Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Tankbuster posted:

New Atlantis is a seamless city.

Wait, has anyone tried following the NAT line so see if it's contiguous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

Which makes it all the more confusing why the NAT doesn’t move

They can’t give an underground NPC a train hat anymore?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
You can jetpack from like, mast to the spaceport

There's a lot of elevation they try to hide from you

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Tankbuster posted:

The Well is a completely different city, of course.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

jaegerx posted:

on ng++ during ryuijin and it had me visit a place I never knew existed when I was like 50 hours in the first run. WTF. Also I think the last patch did some weird poo poo to xbox cause I'm seeing blue markers in my hud for quests that I'm not on just available and the tracker line isn't leading me to the operative I need to kill.
There's an option to simultaneously show markers for all your quests (push the Xbox "two squares" button in your journal) but I think it freaks out if you have too many quests, and will only show some of them, possibly omitting your current objective. Not sure if that latter part is a new bug because I only used the feature with a handful of quests in my log in the previous two game versions on Steam, but I did notice it not showing my current task just now with over a dozen quests and activities available.

Macichne Leainig posted:

I also wish it would load the colors your ship is currently using into the preset palette. Seems like an easy enough QOL thing to get around to
It does that but only inconsistently if you select the right parts when painting a selection of new and existing parts, it's dumb.

What always works for me with a controller, when presets don't update, is selecting new parts together with an old one you want to copy the color of, highlighting the existing part when you select the colors button, then moving one of the color sliders one step forward and back to reuse its colors on all parts.

orcane fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 28, 2023

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

jaegerx posted:

on ng++ during ryuijin and it had me visit a place I never knew existed when I was like 50 hours in the first run. WTF. Also I think the last patch did some weird poo poo to xbox cause I'm seeing blue markers in my hud for quests that I'm not on just available and the tracker line isn't leading me to the operative I need to kill.

I have this issue and it's really bad in new Atlantis because it makes me ride the stuttering monorail a lot when I don't need to and it definitely started after the patch

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Phenotype posted:

And it's ridiculous that the Novalight pistol isn't EM too, it looks just like the rifle. I thought that was their whole thing.

Is there a good way to save your ship's paint job, or to paint all the parts at once, or something? Been doing it bit by bit with the sliders is ridiculous.

There are actually other types of Novalight style guns.

I just found a shotgun called the big bang and it is one of the few amusing things i've seen in this game. Imagine the novalight but someone rigged it up to have the chassis of a rifle that fires an entire SNES cartridge of ammo (You just slot the cartridge in. If you gently caress it up by canceling the animation it'll also awkwardly hang out of it before disappearing on the next reload. No staged reloads.) worth of Novalight rounds into something.

Predictably if they all hit it just one or two taps almost anything other than multi health bar enemies who still go down fast. Getting the nozzle that focuses all the shots better means it's essentially a hyper-lethal elephant gun.

Why they didn't have goofy guns like this available earlier on in the game is beyond me. Presumably it's because the balancing is hosed and the further in you go the more you realize that you only really need a maelstrom to take out the braindead AI.

Edit: it's just that the EM disruptor is the second of the Novalight "shiny space age gun" aesthetic you're likely to get and the store stocks them together from early levels so the lamer guns just dominate the drop rate for a good portion of the game and make it seem like the EM disruptor is supposed to be a rifle scale answer to the Novalight when it isn't and it's really it's own thing.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 28, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Archonex posted:

There are actually other types of Novalight style guns.

I just found a shotgun called the big bang and it is one of the few amusing things i've seen in this game. Imagine the novalight but someone rigged it up to have the chassis of a rifle that fires an entire SNES cartridge of ammo (You just slot the cartridge in. If you gently caress it up by canceling the animation it'll also awkwardly hang out of it before disappearing on the next reload. No staged reloads.) worth of Novalight rounds into something.

Predictably if they all hit it just one or two taps almost anything other than multi health bar enemies who still go down fast. Getting the nozzle that focuses all the shots better means it's essentially a hyper-lethal elephant gun.

Why they didn't have goofy guns like this available earlier on in the game is beyond me. Presumably it's because the balancing is hosed and the further in you go the more you realize that you only really need a maelstrom to take out the braindead AI.

The Big Bang is one of the best guns.

There are at least a few silly mods you can do so the system can have some character. For example, trying to use an advanced coachman with the explosive rounds indoors.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Or take the 6-shot revolver railpistol and make it full-auto.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

The Lone Badger posted:

Or take the 6-shot revolver railpistol and make it gull-auto.

Why bother with making the pistol full auto when there's a man portable minigun version of the railgun pistol and it's ridiculous? It constantly just spews out 15-25 shots in a grid with each shot. If you can get one with DU or Armor Piercing it seems like the shots are also high explosive too. The array of barrels is so large in number that it can be hard to sight all of them down on a humanoid target.

You can buy a gun that does this at Kore Kinetics. You can get it at level 1 if you have the cash. Granted, there's nothing in the game that needs that sort of absurd firepower to take down so until modders unfuck the balance of the game and add in new enemy's that need it it's mostly just there to break the game over your knee for however long ammo lasts.

It's a shame that there's no real use for these guns since it seems like someone in development had ambitions to make them more than a victory lap around the combat gameplay loop.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 28, 2023

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Alright I just cheated myself a load of skill points and holy poo poo you can SLIDE?? Your jetpack can do DAMAGE and SLOW TIME the gently caress. Wasted all my real points in "having a spaceship".

Didn't even know you could pick pocket in the game apparently it's locked behind a skill

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The magshot does hundreds of damage per shot.
Full-auto its completely impractical since the third round goes into the ceiling and then you have to stop and reload.

\/ Take a dose of Panopticon to make the Magstorm accurate. Or just use a Magshear instead.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 28, 2023

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I picked up a Magstorm with Furious (damage increases for continuous hits) and it's ridiculous. I'm not sure why the accuracy rating is so low for the Mag- guns because my Magstorm deletes people from like 40 meters away. Also deletes ammo though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Alright I just cheated myself a load of skill points and holy poo poo you can SLIDE?? Your jetpack can do DAMAGE and SLOW TIME the gently caress. Wasted all my real points in "having a spaceship".

Didn't even know you could pick pocket in the game apparently it's locked behind a skill

I don’t know why they didn’t just make the upgrades the perks?? The system is already there with perk levels. Obviously someone trained in boost packing will do it better but are you telling me I straight up can’t figure it out until I invest a whole rear end perk? What kind of technology is this

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Macichne Leainig posted:

I don’t know why they didn’t just make the upgrades the perks?? The system is already there with perk levels. Obviously someone trained in boost packing will do it better but are you telling me I straight up can’t figure it out until I invest a whole rear end perk? What kind of technology is this

But are you licensed to operste a boost pack? Can't wear one without a license.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Tankbuster posted:

It actually is, the tram is a convenience and the map is contiguous above ground surprisingly.

Which is why it would be kinda cool to ride something like that, but alas.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Jimbot posted:

It's the best glitch. I got more attached to that little asteroid than I did any of the NPCs.

I have TWO following me around, looks like a couple of lil Space TruckNuts

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

We've discussed that all the joinable factions are cops, but has anyone drilled down any further?
Vanguard are Cops Of The Apocalypse. The neon street gang are Hobo Cops. I feel like Rangers act like Superstar Cops. I guess an undercover crimson fleet run would be Sorry Cop?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Thought this was actually a nice view then Sarah barrels in and hops the railing to uh, get a better view? Emergent gameplay!

And wow after doing a bit of the main quest then going back to the faction ones like, they really just :effort:'d the main quest didn't they

isndl
May 2, 2012

appropriatemetaphor posted:

And wow after doing a bit of the main quest then going back to the faction ones like, they really just :effort:'d the main quest didn't they

A lot of the main quest design seems to assume that you'll be hitting that NG+ button a lot, which feels like a fairly polarizing decision to me. If you're a builder who doesn't want to throw away your base with a million floor mats, I guess you just don't get to find out what the main quest could have been.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
There are parts of the main quest that are quite well done narratively like the pilgrim's story. The quests themselves are boring apart from the one with rafael.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 28, 2023

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

We've discussed that all the joinable factions are cops, but has anyone drilled down any further?
Vanguard are Cops Of The Apocalypse. The neon street gang are Hobo Cops. I feel like Rangers act like Superstar Cops. I guess an undercover crimson fleet run would be Sorry Cop?

Ryujin is Ultraliberal Cop, hustle and grindset

Constellation are like a version of Art Cop but replace Art with Science

I guess Ron Hope is sort of a poor man's Evart Claire in a way

Maltloaf
Jul 3, 2018
lol i just hit level 42 after playing a a hour or two a night. my exposure to the main plot so far has been 1. cutting rocks 2. omg its full of stars 3. hey have my ship bro 4. welcome to our explorer society wanna quest? 5. nope

quite content with my class C dreadnought chilling, helping space weirdos and robbing galbank

game is good.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

skooma512 posted:

It actually is, the tram is a convenience and the map is contiguous above ground surprisingly.

Which is why it would be kinda cool to ride something like that, but alas.

play star citizen once and you'll be cured of thinking that. having to take a real time tram ride for 3 minutes just to get back to your ship sucks after the first few times

isndl
May 2, 2012

Shipon posted:

play star citizen once and you'll be cured of thinking that. having to take a real time tram ride for 3 minutes just to get back to your ship sucks after the first few times

They could have had immersive trams in addition to the fast travel system, it doesn't have to be either/or.

It's definitely technically possible to be standing in a moving vehicle with the engine, as evidenced by the CF mission where you stand on the bridge of someone else's ship. I guess they either set up the NAT early in development and didn't want to rework it, or ran into other difficulties and chose not to work through them (load screen entering the tram like ships have?).

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

isndl posted:

as evidenced by the CF mission where you stand on the bridge of someone else's ship.

Did this last night, and it pains me that such small things are sitting right there and blocked. I like the docking anim but give me a mod that sets how often it plays. Same with external/internal liftoffs. Let me assign a pilot and kick them out of the seat if I don't trust them to fight.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

isndl posted:

They could have had immersive trams in addition to the fast travel system, it doesn't have to be either/or.

It's definitely technically possible to be standing in a moving vehicle with the engine, as evidenced by the CF mission where you stand on the bridge of someone else's ship. I guess they either set up the NAT early in development and didn't want to rework it, or ran into other difficulties and chose not to work through them (load screen entering the tram like ships have?).

its probably the same reason given for no vehicles: they don't want you physically moving too fast through the world because of their asset streaming budget. doesn't apply in space, space is easy asset wise.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I pretend to be a vehicle by setting my speedmult to 500 whenever I have to run more than about 200 meters to a planetary PoI. Asset streaming does become an issue in some biomes but I can live with it.

The furious advanced mag...shear? The mag-assault rifle I used for the late game was hilarious, it indeed deletes everything including all your ammo but I just started buying all the MI ammo types everywhere in order to sell a few guns more before vendors are out of money.

It sucks this game doesn't have reverse pickpocketing :argh:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

There are parts of the main quest that are quite well done narratively like the pilgrim's story.

Shame the way you find that story is incredibly stupid. Which, being generous, may be on purpose considering Aquilus real identity (???)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Shipon posted:

Players want, nay demand, the video gameplay replicating the real life experience of just missing your subway train by seconds then having to wait impatiently for 5 minutes until the next one comes along.

Anyone who says otherwise just doesn't understand what fun is.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
When I am a famous video game producer dressed like a rock star with fancy sunglasses and a studded leather jacket I will mandate not only real time immersive subways in every product but also fully simulated delays, breakdowns and having the video game subway too full for new passengers. Sorry you have to wait for the next one. Ooh that one's full too. Rush hour what can you do?

Version 2.0 of this will include industrial strikes without warning that last a random number of days or weeks while disabling quick loads.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Most people redesigning ships: This is the coolest ship, I am justified for thinking I am cool for making it.

Me, a space disaster: Oh no, the bathroom has been erased by a bulkhead door again.

Also it feels like some accidental lore building that Nova sells a 2x2 living quarters I am going to look into later, while Hope Tech doesn't?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 28, 2023

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

There needs to be a 3x3 crew quarters that gives everyone a small individual cabin.

And put the bathroom in the middle so it doesn't dissappear during door roulette.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I was already loving Starfield, but I was giddy as a kid when I finally got the cargo link up and running and that bigass cargo ship starts making its rounds

isndl
May 2, 2012

8one6 posted:

There needs to be a 3x3 crew quarters that gives everyone a small individual cabin.

And put the bathroom in the middle so it doesn't dissappear during door roulette.

2x1 Hygiene hab with two bathrooms in the middle. Adds one crew station.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I officially think outposts are stupid and too much of a pain in the rear end to ever interact with

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Should have been a spacestation builder, Spacebase 76 / Starfieldtopia

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Retrowave Joe posted:

I was already loving Starfield, but I was giddy as a kid when I finally got the cargo link up and running and that bigass cargo ship starts making its rounds

Do you get crew that pilot it and is it able to be seen in the universe? Given how they've removed the seamless world I figured it was just a fluff feature and there isn't any emergent gameplay there. Fallout 4 made it neat in that you could see your convoys moving through the world and if you equipped them well enough they could plow through a surprising amount of stuff.

Also, have they fixed the bug where some people are seeing all their saves get deleted if they consoled or modded except for unmodded or ones that didn't use the console? I'm not touching mods or the console on a long term set of saves until I know that is fixed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The funny bit about the super-advanced cutting-edge techbro MAG weapons... is that they've been specifically placed in hundred-year-old undisturbed caches. Not even as a levelled-list thing, hand-placed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Archonex posted:

Do you get crew that pilot it and is it able to be seen in the universe? Given how they've removed the seamless world I figured it was just a fluff feature and there isn't any emergent gameplay there. Fallout 4 made it neat in that you could see your convoys moving through the world and if you equipped them well enough they could plow through a surprising amount of stuff.

I’m not sure but I’ll check next time I play. They make pretty frequent deliveries while you’re puttering around your outpost.