Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Pokémon type?
This poll is closed.
Plain 6 3.17%
Hot 7 3.70%
Wet 15 7.94%
Green 11 5.82%
Shocking 2 1.06%
Cold 3 1.59%
Punchy 7 3.70%
Poisonous 4 2.12%
Brown 7 3.70%
Bird 11 5.82%
Weird 17 8.99%
Gross 11 5.82%
Solid 2 1.06%
Scary 8 4.23%
Dragon 5 2.65%
Creepy 18 9.52%
Mech 33 17.46%
Pink 22 11.64%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

That's gotta be her final form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

I know developers who use 30fps and they're all cowards

There’s a lot of slow motion. The levels were running up to eight minutes under. The only way to stretch them out was with slow motion. And we tried to keep the slow motion away from the dialogue as much as possible. Anything without dialogue was considered for slow motion.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

njsykora posted:

Speaking of games that got Zero Dawned by another game in their genre, I was just reminded that Spelunky 2 launched 2 days before Hades.

I was also reminded that Spelunky 2 exists.

Spelunky 2 was a wet fart. It was a Spelunky designed for the type of person who was speedrunning Spelunky and getting secret endings with their eyes closed. For everyone else it was just a bad, mean, repetitive Spelunky. Got so sick of the first boss and level that never changes. And so many more unfun traps to end your run because you didn't notice the slight art difference on a block that's almost off screen.

On one level I can appreciate he got to officially release his own Kaizo for his most hardcore spelunkiest fans but on all the other levels I bought a game that wasn't fun to play especially compared to his previous attempts at the same game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Series peaked at Spelunker

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Back in my day when games ran at 15fps it was because there was too much awesomeness onscreen to be contained in the PS2's puny discreader, not like now where lazy devs make a coffee cup somehow take up 7.8GB of VRAM.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I got pretty good at spelunker when it came out on the Wii VC. was able to get to the second adventure reliably but my luck always ran out there, those ghost always spawned at the most inconvenient times

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Thinking about Fable 2 on the 360 hitting a whopping 20 fps.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I didn’t mind spelunky 2 being harder but I did mind it being a slog. It’s still a matter of getting 2% farther than your previous best before you instantly die to something you basically couldn’t prepare for without more knowledge, which is fine, except now the first world is a slog to get through and you have to do it every time which means every run is now a slog. it’s way more dense with traps and enemies than spelunky 1’s first world, it has way too many 3-health enemies with obnoxious arbitrary moments of invincibility (loving moles), and its last level always has the exact same structure so it gets samey fast. they knew the game takes longer because there’s more time on the clock before the ghost shows up, and levels designed to take 2:30 minutes moving to 3:00 doesn’t sound like much but over enough short runs that really adds up. I should have enjoyed it because I liked both spelunky classic and spelunky 1 HD, but 2 was so exhausting I dropped it before I ever got a basic win

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I think at the moment my top 10 for GOTY 2023 is looking like this:

1. Armored Core 6
2. FFXVI
3. Octopath Traveller 2
4. Ghost Trick Remaster
5. Hi Fi Rush
6. Attorney of the Arcane
7. Holocure 0.6 update
8. Street Fighter 6 (I know, haven't been in much of an FG mood lately, it's my fault not the game's fault)
9. FFXIV
10. Arknights

Only 2 games which aren't live service games, that's a lot for me TBH. Gonna see if I can get a couple more games in before end of the year to shake things up even more.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shard posted:

Thinking about Fable 2 on the 360 hitting a whopping 20 fps.

I wish we got a remaster of that, I loved Fable 2 lol

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

RBA Starblade posted:

I wish we got a remaster of that, I loved Fable 2 lol

Honestly the thing I miss most about getting rid of my Xbox 1 is losing the ability to play Fable 2 (and Rare Replay).

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

how to feel old: there are people in discords I'm in that area genuinely confused why Fighting Miku has Sirfetch'd as their Pokemon companion.

not knowing about leekspin smh

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So far my list is

1) Baldur's Gate 3
2) Lies of P
3) Gravity Circuit
4) Street Fighter 6
5) Mortal Kombat 1

Still need to play AC6 so this might change soon. This fall is PACKED gaming wise.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I liked BotW a lot, but realizing that TotK hadn't iterated on much besides wacky physics tools was pretty disappointing and made me a lot harsher on BotW in retrospect now that it seems that sort of dungeon and general game design is what they want the series to be like forever now, it wasn't just first pass issues.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's been a weird year for me where a lot of high quality poo poo has come out in genres i don't have much interest in (sf6, bg3. mk1) or i feel weird listing because they're remakes (prime, dead space).

i think my favorites so far, counting releases this year, are Octo2 (not finished), and Paranormasight

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

hosed up totk isnt on these lists tbh

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

TotK dumped an entire toolbox in your lap and said to go nuts, i'm always happy when a game trusts me

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah TOTK wasn't one i finished but i enjoyed all the time i spent on it. should go back to it.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

TotK is great but strangely enough I seem to prefer BotW more for its atmosphere even though TotK is literally just BotW with a lot more stuff added on

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I loved the first 25 hours I put into ToTK but stopped after the first temple to play other things. I'll get back to it after FF16, RE4R and Bayonetta 3 are complete.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Annath posted:

Honestly the thing I miss most about getting rid of my Xbox 1 is losing the ability to play Fable 2 (and Rare Replay).

My series X has become my xbox classics machine. Best way to play kotor and jade empire and all the Fables.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
ToTK was at the top of my list before but thinking back I might've enjoyed Pikmin 4 or Fire Emblem Engage a bit more. top ten is gonna be hard this year

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I don't go to Zelda games for wacky physics hijinks, weapon durability, and janky crafting.

I like Zelda games for fairly lengthy, puzzle filled dungeons that make use of a series of new tools to work through them.

I don't need, or want, a big open world beyond what was portrayed in OoT or TP.

Again, I'm not saying people who liked BotW and TotK are wrong, but both games basically failed to check every single "what I like about Zelda games" box.

My hope is that their next game will be a return to the classic style, but I'm honestly worried that the success of these latest 2 games is going to cause Nintendo to lean into that style.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jay Rust posted:

TotK dumped an entire toolbox in your lap and said to go nuts, i'm always happy when a game trusts me

same, i love those games, except with me that trust is usually misplaced. i barely do anything interesting with them myself, because i have the creativity of a styrofoam cup.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm still having trouble dealing with how a mashup of Bloodborne and Pinocchio has a real shot at being the best game I've played all year but unless it completely shits the bed in the final chapters I may have to learn to accept that

Also weird that this is the year in which 3 different games derailed and forced me to drop them before I felt done (neon white and jedi survivor straight up ate my saves, the dead space remake glitched out in a way that killed all motivation to finish playthrough 2)

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 27, 2023

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Totk blows botw out of the water and botw was amazing so what I'm saying is totk is double amazing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Annath posted:

My hope is that their next game will be a return to the classic style, but I'm honestly worried that the success of these latest 2 games is going to cause Nintendo to lean into that style.

I wouldn't mind a new straight up 2D (or whatever you'd call Phantom Hourglass) Zelda.

haveblue posted:

I'm still having trouble dealing with how a mashup of Bloodborne and Pinocchio has a real shot at being the best game I've played all year but unless it completely shits the bed in the final chapters I may have to learn to accept that

How big (long) is it compared to the similar From games?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
botw had a post apocalyptic vibe which was pretty neat -- it's clear in ToTK everyone is rebuilding, which is also interesting but some people love that post apocalypse stuff

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I really like BotW / ToTK style Zelda but yeah I wish they would continue to make 2D Zelda's in the classic style as well.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rinkles posted:

How big (long) is it compared to the similar From games?

Comparable, I'm around 30 hours in (although it feels like a quarter of that was spent on one absolute fucker of a boss)

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 27, 2023

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Spelunky 2 was a wet fart. It was a Spelunky designed for the type of person who was speedrunning Spelunky and getting secret endings with their eyes closed. For everyone else it was just a bad, mean, repetitive Spelunky. Got so sick of the first boss and level that never changes. And so many more unfun traps to end your run because you didn't notice the slight art difference on a block that's almost off screen.

On one level I can appreciate he got to officially release his own Kaizo for his most hardcore spelunkiest fans but on all the other levels I bought a game that wasn't fun to play especially compared to his previous attempts at the same game.

Yeah it was probably the most disappointing game I've played in quite some time? Spelunky was a perfect game so I would have been fine with a Spelunky sequel that was more of the same with new stuff in it instead of making it for the hardcore players only.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Zelda almost certainly won't go back to the old style because in changing the series went right from SS' 4M copies on Wii to BotW's 30M. I'm not a weirdo who thinks the series was ever remotely struggling, but BotW/TotK genuinely overshadow the entire rest of the franchise.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

you can do both, as seen with mario. not to mention LBTW wasn't THAT long ago

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They already used all their good dungeon and item ideas for classic dungeons and gameplay so it's good they aren't just churning out what a Zelda Maker could.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
LBTW came out a decade ago...

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

hatty posted:

that's a blink of an eye in todd howard time

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Srice posted:

Yeah it was probably the most disappointing game I've played in quite some time? Spelunky was a perfect game so I would have been fine with a Spelunky sequel that was more of the same with new stuff in it instead of making it for the hardcore players only.

Just watched some speedruns to see all I never got to, and it's a lot but also I would've never survived most of it. I wanna say I got to the first babyest ending but I'm not sure, could just be memories of previous games.

I aborted my YouTube watching though because some guy going for this challenge run or whatever was babbling and I caught part of his speal about drinking olive oil because he gets way more calories from it than meals that take longer to prepare, and if it took longer to prepare than chugging olive oil he said he was too lazy to do it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

hatty posted:

And that already was conceived as a straight remake and leans on LttP heavily as is. The last fully original traditional 2D zelda is almost 20 years old, and the people who made it work on the 3D zeldas now if they're still around.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

there's at least two titles coming out soon-ish with the explicit conceit of being LttP-esque dungeon makers, so that should scratch the classic zelda itch a bit once they release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
TOTK was great but I think there was about a couple weeks or so before a ton of attention grabbing games came out like SF6, Diablo 4, FF16, Pikmin 4, BG3, Armored core 6, Lies of P, Cyberpunk 2.0 oh god the list is endless. Takes a lot of discipline to stick to a long sandbox game during the last 2 months of releases. For better or worse, a traditional more linear Zelda probably could have been completed before all that poo poo came out.