Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

mcmagic posted:

It would be incredible if the scumfucks in that Houston "Dynasty" can't even make the playoffs with 3 wild cards.

You hate baseball more than any other human being alive, you should be enjoying your early offseason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Accidentally posted this in the postmortem thread
https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1706829281991720965?s=20

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That is the worst part.

https://twitter.com/ZackMeisel/status/1707128948008595853

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did they leave the Creedence?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

I didn’t know Trevor Bauer was back in Cleveland.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

They need to bring back Bellinger or the offense is substantially downgraded. They also need an actual 3B who can hit, sorry all credit to Madrigal for taking to the position so well defensively but he's also hit just 83 wRC+ this year and has hamstrings made of twigs, he needs to be considered at best a bench guy going forward. Maybe they can push Morel up to passable at defense there in the offseason. With Ohtani's injury and presumed meteoric cost, I'm going to guess the Cubs pivot to Yamamoto over him but who knows.

I really, really hope all the talk of being willing to spend next year wasn't more Ricketts BS because between arb raises and a bunch of inexplicable dead money going to losers like Barnhart and Mancini, not a whole lot is going to drop off the books this offseason.

I think bringing back Bellinger is all you'd really need to do from an offensive standpoint. Their offense is pretty good and I'd be fine with giving Mervis a shot at 1st (maybe with a vet that can platoon with him). Plus they have guys like Canario and PCA who are close, if not ready to join the team. If they can sign Bellinger and re-tool the bullpen, they should be a good team next year. Maybe add another starter if Stroman walks. They have a slew of almost ready arms in the minors.

With that said, I doubt they'll bring back Bellinger. He's going to cost some money and a lot of teams would love a left-handed power bat in the middle of the order. The Ricketts are not serious owners. My guess is they'll claim that Bellinger isn't a priority because he would block PCA or some poo poo. Even though PCA could probably use another season in AAA.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Niwrad posted:

I think bringing back Bellinger is all you'd really need to do from an offensive standpoint. Their offense is pretty good and I'd be fine with giving Mervis a shot at 1st (maybe with a vet that can platoon with him). Plus they have guys like Canario and PCA who are close, if not ready to join the team. If they can sign Bellinger and re-tool the bullpen, they should be a good team next year. Maybe add another starter if Stroman walks. They have a slew of almost ready arms in the minors.

With that said, I doubt they'll bring back Bellinger. He's going to cost some money and a lot of teams would love a left-handed power bat in the middle of the order. The Ricketts are not serious owners. My guess is they'll claim that Bellinger isn't a priority because he would block PCA or some poo poo. Even though PCA could probably use another season in AAA.

I remember seeing bits from interviews with Stroman saying he wants to stay in Chicago, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Ricketts decide to not spend money on keeping him or Belli. They’re not Papa Steve with the “screw it I have money” way of spending on players

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You hate baseball more than any other human being alive, you should be enjoying your early offseason.

I like watching lovely people lose.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

No wonder you're a Yankees fan

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

mcmagic posted:

this is too easy come on

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

MrMidnight posted:

No wonder you're a Jets fan

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

MrMidnight posted:

No wonder you're a Rutgers fan

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Miz Kriss posted:

I remember seeing bits from interviews with Stroman saying he wants to stay in Chicago, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Ricketts decide to not spend money on keeping him or Belli. They’re not Papa Steve with the “screw it I have money” way of spending on players

They should be top 5 in payroll every season (they're I think 13th now). Keeping Bellinger barely breaks them into the top 10, especially if they lose Stroman.

What would Bellinger go for on the market? 6 years, $180 million? I feel like his injury history and the fact he doesn't play middle infield will drive the price down a bit from what we've seen from other big signings. I guess you can make a case that he can seamlessly shift to RF or 1B later in his contract. But there are some risks.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Miz Kriss posted:

Stroman has a player option for next year and all the rumors are after the injuries he's going to opt into it and try to rebuild his value for a better contract in 2025.

Niwrad posted:

I think bringing back Bellinger is all you'd really need to do from an offensive standpoint.

Again they need to do something about 3B. Their options right now are:

1. Buy into Miles Mastrobuoni being a late-ish bloomer. He's had a nice hot streak and tore up Iowa this season, but he also has an extensive track record of looking like a firm AAAA guy.
2. Give it another go with Madrigal, who's glove looked surprisingly elite at 3B but is on what feels like his thousandth IL stint thanks to hamstring injuries and has put up 71 and 83 wRC+ seasons with the Cubs so far.
3. Give it another go with Wisdom, who'll likely give the Cubs 30+ HR's over a full season of production but it'll come with a ~35% K rate and a stone glove at 3B.
4. Give it a go with Morel, who'll likely give the Cubs 30+ HR's over a full season of production but it'll come with a ~30% K rate and a stone glove at 3B.
5. Go get an FA, but who? Candelario probably won't be too expensive but you're gambling on his up and down career offense. Chapman would be nice but will cost a boatload.
6. Stopgap for a prospect, both Murray and Shaw could feasibly reach the bigs next year and take over 3B, but neither would be anywhere near ready for opening day.

None of these are really a silver bullet, and 3B is by far the weakest position for the Cubs right now unless you count the pen.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah, 3B sucks but there just aren't a lot of good options anywhere in the league. I think Candelario would be nice since he can play both corner infield spots, but he might command some decent money since the position is so weak around the league.

If they sign Bellinger, I'm fine with them just doing a mix and match thing at 3B like they did this year. Madrigal seemed to hit well when he was given regular playing time (and was terrific defensively). Morel can fill in sometimes. Jared Young might be a late bloomer. And the way Matt Shaw is hitting in the minors, he might be ready by the end of next season.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

:hmmyes:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Niwrad posted:

Yeah, 3B sucks but there just aren't a lot of good options anywhere in the league. I think Candelario would be nice since he can play both corner infield spots, but he might command some decent money since the position is so weak around the league.

If they sign Bellinger, I'm fine with them just doing a mix and match thing at 3B like they did this year. Madrigal seemed to hit well when he was given regular playing time (and was terrific defensively). Morel can fill in sometimes. Jared Young might be a late bloomer. And the way Matt Shaw is hitting in the minors, he might be ready by the end of next season.

I'm confused. Why didn't the cubs just sign a ~6 WAR-ish player with a big bat for $21m a year for a decade to play 3B if they needed one. Doesn't every team do that?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Marlins you have one job, keep the cubs out.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/1707128829599215696

It's a day game so I understand the stands being that empty I guess but man those are some empty stands

I had to doublecheck they weren't playing in Miami

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MrMidnight posted:

No wonder you're a Yankees fan

This implies that I enjoy watching the Yankees lose which I don't. Pretty weak attempt at an own here.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I enjoy watching the Yankees lose

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Season on the line tonight so you know Chas and Yanier are riding the pine

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s kind of heartwarming that mcmagic found the antagonistic enemy fanbase to match his energy. He gets his enemies and they get their boogeyman. Everyone’s happy. It’s been hard for those Yankee fans since the Boston rivalry dried up.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sydin posted:

in 2025.

I don't know why but this finally made me go "Ah gently caress we really ARE living in the future."

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

Season on the line tonight so you know Chas and Yanier are riding the pine

what the gently caress I thought Verlander was the only one with the weird Dubon in CF fixation

as for Diaz, well... I hate to say it but lately Maldy has seemed to be the more reliable one. Diaz has been pressing hard

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/sdutKevinAcee/status/1707176189847306275

Preller and Melvin don't like each other but they both make too much money to get fired so they're going to have to work it out.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Chas got absolutely drilled in the kidney last game so that may have something to do with it but woof

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

STAC Goat posted:

It’s kind of heartwarming that mcmagic found the antagonistic enemy fanbase to match his energy. He gets his enemies and they get their boogeyman. Everyone’s happy. It’s been hard for those Yankee fans since the Boston rivalry dried up.

Dunking on mcmagic makes you an “antagonistic enemy” now, that sounds kinda cool.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
that's a fancy way to say "rational"

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I don’t know what everyone is so mad about, mcmagic said Cashman, Boone, and the Yankees are bad and he was right :shrug:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bregor posted:

I don’t know what everyone is so mad about, mcmagic said Cashman, Boone, and the Yankees are bad and he was right :shrug:

Astro fans are sensitive snowflakes about their lovely cheating underachieving team.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Astro fans are sensitive snowflakes about their lovely cheating underachieving team.

#NotAllAstrosposters

(They know who they are lol)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

Chas got absolutely drilled in the kidney last game so that may have something to do with it but woof

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1707157825045045412

e: it's over
https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1707198139617468434

zoux fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 28, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Good season Cole. You deserved better.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Jays trying to relive the glory days of the 80s, 1987 sepcifically

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Red Sox were a pretty fun team most of the season. It's too bad they completely loving fell apart this month.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Yankee fans are sensitive snowflakes about their lovely cheating underachieving team.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Astros fans around here have literally no other comeback but "i know you are but what am i" like a 4th grader. i'm old enough to remember when they said the yankees and dodgers were cheating the same way heh

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Jays trying to relive the glory days of the 80s, 1987 sepcifically

I hope the Jays don't make the post-season so there's a chance that Guillermo Martinez, Dave Hudgens and co are out of a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
If the Jays still somehow bumble their way into the playoffs, it'll merely be a brief appearance as they repeat the kind of performance from the previous two games.