Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Didn't Erdogan almost get shot down by an f-16?

What, does he want one to hit with a sledgehammer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

wet_goods posted:

Weren’t they trying to get f35s originally? Seems like a compromise position.

Turkey wanted to buy Russian S-400 systems and the F-35 (and depot location) deal fell through.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

This seems like a….reasonable compromise?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Alan Smithee posted:

This seems like a….reasonable compromise?

Considering that Turkey already has F-16's as far as I can tell, it does indeed seem to strike a pretty good compromise between making a strategic ally happy and not allowing said strategic ally to send the latest and greatest off to Russia for reverse-engineering.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PurpleXVI posted:

Considering that Turkey already has F-16's as far as I can tell, it does indeed seem to strike a pretty good compromise between making a strategic ally happy and not allowing said strategic ally to send the latest and greatest off to Russia for reverse-engineering.

243 currently if Wikipedia is accurate.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Are we sure they aren't misreporting F-16 for F-35? Cant imagine anyone stopping erdogan from buying more vipes

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Xakura posted:

Are we sure they aren't misreporting F-16 for F-35? Cant imagine anyone stopping erdogan from buying more vipes

When Turkey was booted from the F-35 program, it was not recouped $1.4 billion already paid to JSF development. Congress has floated blocking all new F-16 purchases and older F-16 upgrades for Turkey until after Sweden is in.

Turkey appears to be saying they want a resolution of this on paper before they vote Sweden in.

As an added wrinkle Senator Menendez (D-NJ) has said he would hold up F-16 sales to Turkey until issues of Turkish aggression against its neighbors is addressed, in reference to Greece and Cyprus disputes. Senator Menendez is also recently in the news for having $400k in gold bars, stashes of cash in his closet, etc.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

mlmp08 posted:

When Turkey was booted from the F-35 program, it was not recouped $1.4 billion already paid to JSF development. Congress has floated blocking all new F-16 purchases and older F-16 upgrades for Turkey until after Sweden is in.

Turkey appears to be saying they want a resolution of this on paper before they vote Sweden in.

As an added wrinkle Senator Menendez (D-NJ) has said he would hold up F-16 sales to Turkey until issues of Turkish aggression against its neighbors is addressed, in reference to Greece and Cyprus disputes. Senator Menendez is also recently in the news for having $400k in gold bars, stashes of cash in his closet, etc.

I see, ty

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Michael Flynn; “president erdogan you want me to sneak MORE gold into menendez’s jacket?”

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mlmp08 posted:

Menendez got the gold from Egypt right? Not sure who within Egypt but they got home with gold after a trip there. I wonder what connections that had if any to this.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Where oh where is a good counterbattery barrage when it's needed the most?

https://twitter.com/jacksonhinklle/status/1705972981418152064?t=J8sVF77Zbb6f9IE99wjwBg&s=19

"THAT WAS A RECOIL 😁"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That Works posted:

Menendez got the gold from Egypt right? Not sure who within Egypt but they got home with gold after a trip there. I wonder what connections that had if any to this.

He just looted a tomb okay?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

cr0y posted:

"THAT WAS A RECOIL 😁"

"That was a big one", no?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tunicate posted:

He just looted a tomb okay?

lmao new jersey gonna get hit with a plague like some mummy's curse poo poo

That Works fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 26, 2023

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

cr0y posted:

"THAT WAS A RECOIL 😁"

Is that like the arty equivalent of loading a shell with a primer and nothing else?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

That Works posted:

Would one be able to tell though?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

Good point

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

“RUUUN THE GABBA-GHOULS ARE COMING!!!!”

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

That Works posted:

The curse of the pharaoh Castro

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

not caring here posted:

Is that like the arty equivalent of loading a shell with a primer and nothing else?

Yeah, training ammunition generally makes the gun recoil so the team can get experience with the system as it would work in real life. Unless they make training duds to simulate a misfire or something...

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

"That was a big one", no?

You are right, he said that, which is even funnier.

To be clear I'm a citizen computer toucher and I have never served (thank you all🫡) and even I know that that thing is not loaded and that is not a proper artillery recoil lol.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

not caring here posted:

bro I think a 9mm might have more gunpowder

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

mlmp08 posted:

lmao, wait, so Senator "these aren't bribes, they're my emotional support cash" Menendez is indirectly responsible for Sweden not being in NATO yet? What a wild maniac.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

That's a nice diplomatic arrangement ya got there. Would be a shame if something were to happen to it. BTW did I mention I'm under indictment? You know what to do, Joe.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

GD_American posted:

This is notably above the average number of Russian asylum seekers we see in this office, which is, uh, zero (at least since I started there in 2015)

What's the reason for claiming asylum? Do we accept conscientious objectors, or is it more "well I protested and I can't avoid windows forever"?

GD_American posted:

I'm guessing by their youth (20s-30s) and somewhat passable English, a mix of capital flight and idealism.

Oh right I forgot that "I have lots of money and brought it with me" is a reason

mlmp08 posted:

Upon Menendez's arrest, I was not expecting to learn that my Greek mother-in-law who can barely use a computer not only knows what an F-16 is but has strong opinions on who should and should not have them. 2020s continue to surprise.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Saul Kain posted:

I want my....
I miss my....
I want my VDV(eeeee)....

Money for Dacha

I want my....
I miss my....
I want my VDV(eeeee)...

(Fade out)

That little Prigin got his own jet airplane
That little Prigin's falling through the air

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

That little Prigin got his own jet airplane
That little Prigin's falling through the air

Loooool

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

cr0y posted:

"THAT WAS A RECOIL 😁"
Lol, it didn't even move a fraction of an inch

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Friends just give friends gold bars! And keeping hundreds of thousands in cash stashed around the house is just a celebration of immigrant culture!

Hajotus Maximus
Feb 19, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Where oh where is a good counterbattery barrage when it's needed the most?

https://twitter.com/jacksonhinklle/status/1705972981418152064?t=J8sVF77Zbb6f9IE99wjwBg&s=19

If someone sold me a chance to fire a howitzer and that would be the actual firing , I would consider that to be an insult worthy of a stabbing. As in , "Give me the real thing or I stab you". Dude's being made to look like an absolute fool and he's liking it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1706893029771022424?s=20

Content: Short video of Russian inspecting newly-arrived tank shells... that appear to be lacking the things you would want to find inside tank shells, like the parts that make the target regret their day.

quote:

Russian army received fresh tank ammunition, but there is one BUT - they weren't filled with explosive.

"We fired, but they didn't explode. We started looking for reason and found that they are empty. We received doosens of such munition."

Content warning: This video is perfectly inoffensive but some other videos posted by that account are pretty graphic recordings of horrible things happening to Russian soldiers, some or all of which you may not want to see.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Get your money for dacha and your duds for free.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

psydude posted:

Get your money for dacha and your duds for free.

we got to move these cargo 200s
new zinc coffin deliveries
we got to steal these Ukrainian toilets
we got to move thes- [HIMARS noises]

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

The amazing part is how the filling is absolutely the cheapest part of that shell. Even the fuze costs more.

I do not understand how this happened, do they actually have a shortage of explosives? I would expect China to sell them as much as they need.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Tuna-Fish posted:

The amazing part is how the filling is absolutely the cheapest part of that shell. Even the fuze costs more.

I do not understand how this happened, do they actually have a shortage of explosives? I would expect China to sell them as much as they need.

I imagine its more of a lax QA/rushed production issue than a cost issue

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Tuna-Fish posted:

I'm not going to read too much into it unless it starts happening on a larger scale. They probably drafted the guy who usually fills the shells with TNT or something, and the intern they replaced him with was too busy looking at tiktok to push the button at the right time and hosed up one batch of shells.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Xakura posted:

Or maybe these are the north Korean shells.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Yuri on the packing station doesn't get paid to and doesn't know how to check if they're full of boom, his job is to check whether Petrov initialled the line on the shop tag that says he did.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

On the bright side, the loader has a much easier time with these shells. We got our last mission away in no time flat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Xakura posted:

Heating element in the filler melter failed but by god they have a shell quota to meet.