Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
You were almost there! I'm sure next time you'll get both of them and win the fight :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You were almost there! I'm sure next time you'll get both of them and win the fight :)
:)

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Meh. Was about to 1-shot friede. A sliver of health left. I hit the attack...and I kicked and then the big dude slams me in the head with his pot and I went from 100>0. LOL. I guess I got to excited. Didn't have to run in but whatever.

Kinda feeling over it with the game. Have the other DLC to get through and am kinda indifferent.

You are cheating yourself out of one of the best bossfights in the game if you don't finish: Spear of the Church. Trust me it's great.

The boss is another player! (Online only obviously.) Then you can join the covenant and get summoned to be another player's boss battle! It's a shitload of fun being someone's gatekeeper.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Horace Kinch posted:

Spear of the Church. Trust me it's great.
+1 to this. Spear of the Church is some of the most fun I've had in souls multiplayer ever. I was legit disappointed there wasn't a similar thing in Elden Ring.

Being the boss fight was so fun that it ended up being nearly half of my DS3 video (timestamped link), and that was after I cut like another 5-10 minutes of footage because there were so many fun fights

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oh..there's a 3rd phase. Fun.

Actually, not fun. I think I need to change my weapon. Half the time I swing and she moves before I actually hit her. I'd have beat her had I hadn't missed so many times. Pretty punishing fight.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Friede is DS3's Malenia/Fume Knight/Artorias/Owldad.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Friede is badass

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

No Dignity posted:

Friede is badass

:hmmyes:

She is one of those fights that you need to respect.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

No Dignity posted:

Friede is badass

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Horace Kinch posted:

Friede is DS3's Malenia/Fume Knight/Artorias/Owldad.

Owldad? I thought DoH was the rear end in a top hat fight in that game.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

DoH can be tricked into falling off the cliff, but yeah he's tough as nails too.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Friede tricking you into thinking you are done after the second phase by dropping a Titanite Slab is very funny.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
DoH's difficulty is greatly lessened with the umbrella. Just stand under him and whack his nuts. When he jumps, hide under the umbrella. He's easier than ISS and owldad.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Radagon of the Golden Order is basically Nameless King, except with more range punishes and gap closers.
I came across this today and thought of this post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeC7fA1g98M

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Decided to come back to Friede later and went to the other DLC. Dreg Heap suuuuuuuuuuucks. I ended up finding a walkthrough for the angels because gently caress that poo poo. I would have quit at that point cuz that is beyond no fun. Swamp plus curse plus constant barrages of poo poo is the worst thing I've seen in a souls game so far. Once the angels were gone at least the place was doable and I got through the boss with little problem and am done for now.

Angels? hahaha. Is the rest of this DLC this lovely or am I through the worst of it now?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The next area is legit really interesting, at least to me. Except the swamp but even it's not that bad.

If you're like me and want to mostly skip the swamp and come back to it later, just stick to the right after the stairs, that's how I found the quick way through by accident. There is some decent stuff in there if you want to go through later though. Also you'll have to venture out there for an NPC quest.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

After the Demon King, there’s a gauntlet where you just have to haul rear end. Then there’s another part that’s a gauntlet too if you want. Stopping and killing everything isn’t really worth it, and there’s very little exploration.

Once you find the bonfire at the bottom of the stairs, it’s really good. There’s a swanp, but bo poison this time.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The first time I made it down the stairs without being killed I turned left. Did a whole lap of the swamp running like hell from turtle beyblade dudes, knights and dragonslayer armour before I found the bonfire.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That rules because that means in your panic you missed the ladder

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

No Dignity posted:

Friede is badass

best boss in ds3 hands down

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I like Friede probably third or fourth best.

DS3 has a boss that is probably the first agreed difficult boss I properly soloed and worked at and allowed me to believe in myself enough to do Sekiro. It holds a tremendously special place in my heart: Slave Knight Gael

Winning that felt so good.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I made Friede be dead. Is there supposed to be cut scene? Time to finish the other DLC I guess.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Nope. No cutscene

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

After you beat Gael, go see babby Priscilla in the painted world. That’s about as much cutscene you get for the DLC endings.

Also, explore Gael’s arena after he’s dead. Treasure and a very angry NPC!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Made it to Gael and Midir. So, almost done. Gael seems pretty doable. Just learn his moves. Midir, on the other hand, seems very difficult.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Waltzing Along posted:

Midir, on the other hand, seems very difficult.

Get a big/long weapon and hit him in the face.

Or use pestilent mist.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Midir is the same, learn his moves.

Each of the big aoe attacks has specific danger and safe zones, learn those and the timing to get to the safe zones and you're golden

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Midir has a long and predictable punish window after every single one of his combos. So just learn to dodge each one and he’s dead meat.

Tricky to learn, but easy to master.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Got Gael to 20% or so. He's totally doable. Just such short heal windows and basically 3 fights in one so it takes a bit to actually learn. Fun, though. That 20% fight I ran out of estus. A few fewer hits and I may have had him. Unless he has a 2nd health bar which would be lol as gently caress.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I’m bad at these games, but Gael is actually one of the “hard” bosses that I didn’t find so bad. I got him on my third try. Artorius is the other, who I got on my first attempt. Don’t ask me how many tries other tough ds 3 bosses took.

In spite of the fact that ds 3 is my least favorite, Gael is the best From boss. Extremely fair, wonderfully thematic, amazing atmosphere; the fight is basically the perfect send off to the series.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Break time! Got 1 hit away from beating Gael and that was un-embered. And since then have just been getting worse. I'll get him tomorrow. Doubt I'll play any more tonight because I am getting irritated.

That 1 hit one I got too aggressive when I saw 1 hit and had no stamina and then had to roll away after getting hit to heal then hit then roll then heal then hit and boom, done. Had a ton of estus left.

And now I die almost as soon as I get to phase 3 every time. So yeah. Break time.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The problem is you're way too chill when you post about it. You need to be like "man gently caress gael, miyazaki cheats" then you no-hit him on your next try

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I do think his move in phase 3 where he jumps up and shoots you with his crossbow and then slams into the ground is pretty cheesy. No idea how to dodge that poo poo.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

War Wizard posted:

Or use pestilent mist.

:hmmyes:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Gael down. One to go then maybe I'll do Lies of P.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
On 2nd try I got to phase 2 w/ Midir and died immediately to his laser light show. And just don't feel like trying again.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Your playthrough has been an odd mix of remarkable skill and tilting at the slightest experience of friction, it's been funny to watch

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's not the friction with Midir. After that attempt I can see I can do him and probably relatively quickly. The problem is that there is nothing after And nothing else. It's just a moderately annoying run back each attempt. But once he's down, nothing to spend the souls on. Nowhere to go. Just done. And I'm burned out already.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

having a giant flailing camera boss as the optional capstone to DS3 is morbidly fitting, but it's probably not worth powering through it at the end of the day, especially when you've got the memory of an actually extremely loving good fight (gael) fresh in your mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah I think the golden rule of dark souls (or really any game) is if you're not having fun, don't force it. You can always walk away! You've beaten the poo poo out of the game, great job :D

It was fun following your journey