Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Congrats you're not who I was referring to, though probably were like dudes I met in 2020 convinced everyone sucks except them, so progressive they understand voting is for lib pigs only

Nevertheless, here where it does in fact matter, I much prefer Governor "Dixiecrat" Bel Edwards to Governor "Why on Earth Would I Veto Bigotry, In Fact Bigotry Rules, Vote For Me" Jindal, for example.

I love that last night’s Louisiana gubernatorial debate didn’t even have Landry in it. Dude just assumes he’s got it sewn up. I really hope we get a Vitter situation here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

Obviously he's not delivering on all of our wildest dreams or anything (some of which is on him, some of which isn't), but I feel like if you go back four years and asked people what they expected a Biden presidency would be like, it'd be well short of what he's done. He's probably the best president we've had in my lifetime, which feels weird to say about someone who people are so generally unenthusiastic for.

Just getting out of afghanistan gets him that. Though, the permanent damage done to his approval rating shows you why three successive presidents wouldn't do it.

Ah time to commit historical levels of corruption so I can rack up a quarter of a million at Morton's Steakhouse??? In DC?????

"Yep. That's me."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

zoux posted:

Just getting out of afghanistan gets him that. Though, the permanent damage done to his approval rating shows you why three successive presidents wouldn't do it.

Ah time to commit historical levels of corruption so I can rack up a quarter of a million at Morton's Steakhouse??? In DC?????

"Yep. That's me."

It's not quite as exciting as that headline makes it seem. He has fundraisers for all of his campaigns and committees there.

That total is all the money his campaigns and political action committees have spent there since 2003. It's not all steak consumed by him.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Top G posted:

Maybe we’ll see a return to the classic shop model wherein you tell the shopkeeper at the counter what you want and they get it for you

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I mean we sort of are trending that way but the shopkeeper is an app.

Which I hate. I don’t want someone else picking out my produce.

I feel like this is the direction they're trying to push this, with curbside pickup and online ordering.
They just got done renovating the Walmart by my house, and the checkout lanes are like 95% self-checkout, and none of the checkout lanes are large. Like, they're clearly not built to handle a cart full of stuff anymore like the original lanes were.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's not quite as exciting as that headline makes it seem. He has fundraisers for all of his campaigns and committees there.

That total is all the money his campaigns and political action committees have spent there since 2003. It's not all steak consumed by him.

I'm not certain you're correct Leon, you're underestimating Morton's prices. At their rates that's only about 213 prime bone-in ribeyes a year. The man's gotta eat. Being in the Senate burns a lot of calories, and that's only 293 pounds of meat, counting the bones (which he does).

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 27, 2023

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not certain you're correct Leon, you're underestimating Morton's prices. At their rates that's only about 213 prime bone-in ribeyes a year. The man's gotta eat. Being in the Senate burns a lot of calories, and that's only 293 pounds of meat, counting the bones (which he does).

USCE Summer: counting the bones

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Bob Menendez being a metahuman like The Flash who has to consume tens of thousands of calories a day to stay alive would be an extremely fun scandal.

I don't think he is, though. If he was, then he probably would have been able to move those gold bars out of the house before the FBI got there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Bob Menendez being a metahuman like The Flash who has to consume tens of thousands of calories a day to stay alive would be an extremely fun scandal.

I don't think he is, though. If he was, then he probably would have been able to move those gold bars out of the house before the FBI got there.

It's hardly metahuman, he's only able to afford about 800 calories a day on that diet. You can understand why he'd feel the need to supplement his income.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

This is all out of fear born of a (hypothetical) loss of his family's (hypothetical) cattle farms, which would've been seized had his parents been wealthy landowners, actually owned a ranch, and not moved out of Cuba several years before the revolution.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

zoux posted:

This is all out of fear born of a (hypothetical) loss of his family's (hypothetical) cattle farms, which would've been seized had his parents been wealthy landowners, actually owned a ranch, and not moved out of Cuba several years before the revolution.

It's heartbreaking to see the press go after a man with such a deep sense of empathy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Emotional support bullion

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If going to a Morton's steak house DC, you might as well go to a Ryan's.

Shades of Vince Young spending 5k a week at Cheesecake Factory, although in Tennessee that's considered fine dining.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Discendo Vox posted:

It's hardly metahuman, he's only able to afford about 800 calories a day on that diet. You can understand why he'd feel the need to supplement his income.

If you actually read the menu then it's obvious he is getting the loaded baked potato at ~1400 cal in order to hit his calorie needs. Also bread is not listed in the menu as an add on so we can infer that bread or rolls are free and probably nearly unlimited.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zachack posted:

If you actually read the menu then it's obvious he is getting the loaded baked potato at ~1400 cal in order to hit his calorie needs. Also bread is not listed in the menu as an add on so we can infer that bread or rolls are free and probably nearly unlimited.

Ah see that's an upcharge, that makes the $300k more understandable

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

zoux posted:

The ironic thing is that his family fleeing the Batista regime is the one thing that makes him more sympathetic.

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

zoux posted:

The president going to a picket line is huge. It's "the bully pulpit" which I believe is the left's preferred mode of extralegislative action, and how they were going to usher in M4A. They're also trying to pass the PRO act but they can't, I guess because they don't really want to since only the Democratic party has agency on Capitol Hill.

It certainly pissed off Obama's people
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1706747404756635815

'The tradition of the President is to stay neutral, supporting unions is wrong' - Steven Rattner

Neutral? Who is he to say it is wrong to support the workers themselves, rather than investors!

Like, Rattner manages billionaire Michael Bloomberg's assets and has served on several large corporate boards. He began his career as an economic reporter for The New York Times before moving to a career in investment banking at Lehman Brothers, Morgan Stanley, and Lazard Freres & Co., where he rose to deputy chairman and deputy chief executive officer. He was a founder and managing principal of the Quadrangle Group, a $6 billion private equity investment firm.

Rattner famously used Quadrangle Group to siphon from the New York State Common Retirement Fund, one of the largest public pension funds in the United States. Rattner arranged for kickbacks of 1.1% for investments greater than $25 million from the state's pension system, receiving over $150 million.

Rattner contributed to an election campaign of the manager of the retirement fund, Alan Hevesi. Rattner attempted to ensure that his bribes were made through third-parties in order to conceal his role and to ensure his name did not appear on public donor records. Shortly after this, the CRF increased its total investment in Quadrangle by $50 million.

Rattner also arranged for a DVD distribution deal for “Chooch,” a movie produced by the brother of CRF's Chief Investment Officer, and connected him to various people at a film channel company, IFC, in which Quadrangle was an investor and on whose board Rattner sat.

“Steve Rattner was willing to do whatever it took to get his hands on pension fund money including paying kickbacks, orchestrating a movie deal, and funneling campaign contributions,” said New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo.

Cuomo’s long-running investigation into the criminal scheme resulted in seven guilty pleas and recovered over $139 million through agreements with sixteen firms and three individuals.

In 2009, when this pension-siphoning scandal was beginning to heat up, and with General Motors and Chrysler nearly insolvent, Rattner was appointed counselor to the United States Secretary of the Treasury as lead auto adviser, known as the "car czar", to address financial problems within the two auto companies.

Rattner used his position to create a US governmental investment of $82 billion and heavily managed the companies. Both automakers were on their way to profitability within six months when Rattner left Washington and returned to his investment firms, at the cost of tens of thousands of jobs.

atriptothebeach fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 27, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So is the upcoming government shutdown gonna be a big deal or is it the type of shutdown that doesn’t really seem to matter?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Boris Galerkin posted:

So is the upcoming government shutdown gonna be a big deal or is it the type of shutdown that doesn’t really seem to matter?

Depends entirely on how long it lasts. A few days and we'll roll our eyes and say "oh, those republicans!" and everyone moves on. As long as the last one (35 days) and it becomes a big deal

It also has the option to instantly become a big deal if some kind of major disaster happens while the government is shut down

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Lord of Hats posted:

Obviously he's not delivering on all of our wildest dreams or anything (some of which is on him, some of which isn't), but I feel like if you go back four years and asked people what they expected a Biden presidency would be like, it'd be well short of what he's done. He's probably the best president we've had in my lifetime, which feels weird to say about someone who people are so generally unenthusiastic for.

Best since LBJ, which still isn't a high bar. (Sorry Jimmy.) Whether he's better than LBJ depends *entirely* on how much you count Vietnam vs the Afghanistan withdrawal, miscellaneous nonshittery (telling Bolsonaro to shove off), and apparently successfully navigating the Ukraine war without either letting Russia conquer the place or starting a nuclear conflict.

LBJ was way the poo poo more transformative domestically but Vietnam is rather a damper on his legacy.

kinda wish he'd find himself a better vp though

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Boris Galerkin posted:

Feels a little concerning because of how crazy the right wing of the republican party is and how weak a speaker McCarthy is but who knows. Since it's such a thin majority it might not take that much for enough Republicans to say "gently caress this" and agree to something the democrats would agree with, but I guess they have to push McCarthy to put it up.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Levitate posted:

Feels a little concerning because of how crazy the right wing of the republican party is and how weak a speaker McCarthy is but who knows. Since it's such a thin majority it might not take that much for enough Republicans to say "gently caress this" and agree to something the democrats would agree with, but I guess they have to push McCarthy to put it up.

mccarthy cannot cooperate with Dems because if he does then he loses his speakership

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Government shutdowns are always a big deal. Pretty much all non-essential government spending grinds to a halt. All non-essential activities and services are put on hold, all non-essential workers are furloughed, and essential workers don't get paid.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

mccarthy cannot cooperate with Dems because if he does then he loses his speakership

I feel like that's half the point of this exercise. The extra insane (aka: literally treasonous) part of the Republican congress will either get what they want (they can't) or sacrifice McCarthy under a bus cause they have to break something if they can't get their way. When the last vaguely sane member of the party votes with the Dems to end the shutdown at the last minute, the traitors will drop their support for McCarthy and hilarity will ensue.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Best since LBJ, which still isn't a high bar. (Sorry Jimmy.) Whether he's better than LBJ depends *entirely* on how much you count Vietnam vs the Afghanistan withdrawal, miscellaneous nonshittery (telling Bolsonaro to shove off), and apparently successfully navigating the Ukraine war without either letting Russia conquer the place or starting a nuclear conflict.

LBJ was way the poo poo more transformative domestically but Vietnam is rather a damper on his legacy.

kinda wish he'd find himself a better vp though

Even there it's worth noting that, for example, when LBJ signed the Voting Rights Act and Medicare Democrats had a 2/3 majority in both houses of Congress, and even if a bunch defected (since plenty were Dixiecrats) the modern filibuster did not exist yet so trying to block it meant literally stopping all Senate business with unending speeches. And the Republican party was less prone to block all Democratic proposals out of sheer spite. Whatever one thinks of LBJ and his ability to land big legislation, he was playing the game on a much easier mode and this is seldom acknowledged.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

The withdrawal was negotiated by the Trump administration though?

quote:

On 29 February 2020, the US, represented by diplomatic envoy Zalmay Khalilzad, and the Taliban signed the Agreement for Bringing Peace to Afghanistan, commonly known as the US–Taliban deal,[49][50] that provided for the withdrawal from Afghanistan of "all military forces of the United States, its allies, and Coalition partners, including all non-diplomatic civilian personnel, private security contractors, trainers, advisors, and supporting services personnel" within 14 months (i.e., by 1 May 2021).

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

haveblue posted:

Depends entirely on how long it lasts. A few days and we'll roll our eyes and say "oh, those republicans!" and everyone moves on. As long as the last one (35 days) and it becomes a big deal

It also has the option to instantly become a big deal if some kind of major disaster happens while the government is shut down

Another mattering threshold is ~1.5ish weeks, at which point members of the military and the civil service will be essentially guaranteed to miss their first paycheck after October 1st. We're guaranteed back pay thanks to the law Congress passed at the end of the last shutdown, but that's little comfort to anyone living paycheck-to-paycheck.

Main Paineframe posted:

Government shutdowns are always a big deal. Pretty much all non-essential government spending grinds to a halt. All non-essential activities and services are put on hold, all non-essential workers are furloughed, and essential workers don't get paid.

In addition to the uncertainty and financial damage that government employees face, it's hell on agencies' abilities to do stuff, because any shutdown throws off timelines and causes metaphorical traffic jams in projects long afterwards. My last workplace took months to get back on top of the backlog created by the 2019 shutdown.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 27, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RepJeffDuncan/status/1707130790864175414

This strong advocate for traditional values was cheating on his wife.

I don't think this stuff matters anymore tbh. Ken Paxton had a come-to-Jesus meeting in 2018 with his campaign and OAG staff, with his wife at his side, crying about this affair he had and how he had sinned but now he's going on the straight and narrow and now we know that affair continued at least through the end of 2020 if not to this very day and it's not a part of that story at all. In 1995 that would be the headline item. It certainly hasn't diminished his standing among the cartoonishly evil faction of the state party, rather the opposite

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Reasonably close to half (or maybe more, a big chunk is unknown) of retail theft is done by employees, so pretty much none of the things mentioned would help.

And then the question is how much of the external theft is even organized versus just some people gaming self checkout to buy steak at potato prices, etc. The answer is we have no idea. They are throwing around “shrink” numbers but that does not only include theft. Comparing 2019 to 2022, it’s plausible that uncertainty in supply lines and consumer habits have led to more over ordering, which would also lead to inventory shrinkage.

Regarding Target, I spot checked three of the closing stores and all had another Target within five miles, and one had two within three miles. It seems probable to me that they just wanted to close some stores for profitability reasons and decided to use it to make a point.

The internal numbers people throw around in LP is generally that internal theft is a third or more of all loss, to be pedantic, not half. Which depends on the sector, market, and what you're calling 'loss' since internal shrink doesn't usually include accidental loss or big ticket loss like embezzlement.

Theft and ORT have both "increased" since the height of the pandemic but you're right that we don't really know by how much. And most companies, including mine, don't disclose total loss on a company level. Individual retail stores do know how much of their inventory is lost as a percentage of sales. 1 to 3% is considered normal in most sectors, and anything over 3% is generally considered high. A lot of stores in this area are seeing over 3% but not by like, an astronomical degree. So what is that - it could be a genuine increase in theft, or a loss of sales (probably not tho spending is still high compared to pre-pandemic) it could be due to the inflation on items people are stealing, etc. No one is genuinely interested in fixing the systemic causes of theft so nobody is going to research it sadly.

Now, that math is based on assumptions so ancient they may no longer be valid but that's what a lot of stores around here see.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 28, 2023

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

So again, the same bullshit story Marco Rubio likes to tell.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1707037275664633957

As I was marvelling at this coming from, of all people, Jeff Stein, I found this thread in the replies from a higher up at the US Chamber of Commerce where he describes good things as bad. Anyway, it's as good an accounting of the pro-labor policies implemented by this administration, and you know these are the ones that sting them because they are hollerin

Real Lionel Hutz rainbow daydream poo poo

Is there a good explainer about what Biden has done that benefits unions and labor? I know there are a bunch of things in various pieces of legislation - is there a good list?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

small butter posted:

Is there a good explainer about what Biden has done that benefits unions and labor? I know there are a bunch of things in various pieces of legislation - is there a good list?
I would make sure not to limit youe search to legislation. The biggest labor wins in his administration have come from agencies like the NLRB, FTC, etc. The American Prospect covers its "Day One Agenda", including a tracker showing the nonlegislative wins Biden's achieved and the ones that (in the Prospect's opinion) he could do but hasn't.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

If going to a Morton's steak house DC, you might as well go to a Ryan's.

Shades of Vince Young spending 5k a week at Cheesecake Factory, although in Tennessee that's considered fine dining.
How is it even possible to spend over 700 dollars a day there, especially 20 years ago?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Charlz Guybon posted:

How is it even possible to spend over 700 dollars a day there, especially 20 years ago?

They have a really big menu.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

They have a really big menu.

But how could you physically eat that much food? It's delicious, but the portions are massive and while Vince was big, he wasn't Andre the Giant big.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Vietnam is definitely the political equivalent of "But you gently caress one sheep..."

Charlz Guybon posted:

But how could you physically eat that much food? It's delicious, but the portions are massive and while Vince was big, he wasn't Andre the Giant big.

Leftovers for the time between visits.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

Joking aside, Leon answered this; Menendez used Morton's as catering for his events. That's what the source for the six digit bill is.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

small butter posted:

Executive action, mainly. He appointed a former union lawyer to be the NLRB's General Council, and under her guidance the NLRB has been aggressively investigating labor complaints and changing their rules to block various union-busting tactics.

For example, the Biden NLRB's ruling in Cemex makes card check the default, requiring companies to go out of their way to petition for a secret ballot election. Moreover, they ruled that if the company commits any unfair labor practices that would normally lead to a redo of said election, then the union instantly wins by default and no redo is necessary. It's an amazing rule and anti-union lobbyists are terrified of it.

The Biden NLRB also launched labor practices investigations into major employers like Starbucks and Amazon, and has reportedly been active behind the scenes to privately pressure employers in union negotiations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Joking aside, Leon answered this; Menendez used Morton's as catering for his events. That's what the source for the six digit bill is.
I'm talking about Vince Young and the Cheesecake factory.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Charlz Guybon posted:

have you heard of alcohol? throw a couple $20 cocktails on each tab (assuming its a group) and the bill climbs fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

He reportedly spent $15k in one bill. He was feeding other people too. SBNation broke it down. https://www.sbnation.com/2012/9/20/3359698/how-vince-young-allegedly-spent-5000-a-week-at-the-cheesecake-factory

quote:

According to Clay Travis, Vince Young spent $5,000 a week at the Cheesecake Factory. This report came from the 2006 season, when the rookie Young would take "seven to eight" his teammates to the popular chain restaurant to eat. This is common practice for rookies entering the league, so let's not blame Vince for obeying the customs of his new employers.

Let's figure out exactly how someone spends $5,000 a week at the Cheesecake Factory, though. It really isn't as improbable as it sounds provided you assume a few things.

We'll assume eight people in a party.
For maximum gluttony, we will also assume the Titans ate at the Cheesecake Factory five times a week. This is far more probable than you want to admit. Most professional athletes in any city flock to large chain restaurants.
Five meals with eight people with a $5000 budget breaks down to $625 per person per week, or $125 a meal.

Getting to $125 is difficult without some serious gluttony. A filet mignon ($30), crab cake appetizer ($12), two side items ($7 a piece), and one slice of expensive cheesecake ($7) gets you to $63 or so before tax and tip. That tax, by the way, is a combined state and city tax of 9.2% for someone eating in Nashville. It is not a small chunk of this, either.

You fill in the rest with delicious and expensive booze. champagne, the most expensive of which would be Veuve Clicquot, which goes for about $90 a bottle at the Cheesecake Factory. Add in additional beverages--our favorite being the "Flying Gorilla," a "Kicked-Up" Chocolate Banana Milkshake with Godiva Chocolate and Banana Liqueur"--and hitting that $125 goes from extravagant to sort of conceivable.