Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Pokémon type?
This poll is closed.
Plain 6 3.17%
Hot 7 3.70%
Wet 15 7.94%
Green 11 5.82%
Shocking 2 1.06%
Cold 3 1.59%
Punchy 7 3.70%
Poisonous 4 2.12%
Brown 7 3.70%
Bird 11 5.82%
Weird 17 8.99%
Gross 11 5.82%
Solid 2 1.06%
Scary 8 4.23%
Dragon 5 2.65%
Creepy 18 9.52%
Mech 33 17.46%
Pink 22 11.64%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

nachos posted:

TOTK was great but I think there was about a couple weeks or so before a ton of attention grabbing games came out like SF6, Diablo 4, FF16, Pikmin 4, BG3, Armored core 6, Lies of P, Cyberpunk 2.0 oh god the list is endless. Takes a lot of discipline to stick to a long sandbox game during the last 2 months of releases. For better or worse, a traditional more linear Zelda probably could have been completed before all that poo poo came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M0jm-cwZeo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I expected Age of Wonders 4 to be on some GOTY lists but I haven't played it since May and I tried going back to it yesterday and wait a minute, everyone hates it now and it has Mixed recent reviews on Steam?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Back in May people were already declaring it GOTY so I guess this year has really been that good.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nobody bought games for the wii.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ethanol posted:

hosed up totk isnt on these lists tbh

I have not played it :twisted:

I might get round to finally doing BotW this year though. Maybe it will appear. Got some stiff competition though... including Link to the Past and Twilight Princess and numerous other classics.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'm ready for cyberpunk Zelda.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gonna be fun to point and laugh at people who still have Wizard Game on their lists come December

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

External Organs posted:

botw had a post apocalyptic vibe which was pretty neat -- it's clear in ToTK everyone is rebuilding, which is also interesting but some people love that post apocalypse stuff

Patrolling Death Mountain almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Waffleman_ posted:

Gonna be fun to point and laugh at people who still have Wizard Game on their lists come December

Wizard with a Gun?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

was wizard game this year?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Immortals of Aveum???

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Please, I want to play Wizard Game...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Motto posted:

Zelda almost certainly won't go back to the old style because in changing the series went right from SS' 4M copies on Wii to BotW's 30M. I'm not a weirdo who thinks the series was ever remotely struggling, but BotW/TotK genuinely overshadow the entire rest of the franchise.

You're not wrong, and its just super disappointing.

I guess I'll just have to resign myself to replaying OoT, TP, and the Oracle games.

I do recall a rumor of a potential remake of OoA and OoS in the style of the Link's Awakening remake. I wonder if there was any truth to that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Just watched some speedruns to see all I never got to, and it's a lot but also I would've never survived most of it. I wanna say I got to the first babyest ending but I'm not sure, could just be memories of previous games.

I aborted my YouTube watching though because some guy going for this challenge run or whatever was babbling and I caught part of his speal about drinking olive oil because he gets way more calories from it than meals that take longer to prepare, and if it took longer to prepare than chugging olive oil he said he was too lazy to do it.

Sounds like that guy is living his best life!

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Hopefully someday we get a 2d Zelda that revives and invigorates the franchise as much as Dread and Wonder.

External Organs posted:

I'm ready for cyberpunk Zelda.

A Link to the Future

Edit: obviously revives the 2d side of things, the 3d is fine and dandy.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Annath posted:

I don't go to Zelda games for wacky physics hijinks, weapon durability, and janky crafting.

I like Zelda games for fairly lengthy, puzzle filled dungeons that make use of a series of new tools to work through them.

I don't need, or want, a big open world beyond what was portrayed in OoT or TP.

Again, I'm not saying people who liked BotW and TotK are wrong, but both games basically failed to check every single "what I like about Zelda games" box.

My hope is that their next game will be a return to the classic style, but I'm honestly worried that the success of these latest 2 games is going to cause Nintendo to lean into that style.

Given how their 3DS entries remained the traditional style I think Nintendo recognizes that there is audience still there for that style of gameplay--not sure their exact plan but they'd be crazy to abandon the top down approach entirely.

I also loved Link's Awakening, both versions, so I'll still be there too if they keep making stuff like it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

External Organs posted:

Wizard with a Gun?

The Wizards who were fighting Jewish stereotypes

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

did anyone ever have that on their lists

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

The Wizards who were fighting Jewish stereotypes

drat I memory holed this one

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

did anyone ever have that on their lists

I saw some people deluding themselves at the time that it was gonna be the biggest release of the year. Certainly enough streamers torpedoed their reputation over it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Shinjobi posted:

Given how their 3DS entries remained the traditional style I think Nintendo recognizes that there is audience still there for that style of gameplay--not sure their exact plan but they'd be crazy to abandon the top down approach entirely.

I also loved Link's Awakening, both versions, so I'll still be there too if they keep making stuff like it.

I should note that when I say classic Zelda, I'm not talking exclusively about the 2D games - I'm talking about the game design prior to Breath of the Wild. The games that had diverse and complex dungeons, a variety of key items used in puzzle solving, and a lively and colorful world.

I bought BotW day one, and it just came across as bland - soulless and largely empty (to me). There are a billion little shrines, but they're not at all satisfying (to me) like the proper dungeons were. The Divine Beasts were closer, but still not what I want from Zelda.

My favorite Zelda games are:

1. Link's Awakening
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Wind Waker
4. Oracle of Seasons/Ages
5. Twilight Princess

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They already made a thousand “go to seven dungeons in order” zelda games and it’s good that nintendo chose to experiment with a new direction instead of making the thousand and first game of the same formula. TOTK is more iterative on that framework than something else completely different, but I think they had a lot more ideas left to explore in the BOTW framework than the old one.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

The depths + various ways of lighting it seems like an oldschool Zelda dungeon mechanic writ large

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If I want a big open world with dungeons I'll just play Elden Ring

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hope the next Zelda is set in a different time than "medieval kingdom built on ruins of medieval kingdom built on ruins of medieval kingdom"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1707079161012179259?t=KOrcyfQ8u1F_lA1ig0cDtA&s=19

This is like her fifth origin story

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
hogwarts is still the best selling game of the year (in the us anyway), btw

https://twitter.com/MatPiscatella/status/1702685057658524135

(BG3 isn't tracked)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You might as well do a new IP.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Owl Inspector posted:

They already made a thousand “go to seven dungeons in order” zelda games and it’s good that nintendo chose to experiment with a new direction instead of making the thousand and first game of the same formula. TOTK is more iterative on that framework than something else completely different, but I think they had a lot more ideas left to explore in the BOTW framework than the old one.

I disagree, but that's on me.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Perhaps this time she will finally become the tomb raider

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’re getting another attempt at a Devil May Cry series too:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MZXy5P4Pqz4

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lmao this is actually a follow up to the recent trilogy and not a new story so she's still not the loving Tomb Raider

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CVG posted:

I have not played it :twisted:

I might get round to finally doing Octopath Traveller II this year though. Maybe it will appear. Got some stiff competition though... including FFX-2 and Xenogears and numerous other classics.

:hai:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Lmao this is actually a follow up to the recent trilogy and not a new story so she's still not the loving Tomb Raider

Wait, there’s been animated Tomb Raider stuff before? Was it any good?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Larryb posted:

Wait, there’s been animated Tomb Raider stuff before? Was it any good?

they mean it's a followup to the game trilogy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No, the game trilogy that was three origin stories in a row.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Rinkles posted:

(BG3 isn't tracked)

BG3 vastly outsold Hogwart's on Steam (10-20 million copies of Hogwart's, 20-50 million BG3) so unless console numbers are vastly different I don't think it's fair to say Hogwart's is the best selling game of the year

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The pre-origin, the early middle origin, the late middle origin, and the new, animated, initial final chapter in book 1 of the origin story of the Tomb Raider.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I thought you raided a ton of tombs in the third one.

My friend worked on those games so I will always have a soft spot for them.

He also worked on Avengers but that poo poo was a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rinkles posted:

https://twitter.com/MatPiscatella/status/1702685057658524135

(BG3 isn't tracked)

It's real wild that last year's Call of Duty is on the top 5 for this year so far. Just goes to show how despite a lot of grumbling by the playerbase, those games are still popular as all hell.