Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Nilbop posted:

Does it say a lot about me that I have zero faith in anyone in Westminster resigning over doing the same?

He’s being used as a fall guy and imo all the people going mask off tying themselves in knots to say the ss are good actually is part of what’s prompted suella to get so brazen on her nazi poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Diet Crack posted:

Reminder that Max Mosley called himself "on the left" as he handed out flyers at Oswald's side basically saying what Braverman is saying now.
speaking of 'basically saying what Braverman is saying now'
https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1706696399834775998
i'm not entirely sure this makes the same point that john thinks it does

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Whenever anyone mentions their Six Sigma bullshit I start to back away towards the nearest exit in case an Agile Scrum breaks out and I become a dickhead

Pfft, why learn new Excel functions when I already know XLOOKUP, that should do me til retirement

When I got my Hi karate six sigma black belt (very many moons ago), noone had heard of Agile Scrums thank the lord. The most disturbing thing I found was when you set up the groups and you always had to put a value of 'Honesty' down, once the 'blokes on the shovels'* (pway workers etc) had left the meeting, the C-suite & 1 rank lower bods would have a discussion about how they expected the shovellers to tell them everything but that it was naturally understood that the c-suiters couldn't (be honest)

*ed: to clarify: literally the people who used shovels when working on the 'permanent way' (where the rails go)

Six six sigma not the number of the beast...

Jae in six sigma karate mode:

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 27, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

I assume business analysts primarily exist to monitor KPIs and promoting synergy.

Have you been watching Disclosure (the movie) recently?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

No I just know Middle Manager Bullshit and have thankfully avoided it most of my working life.

In fact ever since I got a white collar I've somehow managed to avoid it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The most disturbing thing I found was when you set up the groups and you always had to put a value of 'Honesty' down, once the 'blokes on the shovels' (pway workers etc) had left the meeting, the C-suite & 1 rank lower bods would have a discussion about how they expected the shovellers to tell them everything but that it was naturally understood that the c-suiters couldn't (be honest).

Don't think I quite understand this - are you saying the C-suite expected the bean counters to be forthcoming but expected it to be a given that they themselves were not?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

No I just know Middle Manager Bullshit and have thankfully avoided it most of my working life.

In fact ever since I got a white collar I've somehow managed to avoid it.

This was the bit I was referring to, Meredith tried to set up Sanders, and ends up losing the plot over 'synergies' (at 3:30).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emKcqBql4rs

Tesseraction posted:

Don't think I quite understand this - are you saying the C-suite expected the bean counters to be forthcoming but expected it to be a given that they themselves were not?

It wasn't the bean counters they expected to be forthcoming but literally permanent way workers who quite often use shovels in their work (sure BessantJ can confirm!)
Six sigma teams were supposed to be vertical and the involvement of pway workers was to try to get to the bottom of whatever issue was under investigation relevant to pway.
Other projects involved hands-on signallers.
In theory it's a sound idea, instead of change being ordained by overpaid consultants or c-suiters who think an etch-a-sketch is a sophisticated laptop and who are clueless as to what the work actually entails, get the bodies who do the actual work involved.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 27, 2023

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Josef bugman posted:

I would do this, but my (hopefully soon to be) Mrs cannot really deal with frozen and defrosted food. Autism and sensory issues, that kind of thing.

We are being more sensible and only eating out rarely, and making sure that we cook healthy stuff for evening meals and lunches.

The wife and I have also been looking at changing meal plans to reduce ammount spent on dinners and lunches. (As a coeliac she has to pretty much make sure last night's dinner can also be brought in as tomorrow dinner if she is going to the office as its so hard getting good GF microwaveable meals and forget about buying GF sandwiches if you are out and about as a coeliac with cross-contamination.)

So, one option open to you to reduce costs (though if it's anything like last time, will result in the thread calling for you to be put up against the wall for considering.)
Buy a rice cooker and a big bag of rice.
You can get 10KG plus bags of rice from Asian markets and you can make a lot of very good meals for cheap using rice. (I like doing stir fried rice mixes and Sushi bowls, which are all quick dinners that can be made very health very easily and also can keep in the fridge for a day or two without freezing.)

Personally I recommend that if you are going down this route to buy a good quality rice cooker as it'll make it very easy to schedule or batch cook rice and also makes cooking rice really simple* as opposed to the hundreds of variants to the answer as to "how exactly do you cook rice."

*= With a good rice cooker, it is literally just "measure out the amount of rice you want, pour in the right amount of water, press button and walk away."

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Got my Six Ligma

Balls

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

"I have unconditional access to X about you, your access to X about me is conditional" is one of the core measurements of how one way power works.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

"I have unconditional access to X about you, your access to X about me is conditional" is one of the core measurements of how one way power works.

The Elon Approach

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah the theory is mostly fine but the praxis seems to be scrumlords wanking each other into submission and no discernible improvement to anything. Ah well

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What's an Agile Ceremony? Does that involve pledging yourself to Black Philip or something?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

In Cairo I was delivering some management training (1st line mgt - supervisors / team leaders) to a company and was having pre-training discussions with their HR guy about what exactly they wanted. "Does your company have a mission statement or vision?" "Yes". "Have you shared it with everyone?" "No, they don't need to know it". "So they're all have their own idea of which way the boat is going because noone has told them the destination?" "Yeah I guess".

(Apologies for having delivered management training as one element of my 'portfolio' ) :guillotine:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The Question IRL posted:

You can get 10KG plus bags of rice from Asian markets and you can make a lot of very good meals for cheap using rice

And it's also better rice that actually tastes and smells good.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

What's an Agile Ceremony? Does that involve pledging yourself to Black Philip or something?

Scrum tribute

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

There are four main Agile ceremonies: the sprint planning meeting, the daily stand-up meeting, the sprint review meeting, and the sprint retrospective meeting. Before each of these ceremonies take place, all team members should know this key information: Who on the development team is involved in this ceremony?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly I have only seen this management stuff by other people referencing it and I feel like the ars goetia is more straightforward and probably more helpful.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I have never seen any of this poo poo get implemented to the letter because as soon as the consultants gently caress off management start cutting out the bits they personally don’t like and wedging in things they’d rather see instead, resulting in a shitshow that satisfies nobody.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

scrumlords wanking each other into submission and no discernible improvement to anything
Sounds like grammar school rugby culture.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Honestly I have only seen this management stuff by other people referencing it and I feel like the ars goetia is more straightforward and probably more helpful.
Belial is a King of Hell with the 3 Pillars of Kaizen under his command. He was created as the first, after Lucifer. He distributes knowledge of 5S workshops.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think people would mind business consultants a lot less if they didn't charge the average worker's annual salary for a day's wandering round going "that seems a bit inefficient."

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

I have never seen any of this poo poo get implemented to the letter because as soon as the consultants gently caress off management start cutting out the bits they personally don’t like and wedging in things they’d rather see instead, resulting in a shitshow that satisfies nobody.

Yep. Six sigma shows a particular group of operatives are operating at 3 sigma which is pretty darn good for a manual, human operation.

meaning: "3 Sigma: 99.73% of the process output meets customer requirements" yet management stick to their original prejudices that a particular group of operatives are cause of most of the problems on the railways.

Six sigma black belt informs both the c-suite & the operatives that they are in fact high performing despite everything. Operatives get a few minutes glow from once in a lifetime acknowledgement.

C-suite won't change opinion (because that would admit to factors way beyond control of the operatives working within the system they have & much higher level change, ie seeking a simple solution to a complex problem that will take years to solve & won't look good on a c-suite cv).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Going to suggest the theory of "agile marxism" where if the management doesn't actually do what the line workers say the line workers throw them out of windows until the issue is resolved.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Agile Marxism is writing letters to your friend asking for more money when you're running out, not after you have run out.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/sep/27/gb-news-suspends-dan-wootton-after-laurence-foxs-remarks-on-show

Always good when your "news" channel IS the news rather than reporting it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Agile Marxism is writing letters to your friend asking for more money when you're running out, not after you have run out.

"Dear Friedrich, I am afraid I am necessarily in need of your sponsorship once more, for this pub crawl is going to exhaust my finances."

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

interesting that this is the thing that crosses the line for them

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So is Dan Wootan going to say the same thing after all the sex pest stuff came out, but Ctrl + F "boyfriend" and replace it with "GB News."

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It would be nice if the floodgates open re: Wootton and all his poo poo is finally reported on by the media. But for now, lol and lmao that he's finally suspended, and lmao that Fox himself dropped Wootton in the poo poo like that. :allears:

It's been a good day.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Wanted to remind myself of the origin of "No, to the contrary" which is one of those fun little sentence fragments that has embedded itself in my psyche:

https://twitter.com/MichaelPDeacon/status/1039472978126417920

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

interesting that this is the thing that crosses the line for them

Unlike most of the stuff they do, this is something Ofcom can go after them for, using a communication channel to attack a private citizen for their appearance and sex life.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tesseraction posted:

Unlike most of the stuff they do, this is something Ofcom can go after them for, using a communication channel to attack a private citizen for their appearance and sex life.

That's the reason why GBNews suspended him and issued a statement so quickly. At the very least this is going to mean a sizeable fine, which someone is going to have to agree to cover as the channel is running at a loss.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

Buy a rice cooker and a big bag of rice.
You can get 10KG plus bags of rice from Asian markets and you can make a lot of very good meals for cheap using rice. (I like doing stir fried rice mixes and Sushi bowls, which are all quick dinners that can be made very health very easily and also can keep in the fridge for a day or two without freezing.)

Personally I recommend that if you are going down this route to buy a good quality rice cooker as it'll make it very easy to schedule or batch cook rice and also makes cooking rice really simple* as opposed to the hundreds of variants to the answer as to "how exactly do you cook rice."

*= With a good rice cooker, it is literally just "measure out the amount of rice you want, pour in the right amount of water, press button and walk away."

If you have cooked a large batch of rice then don't leave it in the cooker all day or overnight at a wonderful bacteria amenable temperature, eat what you need and get the rest in the fridge asap. :)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

this means the framework is being tailored to local needs, op

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1707028825446494407
https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1707027389065179253

:allears:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's so funny watching Fox try to drag down anyone he can with him while GB News is having to frantically put on their concerned faces.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

julia hartler brewer: russel brand has never done anything wrong in his life, also lawrence fox is out of order.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Just Another Lurker posted:

If you have cooked a large batch of rice then don't leave it in the cooker all day or overnight at a wonderful bacteria amenable temperature, eat what you need and get the rest in the fridge asap. :)

Got a rice cooker already, problem is it takes longer than the carbs we usually use and, as we found out, can store so badly it can cause blindness.

Always noodles tbh.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/connolly_lg/status/1401983697411350531?s=20

It really is coming true.