Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

manero posted:

Someone even asked if they'd fix the thing where the entire game has to restart when you go out to the menu, and he was pretty much like "yeah that's not gonna happen"

pretty sure they already ruled that out years ago lol

eu4 feels to me like it's hitting the same spot in its life cycle as ck2 did where the dlcs add more bloat than anything else and i stop buying them and wait for the new game. anbennar adds enough new content for free to keep me interested anyway

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Mr. Grinch posted:

Im talking out of my rear end here but I would assume the thought process is that if they release a DLC only feature that is also specific to one nation, and they implement it horribly or its unbalanced/unfun, then the damage is limited to whoever is buying that DLC AND playing that nation.

Yeah,just as I said earlier. I don't see it as a problem cause EU4 already is the most complex strategy game out there (I'm not saying difficult or deep, just complex in a sense of having so much stuff) and it's a very good idea to limit the bloat instead of adding another mechanic that will demand your mental power and also devalues other mechanics by making getting some values easier, and thus requiring total rebalance of everything if done properly.

Some rare formable having weird mechanics is totally fine.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

manero posted:

I was just reading a Q&A thread with PDX devs, and Johan made it sounds like EUIV is extremely on life support these days. They are specifically building stuff that avoids major system or engine work. Someone even asked if they'd fix the thing where the entire game has to restart when you go out to the menu, and he was pretty much like "yeah that's not gonna happen"
Didn't they add that restart thing because the game bugs out weirdly if you don't restart? For example way back you had to restart if you wanted to load a save to avoid the game getting all wonky. :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Countries with lots of unique stuff is fun and I welcome it, even if 'spheres of influence' is an odd choice to be non-universal

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wafflecopper posted:

pretty sure they already ruled that out years ago lol

eu4 feels to me like it's hitting the same spot in its life cycle as ck2 did where the dlcs add more bloat than anything else and i stop buying them and wait for the new game. anbennar adds enough new content for free to keep me interested anyway

One can only hope that EUIV gets a last DLC as good as CK2's last DLC.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I get the points that people are making about bloat and development resources, but they seem like they're an argument in favor of introducing this stuff through the existing mechanics the way id prefer rather than by creating new mechanics as they are.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Well you're right here, but you can't just sell art, event, reform, mission pack because people would cry they can get all of this from mods (which is bullshit cause very few mods have consistent quality content). So they feel the need to add those buttons and interactions.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

are there any mods that change the date format to DD/MM/YYYY? i'm sick of having to translate when buffs and cooldowns run out. searching date in the workshop just gets me a bunch of end date mods

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/europa-universalis-iv-development-diary-19th-of-september-2023-the-mamluks.1599461/

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like it. Mamluks feel like one of the countries deserving of a big mission tree and it was always weird how generic they were

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Wafflecopper posted:

are there any mods that change the date format to DD/MM/YYYY? i'm sick of having to translate when buffs and cooldowns run out. searching date in the workshop just gets me a bunch of end date mods

Uh

Its already they format in mine. Paradox isnt from North America.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Uh

Its already they format in mine. Paradox isnt from North America.

The format in tooltips is generally DD (Month written out) YYYY. So e.g. 15 July 1560. I guess that might be annoying , especially if your English isn't great?

Anyway if that's the problem, Anbennar has
code:
l_english:
 April:0 "Silversight(4)"
 August:0 "Yshdament(8)"
 December:0 "Truefrost(12)"
 February:0 "Esmarment(2)"
 Friday:0 "Faladay(5)"
 January:0 "Castanmark(1)"
 July:0 "Teysuren(7)"
 June:0 "Suren(6)"
 March:0 "Bloomsdawn(3)"
 May:0 "Halament(5)"
 Monday:0 "Newday(1)"
 November:0 "Nerament(11)"
 October:0 "Tearfall(10)"
 Saturday:0 "Cedesday(6)"
 September:0 "Bloomsend(9)"
 Sunday:0 "Sorrowday(7)"
 Thursday:0 "Akursday(4)"
 Tuesday:0 "Intirsday(2)"
 Wednesday:0 "Middlesday(3)"
in localisation/core_l_english.yml. So you should be able to just make a mod with that except with just the numbers (and probably don't bother with the weekdays, no idea where that even comes up). Or e.g. .5. if you want the dates to be DD .MM. YYYY, not sure if you can really get rid of the spaces.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Staltran posted:

The format in tooltips is generally DD (Month written out) YYYY. So e.g. 15 July 1560.

Yeah, it's this in most places, but I've definitely seen this rear end backwards YYYY/MM/DD or YYYY/DD/MM (I can never remember which it is) in some places. Of course, now that I fire the game up I can't actually find any of them except in the launcher, but it's come up often enough to annoy me into making a post about it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah, it's this in most places, but I've definitely seen this rear end backwards YYYY/MM/DD or YYYY/DD/MM (I can never remember which it is) in some places. Of course, now that I fire the game up I can't actually find any of them except in the launcher, but it's come up often enough to annoy me into making a post about it.

Outside of EU4, when year is required in the date, I put it YYYY/MM/DD because the US's hosed up way of doing MM/DD/YYYY where the rest of the world does the sane DD/MM/YYYY.

I am not surprised that it is done differently in different places for EU4, a not complicated or convoluted game.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Tbh YYYY/MM/DD is fine, though consistency would be nice. If there's MM/DD/YYYY then that's definitely a problem, but I don't remember ever seeing that.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
YYYY-MM-DD is the ISO date format standard, so it tends to crop up when string locales end up in some default. It's unlikely that PDS would intentionally use the US's extremely confusing MM/DD/YYYY format, but it may well appear in localized strings if you're in the US.

It's not surprising that the games don't have a consistent locale for UI vs save games vs other things because locales are a goddamn pain.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am annoyed that forming Rm requires owning Constantinople and the Byzantines be dead. Neither were required for the original Sultanate to form!

And there are no other formables in that area, meanwhile Africa has a million.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Rum's really good, though. You can always just release Byz after forming it if you want to feed them their cores.

Anyway, hovering over resume in the launcher gives me the file date in DD/MM/YYYY, so it's probably a localisation problem.

e: on Windows 10 you can set your "regional format data" in the Time & Language settings (search for region settings).

Staltran fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 20, 2023

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Staltran posted:

Anyway, hovering over resume in the launcher gives me the file date in DD/MM/YYYY, so it's probably a localisation problem.

e: on Windows 10 you can set your "regional format data" in the Time & Language settings (search for region settings).

Huh, that's weird. It would certainly suggest localisation as you say but I had a look in my regional settings and afaict it's all set for DD/MM/YYYY. Oh well, thanks anyway

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Staltran posted:

Rum's really good, though. You can always just release Byz after forming it if you want to feed them their cores.
I'm bellyaching because a friend is Byz and the strict requirements are getting in the way of fun.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Byzantines and turks not working as a co-op campaign seems WAD tbh

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm bellyaching because a friend is Byz and the strict requirements are getting in the way of fun.

take it in a war and sell it back

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Kild posted:

take it in a war and sell it back

You don't just need Constantinople, Byz needs to not exist.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You should probably just mod it in that case.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Staltran posted:

You don't just need Constantinople, Byz needs to not exist.

You should probably just mod it in that case.

D'oh reading comprehension.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
What's the best way to spawn the Global Trade institution as a major Indian power? I love playing Punjab/Rajastan/Mughals, but I don't know enough about trade to manage that.

Do I just need to head west for a better bottleneck, or can I get enough all pushing to gujarat or south india, or even persia?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Wouldn't it be better to head east instead of west? The real wealth is in Indonesia

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
You need to get all (or as much as possible) to one node, though. A bunch of the Indonesian trade will probably be bled off toward the cape by the euros unless you do something about it. But the same applies to Coromandel. You could try Malacca-Bengal-Doab-Deccan-Gujarat (with Coromandel-Gujarat), maybe? Conquering the Cape and directing trade there might also work if you can pull it off, but you might need to also get at least some control over the Ivory Coast to prevent trade being steered there (or at least limit the amount). I'd also suggest Hormuz as an option, but the trade would pass through Gujarat anyway, so that wouldn't help much. Gujarat is a bit awkward since it feeds into three nodes, but I'm not sure what would be better without significant expansion into Africa.

...But, honestly, spawning Global Trade isn't that important. It will spread to level 3 CoTs in a few years anyway. The birthplace bonus is +10% trade power in the province, which is basically nothing.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Dev diary about changes to Byz: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/europa-universalis-iv-development-diary-26th-of-september-2023-byzantium.1600100/

A lot of fun changes, really killed off all the meta starts for Otto war.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
-75% fort assault ability and +200% ship building time is very funny

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I like that Byzantium is going to be an actual challenge but it feels really forced to do it by singling out the winning strategy and adding specific modifiers to make them impossible. Why not just make the Ottoman AI build more boats? I didn't even know that "assault fort ability" was a modifier that existed, I can't think of anywhere else that it's used. Also somebody on the forums suggested that these maluses would make more sense as a unique disaster than as estate privileges, which I agree with.

And I really don't think we needed yet another unique subject type.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I like that Byzantium is going to be an actual challenge but it feels really forced to do it by singling out the winning strategy and adding specific modifiers to make them impossible. Why not just make the Ottoman AI build more boats? I didn't even know that "assault fort ability" was a modifier that existed, I can't think of anywhere else that it's used. Also somebody on the forums suggested that these maluses would make more sense as a unique disaster than as estate privileges, which I agree with.

And I really don't think we needed yet another unique subject type.
Yeah, the Byzantine state was in absolutely dire straits: between dynastic infighting, Constantinople being impoverished, the Venetians and Genoese having a stranglehold on the Empire's shipping , and trade, the Ottomans controlling the strait, unrest resulting from the Council of Florence, etc. etc. its ability to do, well, anything was severely constrained and diminished.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

EUIV should start at 1453 or w/e so we dont have to deal with Byz cringe tbh. :unsmigghh:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Ah well, at least all the YouTube guide makers can get another video out

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I didn't even know that "assault fort ability" was a modifier that existed, I can't think of anywhere else that it's used.

It's on Tercios off the top of my head.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Kild posted:

It's on Tercios off the top of my head.
Janissaries as well IIRC. Probably a couple other special units as well, but the wiki is down for maintenance right now so I can't really check.

E: Yeah, according to the wiki Janissaries are the only special units that get that modifier.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 28, 2023

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I really don't think we needed yet another unique subject type.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

lamentable dustman posted:

Dev diary about changes to Byz: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/europa-universalis-iv-development-diary-26th-of-september-2023-byzantium.1600100/

A lot of fun changes, really killed off all the meta starts for Otto war.

Eh. Unless they come out with some new achievement that requires you start as Byz, I'll just cheese the start. (Did Basileus years ago.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Simplest way: Start as Otto, kill Byz, ruin nation and release all vassals, finally release and play as Byz. Yeah you lose the Empire rank and get some random-rear end dynasty but in exchange you get a fun fractured region to play in. For extra perversity, convert their cores to Sunni first so you release Sunni Byzantium (go for the Caliphate).

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
I just picked up this game finally after playing 100s of hours of ck2/3, Stellaris, vic3, and hoi4. I went ahead and did the subscription for the dlc but I was wondering if anyone knew a good video to watch to get me up to speed on the need to knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

yorkinshire posted:

I just picked up this game finally after playing 100s of hours of ck2/3, Stellaris, vic3, and hoi4. I went ahead and did the subscription for the dlc but I was wondering if anyone knew a good video to watch to get me up to speed on the need to knows.

Yes, go onto youtube and look up "Barry Lyndon"