Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Celestial is a good set because you can do anything you want and not have to focus on power or condi. You can just do whatever feels right!

That being said it’s a good idea to grab a berserker/viper weapon since most weapons focus on either power or condition damage.

A celestial greatsword on a warrior, for example, is stupid and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

jokes posted:

A celestial greatsword on a warrior, for example, is stupid and bad.

But it looks cool and that's all that matters:

(https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crystal_Guardian)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ma'am your sword appears to have exploded.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

i do not regret buying the egirl light set nor the spiky spooky heavy set as soon as i saw them, they’re delightful fashion pieces. that dumpy medium set im not so sure about

those skins drop super commonly from fractals

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Man people need to stop suggesting they delete "bad" stat combos when the point is to give players options in a variety of game modes. They ALREADY killed a bunch of unique rune effects like sanctuary, aristocrat, and golemancer that I don't think they have any intention of replacing.

Re: raids, since I'm assuming arenanet is never going to release another raid because they suck as a company, the easiest ways to "fix" raids would be hitting the rewards. Give us daily raid objectives & achievements, give us rewards for completing content with new players like FFXIV does. Let people get additional rewards from boss's they've already killed that week (This is a big one, you get NOTHING for extra kills right now).

LFG is also just horrible. We don't need automated matchmaking, we just need a functional interface that lets people communicate with one another properly.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah automated matchmaking is... nice but not really needed in gw2, but the party finder is so basic

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Hard disagree.

The only reason wow and ff14 keep making as much group content as they do is that a large part of the playerbase gets to actually play it thanks to automated matchmaking. Content that costs millions of dollars to make that only a couple of % of the playerbase gets to play is not sustainable in the long term.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Yeah when buying items from the tp do not search for stat names but search by attributes.

Berserkers stat has a dirt cheap armor set for each weight, and most base game stat combos has some cheap items that are probably cheaper than the new WvW stuff.
Stat combos from expansions are really expensive though.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd settle for a way to identify boon providers in a group at a glance since by HoT they decided 2 support quick/alac were mandatory for optimal group comps.

Also for the ingame LFG to be improved after 11 years, just a simple number next to the LFG category.
World boss (3)
Raid (2)
Strike (5)
Dungeon (1)
v
Arah (1)

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Automated matchmaking for PvE would not work in this game unless they simplified the combat system and changed the existing content to not require special roles.

I also wish they'd improve the LFG system though. Even a small change like applying for groups rather than being able to "force" join would make commanding a much better experience, and probably lead to a lot more people being willing to do so.

You should also be able to "command" non-raid groups. It's kinda ridiculous someone can just join your group, tag up, and take control of it.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Regarding gear stats and prefixes, selecting Celestial gear is almost always better than any other option if you don’t know what you’re doing and just want a cozy, more forgiving experience. If you’re doing WvW or PvE, it’s a safe bet. There’s a reason Lord Hizen uses Celestial gear on so many open world builds.

LazyPeon got crushed because he was inexperienced as a tough class, didn’t opt for survivability from his stats, and went for a pure power DPS build from meta battle (which assumes there’s a dedicated healer supporting a squad).

Now it’s cheap & accessible to acquire via the new WvW exotic equipment vendor. It used to be expensive on the trading post, or you’d have to obtain it from other means, like grinding Bladed loot boxes from Verdant Brink or crafting.
By far, it was one of the best things about a level 80 booster character - full Celestial loot.

The bigger problem is educating new players about what their stats mean. There should be quests, rewards, achievements, NPCs to interact with, all helping the new person understand that Viper stats support a stronger condition build, whereas Berserker supports power, etc. Diviner/Ritualist for boon support builds, and so on.

While you can mouseover the tooltip in your character’s stats window, that doesn’t really paint a full picture of your available options and how stat combinations interplay with your skill choices.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 27, 2023

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

..btt posted:

Automated matchmaking for PvE would not work in this game unless they simplified the combat system and changed the existing content to not require special roles.

Bullshit. It’d work fine for 90% or more of the instanced group content in this game.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

boho posted:

Bullshit. It’d work fine for 90% or more of the instanced group content in this game.

How are you going to auto-matchmake a handkite, tower port, tank/offtank, Q1 kite or pylons?

I don't think auto-matchmaking would even be able to sensibly handle alac/quick between offensive and defensive supports. You'd have to rely on players flagging what they can do, and if you've spent any time pugging, you'll know people constantly lie, or completely ignore what you're asking for.

If the instanced content community was as big as in wow or ffxiv it might be approaching possible, for extremely easy content like normal mode fractals and strikes. But it's nowhere near that size, and most guild wars players simply aren't interested in that content.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
you don't need any of those outside raid or challenge mode strike mission instances, which is the 90% they're talking about

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

..btt posted:

You should also be able to "command" non-raid groups. It's kinda ridiculous someone can just join your group, tag up, and take control of it.

This, 100%. We talked about his earlier in the thread, but for PvE, the Commander tag should be free and accessible. For WvW/PvP scenarios, I understand it's more complicated, but there's no reason some dude trying to do KO for his turtle mount shouldn't be able to command his own beginner squad of new players.

In PUGs, someone toxic claiming the comm tag and abusing it is frequent. Not like it's a surprise to any of us, but people abuse power when they are given even a little taste of it.

These days, I'll tag up and assume control of the pug squad just so someone doesn't act toxic, I've seen it happen too many times. I've been kicked from groups for asking if I can heal (and there's no healer). I've seen toxic comms kick people for no reason, or just for petty poo poo - it's terrible.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 27, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm pretty sure 10 player squad tags are freely available? it's the 50player ones that are paywalled, but mentor tag kinda fixes that

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

..btt posted:

How are you going to auto-matchmake a handkite, tower port, tank/offtank, Q1 kite or pylons?

You don't. You make easy mode version of those fights with those sort of mechanics removed.

..btt posted:

If the instanced content community was as big as in wow or ffxiv it might be approaching possible, for extremely easy content like normal mode fractals and strikes. But it's nowhere near that size, and most guild wars players simply aren't interested in that content.

This is true. But having an automated group finder is literally the only way to grow it.

Truga posted:

you don't need any of those outside raid or challenge mode strike mission instances, which is the 90% they're talking about

Precisely. Nobody is lunatic enough to ask for matchmaking for HTCM.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

..btt posted:

Congratulations, you found the 10%.

Sure, you can outright exclude those, but even then a group finder’s purpose is not to guarantee a win. It’s to assemble a group. That group going on to lose is a more acceptable outcome than the content only being seen by a tiny percentage of the population.

When it comes to raids the only changes I’d want to see to support matchmaking are changing toughness tanking to a selectable tank via a buff NPC or object that marks a player as a tank, and in a perfect world, minimum agony resistance requirements to at least reflect some ascended gear.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GW2 has lots of active ways to dodge/mitigate/avoid direct damage if you're cool and smart, and being able to play a dedicated tank in low-stakes content would be great and fun. Sword/shield Vindicator being able to dodge everything all of the time, for example, while dumping buffs into melee. Warrior finally having a reason to use shield. Lots of block/riposte skills, like ranger's greatsword, vindicator's greatsword, etc.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Truga posted:

i'm pretty sure 10 player squad tags are freely available? it's the 50player ones that are paywalled, but mentor tag kinda fixes that

Unless I'm missing something here, assuming you don't own a tag, a player can control a Party as a leader, but not necessarily a 10-person squad group.

In a PUG scenario, someone can come in, and assume the role of Commander and tag up if they've purchased it, and you haven't yet. I've seen it happen dozens, maybe hundreds of times. In fact, sometimes there are training/beginner groups that advertise on LFG as: "IBS Easy 3 need comm tag."

Just increase the abilities of the Mentor tag and that could fix it, honestly.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
huh, shows what i know. i've seen people without tags start raid groups but i had no idea they were fishing for a real tag since i ground the gold for mine when they announced it's gonna get expensive lol

e: yeah, wiki says you can make raid-size squad whenever: "The maximum number of players allowed in a Squad is 10, or 50 if the Squad was created by a commander."
stealing a squad by tagging sure is a dick move tho

Truga fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 27, 2023

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Yeah, the whole thing is just unnecessarily complicated and confusing, that seems to be an ongoing trend with Anet, lol.

But yeah, unfortunately people will join a PUG, snatch up a Comm tag, and you're sort of at their mercy at that point. I mean, I guess you could leave.

I rarely ever kick people as Comm, only if they're abusive/acting toxic. Seriously if someone is actually trying and being nice, I'll sit there and wipe with them for an hour if I have the time to spare.

This is totally unrelated, but, I've been pugging lately with a lot of Arenanet employees who have the little Anet icon and company name in their title. I gotta say it's pretty cool that Anet employees are just running pugs and blasting, usually they are super nice.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

boho posted:

Congratulations, you found the 10%.

Sure, you can outright exclude those, but even then a group finder’s purpose is not to guarantee a win. It’s to assemble a group. That group going on to lose is a more acceptable outcome than the content only being seen by a tiny percentage of the population.

When it comes to raids the only changes I’d want to see to support matchmaking are changing toughness tanking to a selectable tank via a buff NPC or object that marks a player as a tank, and in a perfect world, minimum agony resistance requirements to at least reflect some ascended gear.

it's way more than 10%, I'd say 40 to 60 percent of instanced content "needs" at least one super specialized role

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
No that's just raids, and to be fair that is legacy content that will probably never get touched again. None of the strikes require anything special.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Harvest temple, boneskinner, arguably XJJ and KO too

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Boneskinner only because nobody actually bothers doing it properly. Outhealing/abusing hscg is in fact not the intended way to do the encounter :v:

None of the other strikes require any special roles, including those you named.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'd settle for a way to identify boon providers in a group at a glance since by HoT they decided 2 support quick/alac were mandatory for optimal group comps.

Also for the ingame LFG to be improved after 11 years, just a simple number next to the LFG category.
World boss (3)
Raid (2)
Strike (5)
Dungeon (1)
v
Arah (1)

The Arah inquisitioned me. That was good. :golfclap:

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

I've got great news then, you can experience matchmade strikes right now! Just click that little 'public' button when you go to the portal to launch one of the IBS strikes.
(do not do this)

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Glad to see y'all thinking about and discussing LFG, the current system is bad and like something out of an MMO from the early 2000's.

I want an automated queue system/improved LFG, too. We realize there's not a WoW holy trinity in GW2, but they could make it based off of gear/stats/builds instead. Replace the traditional trinity with this group comp: offensive support (2), defensive support (2), DPS (6) = 10 total for a squad, with sub groups of 5 folks each.

So if you have enough +healing power and +concentration, you'd qualify as a defensive support. Likewise, DPS could have: +condition damage, +power, +ferocity, and so on. If you take certain healing/DPS traits, you build could also be visible to other players in the squad and the Comm. I mean, you can already link your build in chat so this isn't that much of a stretch.

Celestial gear might mess with this concept, it could "qualify" someone as all three roles, but realistically they probably can fill any of those roles (unless it's like HTCM or serious business).

Some of y'all are not going to like the idea of being able to inspect other players - I know this is a spicy topic. Anet seems to draw a line in the sand over the idea of having "gear score" or gear inspection. So, instead, make it based off of their current stats.

Maybe you'd get a marker/icon listing yourself as a specific category (I'd be Defensive Support, Alac Heal Druid), and a Commander could sort through people trying to join their squad.

From there, either:

1) Let an algorithm automatically assemble the group (based on the group composition explained above) until it's filled.
2) Comm could manually sort through a list of folks, add/reject them as needed, or maybe message them while they're waiting in the queue: "Hi we just filled Alac DPS, can you go DPS instead?" - for example.

It sounds complicated, but it's very doable. I'm not saying my solution is perfect, they could keep the legacy LFG system for people who like things the way they are.

While we're dreaming of quality of life features, I would legit pay $20.00 bux on the spot for an item I could put in my shared inventory slot that teleported me directly to instanced squad strike content. Having to go from Wizard's Tower > Aborstone > XXJ and deal with extra loading screens is a pain in the rear end. Just let me go there with a button.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 27, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's probably better to just have there be 1-2 dedicated healers since that's the only really necessary element to GW2 groups nowadays.

In any event, being able to just queue for content and select your stats at that point would be the best way to do a LFG system. If you queue as a not-healer you choose between a set of pre-determined stat selections-- much like the already-existing PVP system!

This also allows them to VERY easily balance/buff/adjust numbers.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Any attempt at adding matchmaking to instanced content would require the game to do some or all of these horrible things:
1. Homogenize or mandate builds and classes, to make sure that it can always find somebody to play a given strictly defined role, and that no one attempts to queue up with something like pure heal firebrand with no quickness, or their mad science heal thief or something.
2. Remove quickness and alacrity, and boon support dps as a role, so you're either dps or bad dps that does green numbers sometimes
3. Simplify encounter design and never have special roles or requirements, so goodbye to things like packing stability, projectile hate, etc. on a per encounter basis, nevermind unique roles like hand / pylon kiters

At that point, just play FFXIV. It's a fun game! But they designed the entire game and class design around being compatible with matchmaking, and it's pretty samey as a result. Every dungeon is a straight line, every tank has the same suite of short mitigation, long mitigation, and invulns, and every dps skill is 'delivers an attack with potency X'. Assume a perfectly spherical raider with no mass or friction and you get to have matchmaking that always works.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

TY for this! Just hearing 'Viper is good use it' was not super helpful to knowing why it's important, or how I can mess with the build a little/what wiggle room I have to play with, so it's good having more actual info on the crunch side of it.

re LFG, I will say: as someone trying to get into strikes for weeklies/specials, yeah the LFG system sucks. I almost never see advertising to newbies for strikes - I check every day for that Cosmic whatever and nada - much less the ones on the weeklies/etc, and it takes constantly checking back in to see if that's changed. There was a time I did and as I was about to click Join it winked out. :') The only reliable category open for strikes is under Experienced.

Like pls just give me a 'let's gently caress up together and see how it goes!' group. That's how I've been doing most dungeons anyway.

Best thing it's done is let me jump in on Kryptis hunts when T2/T3 trains were rolling, or let me know when some of the bigger HoT metas are actually going somewhere.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 28, 2023

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

ptroll posted:

Any attempt at adding matchmaking to instanced content would require the game to do some or all of these horrible things:
1. Homogenize or mandate builds and classes, to make sure that it can always find somebody to play a given strictly defined role, and that no one attempts to queue up with something like pure heal firebrand with no quickness, or their mad science heal thief or something.
2. Remove quickness and alacrity, and boon support dps as a role, so you're either dps or bad dps that does green numbers sometimes
3. Simplify encounter design and never have special roles or requirements, so goodbye to things like packing stability, projectile hate, etc. on a per encounter basis, nevermind unique roles like hand / pylon kiters

At that point, just play FFXIV. It's a fun game! But they designed the entire game and class design around being compatible with matchmaking, and it's pretty samey as a result. Every dungeon is a straight line, every tank has the same suite of short mitigation, long mitigation, and invulns, and every dps skill is 'delivers an attack with potency X'. Assume a perfectly spherical raider with no mass or friction and you get to have matchmaking that always works.

Again, a group finder is not supposed to guarantee a win. Just a group of people interested in the content. The idea that a group finder has to compose a meta group is ridiculous. Guild Wars 2 isn’t nearly difficult enough to need that.

Also Q/A need to be removed period. Nothing else has broken the game so thoroughly as perma A/Q.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Is there a good guide on how to make the crafting profession numbers go up?

It seems like it's very expensive based on how certain levels you make just one thing at a time or in a certain order

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Is there a good guide on how to make the crafting profession numbers go up?

It seems like it's very expensive based on how certain levels you make just one thing at a time or in a certain order

https://gw2crafts.net/

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

boho posted:

Also Q/A need to be removed period. Nothing else has broken the game so thoroughly as perma A/Q.

that cow is so far out of the barn that it's started a new life in seacacus

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

boho posted:

I sincerely wanna try this for a month just to see how it goes. At the very least, the power creep would go down a lot. It would be even better if Braham was somehow to blame for A/Q being perma removed.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

boho posted:

Again, a group finder is not supposed to guarantee a win. Just a group of people interested in the content. The idea that a group finder has to compose a meta group is ridiculous. Guild Wars 2 isn’t nearly difficult enough to need that.

If a matchmaking system for a PVE activity isn't supposed to guarantee at least a pretty good chance of success, what's it for? Why would I join it if there's a good chance I'll just waste my time struggling against easy content?
We actually have this already! IBS strikes have public matchmaking and the kinds of groups it'll form will struggle to complete Shiverpeaks Pass, despite it being absurdly easy. Barely anyone uses the feature, because it's pretty likely you'll spend an hour not clearing it.

And if it wasn't perma quick/alac, it'd be perma might/fury. Each of these boons just results in more squad damage, and rewards you for building a squad comp that fits well together. Should we also get rid of might?

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
Yeah, maybe

edit: I would love it if they just balanced the game around not having max might, quickness, alacrity, whatever and just remove them. Not that they'd succeed but I'd find it a lot less annoying to build characters at least

Pesterchum fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

just have a raid finder setup like in wow, let me do the raids with randoms on an easier difficulty(or just add more players) once a week for some dumb reward, doesnt have to be the elite titles or chair