Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

YggiDee posted:

I'm telling you all, Podcast Addict. Been using it for eight years.

We don't agree on a lot of things (I assume, never checked) but this is 100% correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I switched from podcast addict to Google podcasts a couple months ago and like it way better

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

sourdough posted:

I switched from podcast addict to Google podcasts a couple months ago and like it way better

So you're the reason they're killing it off.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm glad we all agree that Pocket Casts is the best podcasts android/iOS/web app

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lawson posted:

Looking at recent play store ratings I wasn't the only one with pocketcasts problems. On my new p7a I resorted to finding the folder with the downloaded episodes and then pointing poweramp at them. Clumsy but it worked in a pinch on a long train ride. Good to see that it kept working for some of you.

Could have been an a/b test.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

VelociBacon posted:

Could have been an a/b test.

The best part of being allocated into the intervention group of an a/b test is that if there's something you really dislike, making changes can be more more difficult as the processes you know or are described on the website no longer work.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Going to suggest this useful tool that has been around forever that let's you reinstall any apps/games you bought before INCLUDING the apps that are not listed in Play Store anymore.

Lots of sorting options and just cringe at alllllll microtransactions you did in the past

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.azefsw.purchasedapps

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Says it only works on older versions of Android.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Interesting how it supposedly works on apps which aren't listed on the store anymore? But yea I don't really trust apps with any kind of complexity which haven't been updated in 2+ years.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pvt. Parts posted:

Interesting how it supposedly works on apps which aren't listed on the store anymore? But yea I don't really trust apps with any kind of complexity which haven't been updated in 2+ years.

Most of the time they are still there just unlisted and if you know the url it's a straight download. In theory anyway. It could also be using a third party repo filled with malware.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

android is phasing out support for 32bit apps so a lot of those delisted apps will stop working anyway even if you find a way to install them

enjoy flappy bird while it lasts

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Is there an app to disable mic on Bluetooth headphones, so you can use your phone's mic instead?

Googling it I found a couple vaguely described apps, not sure if there's a good one for this. Just looking to not have the phone automatically use the cheap Bluetooth mic etc, but I do want to use them as headphones during calls.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Bluetooth devices > options wheel > toggle off use for calls
I somewhat missed the point of your question. AFAIK there isn't a way of doing this. It either hooks up to the headset and uses it for calls, or ignores it for the point of calls.
You'd need to do something quite odd, like plug a 3.5mm bluetooth adapter into the headphone port to pass the audio only over bluetooth.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 28, 2023

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pvt. Parts posted:

Up to you.

If you find an equivalent then please post it.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 28, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Khablam posted:

Bluetooth devices > options wheel > toggle off use for calls
I somewhat missed the point of your question. AFAIK there isn't a way of doing this. It either hooks up to the headset and uses it for calls, or ignores it for the point of calls.
You'd need to do something quite odd, like plug a 3.5mm bluetooth adapter into the headphone port to pass the audio only over bluetooth.

I'm open to any kooky solution. It sounds like that one would do the opposite of what I'm looking for there. Since I'm looking to use the phone's mic. If I plug any USB adapters into the USB-C port, the phone's mic doesn't work since it thinks I'm using a USB mic, etc.

I'm using wired headphones, some clip-on Panasonics I've stockpiled, so I've tried USB-C to 3.5mm adapters and also Bluetooth aux adapters. I'm on an s21 so I don't have the classic headphone jack these days.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Just buy a better headset. What you are trying to do is very out there.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

H110Hawk posted:

Just buy a better headset. What you are trying to do is very out there.

Eh, I don't think that's fair. I'm talking about using the evergreen Panasonic clip-on headphones that have ruled forever, so comfortable for me, and just making a phone call.

I don't like the feel of headphones on my head, and I'm picky etc. On Windows it's really easy and on discord etc you can do your inputs output, it's all good. On an android phone I can't choose between two mic outputs? It's a reasonable thing, and it worked flawlessly on my s7 thanks to its headphone jack. Now I'm rudderless on the s21 and quite frankly it's the worst thing that has ever happened in phone history.

How insane that every Bluetooth adapter comes with a crappy mic that you can't turn off. And that USB-C adapters make the mic not work. The world is crazy here, not me. Options and functionality are good, not everything being one lame way for everyone.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 28, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I am on the phone a lot for work and use Bluetooth earpieces - a Plantronics Voyager 5200 as my main work earpiece, with a couple Jabra Talk 25 earpieces as back-up and for use on my personal phone, and an even more backup Jabra Talk 35.

I have lots of earbuds and headphones, but for actual phone calls getting something actually built for the purpose makes a world of difference.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I am on the phone a lot for work and use Bluetooth earpieces - a Plantronics Voyager 5200 as my main work earpiece, with a couple Jabra Talk 25 earpieces as back-up and for use on my personal phone, and an even more backup Jabra Talk 35.

I have lots of earbuds and headphones, but for actual phone calls getting something actually built for the purpose makes a world of difference.

Glad you found some stuff that works for you. I like hearing the audio in both ears even though it's mono. And I wouldn't want to spend 90+ bucks for the one or two long phone calls a week, it's not for a job or anything. But I am looking into bluetooth stuff, not finding a lot of it promising, but what can ya do.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

Eh, I don't think that's fair.

It's out there. Not saying it shouldn't be possible because it's just Linux but that doesn't mean they're exposing it to you.

Try these and see if it works at all, and then you can figure out how to get it in a form factor you like:

https://a.co/d/49KAxRF

You need the USB-c driver to show up as headphones not headset. Probably all the usbc to 3.5mm are handshaking as headset.

Or just deal with it for your stated 2 calls a week.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

H110Hawk posted:

It's out there. Not saying it shouldn't be possible because it's just Linux but that doesn't mean they're exposing it to you.

Try these and see if it works at all, and then you can figure out how to get it in a form factor you like:

https://a.co/d/49KAxRF

You need the USB-c driver to show up as headphones not headset. Probably all the usbc to 3.5mm are handshaking as headset.

Or just deal with it for your stated 2 calls a week.

You berate a man, saying I need to deal with it. The dream of using my headphones on my phone like I always used to is out there, and you double down on that. I'm allowed my right as a phone citizen to have dreams.

I realize the USB-C adapters are erroneously making my phone think a USB mic is plugged in, that's why I've been looking in the Bluetooth adapter direction. I'm not sure what buying a no-mic USB-C pair of earbuds would do to help me here. Wired USB headphones would give me even less options up my alley compared to Bluetooth I think. Other than using the many wonderful headphones I have stockpiled that can't work with phone calls now.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

sirbeefalot posted:

Am I going to need to have a sub now to listen to podcasts? YouTube Music doesn't play in the background, with the screen off, or through Android Auto without a paid sub. Fuckin' Googled again.

Install InnerTune.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

E: nevermind I misread the post sorry!

For contents sake, the recent episode of Podcast About List re: Second Life is amazing.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 28, 2023

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there an app that lets you pause apps, the way Pixel does? I assumed it was a stock Android feature but the Zenfone doesn't have it! Sad!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

smoobles posted:

Is there an app that lets you pause apps, the way Pixel does? I assumed it was a stock Android feature but the Zenfone doesn't have it! Sad!

Don't you have a "Disable" button in the app info page? It should be an AOSP feature.

Otherwise, I suppose you can install Insular to do it. By default it can only freeze/unfreeze the apps in the work profile, but there's an in-app guide to let it manage regular apps too (it involves running a few adb commands though).

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

NihilCredo posted:

Don't you have a "Disable" button in the app info page? It should be an AOSP feature.

Otherwise, I suppose you can install Insular to do it. By default it can only freeze/unfreeze the apps in the work profile, but there's an in-app guide to let it manage regular apps too (it involves running a few adb commands though).

Nope, just those first 3 buttons (open, uninstall, force stop)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Not all apps allow you to disable. Try a few different apps, if you see the option in other apps but not that one it might be the case.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
This is why I use a super sketchy app made by a developer who doesn't really answer support emails which enrolls as MDM allowing me to disable anything. Including ones that might oops my phone into not work.

But not outlook gently caress that and it's MDM requirements.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.osp.pmanagerinfo
https://www.packagedisabler.com/

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I just use ADB to remove or disable apps you can't uninstall, like G-Mail, YouTube, ARMoji stuff, Bixby, etc.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What's a good maps app for smart watches? I just got a Galaxy Watch 5 and Google Maps is having trouble keeping up with my location, and the watch version can't do public transport routes.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dabir posted:

What's a good maps app for smart watches? I just got a Galaxy Watch 5 and Google Maps is having trouble keeping up with my location, and the watch version can't do public transport routes.

I think they're all plagued by the same issue - the OS on all the android watches is so bad that it basically makes them unusable for anything really interesting.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't see how that stops Google putting a public transport button next to the walking and driving options like the phone app has

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Dabir posted:

I don't see how that stops Google putting a public transport button next to the walking and driving options like the phone app has

Easy answer here is that Wear OS doesn’t have the critical mass needed for app developers to care enough about anything other than getting the bare minimum working.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Easy answer here is that Wear OS doesn’t have the critical mass needed for app developers to care enough about anything other than getting the bare minimum working.
And it's sorta hilarious how vastly ahead of Tizen this is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Samsung alone has (depending on the quarter) 30-50% of the Apple marketshare so it's not as small a market as you would think. Even Apple only has between 20-30% of the smartwatch marketshare.

I actually see Galaxy Watches (4/5/6) in the wild pretty frequently.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

Samsung alone has (depending on the quarter) 30-50% of the Apple marketshare so it's not as small a market as you would think. Even Apple only has between 20-30% of the smartwatch marketshare.

I actually see Galaxy Watches (4/5/6) in the wild pretty frequently.

Ok, but are all of those watches on WearOS3? What about WearOS4? Or are half of them stuck on Tizen or old versions of WearOS that nobody cares about or bothers developing for?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Ok, but are all of those watches on WearOS3? What about WearOS4? Or are half of them stuck on Tizen or old versions of WearOS that nobody cares about or bothers developing for?

WearOS4 is on Galaxy watches 4 and up, yes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

5TonsOfFlax posted:

WearOS4 is on Galaxy watches 4 and up, yes.

Yeah, every one is WearOS 4 now.

I was also talking about current sales numbers. There are no more Tizen watches on sale.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Is there a way to have Bedtime mode turn itself off in the morning without an alarm? I don't want a wakeup alarm on weekends, but I do want bedtime mode to end. The only thing I've found is to set the alarm to a silent tone on weekends, which then makes the clock app have a fit about missing an alarm & send a notification.

(I have trouble sleeping and I keep my phone display off at night until 6am, so I can tell at a glance if it's a reasonable time to get up or if I've woken up at 3am again.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

effika posted:

Is there a way to have Bedtime mode turn itself off in the morning without an alarm? I don't want a wakeup alarm on weekends, but I do want bedtime mode to end. The only thing I've found is to set the alarm to a silent tone on weekends, which then makes the clock app have a fit about missing an alarm & send a notification.

(I have trouble sleeping and I keep my phone display off at night until 6am, so I can tell at a glance if it's a reasonable time to get up or if I've woken up at 3am again.)

You can just choose 'use a schedule' in the bedtime mode screen