Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I wanted to do a magic mirror earlier in the year, but now I'm worried about the configuration side. I can handle the hardware and wiring no problem. I just always seem to run out of steam putting something useful on the screen. I guess mostly worried about maintaining the calendar integrations.

Anyone built one and still use it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I would suspect at minimum that someone has a pretty easily configurable framework in place to customize things to your liking or there is just a project you can download that has most of that ready to roll out of the box. Now that I’ve started dabbling in HA I really should come back to that and set something up.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
https://magicmirror.builders/

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Yeah that's the one I was looking at, just checking to see if anyone tried it and had a strong opinion. It looks like a large time sink to get set up.

Another project I'm still working on is the Birdnet Pi project. I was looking to see if there's a way to use an I2S mic (adafruit sph0645) and a pico W to make a wireless RSTP streamer mic. It would really cool to use a small solar setup to put a mic up in a tree in the backyard.

I don't know anything about the software involved. It seems like just running the mic takes most of the Pico's oomph. There's a couple C++ uf2 projects that convert it into a USB mic (super quiet)

Since RTSP streams media and the pico isn't a powerhouse here I don't think there's even a proof of concept RTSP server tutorial. Too bad it can't just encapsulate the I2S data and forward it to the Pi for processing.

I suppose since zero 2Ws are appearing again that's the logical platform choice to play with as a non-programmer.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Any recommendations for simple-to-use but slick-looking IoT data logging services?

Short version is I have an old Pi that’ll be collecting data from a few temperature probes on a thing over the winter. I want to send that data somewhere that’ll display it nicely, mobile friendly, maybe a few minor transformations, but basically just three line graphs.

I could just send it to a Google sheet or something but if there’s a friendlier UI for actually monitoring the data dashboard style, that’d be cool.

I’m sure this is a solved problem, just curious if there are community favorites.

e: I want to spend $0

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 21, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think Adafruit's IO thing may do the trick, it's okay. Not quite as shiny Web 2.0 as I was looking for and the data retention is fairly short (30 days) but it's up and running with very minimal fuss.

I think this'll work well enough:
https://io.adafruit.com/gshort/dashboards/fish-temps?kiosk=true

The Pi is currently just generating random data instead of actual readings because I am short one ADC but that'll be here Friday.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 21, 2023

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah, that's what I would have suggested too. I've used it before, and it's a nice service. But even better, is that it's built on MQTT, and open protocol. That means that it's super easy to, down the line, migrate to another service, or even your own server, maybe running on another Raspberry Pi

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Azure IoT Hub has a free tier but for what you want and the hardware you're using the Adafruit service looks tailor made for you

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Okay, well this looks cool.
Time to fire up the Pi again I guess :cheers:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

This looks really awesome but what hardware are they showing other than a raspberry pi?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like magic mirror is just a node.js/electron app rendered in chrome. So any device that can run chrome at like 4fps and output HDMI (or show a chromium window via some kind of pinout to a ~640x480+ LCD screen) ought to work

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

tuyop posted:

This looks really awesome but what hardware are they showing other than a raspberry pi?

At first glance the website seems weirdly determined to not answer any question about what a magic mirror actually is beyond the Pi's software, but a quick search found this more straightforward explanation:

https://www.raspberrypi.com/tutorials/how-to-build-a-super-slim-smart-mirror/

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Super Foul Egg posted:

At first glance the website seems weirdly determined to not answer any question about what a magic mirror actually is beyond the Pi's software, but a quick search found this more straightforward explanation:

https://www.raspberrypi.com/tutorials/how-to-build-a-super-slim-smart-mirror/

I, too, was curious about that. Thanks for digging this up!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Looking at the photos a lot of them seem to be really poo poo mirrors because they're way too dark

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

All done. Went from this:

To this:

Pretty minimal circuit, just a handful of voltage dividers and an ADC, all on headers since this is a temporary thing just until spring.

Not my finest work on the back but I just need it to work. Beep tested everything and it seems to be working fine.

Ended up adding a fourth header/probe because the ADC had the channel for it so why not. Just needs a box and we’re good to go!

Oh, and the final dashboard, with the added probe: https://io.adafruit.com/gshort/dashboards/fish-temps?kiosk=true

The io.adafruit thing is certainly working, although the dashboards are roughly 0% mobile friendly.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 24, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

All buttoned up and ready to go!

About as autonomous as can be. Just plug it into power and it starts reporting temperatures to the web within a minute or two at most. Just what I need it to do. Severely over-specced for the job, as all things should be.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Pi 5 is coming in October
https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-5/

• Broadcom BCM2712 2.4GHz quad-core 64-bit Arm Cortex-A76 CPU, with cryptography extensions, 512KB per-core L2 caches and a 2MB shared
  • L3 cache
  • VideoCore VII GPU, supporting OpenGL ES 3.1, Vulkan 1.2
  • Dual 4Kp60 HDMI® display output with HDR support
  • 4Kp60 HEVC decoder
  • LPDDR4X-4267 SDRAM (4GB and 8GB SKUs available at launch)
  • Dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi®
  • Bluetooth 5.0 / Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
  • microSD card slot, with support for high-speed SDR104 mode
  • 2 × USB 3.0 ports, supporting simultaneous 5Gbps operation
  • 2 × USB 2.0 ports
  • Gigabit Ethernet, with PoE+ support (requires separate PoE+ HAT)
  • 2 × 4-lane MIPI camera/display transceivers
  • PCIe 2.0 x1 interface for fast peripherals (requires separate M.2 HAT or other adapter)
  • 5V/5A DC power via USB-C, with Power Delivery support
  • Raspberry Pi standard 40-pin header
  • Real-time clock (RTC), powered from external battery
  • Power button

Looks like Phoronix got one early and ran some benchmarks:
https://www.phoronix.com/review/raspberry-pi-5-benchmarks

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That’s a $60-70 part then

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What is the RP1-C0 thing they talk about at the end of the video?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

finally a power button!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Price isn't as high as I was expecting

https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-5

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

$60 for the 4GB $80 for the 8GB - efb-

Greeling"s video has more details

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

finally they're breaking out some pcie lanes so you can put a real SSD on it

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Huh, I wonder why they handled different RAM sizes this way.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Raygereio posted:

Huh, I wonder why they handled different RAM sizes this way.

Presumably they called their board hardware manufacturer and asked which option is the cheapest. Between that or variable stencils or something.

And like that the only difference in manufacturing between sizes is the populating robot, while other options would require modifying a different production step also.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I was wondering more why a jumper like that is necessary at all. But I guess the bootloader isn't capable of detecting RAM size?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not a jumper, it's the cheapest way of indicating what RAM is on the board, no need to modify the silkscreen.

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..
According to Geerling's video the jumper isn't functional. It's just an indicator to the user to see the amount of installed ram at a glance. That's kinda clever.

efb, lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm going to sell a service clearly advertised as moving the surface mount resistor from wherever it is currently located to the 8GB position, making no references to the system memory.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

It's not a jumper, it's the cheapest way of indicating what RAM is on the board, no need to modify the silkscreen.
It's a 0Ω SMD resistor that's used here as a jumper right? Or am I mixing up my terminology?

Edit:

aeiou posted:

According to Geerling's video the jumper isn't functional. It's just an indicator to the user to see the amount of installed ram at a glance. That's kinda clever.
Oh, I completely misunderstood what it was then. There is a trace going from one end of the "memory" SMD solder connections to the chip, so I thought it would have a function.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 28, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

What is the RP1-C0 thing they talk about at the end of the video?

a custom I/O chip which runs the USBs, ethernet and GPIOs

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Raygereio posted:

It's a 0Ω SMD resistor that's used here as a jumper right? Or am I mixing up my terminology?

Edit:

Oh, I completely misunderstood what it was then. There is a trace going from one end of the "memory" SMD solder connections to the chip, so I thought it would have a function.

It looks like it's pulling something down to ground through it, but every position it could go in is the same. So it probably serves a purpose but the location doesn't change anything.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

repiv posted:

finally they're breaking out some pcie lanes so you can put a real SSD on it

Kinda annoying that you need an additional accessory hat to use it, rather than a m.2 slot on the back of the board like pretty much every pi-clone has done. Like, I don't know how they're possibly going to fit the heatsink plus a m.2 hat and a normal pi GPIO hat on there at once.

repiv posted:

a custom I/O chip which runs the USBs, ethernet and GPIOs

Wonder if that's attached to the CPU via PCIe? Which brings up an interesting possibility: a raspberry pi GPIO accessory board for normal computers.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Kinda annoying that you need an additional accessory hat to use it, rather than a m.2 slot on the back of the board like pretty much every pi-clone has done. Like, I don't know how they're possibly going to fit the heatsink plus a m.2 hat and a normal pi GPIO hat on there at once.

the official m.2 hat passes through the GPIOs but yeah a heatsink/fan isn't going to do much with this in the way

also the m.2 hat has to replicate the SWD/UART/fan interfaces since it blocks them otherwise, very awkward

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

repiv posted:

the official m.2 hat passes through the GPIOs but yeah a heatsink/fan isn't going to do much with this in the way

also the m.2 hat has to replicate the SWD/UART/fan interfaces since it blocks them otherwise, very awkward

Cripes it can't fit a 2280?

:negative:

The model B form factor is 85mm long. That m.2 is offset enough that a 2280 will stick out past the end of the USB jacks. Aargh, you had one job!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Feels like the pi deserves a form factor change, poke the GPIO pins through the backside or something. Or I guess people can start using ribbon cables if it causes problems.

Or maybe taller hats that leave a bigger airgap above the chips.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Cripes it can't fit a 2280?

:negative:

The model B form factor is 85mm long. That m.2 is offset enough that a 2280 will stick out past the end of the USB jacks. Aargh, you had one job!

third party case manufacturers can build something that accommodates a 2280 at least

per jeff geerlings video the PCIe header is officially only rated for 2.0x1 but the hardware can do 3.0x1 and that can be enabled with a boot flag at your own risk

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
It looks like the actual PCIe signaling is on that front ribbon connector, so I think there will be room for alternative configurations rather than just the official HAT. Obviously any design that intends to remain compatible with the original formfactor is going to have to make compromises, and the official design seems to be optimized for cellular cards or the small M.2 SSDs that are now becoming widely available thanks to Steam Deck and the like.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

cellular cards wouldn't work with that hat, those are B key

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

repiv posted:

Below that picture is "Prototype M.2 HAT. Final hardware will not look like this."