered because of this while playing in wide-screen. These games relied a lot on manipulating the camera and showing you exactly what they wanted to be seen, and playing 16:9 undercuts that. Pretty sure you can just pillar box this enhanced version though.

Also I'm not sure if this version has surround sound, one of the most annoying things about SH2 is that the Xbox version had full 5.1 support which was absolutely incredible, but was a very rear end version in many other respects.

I dunno, I played the PS2 version about 15 times through and the Enhanced Edition about 5 times since I found it. I guess if you're a purist stick with the OG but I love the EE, it looks amazing and to me the lack of grain isn't a negative.

Just whatever you do don't play the HD collection on PS3/Xbox 360. :D

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Kona was rad but I got a game ending softlock bug about four hours in and never went back. That’ll really ruin a game for ya

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just wait for the SH2 remake now imo

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Just wait for the SH2 remake now imo

I don't think that's going to be very good.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

At the very least, waiting for people to get it, review it and tell us how it is in articles and posts is free so it doesn't hurt to wait for that at least.

If it's perfectly playable and still captures like 50% of the spirit of the original, it's still way better than most horror games out there.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Skillup preview on Alan Wake Zwei:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUi1GG_qQ7g

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't like the Epic store for various reasons but I really want to play AW2 and it's unlikely to go to steam since Epic is funding part of it so I'll probably pick it up after the first of the year when I'm thru all the other games that I want to play that came out this year. I like Stephen King books more than I should so AW was a perfect game for me.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

poo poo, it's Epic? Eh, then wait a while. 2023 is stacked anyway.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The Epic Store is fine. You click the button and the game launches.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Instant Grat posted:

The Epic Store is fine. You click the button and the game launches.

it wasn't for a long time lol, and first impressions mean a lot.

I'll probably still pick up AW2 if it's legit as amazing as it sounds from that vid though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think Tim Sweeney is uniquely annoying and it got real old to have 10+ emails a week saying someone tried to access my account when I first made one and then have support tell me it wasn't a bit deal. I own some stuff on EGS, I'm not fully against it, but pretending like it's just as good as steam or there is literally no reason to dislike it is stupid. It's pointless arguing this but here I am anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tim Sweeney did the needful and gave Remedy a bazillion dollars to make this game, I didn't see sad Gabe cutting Remedy any checks!!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Epic has given me a shitload of free games so it's cool in my book

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I'm not gonna get into a big thing about it, but like

It's fine. It's a storefront. You buy the thing and click the button and the game plays. As somone who plays with PlayStation controllers, the lack of Steam Input is a minor annoyance, but thanks to DS4Windows, that's all it is.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I just add whatever games I get from Epic to my Steam library and never think about it until I remember they give free games.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It's going to be incredible. I will be playing Alan Wake 2 day one on the Epic Store. In fact, I will preorder it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Also The Cat Lady was fire, I can't remember if it was recommended to me here or in the Adventure game thread but it was a good rec.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll play it on my PS5

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sakurazuka posted:

I'll play it on my PS5

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sakurazuka posted:

I'll play it on my PS5

I call it the PS Quint, short for quintuple

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Also The Cat Lady was fire, I can't remember if it was recommended to me here or in the Adventure game thread but it was a good rec.

It's a great game, glad you liked it. It has good story, acting, and mechanics so long as you can get through the actual gameplay which is like trying to feed an engine block through a pasta maker.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I would absolutely be preordering Alan Wake 2 if I wasn't in the middle of a bunch of other games. Loved every non Quantum Break game Remedy has put out and the Control AW DLC just made me want AW2 even more.

Mr E fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 27, 2023

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

I think that was me, in here. Glad you liked it! It is such a gem.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Whoa, $49.99 on PC vs $59.99 on PS5? Gimme that :10bux:, I'll deal with Epic.

e: actually, I dunno. I assume Epic doesn't have the free return window like Steam? My computer's at the point where I like to give new games a test drive to make sure they run fine.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Whoa, $49.99 on PC vs $59.99 on PS5? Gimme that :10bux:, I'll deal with Epic.

e: actually, I dunno. I assume Epic doesn't have the free return window like Steam? My computer's at the point where I like to give new games a test drive to make sure they run fine.

They have a better refund system than Steam because its automatic rather than having to wait 1-2 days. Same 2 hour period stuff.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh good, thanks! That'll make things a lot easier.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I watched a 6 hour Pathologic bachelor route playthrough and it made me want to try Pathologic 2 again, but last time I tried playing that game I fell into a pretty bad depression for a couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm sure a second attempt will put you in a much nicer depression.