Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Stairmaster posted:

There need to be more explicitly alt history style wargames. Like give me something based off the anglo-american nazi war where you gotta do normandy but with 50s tech.

There's Plan Orange, which is a magazine game where Mark Herman redid Empire of the Sun but set 10 years earlier so you're fighting the Pacific war with battleships

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It's also hilarious because the only way to win as Japan is to have THE DECISIVE BATTLE and be lucky enough to win it. The game is 100% the Americans slowly creeping up their fleet train and then the two sides mashing ships against each other.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

yes... hahahaha! Yes!!!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Slavvy posted:

2 separate German alt-history tracks! Oh boy!!

The real selling point

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

There need to be more explicitly alt history style wargames. Like give me something based off the anglo-american nazi war where you gotta do normandy but with 50s tech.

Paradox did that Sunset Invasion dlc for Crusader Kings 2, where the Native American tribes invade Europe like amphibious Mongolians. I think everyone hated it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It was okay, it helped shake up the western end of the map, but there wasn't that much flavor to the Aztecs and it as mostly a gimmick.

Anyways how about an alt history wargame where the Nazis destroyed the British army at Dunkirk and Japan attacked the USSR instead of Pearl Harbor, so that Stalin essentially has to battle the combined Axis powers alone.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PerniciousKnid posted:

I think everyone hated it.

yeah because whitey don't like it when get they get a taste of their own medicine

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
the problem with the aztec invasion is that its all light infantry, so after however many years of combat balance changes they're really anemic and can maybe carve out a foothold in brittany before being quickly ejected by the locals

it needed more teeth to keep up and they never touched it post release for whatever reason

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

According to one of the devs sunset invasion sold well enough for them to consider doing more weird history stuff, but I think they just decided to add fantasy options to some of the then future dlcs to play it safer

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the idea behind Sunset Invasion ruled and I'm sad they never did anything else like it

the ridiculous alt-history options in Hearts of Iron IV are mostly bad, although some of them are at least funny like the Spanish anarchists having literal world domination as an endgoal

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Mantis42 posted:

Anyways how about an alt history wargame where the Nazis destroyed the British army at Dunkirk and Japan attacked the USSR instead of Pearl Harbor, so that Stalin essentially has to battle the combined Axis powers alone.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

crops are so dang cool; I built one of those big 11,000 ton grain storage units and an entire industry sprang up around it - a food factory, then a distillery, then a livestock farm->slaughterhouse chain, then a fabric factory-clothes factory chain.

it really makes you appreciate why it was such a thing that the Soviets and Axis were fighting over the grain elevator complexes in Stalingrad

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Mister Bates posted:

the idea behind Sunset Invasion ruled and I'm sad they never did anything else like it

the ridiculous alt-history options in Hearts of Iron IV are mostly bad, although some of them are at least funny like the Spanish anarchists having literal world domination as an endgoal
I thought the Soviet DLC where you got to pick whether Trotsky/Stalin/Rykov got to lead the USSR was interesting at least

but yeah HOI IV can't quite decide whether it wants to be a game about "serious" history i.e Unity of Command or wacky space-aliens version of history like CK2

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

It was okay, it helped shake up the western end of the map, but there wasn't that much flavor to the Aztecs and it as mostly a gimmick.

this is great because it's also essentially the premise of your typical 'Cold War Gone Hot' game except with WW2 technology and it would rule

with the problem being that if any wargame dev made this it would only be playable from the Axis side

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Typo posted:

I thought the Soviet DLC where you got to pick whether Trotsky/Stalin/Rykov got to lead the USSR was interesting at least

but yeah HOI IV can't quite decide whether it wants to be a game about "serious" history i.e Unity of Command or wacky space-aliens version of history like CK2

I think Hearts of Iron would work a lot better if it started in like... 1930 or 33 or something, maybe even earlier in the immediate post-WW1 era, with a faster tick rate and longer tech tree. A lot of the alt-history stuff would feel less ludicrous with more time to breathe. Simplify focus trees so that diplomacy is an actual system players can use to sway and interact with other powers, a la other paradox games, instead of a track determined by their tree. And for god's sake add some mechanics for managing alliances and coalition warfare, it's so loving stupid how factions in HoI IV just end up heaping all their divisions together in a mess on one front unless seriously scripted to do otherwise

anyway thats my HoI V fantasy that won't be realized

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Fuligin posted:

I think Hearts of Iron would work a lot better if it started in like... 1930 or 33 or something, maybe even earlier in the immediate post-WW1 era, with a faster tick rate and longer tech tree. A lot of the alt-history stuff would feel less ludicrous with more time to breathe. Simplify focus trees so that diplomacy is an actual system players can use to sway and interact with other powers, a la other paradox games, instead of a track determined by their tree. And for god's sake add some mechanics for managing alliances and coalition warfare, it's so loving stupid how factions in HoI IV just end up heaping all their divisions together in a mess on one front unless seriously scripted to do otherwise

anyway thats my HoI V fantasy that won't be realized

I'd like a post ww1 game. Something that was either set right after the brest treaty or after the german surrender and then have the game be about reshaping he postwar world.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The focus trees were a terrible idea imo

As mentioned, they make the diplomacy system mostly useless, and make the game into a choose-your-own-adventure book rather than any kind of dynamic simulation.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

paradox should have played cataclysm and empire of the sun

and also not made their wwii game continous play

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Endman posted:

The focus trees were a terrible idea imo

As mentioned, they make the diplomacy system mostly useless, and make the game into a choose-your-own-adventure book rather than any kind of dynamic simulation.

agreed. something that turned me off really hard from HOI4 was experiencing that the focus trees operate in a special netherworld that nonetheless overrides everything else in the game every 45 or 90 days.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The focus tree feels like it was specifically designed so that you couldn't do HOI3 style diplo cheesing. Either way as a system it gave us everything from goofy alt-hist paths to entire CYOA storygames using the game's engine.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
yeah HOI is one of the most obvious victims of scope creep in the Paradox lineup, because the thing that originally set it apart from most of their other titles was its extremely narrow focus - it was a series about a specific war and all of its mechanics were built around recreating that war. it is not a game about simulating the 20th century, it is a game about an extremely short time period of less than 10 years and covers that time period in granular detail. it is not a grog game by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a wargame first and foremost, with everything else - the economy simulation, the extremely limited internal politics system, the diplomacy, all of it - existing almost exclusively to provide support and context for the war the game is actually about.

the base game was fun because it was a WW2-themed sandbox toy in which you could take this existing conflict everyone knows about, poke it, fiddle around with it, and see what weird and interesting outcomes you could get if you changed certain parameters around. it's more like smashing plastic army men together and making machine gun noises with your mouth than some kind of serious political sim - which is fine, it's not a criticism of the game, but it also means that it's built mainly to do that, to be a war sandbox where everything you do is about either getting ready for a war, establishing the context in which a war will happen, or fighting a war. almost all of the political maneuvering - indeed, almost all of anything that you can possibly do that isn't directly related to war - has no actual gameplay mechanics built to support it and has to be done through the national focus system, so all of the outlandish alt history poo poo basically boils down to clicking a button and then reading a text prompt that says 'congratulations Paraguay is now an absolute monarchy with cores on Zanzibar'.

it's pretty unsatisfying as a gameplay experience and only has appeal for how funny and weird the outcomes are; getting to those outcomes kind of blows and usually isn't meaningfully tied into the rest of the game.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's a long way to say the least appealing thing about the game is the gameplay, which blows

I can just use my imagination to do an alternate history where Italy invades France with it's hardened Ethiopian campaign veterans

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

bedpan posted:

I'd like a post ww1 game. Something that was either set right after the brest treaty or after the german surrender and then have the game be about reshaping he postwar world.

there was a HOI II mod about exactly this

it was boring af

the HOI mechanics are based on modelling WWII, it really really doesn't work if WWII isn't happening or about to happen

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Not a fan of having to meticulously design every plane/ship/truck for a +0.30% bonus for division toughness.

Edit: HOI4 has the problem of implementing things that sound "cool" but make gameplay unpleasant or a slog.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

FirstnameLastname posted:

i totally get what you're saying
the psychological and mental elements of competitive strategy games are still really under recognized and interesting imo

its v noticeable playing sc2 since it's so fast paced and gives no time to recollect your thoughts so any mental fatigue tends to build up through a match and across matches (players will gg out of tournament matches before they're completely decided if they've got rounds after that and don't think they can win, to conserve their mental energy for the ones they think they can, it becomes a fully fledged third resource next to gas & minerals at the pro level)

all players have their kinda basic cycle of actions and decisions they'll run through about every ~10-30 seconds, unit production, scouting, macro stuff.

attached to that is the higher order decisionmaking and processing, where they think about what you're doing and what they should do.
its attached to it and not the other way around while playing because there's just too many things happening after the first few minutes, that build off decisions you made 30 sec, 1 min ago, 3 min ago etc. and by 4-5 minutes there's a new thing happening purely in your internal economic development.every 1-3 seconds, not including interactions with the other player. by about 7-8 minutes youll always have more than one thing per second happening. cues and timing and working off rote memorization/muscle memory are how someone navigates most of what's happening in the game, while making decisions on how to most efficiently direct those cycles of input and focus in response to the decisions made by the opponent
without executing those cycles, you can't execute any strategy, so the priority is always there, all of the more complex gameplay sprouts from it.

there's a rhythm to it created from the pace units/buildings build and upgrades complete at and how quickly resources are gathered, it speeds up and builds in complexity as the game goes on & the upper ceiling of potential performance continues rising until the end of the game.
it's executed in shorter intervals and becomes more fluid and adjustable the better a player is, that's where the really high APM in bw/sc2 pros comes from, the pros are splitting their focus in sub-second intervals continuously - but fundamentally it's no different from any other competitive player, its just being done more often and more efficiently, it's the only way to engage with the game mechanics competitively

you can really notice it between two grossly mismatched players, the better player will just intuit how often the other player is bouncing between things and will time their attacks & pokes ( which all cause the same big flashing red symbols on the map and voice yelling "WERE UNDER ATTACK", every time) to interrupt those processes specifically. less for the effect on the map than in the other player's head - by disrupting the other player's ability to smoothly make more dudes and to react without impacting their own + preventing the other player from taking the initiative, correctly paced intervals of disruption will do more damage than the actual damage done with the majority of attacks

past that, if a player can continue to interrupt that process to the point their opponent begins to feel like they're being outplayed, and/or is forced out of their own gameplan, they will inevitably start to make glaring mistakes, over respond to things, get tunnel vision, become overly passive or overly aggressive, and then fall apart - even if their actual position on the map isn't behind the other player's, and on paper they still stand to win, they're unable to find a way to reach the win condition.

the parts of their routine that aren't flexible aren't able to be changed while they're still playing, and the flexible parts aren't able to develop a new plan of action that compensates for the situation without mechanically degrading their own play so much they lose on unit/base count regardless of their strategic planning, since the plans come from the execution of what are essentially drilled exercises

the interplay of trying to break into and disrupt each other's mental process is where the real depth and interesting gameplay in those kinds of games is imo.
ppl talk about the micro bc its fast & intricate and flashy, but it only even matters bc the game requires that strategic distribution of attention-span and working memory across more things than can be flawlessly micromanaged and focused on at once

the neat part of it to me is that entire aspect of the game all lies outside of the actual ingame strategy & is independent of which race, map, playstyle, etc. it's almost entirely the exploitation of physiological and psychological responses to stimuli to keep a person off-balance, or breaking their will to fight by making them feel like it's a waste of energy to go on

This is a good post and I think it is worth broadening the discussion with another perspective. A lot of my friends do fencing, and they often remark at the parallels. Tempo, pressure, distance, are all super important concepts in games, and it feels like hardly person playing games can even see them, much less understand them.

When playing basically any multiplayer game - from Starcraft through Halo and even World of Tanks - if you develop a sense of it, you can really easily feel enemy focus and weakspots, and you can feel when a push will have an outsized effect, and when you're better off doing a little prodding and poking. I often notice that outside of really high level play, people in games tend to be extremely passive.

To tie it back into Soviet doctrine, it was highly tuned to make those decisions simpler. I was very impressed when I learned that even the spacing of different elements of a regiment on the march was tuned to give a commander the right amount of time to figure out what to do with the next arriving element during a battle. Through trying to make war a science, communists gamified it.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 01:36 on Sep 28, 2023

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

bedpan posted:

agreed. something that turned me off really hard from HOI4 was experiencing that the focus trees operate in a special netherworld that nonetheless overrides everything else in the game every 45 or 90 days.

the focus tree feel like the result of paradox unable to make the core design decision of whether they want their game to be a sandbox or theme-park style game

also the endless amount of obessession their playerbase have with who would be the king of America if the US became a monarchy in the 30s

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
them making the division designer was a bigger sin imo.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

them making the division designer was a bigger sin imo.

Yeah, now you have to remember the max combat width of every type of geography and make specialized divisions for each. Or ignore it but at that point why is pdox spending time on that crap.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I think I'd honestly prefer if you just ran the war effort in Hearts of Iron, and they dispensed completely with the political and diplomatic systems beyond how they affect actually fighting WW2.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Darkest Hour was the peak of the series in my opinion, it had a bunch of potential weird alt-history outcomes and different scenarios while still understanding that the game was not a general political simulator or broad-focused grand strategy game but was instead specifically about simulating war, with every single other thing heavily abstracted and reduced down to only those parts that mattered to the military, and peacetime existing only as a warm-up period before the main event. every other system mostly got out of the way and let you focus on smashing divisions together.

HOI IV had a really good idea with its production system, and it was, in the beginning, a clear improvement over previous games, an interesting mechanic that simulated something which was extremely and immediately relevant to the war and had huge effects on how and why certain things happened. for whatever reason they have taken this perfectly serviceable mechanic and keep making it steadily worse with every release, by adding more and more poo poo you have to design.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
the other game that they licensed their hoi2 engine to for a fan remake was arsenal of democracy and i got that for free because they ran a giveaway on twitter and i was the only person to enter

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
I think everyone has memory-holed HOI III

which has like 100x more division designer type mechanics that makes the game tedious

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The ranking goes HOI 2 > HOI 3 > HOI 4 > HOI 1

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i'll die before i touch hoi3 again

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'll die before i touch hoi3 again

fav hoi3 meta was to make every infantry division with just one infantry brigade because otherwise the AI would get even more confused

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

meticulously setting up the command layers only for the AI to never advance the HQs leaving them permanently out of radio range of the units

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
HoI3 map on release having Stalingrad massively in the wrong location was very funny. Especially if you combine it with the dev diary going into how they were basically simulating the weather using temperature and humidity per province area or whatever they called them in that game.

Like just excellent use of development time and very emblematic of everything that would be to come for that game.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Typo posted:

I think everyone has memory-holed HOI III

which has like 100x more division designer type mechanics that makes the game tedious

Hoi 3 let you make your own OOBs and reshuffle divisions into brigades. It was and is an absolutely unplayable mess.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Brigade level grand strategy lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

HoI3 map on release having Stalingrad massively in the wrong location was very funny. Especially if you combine it with the dev diary going into how they were basically simulating the weather using temperature and humidity per province area or whatever they called them in that game.

Like just excellent use of development time and very emblematic of everything that would be to come for that game.

I think there was a dev diary shortly before release that mentioned as an aside that the AI routines for the countries did not exist yet. As in entirely did not exist and had not been written.