Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

drat this sucks. Hopefully it's a minor one and it resolves quickly or is amenable to surgery. As much as I've been enjoying this year's Five Star it's unfortunate to lose two top stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/WrestlePurists/status/1706625404960694673?t=BycG1mnE8ybmjGk3Ikci9Q&s=19

I have no idea what's going on here. Is she just gonna wander the indies? There was no mention of RevPro either. I know she probably has to keep details secret until after she's officially done but it would nice to know if she has something lined up. I wish her the best wherever she goes

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I'm not going to put any stock into Dave's stardom reporting. Either parroting whatever Rossy tells Fumi tells Dave or retelling random Sonny speculation from the Board

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Karate Gals EXPLODES~!
https://twitter.com/juria210/status/1706996514042826900

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

:negative:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

This will be a respectful match okay they're gonna come out of it a stronger team than ever :negative:

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

they are going to set eachother on fire and run eachother over with trucks

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ItohRespectArmy posted:

they are going to set eachother on fire and run eachother over with trucks

Good to hear TJPW working with DIE, Maki Itoh vs Toshiyuki Sakuda & Hikari Noa vs Takayuki Ueki too I hope

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm going to the Stardom New Blood show but don't know anything about the promotion. I'd appreciate some tips about what to look out for on the card, or if there's a good place to read up on Stardom, being pointed that way. Thank you!!

edit: Also I've never heard of this promotion, but I walked past its office yesterday.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 28, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

surf rock posted:

I'm going to the Stardom New Blood show but don't know anything about the promotion. I'd appreciate some tips about what to look out for on the card, or if there's a good place to read up on Stardom, being pointed that way. Thank you!!

edit: Also I've never heard of this promotion, but I walked past its office yesterday.

I'm not a Stardom watcher but

This guide is from 2022 but hasn't aged too badly https://www.reddit.com/r/stardomjoshi/comments/s1m4yt/a_beginners_guide_to_stardom_in_2022/.

As the name implies New Blood is mainly about putting Stardom's rookies through their paces, so the undercard might not have the work rate many associate with Stardom.

According to the card on wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardom_New_Blood_11, the matches I'd be most interested in (as a non-Stardom watcher) are the Nanae Takahashi vs. Mei Seira match (Nanae is a hard hitting legend) and Tam Nakano vs. Yuna Mizumori (Tam is a major star of Stardom and Yuna is a slice of beef who graduated from Gatoh Move/ChocoPro to move on to greener pastures and this is her elevation within Stardom).

The main should be amazing as well, a lot of great wrestlers in the mix there.

There's a reason why you haven't heard of LLPW-X they barely ever run

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 28, 2023

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah new blood shows are pretty self contained from stardom proper. Fez has it pretty much covered but Tam vs Yuna is also Yunas final chance to join Cosmic Angels, Tam’s stable. She used to be a big fatso and CA told her to lose weight and now she’s in shape but at the last new blood show they rejected her after her match with whoever it was, Saori I think.

The weight stuff isn’t really a part of the shows or anything if that type of thing is off putting lol, but it’s probably the only “story” on that show.

Nanae’s whole deal is injecting Passion into the young wrestlers and the rookies. Mei Seira isn’t really a rookie at all but she asked for the Passion match so I would expect some hard slaps and chops and loud yelling from Nanae, while Mei skitters around like a little weasel.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Oh yeah Utami was supposed to be in the tag title match but she’s hurt so it got changed to whatever it got changed to. That should be good too.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Huh, didn't know LLPW were still technically around. They started in the '90s as a spin-off from Japan Woman Prowrestling, which in turn basically came into existence because All Japan Women (AJW or ZenJo) had a mandatory retirement age for their wrestlers of 26. So these women spent their youth in the weird, awful world of pro-wrestling & then found themselves out of a job while still in their prime, which meant there was talent like Devil Masami & Itsuki Yamazaki to build a new promotion around. Eventually the original JWP died in '92 & LLPW came out of that. They seem to promote about 1 event a year & really just a booking office for Takako Inoue & Shinobu Kandori, who both still work a handful of times a year despite being in their 50s now.

As for Stardom, it's great. Although New Blood is something a little different. It's a mix of Stardom talent & some joshi freelancers, mainly focusing at giving their younger wrestlers experience, although don't take that to mean they aren't fun.

A good place to start is this short guide of who is in what faction from earlier this year. At a glance I'd say the major thing that has changed is that Saki Kashima is no longer in heel group Oedo Tai after losing a cage match, but is now a member of God's Eye.

Stardom New Blood 11
Shinagawa Intercity Hall, Tokyo
HANAKO vs Hina vs Kizuna Tanaka
Sexy Dynamite Princess vs Thekla vs Waka Tsukiyama
Lady C vs Ruaka
Mei Seira vs Nanae Takahashi
Tam Nakano vs Yuna Mizumori
Future of Stardom Title: Rina(c) vs Azusa Inaba
NEW BLOOD Tag Team Titles: Bloody Fate (KARMA & Starlight Kid)(c) vs 02line (AZM & Miyu Amasaki) vs wing gori (Hanan & Saya Iida)

The opening 2 matches are kind of throwaway, HANAKO debuted this year, Hina is 16 years old but has been wrestling since 2018 (same with her twin sister Rina), Kizuna Tanaka is from the group Pro Wrestling WAVE & is another 2023 debut. I haven't seen anything from her yet, though she's notable as a 2nd generation star (the daughter of former New Japan/journeyman Minoru Tanaka). Then you have Thekla who is Austrian but has been wrestling in Japan for 5 years in Ice Ribbon & now Stardom (she is friends with Giulia from their Ice Ribbon days), Waka Tsukiyama is quite green but brings a lot of enthusiasm, & rumours have it Sexy Dynamite Princess may be Mariah May under a mask, who has looked really good in Stardom this year but is sadly leaving soon.
Ruaks is another teenager who has been wrestling for year, I think she's improved quite a bit this year & fits in quite well with the heel group, bit of a power wrestler as well as often a bit of cheating. Lady C is older (a former teacher IIRC) but less experienced, starting during the pandemic.
Mei Seira used to wrestle as Mei Hoshizuki in Marvelous, trained by all-time great Chigusa Nagayo, but she vanished in 2021, only to turn up in Stardom this year with a new name. A really talented high flyer with a high ceiling as far as potential goes, while Nanae Takahashi is one of the founding members of Stardom (who left under a cloud only to return last year), a veteran hand who started with ZenJo way back in 1996, she used to have a great tag team with Kairi Sane. This is going to be a brutal vet vs rookie type match & Nanae is always great value for money in that kind of thing, definitely the match on the show I'm most into.
Tam Nakano is the top champion in Stardom, & the leader of COSMIC ANGELS, a kind of idol-y group, & Yuna Mizumori is a real-life idol who has been CA adjacent for a while. So this is labelled as a final assessment for Yunamon to stake her claim for a full membership. I don't expect Tam will hold back (she's kind of physically incapable of holding back).
Future of Stardom Title is a title that's been around since 2018, the gimmick is it can only fought for by wrestlers either under 20 years old or with less than 3 years of experience. This will be Rina's 4th defence, she's the twin of Rina & younger sister of Hanan, and a member of the heel group Oedo Tai. Azusa Inaba is somehow even younger than Rina at just 15, & only debuted this year, being trained by TAKA Michinoku. She is also a wrestling sister, as Tomoka Inaba is also a TAKA trainee, apart of the first class of his JTO dojo & both sisters have a karate influenced style, wear a gi, do kicks, that sort of thing.
NEW BLOOD Tag Titles were created for these New Blood shows, & KARMA & Starlight Kid are a good team together. SLK is one of the most exciting Stardom wrestlers, KARMA is Haruka Umesaki from the group Diana & is one of the more exciting young talents in the indy joshi scene. AZM (pronounced Azumi) is great, practically veteran already at just 20 having debuted with Stardom back in 2013 (her first year or so of matches were 3 minute exhibitions & she only wrestled about 35 times in her first 2 full years so it's not too crazy)! She's very fast & exciting, her tag partner here Amasaki is another relatively recent debuted, starting last year & already looking pretty solid, while wing gori are Hanan, another experienced hand despite her age, & Saya Iida, a pretty small powerhouse of a wrestler, only 4'9" but she'll suplex people around without a care.

I hope that helps a summary of the wrestlers on the show. Some I'm more familiar with than others obviously, I don't always watch every undercard match from Stardom though so I don't think I've actually seen HANAKO wrestle.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

HANAKO stinks but reps are reps

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Y'all own bones, thank you so much for the info! This'll be my last activity in Tokyo and this background info will help me make the most of it. :)

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Mini-manga about Wrestle Princess IV (just for Max's drawing).
https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1707321061325656264

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Five Star finals are this weekend! I assume this is a PPV but I can't figure out how to buy it so if anyone could post a link I'd appreciate it.

As for who's alive...

Red Stars

Natsuko Tora 12 (vs. Hazuki)
Suzu Suzuki 12 (no more matches)
Tam Nakano 11 (vs. Natsupoi)
Syuri 11 (vs. Ami Sohrei)

Natsuko is through if she wins.

Suzu is through if everyone else loses or if Natsuko and Syuri lose and Tam draws.

Tam is through if she wins and Natsuko loses.

Syuri is through if she wins or draws and Natsuko and Tam lose.

Blue Stars

MIRAI 10 (vs. Maika)
Maika 10 (vs. MIRAI)
Mina Shirakawa 9 (vs. Saori Anou)

MIRAI or Maika go through if they win.

Mina ties with Maika if she wins and Maika and MIRAI draw. I'm not sure if they'd do a playoff or if the finals would be a three way.

Giulia currently leads the block at 11 but she's out of matches and she loses tiebreakers to Maika and Mina so I don't think she can win unless Maika and MIRAI both get injured and Mina loses.

I think that covers it but I may have missed some things. I really have no idea who's going to win - I think Maika will probably come out of the blue block but the red is a mystery. Pulling for Suzu though it would be kind of lame for her to get to the finals with her last block match being a forfeit

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Five Star finals are this weekend! I assume this is a PPV but I can't figure out how to buy it so if anyone could post a link I'd appreciate it.

Doesn't look like the link is up yet. Sonny will tweet it out on the ENG account when it's available

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Maika is in the most do-or-die scenario in the blue block. It would be so good if she won

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Numero6 posted:

Mini-manga about Wrestle Princess IV (just for Max's drawing).
https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1707321061325656264

This rules :allears:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1707741011701862841

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

SLK is hurt. Probably wrestling tonight but who knows after

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Thanks! I got excited because I'm bad at time zones and thought it was 4am here which isn't too much to earlier than I usually get up, but it's actually 1 and that's less doable. I'll consider it though as I'm pretty excited for the finals.

Remind me, the replay stays up for a few days right? I think I paid for Dream Queendom but just watched it when I got up. (I guess it does say the "sales period" runs through Tuesday so that's probably what they mean).

It would be nice if people stopped getting hurt though. :smith:

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 29, 2023

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Mahiro, what the hell is this shirt?
https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1707734686666203416

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

yea ok posted:

SLK is hurt. Probably wrestling tonight but who knows after

Fuuuuck. This tournament is taking out all of my favourites.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Remind me, the replay stays up for a few days right? I think I paid for Dream Queendom but just watched it when I got up. (I guess it does say the "sales period" runs through Tuesday so that's probably what they mean).

Yeah you have a few days, then it'll just be put up on World

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

New Blood started pretty dire but ramped up over the course of the show. I did not expect more than 95% of the audience to be male; the gender ratio wasn't even for the DDT show last week but it was a lot closer.

I also couldn't tell what the story was with Sexy Dynamite Princess at the end when she lost her mask. My theory was that the mask possessed her with the power of sexiness, and so the other wrestler she gave the mask to after the match will take up the gimmick.

Anyway, it was a fun show; I was in the splash zone where we had to clear out multiple times so that wrestlers could get hurled through our chairs.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yea ok posted:

SLK is hurt. Probably wrestling tonight but

Nope

https://twitter.com/wwr_stardom/status/1707897099898228910

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
5 star final is on

Lovely match between Hanan and Mariah May. Good send off for Mariah May

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

surf rock posted:

New Blood started pretty dire but ramped up over the course of the show. I did not expect more than 95% of the audience to be male; the gender ratio wasn't even for the DDT show last week but it was a lot closer.

Why lol, its not 1993 anymore

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

AZM/Momo, Saori/Mina and MIRAI/Maika were all tremendous.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Maika v MIRAI went off

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Holy poo poo lol

What a finish

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
https://twitter.com/WhirlingAndy/status/1708046321649594528

The foreshadow.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

There were 2507 fans at the show. I have no context as to whether that's good or not but it sounds ok!

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
It's good in that it's the highest number of people that's been in that building.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Stall_19 posted:

It's good in that it's the highest number of people that's been in that building.

oh yeah? Do they have pro wrestling in that building often?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Crapple! posted:

oh yeah? Do they have pro wrestling in that building often?

Often enough. Stardom especially run it often. It was built for the Olympics so its a pretty new venue so all its gate records are post pandemic

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&view=results&arena=Yokohama+Budokan

They beat the old gate record set by evil v shingo a few weeks ago by 200 people

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Often enough. Stardom especially run it often. It was built for the Olympics so its a pretty new venue so all its gate records are post pandemic

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&view=results&arena=Yokohama+Budokan

They beat the old gate record set by evil v shingo a few weeks ago by 200 people

not bad. Although I assume NJPW will take the record back when they return with a main event that doesn't have Evil in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I was all excited to watch Wrestle Princess tonight, but apparently it's in a week??? :negative: