Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

burnishedfume posted:

In fairness, they said a new replacement, and I don't think that word is any newer than Uncle Tom is.

biznatchio posted:

"Republican"

"House Republican" ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

jeeves posted:

We need a new "Uncle Tom" style term for a minority that chugs rich establishment dick for their own gain and then devotes their life to pulling up the ladder behind them.

Actually I guess "conservative justice/member of congress" is that minority term now.

"Uncle Thomas"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

There already is one, unfortunately. Two words, starts with "house".

I feel really stupid for not understanding what this is referring to. Is it really so bad that we need to play coy about it?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

KillHour posted:

I feel really stupid for not understanding what this is referring to. Is it really so bad that we need to play coy about it?

it was a term for a slave that had gained enough favor to live and work inside master's house.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

it was a term for a slave that had gained enough favor to live and work inside master's house.

Right okay as you were. I'm gonna be over here not touching or saying anything.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

KillHour posted:

It's presumably a reference to the fact that Southern slavers tended to divide their slave work into household slaves (responsible for domestic chores) and field slaves (responsible for agricultural work and other hard manual labor).

The two groups faced drastically different treatment, and were often kept fairly isolated from each other, so there wasn't always a ton of solidarity between them.

Household slaves generally had better basic living conditions (better food, clothes, housing), and spent their days with the slaveowner's family, so house slaves were more trusted and were more likely to develop some kind of personal relationship with the slaveowner (though that wasn't always a good thing for them). As a result, they were sometimes resented by the field slaves. If you see a layman using the phrase "house slave" (or one of several racist and offensive versions on that phrase) outside of a pure historical discussion, it's usually in reference to the somewhat unsavory reputation that developed as a result of that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

And probably a reference to a very famous Malcolm X speech
(TW: he says the n-word)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kf7fujM4ag

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Supremes told Alabama to gently caress off

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/26/politics/supreme-court-alabama-redistricting

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/FixTheCourt/status/1706682703276278058

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Oh we debating which racially loaded term to call a black man in this thread?

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023
I read that the SC will be considering petitions from several death penalty appeals for this coming term. As someone not familiar with U.S. law, are these largely restricted to procedural failings like withholding of evidence, or are there remaining/promising avenues to contest execution through (e.g.) the eighth amendment? Obviously unlikely to happen with the current court, but is there any pathway at all without bypassing stare decisis?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

I'm shocked Thomas and Alito didn't dissent.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

azflyboy posted:

I'm shocked Thomas and Alito didn't dissent.

I can understand it from the perspective of not wanting to dilute the court's authority. If you allow one state to flagrantly ignore the Supreme Court, then those dirty liberals might ignore the 2026 kill all immigrants decision.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Corambis posted:

I read that the SC will be considering petitions from several death penalty appeals for this coming term. As someone not familiar with U.S. law, are these largely restricted to procedural failings like withholding of evidence, or are there remaining/promising avenues to contest execution through (e.g.) the eighth amendment? Obviously unlikely to happen with the current court, but is there any pathway at all without bypassing stare decisis?

They already did it once.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This includes that guy in Alabama that Alabama failed to kill the first time and now they want to try and kill again?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

jeeves posted:

We need a new "Uncle Tom" style term for a minority that chugs rich establishment dick for their own gain and then devotes their life to pulling up the ladder behind them.

Actually I guess "conservative justice/member of congress" is that minority term now.

Every minority community already has their own words for this, and if you don't know one to sue then it's a sign you shouldn't be using it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Corambis posted:

Considering the death penalty is explicitly written into the constitution it doesn’t seem fruitful to argue the 8th amendment was intended to prevent it.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Corambis posted:

My state doesn't have the death penalty and I've never worked on a death penalty case, so take my views with a fistful of salt.

There's a few routes here.

A law that has the death penalty as a punishment might violate the 8th Amendment. The current rule is that the punishment has to be proportionate to the crime. "Proportionate to the crime" is decided based on the seriousness of the crime, looking at how other crimes are punished in that state and see if the death penalty here is wildly out of line, and looking at how other states punish similar crimes and see if this state is within some sort of reasonable bound of that. I would guess the statutes in question have already been litigated and upheld, though.

For an individual person to get the death penalty, the jury has to find there was some aggravating factor. Different states have different lists of these, but they're usually stuff like there was substantial planning, or the victim was particularly vulnerable. There can also be mitigating factors in a case and the jury has to weigh those so a given death penalty punishment might violate based on that.

The perpetrator might also have some characteristic that makes that makes them ineligible for the death penalty. Mental disability is one and I would assume the main one that could be argued about.

Method of execution has to not cause unnecessary pain. But afaik hanging is even still cool, so barring something really weird here we probably won't see that.

As for how promising any of these avenues are, I don't know the cases in question. My gut instinct is that the most fertile ground would be the aggravating factors question for death penalty cases, but I don't know that by any means.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Considering the death penalty is explicitly written into the constitution it doesn’t seem fruitful to argue the 8th amendment was intended to prevent it.

Where do you find it explicitly written?
If you're meaning the no "deprivation of life...without due process of law" implies general support for the death penalty with due process, I'm not sure I would read the 5th Amendment so broadly.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dopilsya posted:

Where do you find it explicitly written?
If you're meaning the no "deprivation of life...without due process of law" implies general support for the death penalty with due process, I'm not sure I would read the 5th Amendment so broadly.

“No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime” makes it pretty clear that the death penalty is contemplated.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Doesn't the text also explicitly mention death by hanging as a suitable punishment for a treason or some similar severe crime?

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Kalman posted:

“No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime” makes it pretty clear that the death penalty is contemplated.

Well fair enough, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of certain crimes requiring a death penalty. I'll retract.

eta: Treason only has some limits on punishments, it doesn't say anything is a good punishment for treason.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Even if one is an originalist or whatever [even though no jurist actually is and all who claim to be are cynical liars but w/e] the cruel and unusual standard is explicitly an evolving standard. It’s a pretty easy argument to make based on its near universal abolition by liberal democracies that capital punishment already is unusual. Of course the Court wouldn’t take that argument seriously, but if there were enough popular domestic sentiment against it, they could easily ban it.

Then again there isn’t even a majority of popular opposition to the death penalty even in many places where it’s banned.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Corambis posted:

One of the cases is about Robert Roberson, who was sentenced to death based on the discredited „shaken baby syndrome.“ All of the rest is taken from This article in The Guardian. Read it, it is good (and infuriating).

Basically, Roberson turned up in the ER with his comatose kid, who died. At that time there was a lot of hysteria about people shaking their baby, this leading to brain injuries and death. Roberson was immediately suspected for doing that, no proof was found, but he was convicted and sentenced to death anyway.

By now, „shaken baby syndrome“ has been largely disproven and is viewed as junk science. An appeals court in New Jersey has actually ruled that that is the case. In Ohio, another guy who was previously convicted based on SBS was released after a new trial, because SBS is junk science. A good number of other people have also been exonerated of a previous conviction due to SBS.

Unfortunately, Roberson is in Texas. And even though Texas has a law that is specifically aimed at overturning previous convictions based on junk science, exactly zero convictions have been overturned. Just last year, Texas executed Kosoul Chanthakoummane, who was convicted based on „hypnosis of a witness to obtain identification, bitemark analysis and a discredited form of DNA testimony.“

Roberson‘s execution was stayed in 2016, a new evidentiary hearing was done, numerous experts testified that SBS was junk science, but the trial judge ignored all that and maintained that SBS was still a „reasonable diagnosis.“ A Texas appeals court also affirmed that position.

So basically Roberson is hosed because Texas still thinks that junk science is acceptable, while in other jurisdictions that same junk science can‘t be used. So based on where you did something, different types of „evidence“ can be used. Obviously Texas is lobbying hard for the Supreme Court not to take the case, because reasons.

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023

Thanks, I found both of these really helpful. Every time I read into a constitutional debate I find myself overwhelmed with the sheer volume of precedent, though I suppose that’s true for any outsider looking into a common law country.

I should clarify, that I’d not intended to imply that the 8th might render capital punishment per se as unconstitutional so much as the death penalty in certain contexts might be (means of execution, proportional to the crime, &c.), and possibly do so in such a way as to render it broadly unworkable. Furman, it seems, had this chilling effect. I recall that several years ago there was a challenge to certain modes of chemical execution via the 8th, accompanied by speculation that the case might spell the end for capital punishment. Evidently it did not succeed.

e.: Glossip v Gross

Corambis fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 28, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Considering how much junk science is used and treated as gospel by so many (hello, lie detectors) it'd be wonderful to get a ruling that kneecaps its use but considering the court's makeup and how bloodthirsty multiple justices are when it comes to the death penalty I'm not too optimistic. Especially when you factor in how much the cops love junk science in general.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
There are some excellent texts out there about the really difficult intersection between science, a necessarily epistemologically "open" structure of collaboration and exposure of weakness, and the legal system, an adversarial one based in providing social certainty in outcomes by "closing" conflicts. Even when the judges understand the issues really well (and that does happen!), it's still an innately fraught area.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Discendo Vox posted:

There are some excellent texts out there about the really difficult intersection between science, a necessarily epistemologically "open" structure of collaboration and exposure of weakness, and the legal system, an adversarial one based in providing social certainty in outcomes by "closing" conflicts. Even when the judges understand the issues really well (and that does happen!), it's still an innately fraught area.

Any chance you can recommend one or two off of memory, even if the title was close but not perfect?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Potato Salad posted:

Any chance you can recommend one or two off of memory, even if the title was close but not perfect?

Not from memory, and I'm unfortunately apparently missing most of my files on the topic, other than the one on legal semiotics, which is...challenging, and not very useful. I'll get back to you shortly.

A related semiotics paper focusing on the necessary positivism of law is Peter Ingram, Implicature in Legal Language, doi https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01099333. The notion of the legal construction of meaning is a theme in legal semiotics that's useful in this regard (although I'd never recommend reading semiotics voluntarily).

Most scientific evidence textbooks discussing the core Frye and Daubert standards touch on this to some degree, usually in the intro. I think Jasanoff, Science at the Bar, discusses this in detail. I'm very frustrated because I know there's a source that handles this really elegantly, and I can't loving find it in my files.

Edit: yes, Chapter 1 of Science at the Bar summarizes the contrast- it's not the really good source I was thinking of, but it provides decent coverage. Also someone posted it to a center at U Colorado years and years ago, so you can read it here:
https://sciencepolicy.colorado.edu/students/envs_5110/science_at_the_bar.pdf

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 5, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The Supreme Court: Now With Ethics!

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1724147794712125566

https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/Code-of-Conduct-for-Justices_November_13_2023.pdf

I guess they hope that releasing this code of conduct will distract from Clarence Thomas and Sam Alito’s shenanigans.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Since they can't enforce any of that, even against their fellow justices, it is entirely voluntary and thus meaningless.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Since they can't enforce any of that, even against their fellow justices, it is entirely voluntary and thus meaningless.
Bingo

It’s just to wipe their hands of this just say ‘we’re following the code now’

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Bingo

It’s just to wipe their hands of this just say ‘we’re following the code now’

The code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
"The legislature's bill is unconstitutional overreach. We have our own code! with . . .um . . . Blackjack? And . . .?"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Silly Burrito posted:

The Supreme Court: Now With Ethics!

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1724147794712125566

https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/Code-of-Conduct-for-Justices_November_13_2023.pdf

I guess they hope that releasing this code of conduct will distract from Clarence Thomas and Sam Alito’s shenanigans.

SCOTUS CoC Canon 3.B.(3) posted:

(3) The rule of necessity may override the rule of disqualification.

Ah, well. Nevertheless...

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Ah, well. Nevertheless...

sounds like a line you'd put in the mouth of robespierre in a cliched movie

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
It's not like it really matters, they aren't opening themselves up to any more oversight than before, they'll just appear more hypocritical when the next batch of unreported deep sea fishing trips and RV loans come to light and nothing is done about it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

If by some miracle the Dems don't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory next year and end up with single party* rule they could pass a law with enforceable ethics for the SCOTUS and strip the court's jurisdiction on the matter. They won't, because Dems gonna Dem, but passing a law that requires them to follow set ethics guidelines and carries criminal charges if they don't is technically doable, including punishment that forcibly recuses them from cases while it's being served. IE: Thomas gets prosecuted for corruption and goes to prison (please just let me dream) and he's prohibited from taking part in any hearings while incarcerated.

* yeah yeah, you know what I mean.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
After a lengthy investigation of the SCOTUS by the SCOTUS the SCOTUS has determined that the SCOTUS has done no wrong, but will clarify its rules to prevent further confusion from the plebian.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Just saw elsewhere that a 6:3 ruling blocks Florida from enforcing their stupid anti drag show law anywhere in the state. Alito, Gorsuch, and Thomas dissented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s a temporary stay. I see a lot of concern that SCOTUS may still ultimately rule in Florida’s favor when the case gets to them