Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Baronjutter posted:

This is absolutely not the writers were thinking, but it's a very well thought out excuse and I like it.

I'm like 90% sure there's a name for this kind of thing, where people come up with convoluted justifications/explanations for narrative oversights (parsecs are a measure of distance and not time, but 12 parsecs is impressive because Han was able to fly closer to a black hole!), but I can't think of what it might be called right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

This is absolutely not the writers were thinking, but it's a very well thought out excuse and I like it.

Death of the author works a lot in Star Wars.

I dont buy it though. Vader was trying to take out the Rebellion and knew Han and Leia were useful so he screwed with their hyperdrive when they landed, not in the middle of his lightsaber fight.

He just wanted them in the end, and then sensed Luke was alive at the very end. Finding out he was alive and actually meeting him changed him and brought out the Anakin in him in the next movie. But nah, there weren't adjustments made during the battle. The Stormtroopers (and Boba) guided Luke to Vader, then his plan was to talk to him or freeze him and nothing else.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

404notfound posted:

I'm like 90% sure there's a name for this kind of thing, where people come up with convoluted justifications/explanations for narrative oversights (parsecs are a measure of distance and not time, but 12 parsecs is impressive because Han was able to fly closer to a black hole!), but I can't think of what it might be called right now

It's a no-prize!

Nerds used to write letters in to Marvel with convoluted explanations for questions that other nerds had asked in that same letters section, and they would actually send out a physical no-prize to them.

(The envelope was, of course, completely empty)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

404notfound posted:

fanwank

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

Star Wars is inherently goofy.

Nah. Star Wars can be a little silly and a little goofy but 95% of the designs of aliens and characters in the OT kick rear end. Thrawn looks like blue elon musk. Just a blue man. Idk maybe they should’ve gotten an actor that had more interesting look instead of getting the voice actor

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
A blue man with red eyes is literally what he's supposed to look like

I agree the actor is reminiscent of Mush but that's a weird thing to get hung up on

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Inherently the design isn’t good. I don’t like the Star Wars eu in any era

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I turn on the new Star Wars show. A guy who has some features in common with Elon musk comes on the screen. I immediately start frothing at the mouth and get the most turgid erection of my life. Am I angry? Attracted? Either way I am physically incapable of paying attention to the show, I have zero self control and if anything ever looks like another thing my body does not cooperate

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Star Wars literally had a stupid looking devil costume in the first movie and people are complaining about a blue guy. It's either bizarro world or some weird built in biases people haven't gotten in touch with yet.

I'll acknowledge that I personally have a bias that it's Mads Mikklesons brother, so it's funny that the guy that designed the Death Star was directly against his brother who was on the opposite side project.

Whichbis also as funny as Pullo and Vorenus stunt casting as being opposite Mandalorians, and then Pullo being beaten by Sabine in Rebels for the Darksaber and then her giving up to him as a different character in Ahsoka.

But thats just funny background stuff that I think is "cute" while watching.

Darko fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 28, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I turn on the new Star Wars show. A guy who has some features in common with Elon musk comes on the screen. I immediately start frothing at the mouth and get the most turgid erection of my life. Am I angry? Attracted? Either way I am physically incapable of paying attention to the show, I have zero self control and if anything ever looks like another thing my body does not cooperate

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

My wife finds me in the morning. She asks me what happened. I only have the energy left to open x (formerly twitter). She calls 911

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Old Thrawn: weird EU blue vampire man with red eyes

Rebels Thrawn: same but younger, really pushing the dracula look

Live Action Thrawn: blue Elon Musk

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I wish all the live action Rebels characters had big cgi eyes like Alita Battle Angel, for accuracy

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I think Thrawn should’ve been more of a Chad in general… handsome, cocky, successful with women. If he were more of an alpha I’d enjoy this show much more

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

maybealabia posted:

I wish all the live action Rebels characters had big cgi eyes like Alita Battle Angel, for accuracy
Eh, their eyes aren't that big in Rebels

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Devil guy looks cool as hell. So does hammerhead and that stupid monkey.

I love that poo poo.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Darko posted:

Star Wars literally had a stupid looking devil costume in the first movie and people are complaining about a blue guy. It's either bizarro world or some weird built in biases people haven't gotten in touch with yet.

Star wars fans literally had a collective aneurysm when the guy in a $5 Wolfman mask was replaced from the cantina. Lol

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Assepoester posted:

they look a little bigger than alita's

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Assepoester posted:

I lol'd at chopper being included ngl

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Janky practical effects ftw. You got no money find a cool solution

My favorite thing about Star Wars is how kitbashed the entire world is. Lightsabers are camera flash bulbs, Hans gun is a modified ww2 pistol. It owns.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

My favorite cantina aliens are the ones that look like roswell aliens but one has gigantic rubber hands and one has normal human hands.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I had a toy of him and he indeed ruled.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

TIP posted:

they look a little bigger than alita's

Not compared to anime Alita

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Assepoester posted:

Not compared to anime Alita

no one was talking about anime

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

TIP posted:

Rebels Characters : Live Action Rebels Characters :: Anime Alita : Live Action Alita

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My god Sabine is the worse character ever. Her personality loving sucks and her fighting style is so clunky.

In the last episode the way she was fighting all those no name bandits reminded me of someone who bought a max lvl boost in world of Warcraft but doesn’t know how to actually play their class so all they do is auto attack and face tank everything while occasionally using a skill when they keyboard mash it by pure coincidence. Plus this person paid real money for some raid boosts so they have max level purple raid gear so they don’t die. Like she has literal plot armor being able to survive a shot to the back and and elbow to the face multiple times.

And like what is ezras’s deal? I’m a non cartoon watcher so I was led to believe he was this awesome Jedi but he’s kind of a dumbfuck? My guy you’re being surrounded by 20 goons pick up a loving weapon ffs.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
You seem fun

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Boris Galerkin posted:

And like what is ezras’s deal? I’m a non cartoon watcher so I was led to believe he was this awesome Jedi but he’s kind of a dumbfuck? My guy you’re being surrounded by 20 goons pick up a loving weapon ffs.

The episode absolutely nailed his personality. He was a goofball street kid who fell in with a group of rebels and found out he could use the force.

He wasn't super powerful (outside of maybe his connection to animals, which is how the whole Space Whale thing happened).

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Thrawn looked weird to me at the start, but this was mostly because I had pictured him for many years as he was depicted in Tie Fighter / various illustrations, which is well dressed / generic handsome man look.

Him being decidedly more... Musk-ish and portly in real life was odd at first, but really, it would be the case for any kind of live action adaption, there's only so much you can do with the established template of blue face / red eyes without going crazy on prosthetics - which would probably cause even more complaints.

No issues with the guys performance though, I thought it fit great with how I remembered him from the books, and it's nice to see an atypical star wars villain. I understand it's the same actor as the cartoon show, which is also a nice continuation for that guy / fans of Rebels.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TIP posted:

Star Wars is anime.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Darko posted:

Finding out he was alive and actually meeting him changed him and brought out the Anakin in him in the next movie.

Vader: I am going to react to all of this in the most stupid and dramatic way possible.
Palpatine: Now THAT'S the Anakin I remember! :love:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

CelticPredator posted:

Janky practical effects ftw. You got no money find a cool solution

My favorite thing about Star Wars is how kitbashed the entire world is. Lightsabers are camera flash bulbs, Hans gun is a modified ww2 pistol. It owns.

Speaking of lightsabers, has anyone else noticed how weirdly close to the blade all the characters in this hold their lightsabers?

You're gonna burn your fingers off!!!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

That's the one :tipshat:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

skasion posted:

Getting punked by the natives is exactly what you would expect Luke Skywalker to do. He got punked by Tuskens, he got punked by wampa which I’m pretty sure isn’t even intelligent

It's an improvement from killing all the natives, even the younglings.

Am I the only one wondering if Baylan in the last episode will get to the Vault of Evil in a Can, say something portentous, open the vault, discover it's empty and notice graffiti that reads "Ezra waz here?" I can't help but think that as well as this actor is nailing Ezra's character, there's something a little off about him.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I'm sure he'll look off into the distance, quietly.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

After watching Rebels and Andor, I was looking forward to Ahsoka, but now I can't help but feel like we're one episode from the end of the series and it still feels like the show is still trying to wrap up Act 1 of a much longer series

Act 2: 2 Thrawn 2 Furious, returns to the classic galaxy, reveal of the mysterious cargo, massive destruction, New Republic in chaos, the reunited crew of the Ghost manages to get out but suffers some casualties somehow. All the Empire sympathizers come out to support Thrawn

Act 3: dawn of the First Order, Ghost is part of raggedy-rear end Resistance fleet, blah blah blah they destroy Thrawn but that produces a power vacuum that allows the rise of Kylo or something. I didn't really follow the new film trilogy and don't know any EU so this may conflict, but some kind of reckoning of the "we just want the old republic back" ideology of the New Republic seems warranted. it sounds like people would rather retcon anyways

it doesn't sound like more seasons are going to happen, and I don't know if the show can even pull it off based on how it's done worldbuilding so far.

in terms of the actual episodes of Ahsoka so far; I agree with the criticisms posted earlier about the motivations of the antagonists and the lack of stakes because we know almost nothing about society under the New Republic.

The best I can understand it is that seems like some people want to "Make the Empire Great Again" by bringing back Thrawn using space magic. The 5 minutes of hinting there are imperial sympathizers was a tantalizing hint, and I would've happily traded runtime for a side plot about how society has changed for different groups of people instead of random dockworkers committing suicide by Jedi. I think that kind of motivation could've easily led to "this group of dispossessed people want to bring back Thrawn, the most competent and effective fascist who would return them to power and influence" instead of "mysterious space witch wants to bring back Thrawn for ??"

I guess I went in wishing that the show followed in Andor's footsteps of shifting the franchise towards ideological depth, material conditions, and emotional realism since it was taking characters from Rebels -- a storyline and set of backstories very much paralleling parts of Andor -- into live action, but instead we got something else

I want more Andor :sadpeanut:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I hope Andor season 2 is so loving awful that it retroactively ruins your experience of season 1 and even somehow makes you appreciate Solo.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Marsupial Ape posted:

I hope Andor season 2 is so loving awful that it retroactively ruins your experience of season 1 and even somehow makes you appreciate Solo.

haha joke's on you I like solo (but mostly for the soundtrack and for the 30 second Elgar-esque rendition of the imperial march, :swoon: John Powell)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ayFAqdRgf3E

though I wouldn't put it past Disney (or any production company) to fumble critically acclaimed series

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 28, 2023

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

corona familiar posted:

After watching Rebels and Andor, I was looking forward to Ahsoka, but now I can't help but feel like we're one episode from the end of the series and it still feels like the show is still trying to wrap up Act 1 of a much longer series

Act 2: 2 Thrawn 2 Furious, returns to the classic galaxy, reveal of the mysterious cargo, massive destruction, New Republic in chaos, the reunited crew of the Ghost manages to get out but suffers some casualties somehow. All the Empire sympathizers come out to support Thrawn

Act 3: dawn of the First Order, Ghost is part of raggedy-rear end Resistance fleet, blah blah blah they destroy Thrawn but that produces a power vacuum that allows the rise of Kylo or something. I didn't really follow the new film trilogy and don't know any EU so this may conflict, but some kind of reckoning of the "we just want the old republic back" ideology of the New Republic seems warranted. it sounds like people would rather retcon anyways

it doesn't sound like more seasons are going to happen, and I don't know if the show can even pull it off based on how it's done worldbuilding so far.

in terms of the actual episodes of Ahsoka so far; I agree with the criticisms posted earlier about the motivations of the antagonists and the lack of stakes because we know almost nothing about society under the New Republic.

The best I can understand it is that seems like some people want to "Make the Empire Great Again" by bringing back Thrawn using space magic. The 5 minutes of hinting there are imperial sympathizers was a tantalizing hint, and I would've happily traded runtime for a side plot about how society has changed for different groups of people instead of random dockworkers committing suicide by Jedi. I think that kind of motivation could've easily led to "this group of dispossessed people want to bring back Thrawn, the most competent and effective fascist who would return them to power and influence" instead of "mysterious space witch wants to bring back Thrawn for ??"

I guess I went in wishing that the show followed in Andor's footsteps of shifting the franchise towards ideological depth, material conditions, and emotional realism since it was taking characters from Rebels -- a storyline and set of backstories very much paralleling parts of Andor -- into live action, but instead we got something else

I want more Andor :sadpeanut:

In defense of Ahsoka, what has Dave Filoni ever done that led you to believe that this show was going to have any ideological depth? If nothing else Filoni is pretty adept at utilizing the aesthetics of Star Wars without really having the writing chops to say anything meaningful.

This show is more or less everything I expected it to be, I just wished Dave was a better writer because the pacing of these episodes is really bad and there’s about 10 too many lingering shots of people looking pensive or forlorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

corona familiar posted:

haha joke's on you I like solo (but mostly for the soundtrack and for the 30 second Elgar-esque rendition of the imperial march, :swoon: John Powell)

Filoni, Kiner, and Rebels did something similar as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TouCl6yp13A

Kevin Kiner been doing more good work on Ahsoka, if nothing else.