Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Idk it never really bothered me (and the 12 times were various ipads and iphones over years of being a customer).

I don't use a case on anything so it is what it is. I have no intention of immediately getting a $1200 phone and slipping it into some dorky case.

Just my take on it though idk why yall gettin heated or whatever is happening here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I don’t think anybody’s getting heated, try not to spike #13 into the ground over it

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Speaking of cases I'm still waiting for my FineWoven to get marred and gross. It's been a week since I opened it and touched it with my gross human digits

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why you need a case case, to protect your fragile and overpriced apple products.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It's weird, I get what you're saying but inflation has been so rough where I live that the amortized price is really no big deal.

I got a 15 pro max, which came with an $830 promo, so $370 plus tax amortized over 3 years of use, and my unlimited 5G plan with hotspot and a cell plan for my Ultra is all in, $47 a month.

Meanwhile It's hard to get out of a decent dinner with a drink or two, where I live, for $100 with the wife and I.

Money has no meaning in 2023 is my point. If I had to draw up a budget, phones constitute almost nothing versus the things that we get absolutely owned on constantly like energy prices, housing, etc etc etc forever

Like honestly if I was forced to use a case, I would probably just get something like the iphone SE. Right now it's a solved issue because I just don't bring my phone at all if I'm doing anything outdoorsey; I just bring airpods and my watch ultra and call it a day, no phone required. Don't get me wrong though, I get that people have jobs where that isn't possible, and in those cases, the whole thing makes more sense.

Or if I'll be in the ocean I don't bring anything, some (clowned on) people do insist on bringing their apple watch surfing though and it is real corny.

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 27, 2023

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Phones have always been overpriced and inflation just caught up finally

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Apple will introduce folding phones at $2500, and then eliminate all other models except the Pros. The Pros will be rebranded as the new SE and start at $1500.

Incredible Performance. Incredible Value. The iPhone SE 5.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

it's also that tech companies realize their hardware is just the gateway to get you into their subscription models and that's where the real money is. see also: video game companies still pricing consoles at $500 for the past 15 years but now they incentivize you pricing into the $20/month subscription.

the biggest pop at the iPhone reveal were the increased iCloud tiers, they know what they're doing, keeping phone prices more or less divorced from inflation.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
lol I knew I should have ordered backup screen protectors. Went on easy but a little squiggly piece of dust made it onto the middle of the screen right as I was applying it.

Next time I’m gonna run the shower for 15m before.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah with the shower trick I get them on 100% of the time without bubbles

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just spent the $50 and had them do it at the Apple Store. The got a little machine they stick the phone into that aligns the screen protector perfectly.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've personally never had much success with the shower trick, just a steady hand and working fast.

The glass style ones with guides are also markedly easier to install these days

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Macichne Leainig posted:

I've personally never had much success with the shower trick, just a steady hand and working fast.

The glass style ones with guides are also markedly easier to install these days

That’s what I used but the 4 seconds between getting the films off and pressed on was enough for my dusty rear end apartment to be like hereeee ya go.

Dog gone it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It helps to have a piece of tape on hand. I reapplied the same screen protector like four times, each time peeling off the protector and taping up some strand of dust. The glass protectors are rigid and fairly easy to reapply. Back then the plastic ones would get all bent out of shape.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I don’t think I’ve ever bought a glass screen protector that didn’t come with a microfiber cloth and some tape.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What actually shares the contact poster thing once you’ve created it? Is it just a phone call or NameDrop?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

What actually shares the contact poster thing once you’ve created it? Is it just a phone call or NameDrop?

I updated the pic in mine and everyone I texted with that day noted how my pic changes and overwrote the contact pic they already had for me.

But I believe you can touch tips with someone else to send your contact card over.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I updated the pic in mine and everyone I texted with that day noted how my pic changes and overwrote the contact pic they already had for me.

But I believe you can touch tips with someone else to send your contact card over.

Must be a combination of people not upgrading yet and not setting a card then. I haven’t seen any change.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
After using it for a few more days, I like the feel of the finewoven case, but I don't like the thickness and I REALLY don't like the lip it adds, especially at the bottom edge. Think I'm gonna take it off for a few days.

I don't hate the action button or even miss the mute switch, but I've pressed the action button instead of volume up or vice versa a bunch of times. Hopefully that's just a muscle memory thing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is there any way to make the camera remember your settings specifically for HEIF max? Seems weird that’s the only thing I have to manually switch on every time I open the camera when everything else allows a remember setting option

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone else find ‘macro mode’ confusing on the newer iPhone cameras? I’ve apparently taken a ton of photos in macro mode using the 1x setting in the camera app, but if you look at the EXIF data of the photos they are actually taken with the ultra wide camera and are only 12mp, and maybe cropped? These are usually photos of my dogs, so it must just be switching to macro mode automatically, but it’s a pretty big quality drop off from the main camera to the ultrawide.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The close subject detection isn't as snappy as one might want but macro seems pretty straightforward to me, if camera detects distance really short it turns on the flower. If distance not really short it's not.

But yes it uses the ultrawide lens for that and crops. The other lenses can't focus as closely.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

xzzy posted:

The close subject detection isn't as snappy as one might want but macro seems pretty straightforward to me, if camera detects distance really short it turns on the flower. If distance not really short it's not.

But yes it uses the ultrawide lens for that and crops. The other lenses can't focus as closely.

I guess I’d prefer if it said it was switching lenses and lit up the 0.5x indicator, but I guess they don’t want us thinking about photography that way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah the setting's intent is "We'll help you out with super close-up photos by switching to the ultrawide lens automatically so the focus is better and crop it to look the same."

If you turn it off it will remember.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Soul Glo posted:

it's also that tech companies realize their hardware is just the gateway to get you into their subscription models and that's where the real money is. see also: video game companies still pricing consoles at $500 for the past 15 years but now they incentivize you pricing into the $20/month subscription.

the biggest pop at the iPhone reveal were the increased iCloud tiers, they know what they're doing, keeping phone prices more or less divorced from inflation.

$20? They're up past $60/year just to play multiplayer games. Think PlayStation goes up to like $120 depending on the tier.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Blurb3947 posted:

$20? They're up past $60/year just to play multiplayer games. Think PlayStation goes up to like $120 depending on the tier.

I said per month

My GamePass Ultimate sub is $18.50~ a month.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

MarcusSA posted:

Authentication apps are the worst for that.

For me is always google and the Microsoft one.

I have to use Microsoft Authenticator for work so it's the one I'm always conscious about.
Had the backup option on and transferred to the new phone without an issue.

The only thing I had to do was register the new phone through my work system. I have my ipad set up as a backup just in case.

Steam authenticator is another one to remember when switching phones.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I might trade in my 13 pro for a 15. I've got a big hike coming up and the emergency SOS feature sounds good for that. What's the vibe out there like right now in terms of trade ins? Are they going like hotcakes?

How is the 15 in general? Is this "just another iphone" with a better camera, but also some more random crap no one asked for?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I might trade in my 13 pro for a 15. I've got a big hike coming up and the emergency SOS feature sounds good for that. What's the vibe out there like right now in terms of trade ins? Are they going like hotcakes?

How is the 15 in general? Is this "just another iphone" with a better camera, but also some more random crap no one asked for?

I went from base 12 to Pixel 7 to 15 Pro Max and I'm very happy with it. Experientially, it feels like just coming back to the 12 (albeit bigger) but with an even better camera than the Pixel had (which I've used for professional photography work). The 5x optical zoom and raw formats are great. Battery life has been incredible this week as well, even with "new phone" usage time. Log Prores video is very impressive as well. Kind of mind blowing how good the files are from this thing. The extra stuff (always on display, etc) I've turned off and not felt bothered by at all.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The regular 15?
The 12mp 2x digital zoom is good, but the 13 pro has a 3x telephoto.
Dynamic Island is great if you want an always visible timer while doing other stuff.
It has the most drop resistant glass, but i think the 13 pro has that too.
Can't do macro mode on a 15, that's still a Pro only feature :-/

It's the first non pro model i consider a definitive improvement over the iPhone 11: both cameras are better, the screen is better, the battery life is better, the notch is better, the looks are better, it's narrower, lighter, brighter.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 28, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

I don’t think anybody’s getting heated, try not to spike #13 into the ground over it

No one here is getting overheated, but apparently their phones are !

Also, I’ve installed a million screen protectors. screen protector best practices:

-make sure you know which side is up and down
-they always come with tape, have at ready
-if possible, have phone still sealed, then power on phone before removing seal
-immediately lineup and pop on screen protector. Key thing is if it’s powered on, you can manually align using the screen itself.
-if you get dust underneath, use fingernail and slowly pull up from top or bottom. You don’t usually have to take all the way off, just pop tape underneath and pull out dust.

If at all possible, time it to where you have fingernails. One of the worst parts of my retail phone job would be the day after I clipped my nails, applying screen protectors was awful those days. I literally timed clipping my nails to my days off if possible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

No one really trusts the satellite SOS yet, just fyi. I think it's eventually going to prove to be a powerful feature and there's certainly success stories out there but the limited battery life of a phone makes it a sketchy choice when the competition can stay running 5+ days on a single charge.

For giving emergency contact to the masses that gently caress up an ankle on a day hike it's great. For folks doing multiday backcountry trips you really gonna want one or more inreaches in the group. The phone can be a last resort of some kind.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Aphrodite posted:

Must be a combination of people not upgrading yet and not setting a card then. I haven’t seen any change.

They have to:
a. create their contact poster
b. have contact details sharing enabled
c. accept the sharing prompt if they have always ask turned on

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Has anyone had issues with adding glasses as part of Face ID? I keep trying to set it up and it complains that there’s something around my eyes that’s preventing it from recognizing it

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I wear glasses and setup faceid with them and it was not an issue. It hasn’t been that I recall back to the X

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah I set my 15 up with a new pair of glasses even, still working great for me :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

Has anyone had issues with adding glasses as part of Face ID? I keep trying to set it up and it complains that there’s something around my eyes that’s preventing it from recognizing it

I’ve never had an issue

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Thanks for convincing me to go the Pro route, Duckman. I really underestimated how much having ProMotion makes the phone feel smoother. Such a nice experience, especially when the dynamic island bobbles around too based on what im doing.

Also whats funny but probably not a surprise is how little I notice 5G speeds vs 4G. I never really understood the hype because 4G LTE was more than fast enough for whatever I had to do, but I remember all the advertisements about 5G being this whole new world. Did people actually get excited for that?

Another q, are there thin, fun colored magsafe cases for the 15PM that yall can recommend? My phone is white, so it should work with anything. Amazon shows me the usual generic stuff with a whole bunch of other brands like UBLOTO and AGNUS or whatever (why are these brand name so ridiculous?)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Keep in mind, just because you’re on a 5G signal doesn’t actually mean you’re actually using 5G. It’ll be in LTE until the phone thinks you need 5G, and only then use it. Unless you specifically select “5G on” instead of the default “5G auto.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
In my area I often find that I get faster and more reliable data speeds if I force it to LTE. I figure it's because less people are using it at this point.