Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Labour weren't openly targeting "inner-city" criminals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

nz doesn't have inner cities tho?

or are they saying 600 police are going to be standing around on the three block city-themed lengths of queen st and lambton quay?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

and whatever the streets in christchurch and hamilton are

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i can't believe hipkins staged a shooting on lincoln road to win the election

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Content to Hover posted:

Labour weren't openly targeting "inner-city" criminals.

I love it when American racist dog whistles are copy pasted straight into our discourse without even a token effort at localisation

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

its also from like the 80s-90s, back before urban areas were all expensive and gentrified

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah they should definitely target the criminals in Ponsonby

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
who has the best education policy

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
ACTs latest ad served to me had me baffled.

Introduce standardized tests for primary schoolers -> ??? -> Prevent skilled workers from moving to Australia.

Logical reasoning, how does it work.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

echinopsis posted:

who has the best education policy

The Greens, but they wouldn't get to put any of it into place even if labour/greens/TPM managed to win somehow.

Labour's policy is basically just to continue with their education work programme which is ok, I think the curriculum refresh is good in theory but not pitched right for classroom teachers. The common practice model they want to bring in for language and literacy and maths could be good but they haven't released anything other than the guiding values yet.

National's policy is bad in a pretty similar way to the previous National govt, basically trying to use accountability (via testing) and competition to make teachers do their jobs better, without any understanding of what teachers need in order to do their jobs better, or what effect that competition and accountability has on teaching and curriculum (it's bad). I'm sure National will continue with most of Labour's work programme too, though.

ACT actively wants to burn the public education system to the ground so that businesses can make profits off its corpse. I expect that they'll at least get charter schools brought back which isn't the end of the world, I'd be really surprised if National agrees on their voucher system that would spell the end for quality public education in NZ.

NZF don't have any broad education policy but will probably insist on some specific terf poo poo around bathrooms and sex ed that National will have to give them if they're needed for a coalition.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Ghostlight posted:

and whatever the streets in christchurch and hamilton are

a cop every 80cm in the octagon in dunedin

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Had some Labour guy knock on my door the other day and apparently there is an election this year or something. Who is the least jerk to vote for?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
New Conservative

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Freedom party

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Cool, I'll flip a coin to choose the winner on the day. Cheers.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vapor Moon posted:

Had some Labour guy knock on my door the other day and apparently there is an election this year or something. Who is the least jerk to vote for?

Have a look here, it'll give you some idea:
https://votecompass.tvnz.co.nz/nz2023

And then once you've done that ignore the results and go and vote either for the green party or te pāti māori

If you live in Auckland central, Wellington central, or maybe Rongotai then vote for the green party candidate as your local MP, everywhere else go for Labour

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 27, 2023

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
The vote compass is useless at best and telling people they're an NZ First supporter at worst. I've been pointing people to policy.nz during my volunteer work.

It's good, it's objective and it's simple to understand. It allows people to engage on a deeper level with politics by enabling them to connect the dots between government policy and what the parties will actually do for the country.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
If a website tells someone that they're an x supporter based on frankly a glorified personality test with the quality of some of those questions, and they use that alone to guide their voting, they've completely failed to engage with politics on any meaningful level.

Policy needs to be the entry point, and the vast majority of people that take the compass quiz aren't going to look any further than the result.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
personality tests are good

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Tried to read TPM's full health policy PDF they link to on their website but google says they have put the PDF in their google drive bin lmao

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

bike tory posted:

If you live in Auckland central, Wellington central, or maybe Rongotai then vote for the green party candidate as your local MP, everywhere else go for Labour

Why wouldn't I vote for a green candidate in the remutaka electorate? I like the greens more than labour. I do not understand voting tactically

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

klen dool posted:

Why wouldn't I vote for a green candidate in the remutaka electorate? I like the greens more than labour. I do not understand voting tactically

100 votes

40 for nat seat

35 for labour seat

15 for green

10 for act

Switching from green to labour increases the odds for labour, where a vote for green is almost certainly not going to get them in power

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Switching from green to labour increases the odds for labour, where a vote for green is almost certainly not going to get them in power

This isn't first past the post, you understand that voting for minority parties is good under MMP, right?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
It also makes Labour think "see? We won that seat without giving anything up to the Greens, therefore we are on the correct course".

e: that's to comrade byatlov

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Serephina posted:

This isn't first past the post, you understand that voting for minority parties is good under MMP, right?

electorates are first past the post

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Serephina posted:

the electorate seat goes to whoever gets the most votes because you can't run a mixed-member proportional election for a single member position.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Which is why electorate votes should be changed to STV

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

cptn_dr posted:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

cptn_dr posted:

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

klen dool posted:

Why wouldn't I vote for a green candidate in the remutaka electorate?

Mostly because they aren't standing one, so we gotta vote for your school pickup mate

E: oh, looks like the list has updated since I last checked. Hooray!

VVV yeah, it's a real dogman situation, they could but they're cowards

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 27, 2023

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Ghostlight posted:

the electorate seat goes to whoever gets the most votes because you can't run a mixed-member proportional election for a single member position.

You mean that you can't currently do so in a medically safe and ethical way. That's not quite the same as "can't".

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thanks for this

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Rad okay party vote green and hold my nose and vote for chippy

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
an old labour rug i've got on my wall. apparently feltex made 20 to show off their digital rug printing tech in 1984, and gave one to each of these ministers

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can't believe chuck norris was in the labour party

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

those numbers are not the numbers i would have expected to see if i had guessed what numbers i would see

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Not happy at all with the claim that NZ doesn't have an "actual" art and culture scene. Underfunded, yes, but there's a lot of amazing work happening here.

Bad meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beartaco posted:

Not happy at all with the claim that NZ doesn't have an "actual" art and culture scene. Underfunded, yes, but there's a lot of amazing work happening here.

Bad meme.

This is what the perfect being the enemy of the good looks like