Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Is spending 300k at Morton's spinnable into supporting small farms? Asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I'd doubt a bigger restaurant would order from anything but a company like Sysco. I'm more familiar with the farm side of things but only small high end places seemed to come by for produce and talk about anything they want for next season.

Best customers ever. Had one of the best meals of my life at one, the chef came out to chat and wouldn't let us pay for anything but drinks. Support your local restaurants.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Executive action, mainly. He appointed a former union lawyer to be the NLRB's General Council, and under her guidance the NLRB has been aggressively investigating labor complaints and changing their rules to block various union-busting tactics.

For example, the Biden NLRB's ruling in Cemex makes card check the default, requiring companies to go out of their way to petition for a secret ballot election. Moreover, they ruled that if the company commits any unfair labor practices that would normally lead to a redo of said election, then the union instantly wins by default and no redo is necessary. It's an amazing rule and anti-union lobbyists are terrified of it.

The Biden NLRB also launched labor practices investigations into major employers like Starbucks and Amazon, and has reportedly been active behind the scenes to privately pressure employers in union negotiations.

Thanks for this. For some reason, I thought that this rule was part of one of the pieces of legislation from 2021.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Regarding Target, I spot checked three of the closing stores and all had another Target within five miles, and one had two within three miles. It seems probable to me that they just wanted to close some stores for profitability reasons and decided to use it to make a point.

Which, you'll recall, is precisely what Walgreens did a couple of years back and eventually had to admit.

zoux posted:

Also because naming the head of the UAW Sinn Fein is a little on the nose.

Christ, yes. Every time I've heard this on the radio/etc. in the past few weeks I've had to remember not to do a double-take.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Two scumbag state Ds voted to lock Ohio into illegally gerrymandered, R heavy maps last night to protect their own seats.

Vote Blue to fix things though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Harold Fjord posted:

Two scumbag state Ds voted to lock Ohio into illegally gerrymandered, R heavy maps last night to protect their own seats.

?

The Ohio maps thing was a decision by the Ohio Supreme Court. What vote are you referring to?

Edit: Here's the only article I can find about the maps from the last month. It says that after the Republicans got supermajorities in both Houses and a majority on the Ohio Supreme Court, the ACLU and voting rights groups decided that forcing another redraw could actually end up even worse, so they dropped it.

It is an extremely direct and literal example of voting changing the results.

quote:

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Congressional district maps previously deemed unconstitutional by the Ohio Supreme Court will be used in 2024 after the high court dismissed legal challenges against the Republican-drawn districts on Thursday.

The Ohio voting-rights groups that brought forward the challenges moved to dismiss their own lawsuits against the Republican-drawn maps earlier this week, saying the turmoil isn’t in the best interest of Ohio voters. The maps were found to be unconstitutional by the court several times for unfairly favoring Ohio’s GOP.

The state’s highest court, which holds a 4-3 Republican majority, dismissed the cases without comment.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio, on behalf of the League of Women Voters of Ohio and others, told the Ohio Supreme Court Tuesday that they are willing to live with the U.S. House map approved March 2, 2022, which was used in last year’s elections.

The legal dispute has been going on for two years, with the court rejecting two separate congressional maps and five sets of Statehouse maps — describing districts for the Ohio House and Senate in Columbus as gerrymandered in favor of Republicans.

Despite the maps being deemed unconstitutional before the 2022 elections, they continue to be used due to Republicans essentially letting the clock run out after refusing the court’s order to write up new, fairer maps by the prescribed deadline.

Ohio’s political landscape has only grown more conservative in the last few cycles. Both the state House and Senate currently have GOP supermajorities. The state Supreme Court’s Republican chief justice, who had provided a swing vote against GOP-leaning maps, retired.

https://apnews.com/article/redistricting-ohio-maps-republican-election-gerrymandering-69f4f1b6852ba5ea1c7df80286cb38b1

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 28, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I cut last night because it was now two nights ago.

Seems there always gonna be some random power seeking assholes willing to gently caress everything up for the rest of us by teaming up with the explict bad guys.

I found a good yahoo article earlier but now I can't find it with my phone. Lots of local activists are being furious on Twitter and it took a while to sort out why.

Usually complacent voters are feeling effective after winning the August special election so hopefully all these idiots are run out on rails.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 28, 2023

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I feel like you're saying things with citing any sources, and the statements you're making are the opposite of what could be described as "correct" or "factually accurate" when contrasted with the source another poster has provided.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
You mean the thing from two weeks ago doesn't talk about what happened two nights ago?

Obviously that means I'm lyin.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Stop reading brain-poison social media.

quote:

Ohio redistricting maps approved unanimously by commission

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) – As has happened five times in the past 16 months, the Ohio Redistricting Commission has approved a set of state legislative maps. However, what set Tuesday’s vote apart is there was bipartisan support for the plan, setting up Ohio’s districts for the next decade.

In a unanimous vote, the seven members of the commission approved maps setting up districts for both the Ohio House of Representatives and Ohio Senate to be used in next year’s election.

In light of the Ohio Supreme Court ruling five versions of state Senate and House maps were unconstitutionally gerrymandered and a court order to redraw districts, the commission raced the past two weeks to finalize a redistricting plan. The fourth and final public comment hearing on a working proposal wrapped up Tuesday before the vote.

Ohio Senate and House district maps approved by the Ohio Redistricting Commission on Sept. 26, 2023.

An earlier deadline set by Ohio Secretary of State Frank LaRose – Sept. 22 – had come and gone without a vote, some of which was chalked up to infighting among statehouse Republicans over who would co-chair the commission.

Ohio Auditor Keith Faber, one of the Commission’s two chairpeople, said the maps are the result of several hours of negotiations, while Senate Minority Leader Nickie Antonio, the commission’s other chairperson, said she hopes there will be more competitive races with the new maps.

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/your-local-election-hq/redistricting-commission-not-yet-in-agreement-over-legislative-maps/amp/

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 28, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Reminder that the vast majority of yahoo news articles are reprints from other sources. They identify the mediated source just under the title, but iirc it's not very visible on phones.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
What that article leaves out is how the new maps the Dem members signed on to remain heavily gerrymandered.

But my article got paywalled by the time I found it, can't find the free yahoo reprint

The local activists on social media are right and I'm not sure why you are poo poo talking them.

The state government is refusing to make not-gerrymandered maps and the Dems on the commission arent even presenting token opposition.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 28, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Harold Fjord posted:

I cut last night because it was now two nights ago.

Seems there always gonna be some random power seeking assholes willing to gently caress everything up for the rest of us by teaming up with the explict bad guys.

I found a good yahoo article earlier but now I can't find it with my phone. Lots of local activists are being furious on Twitter and it took a while to sort out why.

If you don't know what people are bitching on Twitter about, maybe take some time to find out first so we can have an actual discussion, instead of immediately posting a one-liner here to express whatever Twitter made you feel?

I assume you're talking about this, that the two Democrats on the Ohio redistricting commission voted for the current set of maps, which still favor Republicans but are significantly better than the maps initially proposed. If so, then what angry people on Twitter didn't tell you is that the Republicans hold a supermajority of seats on that redistricting commission, rendering the Dem votes completely irrelevant anyway.

Judging from the rhetoric of the Dems in question (who aren't making it a secret that they're unhappy with these maps), it seems that they judged that there was no chance in hell they were going to get completely fair maps, so they offered up their votes as a bargaining chip, putting a "bipartisan" veneer on the maps in exchange for slightly more concessions than the GOP would have offered otherwise.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The maps are illegal, a court ruled this. So the bipartisan veneer is poo poo from a butt. It's trash and they are trash for signing on

But it's cool how a bunch of people think they are experts more so than local activists that's kind of funny

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Harold Fjord posted:

What that article leaves out is how the new maps the Dem members signed on to remain heavily gerrymandered.

But my article got paywalled by the time I found it

The local activists on social media are right and I'm not sure why you are poo poo talking them

The AP article says that they ended up with less gerrymandered, but still very gerrymandered, maps because of the votes. The ACLU and voting rights groups were concerned that the previous swing vote who said the original maps were unconstitutional was replaced on the Supreme Court by a conservative Republican and would approve the original worse maps otherwise.

One of the Democrats on the commission was Senate Minority Leader Nickie Antonio, who had a safe seat in every version of the map. Her seat was actually even safer in the original Republican map. So she definitely didn't vote for a more gerrymandered map to protect her own seat. They did approve a very Republican-friendly gerrymandered map, but it was less Republican-friendly than the original map.

quote:

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Ohio’s political map-making commission unanimously approved new Statehouse maps Tuesday night, moving a step closer to resolving a long-running redistricting battle.

The state’s lengthy saga over the new political boundaries required to be drawn after every U.S. Census has been riddled with lawsuits and repeated court rulings finding previous maps were unconstitutionally gerrymandered to favor the state’s leading Republicans.

The new state House and Senate maps are poised to last into the 2030 election cycle, pending legal hurdles, and, like their predecessors, give the GOP an advantage statewide.

Under the plan, Republicans would have an advantage in roughly 62% of the House seats and 70% of the Senate seats. By contrast, the state’s partisan breakdown, averaged over the period from 2012 to 2020, was about 54% Republican and 46% Democratic. Republicans currently hold a supermajority in each of the state legislative chambers.

State Sen. Rob McColley, a Henry County Republican who served on the Ohio Redistricting Commission, said in a statement that the vote proved that bipartisan “good faith negotiations” in the redistricting process produce results, and that he’s “very pleased” with those results.

The final maps deliver Democrats more competitive seats than first proposed at the beginning of the latest round of redistricting negotiations last week — negotiations that got off to a slow start after a 16-month hiatus, thanks to Republican infighting over commission leadership.

However, the 7-member commission’s two Democrats did not appear to see this as a win as much as a necessary compromise.

“We collectively produced better, fairer maps,” Senate Minority Leader Nickie Antonio, the commission’s co-chair, said in a news release. “However, this cycle of redistricting has made it clear that this process does not belong in the hands of politicians.”

Antonio’s statement comes amid plans to put a constitutional amendment on next year’s ballot creating a citizen-led commission to replace the current Redistricting Commission, which is comprised of three statewide elected officials and four state lawmakers. Former Ohio Supreme Court Chief Justice Maureen O’Connor, who retired last year, is helping the effort, which calls itself Citizens Not Politicians.

The amendment would replace the current commission with a 15-person citizen-led commission made up of Republicans, Democrats and independents.

O’Connor, a Republican who cast a series of key swing votes against last year’s maps, said in a statement that trust has been lost in both Democrats and Republicans thanks to the compromise.

“What happened last night has real consequences: when maps are gerrymandered to protect politicians, it means citizens can’t hold their politicians accountable,” O’Connor said in a statement.

Ohio is among more than 20 states where redistricting efforts following the 2020 census remain in contention, either because of ongoing lawsuits or efforts to redraw the districts.

https://apnews.com/article/redistricting-ohio-maps-dc1840beea861ee5dcd5391d2156802d

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Moved closer to resolving the redistricting battle because the Democrats just gave up. Glad we are all on the same page now. Sorry my phone completely melted down when I was trying to find and share the article I saw from my work computer, but we sorted it. Go team

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Probably the most disappointing thing about the Internet is that we created a highly advanced information superhighway and then used it to produce the same sort of gossipy tabloids we’d always loved to hate.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
"Tabloid"? Where ? All evidence points to what I said being correct. Maybe you should save your concerns for the quarterly feedback

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Doh, edited out my original reply instead of quoting it.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 28, 2023

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

Moved closer to resolving the redistricting battle because the Democrats just gave up. Glad we are all on the same page now. Sorry my phone completely melted down when I was trying to find and share the article I saw from my work computer, but we sorted it. Go team

I'm genuinely curious: assuming Leon's framing is correct would you be happier with Democrats that held the line even if the final resulting map was even worse?

Harold Fjord posted:

"Tabloid"? Where ? All evidence points to what I said being correct. Maybe you should save your concerns for the quarterly feedback

You still haven't posted any evidence.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Harold Fjord posted:

The maps are illegal, a court ruled this. So the bipartisan veneer is poo poo from a butt. It's trash and they are trash for signing on

But it's cool how a bunch of people think they are experts more so than local activists that's kind of funny

Are these the same maps that a court ruled illegal? I need to do more digging and Googling to find out for sure, because you haven't given any sources or info other than vague references to "local activists" being mad on Twitter, but I'm pretty sure that these are new maps.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The maps are functionally equivalent, massively GOP tilted.It's funny the kinds of things that require extensive sourcing versus the kinds of things that don't

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is a bad, but objectively better, map

Objectively better how and for who?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

It’s the great hyperlink conspiracy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Harold Fjord posted:

You’ve presented basically no evidence that the people in place could’ve done any better . Your fatalistic

Harold Fjord posted:

Is in fact right because if the Republicans weren’t in charge of the state the maps wouldn’t look like that (and the reflexive of that may be true too.)

I’m unsure as to what, other than voting blue, you think anyone could do in this situation.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I don't think there's anything anyone can do except keep fighting and the Dems decided not to do that.

We can't vote blue our way out of this because the Dems just agreed with maps that will never let the state turn blue this decade.

Also evidence anyone could have done better is an impossible to meet counterfactual standard

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Harold Fjord posted:

What evidence, so far I've only seem random claims that seem to be counter to actual evidence posted by other people, perhaps you could share the sources that lead you to these conclusions?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Harold Fjord posted:

I think what he is taking issue with is:

You originally said that they supported the illegally gerrymandered maps, but they did not.

You originally said they did it to give themselves safer seats, but they did not.

You originally said that a court had already ruled on these new maps, but it had not.

You originally said it happened last night, but it was two weeks ago.

You said that the maps only passed because the Dems colluded with the Republicans, but the Republicans have 5 seats out of 7 on the commission and don't need their votes to pass.

You said that the final map was the one the court already threw out, but it was a different (slightly better) map.

You are correct that it is a bad map that they signed on to, but were not correct about most of the other details.

Harold Fjord posted:

Objectively better how and for who?

It was less extremely gerrymandered to favor Republicans. If you are using any metric other than "maximize Republican power in Ohio," then the new maps are objectively better (but, still very gerrymandered).

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The gerrymander is illegal because it is extremely unrepresentative and although these maps are not exactly the same they are still extremely unrepresentative to the point that they would be continued to be considered illegal under that standard and everything else is just you being unable to read. It happened two nights ago now, two weeks is the approximate age of the article you posted that someone used to suggest I was lying about an event that happened after the events of your article because that article did not include future events)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Harold Fjord posted:

I don't think there's anything anyone can do except keep fighting and the Dems decided not to do that.

We can't vote blue our way out of this because the Dems just agreed with maps that will never let the state turn blue this decade.

Also evidence anyone could have done better is an impossible to meet counterfactual standard

This was the final deadline before they had to lock the maps in for the next election or take it up to the new majority Republican Supreme Court. They had delayed for two years, but it was either the original maps or the slightly better ones.

I'm kind of surprised the GOP even bothered to accept it because they could have just run the timer out and gotten the original maps.

Harold Fjord posted:

The maps are functionally equivalent, massively GOP tilted.It's funny the kinds of things that require extensive sourcing versus the kinds of things that don't

One has about 12% fewer safe GOP districts and 12% more competitive districts. It's not an enormous difference, but 12% isn't the exact same and is objectively a smaller number.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
If that objectively smaller number does not cross a threshold that makes a meaningful legislative difference then it doesn't matter. If it crossed one of those thresholds the GOP wouldn't have gone along with it (does anyone need a citation on Republicans being evil here?)

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
If I ignore all the parts that were incorrect, you're totally right. 12% and 0% are the same.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Morrow posted:

If I ignore all the parts that were incorrect, you're totally right. 12% and 0% are the same.

Yeah that's totally what I said, guy who doesn't know how time works.

I like how the standard went from the difference being significant to the difference being objectively existing

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 28, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Harold Fjord posted:

If that objectively smaller number does not cross a threshold that makes a meaningful legislative difference then it doesn't matter. If it crossed one of those thresholds the GOP wouldn't have gone along with it (does anyone need a citation on Republicans being evil here?)

Both maps are almost certainly going to result in a GOP majority. One of them makes it somewhat difficult for them to get a super majority and the original made it fairly easy.

They are both bad maps overall, but one of them is slightly better. A supermajority vs simple majority is an effective difference, even if it is only relevant for a few things. Taking the old map would have been objectively worse for them.

They could maybe have risked taking it to the new state Supreme Court, but they only won by one vote last time and that swing vote retired and was replaced by a conservative Republican, so that was very likely to be a bad bet.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Seems you either are misunderstanding the situation here or just expect the impossible? What at all could those 2 Democrats done to make anything better then get the slight concession they did?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think it's worse to give a bad map a bipartisan veneer because voters care about these things even if us very smart online people know better than them

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Well, since Harold isn't helping here, I've dug deeper and found that these are not the maps that were previously ruled unconstitutional. The Ohio Supreme Court previously ruled five different maps unconstitutional, and this new map is attempt number 6.

There's also one very loving important factor that has been left out of this conversation: the makeup of the Ohio Supreme Court has changed! All of the Ohio Supreme Court's rulings against the maps were 4-3, and one of the justices that voted against the maps left the court this year (due to an age limit on Ohio judges). And while Ohio Supreme Court judges are normally elected, Ohio doesn't hold special elections for vacant seats, nor does it leave the seat vacant until the next election. Instead, the Governor of Ohio gets to appoint someone to that seat, and that appointed justice holds the seat until the next election year.

To recap, the previous Ohio Supreme Court decisions against the gerrymandered maps were all 4-3. Now one of the 4 "no" votes is off the court, and has been replaced by a Republican prosecutor chosen by Republican Governor Mike DeWine. Do you think that handpicked Republican justice is going to vote against the Republican maps?

Knowing this, it's not particularly surprising that the Ohio Dems are suddenly a lot less eager to fight these maps to the end and drag them back to the court as many times as it takes. If the newly appointed judge votes differently from his predecessor, then the Ohio GOP could very well get a blank check to gerrymander as much as they want with no restrictions at all. It's no wonder the Dems are cutting their losses and taking what they've managed to get already. Now that they can't count on the court backing them, continuing the fight could be very risky indeed.

And to put the cap on all of this, this is entirely caused by not enough people voting blue. DeWine was up for reelection a month before that Supreme Court seat opened up. If he had lost that election, then the new judge would have been appointed by a Democratic governor instead, which would have kept the Court firmly anti-gerrymandering and allowed the Dems to keep fighting the gerrymandered maps. Instead, he won handily, despite the fact that the governor is a statewide election not impacted by gerrymandering. As such, the victorious DeWine was able to install a loyalist to a key spot on the Supreme Court, breaking the core of Dems' ability to resist the gerrymandered maps. Once again, it's an example of exactly why winning elections is important!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Thanks for posting a nice summary of what Leo and I have been discussing
Because winning elections is important I think we should not be very publicly ceding this issue, let the GOP make completely insane maps and use that to try to drive turn out instead of rolling over.

Voters are not us. Our conclusions here are not their conclusions on the day-to-day and that's important when we're talking about wanting to win votes to win elections.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Please, please, just let perfect be the enemy of good this one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Harold Fjord posted:

I think it's worse to give a bad map a bipartisan veneer because voters care about these things even if us very smart online people know better than them

I mean this is fair and I think I agree, but had they refused to vote for these maps would we have gotten the (slightly) worse ones instead or just this same one with a 5-2 vote?