Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Tae posted:

Honkai 3rd impact was just ripping off bayonetta and made hundreds of millions of dollars

I thought 3rd Impact was before DMCV, though? I was thinking of new titles after DMCV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I’m surprised Square didn’t commission them for another Nier game

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I feel like a new Nier is cooking for sure

but they might be going with the studio that remade the first Nier instead

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The Nier remake was loving solid

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I got covid this month and I rewatched the Nier let's play while I was down and it still holds up. One of my fav playthrus. Pat/Liam plays seem to be some of my fav since my rear end keeps going back to their terribl(y good) SMRPG run too :frogbon:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

beep by grandpa posted:

I got covid this month and I rewatched the Nier let's play while I was down and it still holds up. One of my fav playthrus. Pat/Liam plays seem to be some of my fav since my rear end keeps going back to their terribl(y good) SMRPG run too :frogbon:

Barkley might be my favorite playthrough on the channel.

Pat and Liam had pretty amazing chemistry, especially considering the issues between them.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Vandar posted:

Barkley might be my favorite playthrough on the channel.

Pat and Liam had pretty amazing chemistry, especially considering the issues between them.

Right? I was surprised when I hear they apparently don't get along because Barkley was an amazing LP.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
The Pat/Liam MGSV LP was also excellent, gunjumping and all.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Neo_Crimson posted:

The Pat/Liam MGSV LP was also excellent, gunjumping and all.

i still randomly sing "greatest soldier in the world - big boss~"

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

and then Capcom dropped DMCV and everyone who liked that sort of game forgot all about Platinum.

YEP

MorningMoon posted:

Granblue Relink, which Platinum was working on originally, is supposed to be the next big thing in the genre. I'm really torn because I kinda disregarded Platinum for a while now; when Pat said something to the effect of "we get good action games now, we evolved past th eneed for Platinum" i was kinda already in that mindset.

Then I played FF16 and the parts that gave me the most joy were boss fights Platinum clearly did and ripped off their own poo poo as hard as possible for. Tears in my eyes saying "The Wonderful 102..." in a couple there, and dammit, I need to see what Platinum could do making a real game on a console now. And maybe I'll never get to see it.

Didn't they get a bunch of people that worked on DMC5 to work on FF16? I don't even know if that was Platinum.

Anyway, I still regularly watch compilations of the Omikron playthrough. That was a journey!

I don't think the animosity between Pat and Liam was there when they did those playthroughs. I kind of got the impression they were trying to work it out during that era, but it just didn't happen.

When they were doing the Twilight Princess playthough and met Barnes in Kakariko Village, Liam and Matt (and I think Woolie) start making a bunch of jokes comparing him to Pat, and I remember them being uh...weirdly angry and venomous. So it seems like Pat and Liam might have really had it out when they were recording that.

Clip-On Fedora fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 28, 2023

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Didn't they get a bunch of people that worked on DMC5 to work on FF16? I don't even know if that was Platinum.

The main combat director was from DMC5, but I believe that Platinum worked on some of the Eikon battles.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

MorningMoon posted:

i still randomly sing "greatest soldier in the world - big boss~"

"Now go..."

"Now goooo..."

"NOW go!"

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
I was skeptical about the price point at first, but bit the bullet and bought bayonetta origins. It slaps and it's worth the $60 price tag. Its one of my favorite games this year. It's sad it got swept under the rug.
so yeah platinum can still put out bangers

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I still like rewatching the old Shitstorm videos every day in October, and last year I made a playlist for it based on picking my two favorite episodes for each day of the month out of the 7 possible shitstorms, and then only slightly re-arranging some episodes so that you don't see nightmare creatures 2 before 1 for instance.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqAW0vkY-SEyt0b_QmFkU86I-xYtVTlJS

Thought it might be interesting for the thread to look at something lightly curated.

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.

Phantasium posted:

I still like rewatching the old Shitstorm videos every day in October, and last year I made a playlist for it based on picking my two favorite episodes for each day of the month out of the 7 possible shitstorms, and then only slightly re-arranging some episodes so that you don't see nightmare creatures 2 before 1 for instance.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqAW0vkY-SEyt0b_QmFkU86I-xYtVTlJS

Thought it might be interesting for the thread to look at something lightly curated.

This looks excellent, thanks for sharing! I don't know if these are on the list, but my most vivid Shitstorm memories are a couple of games that I think were made by the same person. The player is stuck in a maze-like house with a serial killer chasing them and you have PS1-era graphics with a VHS sort of overlay. Very atmospheric.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah there's a few Puppet Combo games on there.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I like that Woolie just keeps starting new LPs

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

mistermojo posted:

I mean, as far as the algorithm goes it's probably better for the channel than having a 100-part LP

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

It's not Woolie's fault that there's a bunch of cool games that he really likes out right now.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

mistermojo posted:

I just wish he would update his channel more frequently, but there is probably some algorithm-based reason he's not doing that.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I just wish he would update his channel more frequently, but there is probably some algorithm-based reason he's not doing that.

His editor was on vacation last week. They didn't publicize it much, I barely saw the mention.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Yeah Minh was out of the country for a week or few on vacation.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ah! That makes sense. Good to hear too!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's a mod Bomb Rush Cyberfunk that replaces two of the characters with Woolie and Reggie.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
https://clips.twitch.tv/OpenAntsyPizzaSuperVinlin-txBenwe-WWJInwpF

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
How is pat gonna not read or watch chainsaw man but he has enough space in his head for this warmed over nickelodeon kidz copycat of naruto/DBZ?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I thought both pat and woolie had read chainsawman, or at least the first series of it

if he's refusing to read the newer chainsawman series then he is   m i s s i n g   o u t

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

UP AND ADAM posted:

How is pat gonna not read or watch chainsaw man but he has enough space in his head for this warmed over nickelodeon kidz copycat of naruto/DBZ?

explain

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Just that they talked about Avatar on the podcast for too long. That's it. And I remember woolie reporting in that he read chainsaw man, but not Pat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've heard atla called a lot of things but not a naruto/dbz clone, that's certainly a take

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah for one thing it's actually goos

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I thought this was about My Hero Academia it was so vague

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dabir posted:

Yeah for one thing it's actually goos

Nah, it hovers right around the same level as the others mentioned

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
ATLA is a legit great show with one of the best redemption arcs

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ATLA is one of the finest shows ever made, an extremely tight 3 season show that was always meant to be that way and does not overextend its stay, filled to the brim with great character arcs/growth, great writing, and an extremely richly thought-out world full of detail and not watching it is a tremendous disservice to yourself. It is simply a masterpiece.

My source: me, who avoided it for a years and years thinking it was some kids poo poo until my cousin forced me to watch it one week, and I walked away feeling very foolish for my old beliefs :frogbon:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 11, 2023

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

My only real complaint about ATLA is the whole arc about "Aang can't firebend because he gives into the inherent Sith Lord urges of fire but it's OK because he doesn't need to" is kind of a nothingburger to me and drags down the end of the show a fair bit, but that said I'd still call it a like 9.5/10.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
haven't kept up on these guys much since they dissolved, anyone got a where are they now summary for me?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Monathin posted:

My only real complaint about ATLA is the whole arc about "Aang can't firebend because he gives into the inherent Sith Lord urges of fire but it's OK because he doesn't need to" is kind of a nothingburger to me and drags down the end of the show a fair bit, but that said I'd still call it a like 9.5/10.

The bit isn't that it's that the first time he tries it he hurt his friend so he's hesitant not because it's sith it's just he thinks he can't control it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

hubris.height posted:

haven't kept up on these guys much since they dissolved, anyone got a where are they now summary for me?

• Pat has become a fulltime Twitch Streamer, got married, moved to Vancouver, and recently had a kid.
  • Matt has shifted to becoming a video essayist with his Wha Happun? series, also does streams and short-ish LPs sometimes.
  • Woolie also mostly streams with his friend Reggie, but he does edit them down into LP format. Out of everyone his content resembles the old channel the most. He still runs the Super Best Friendscast, now Castle Super Beast, with Pat. Also married.
  • Liam has quit being an internet video games person entirely and went into Gamedev, and I think he moved to Japan not too long ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Monathin posted:

My only real complaint about ATLA is the whole arc about "Aang can't firebend because he gives into the inherent Sith Lord urges of fire but it's OK because he doesn't need to"

This wasn't the point of that episode at all lol