Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The usual crowd that appears to fall on the sword for every #cancelled microcelebrity is out for this Brianna Wu thing and I feel like I'm going insane or just getting old. "Everyone is in a hideously toxic group chat" and "if you're not undersocialized and chronically online you would know that this is just how friends talk to each other"...is everyone just the Joker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

CBD Corndog posted:

Jim Ryan is quitting

Finally, there might be a PS5 exclusive I’m excited for that isn’t made by Square Enix

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

The usual crowd that appears to fall on the sword for every #cancelled microcelebrity is out for this Brianna Wu thing and I feel like I'm going insane or just getting old. "Everyone is in a hideously toxic group chat" and "if you're not undersocialized and chronically online you would know that this is just how friends talk to each other"...is everyone just the Joker?

No, that is just how bigots pretend they're not bigots

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its one thing to make some edgy jokes you probably wouldnt tweet out, or make fun of people, or whatever. its another thing to rant in group DMs about how Pronouns are Too Much or lay down edicts on what being trans should be. like those arent jokes those are just your sincere opinions.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'this person i dont like is an ugly loving idiot' is normal. 'this person i dont like is a transvestite with a humiliation fetish who isnt a real trans person' is revealing of your character.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Sometimes with these controversies that appear out of leaked group chats it is occasionally unclear if the person is an active participant or just a ignorant associate. I typically try and read them with charity and not jump to any conclusions.

I just can't with this one. The idea of mocking someone's appearance like that is so loving disgusting.

fake edit:

Endorph posted:

'this person i dont like is an ugly loving idiot' is normal. 'this person i dont like is a transvestite with a humiliation fetish who isnt a real trans person' is revealing of your character.

I was trying to figure out what the difference is between making fun of this person (who I don't recognize and don't feel the need to identify since it would only extend their public humiliation) and (for example) making fun of Wu's appearance or making fun of some manosphere dipshit's appearance, and this subtext is one way to extract that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I can only speak for myself that while I'm in a bunch of different variably open and closed online spaces, none of them are the kind of environment where the participants would even consider that sort of discussion about any group.Like, I don't feel any need or pressure, nor do I participate in spaces where, targeting these elements of an outgroup is part of the group social conduct. It's just not a thing that occurs to the people involved. From the outside, it's a weird loving impulse to indulge in. "edgy jokes" spaces seem to be a code for people socializing around the cognitive dissonance emerging from the least pleasant, least examined parts of their psyches.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 28, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sega-Sammy have put out a notice to investors stating that Creative Assembly's co-op extraction shooter Hyenas and "some unannounced titles" being developed in Europe have been cancelled "in response to the lower profitability of the European region". Hyenas had a closed test lately where it was... not liked, to put it politely, and even before then the nicest reaction anyone was able to conjure up for it was vague indifference.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I can only speak for myself that while I'm in a bunch of different variably open and closed online spaces, none of them are the kind of environment where the participants would even consider that sort of discussion about any group.Like, I don't feel any need or pressure, nor do I participate in spaces where, targeting these elements of an outgroup is part of the group social conduct. It's just not a thing that occurs to the people involved. From the outside, it's a weird loving impulse to indulge in. "edgy jokes" spaces seem to be a code for people socializing around the cognitive dissonance emerging from the least pleasant, least examined parts of their psyches.
i mean when i say 'edgy jokes' i do not mean that, i just mean making dark humor out of my own experiences as a trans person or w/e. theres stuff that plays fine when you're in a specific group of specific people with specific experiences that might read weird if they were taken out of context. i do not mean 'randomly insulting trans people or gay people or w/e'

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Just lol at Brianna Wu mocking anyone's appearance

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
e: oh I had entirely the wrong person disregard this

Raylax fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 28, 2023

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

This got shared with me this morning and I can practically feel the slime coming off the world "Normally".

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Raylax posted:

lol Brianna Wu. I only first heard of her when she tried to get linus cancelled for making sexual demands in exchange for collaborations that he immediately proved never happened, like his wife is literally CC'd on the email chain where discussing the collab took place. There was an initial brief misunderstanding about linus asking to meet at the hotel, by which he meant lobby, and with other crew members present, which was immediately cleared up - in an email chain that includes his wife - and then brianna ghosts a while after and some years later attempts to spin a story about how "Linus 100% thought I was going to suck his dick for access to Floatplane". Linus produces all the receipts, Brianna disappears behind a locked Twitter account with weak excuses until the storm clears.

To be clear on two things, no I'm not a fan of Linus either, and it's worth noting that his company currently has an investigation ongoing regarding allegations made by former employee Madison, which include sexual harassment by senior members (Linus himself isn't named in the allegations but he was CEO at the time, so he's at best ignorant of the culture that exists in his own company). And secondly, believe women! When Brianna's claims first came up, like yeah of course I believed her over the powerful (in youtube techspace celebrity terms) tech tips man because we've seen this poo poo so many times happen for real, and you should when these things come up. I believe Madison, and will until it's undeniably proven false, which I currently have no reason to believe will happen. But attempting to weaponise that position for personal gain or to ruin someone else's life with outright lies is real gross, actually, not just for linus' sake (although I don't want to downplay how gross it is to attempt to ruin someone's life and career with false allegations), but because it makes coming forward with and being believed for real abuse allegations harder for women who've actually gone through it. Incredibly garbage behaviour.

Transphobic too? Real surprising to hear she's still being poo poo.

you're thinking of naomi wu. brianna never had anything to do with linus sebastian as far as i know.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
There's a pretty wide gap between morbid black humor and edgy humor that I doubt most people are mindful of if they're suddenly very concerned about Miss Wu's privacy. If the punchline is "they died!" then could be a rough chuckle. If the punchline is "I hate X group" then uh oh.

mycot posted:

"if you're not undersocialized and chronically online you would know that this is just how friends talk to each other"...is everyone just the Joker?

Most people making this argument do so in very bad faith and would not survive having their worst moments revealed without being a laundry list of slurs and n-bombs.

The Kins posted:

Sega-Sammy have put out a notice to investors stating that Creative Assembly's co-op extraction shooter Hyenas and "some unannounced titles" being developed in Europe have been cancelled "in response to the lower profitability of the European region". Hyenas had a closed test lately where it was... not liked, to put it politely, and even before then the nicest reaction anyone was able to conjure up for it was vague indifference.

This news is a rough but sensible chuckle after the recent fan backlash to Total War Warhammer 3 trying to more than double the price of their routine DLC releases and releasing a statement that "inflation is real, we might stop developing games, get over it."

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
reminds me of the big influencers defending a youtuber a few months ago by saying "everyone was using the r-, n-, and f-slur ten years ago online", to which i just ... can't imagine what it's like to only surround yourself with an environment where that feels like every single person out there to you

some of us played other games than league of legends i guess

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Arivia posted:

you're thinking of naomi wu. brianna never had anything to do with linus sebastian as far as i know.

Whoops! Entirely right. Redacted my post.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Edit: Nevermind lol

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

mutata posted:

10 years ago? No. 20 years ago? Yes.

Even then it's a bit much to say everyone was dropping n-bombs.

Like, yeah, go back and visit my middle school during recess in the 90s and you're going to hear some poo poo that would turn your hair white today. But loving no one was going with the n-word, either hard or soft r. Because even a bunch of sheltered, dumb gently caress, privileged, lily white, and atrociously monstrous in a million other ways 13 year old boys knew that if you used that word you were a loving horrible rear end in a top hat.

During the goddamned Clinton administration.

I have no idea how people are trying to retcon using THAT 10 years ago as normal.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

This person has some hot takes on how people look in a dress

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The Kins posted:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

No. 6 posted:

This person has some hot takes on how people look in a dress

this is just you doing the same thing fwiw. gently caress brianna but the whole point is attacking people for appearances sucks rear end

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Like, yeah, go back and visit my middle school during recess in the 90s and you're going to hear some poo poo that would turn your hair white today. But loving no one was going with the n-word, either hard or soft r. Because even a bunch of sheltered, dumb gently caress, privileged, lily white, and atrociously monstrous in a million other ways 13 year old boys knew that if you used that word you were a loving horrible rear end in a top hat.

I have no idea how people are trying to retcon using THAT 10 years ago as normal.

It can be a regional thing. I saw the N-word being used a lot in northern Europe in the 00's or rather, the equivalent in local languages. It was a pretty big culture shock, coming from North America.

A decade passed and then it became taboo. Wild how language can change.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Very loathed to sound to be defending the tech tips guy again but that whole thing was a podcast where he said the "hard R" was common in media in the 2000s and that he'd used it himself in the same time period, thinking it meant the slur for mental disability, and was promptly corrected by his cohost and clarified that he absolutely did not mean the n word. This entire thing happened over about 2 minutes of podcast so of course segments of the internet promptly clipped only the first minute of it sans correction.

e: citation - here's the literally the entire clip https://youtu.be/MFDiuBomSuY?si=ThJjymm9__ENmw7N

Raylax fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 28, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

It can be a regional thing. I saw the N-word being used a lot in northern Europe in the 00's or rather, the equivalent in local languages. It was a pretty big culture shock, coming from North America.

A decade passed and then it became taboo. Wild how language can change.

Ok, but speaking from a purely American perspective that word has been a loving white hot no go zone for way loving longer than ten years. Like, 40 at a minimum.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

quiggy posted:

this is just you doing the same thing fwiw. gently caress brianna but the whole point is attacking people for appearances sucks rear end

I can't roll my eyes hard enough.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://twitter.com/BrackeysTweet/status/1707381306940670323?s=20

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Good. Let Unity burn.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ok, but speaking from a purely American perspective that word has been a loving white hot no go zone for way loving longer than ten years. Like, 40 at a minimum.

I remember that word being tossed around constantly in Xbox 360 COD4 lobbies. It was extremely common among assholes for a while.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

FrumpleOrz posted:

I remember that word being tossed around constantly in Xbox 360 COD4 lobbies. It was extremely common among assholes for a while.

Yeah, the "among assholes" is key.

If someone thinks that word was normal back then they were (and likely still are) an rear end in a top hat.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the word has been extremely vulgar and unacceptable for a long time, but there was a period where it was still sometimes used for pure shock effect. it's hard to call this "acceptable" because the fact that it was used for shock effect/vulgarity implies that it already was very unacceptable, but vulgarity/swears are weird.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Using "Gay" as a prejorative was common enough when I was in highschool, as was the R word. But not even the black kids in my school used the N word, at least not within earshot of white people.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I feel like there was a period where the -a version got appropriated a lot by stupid kids trying to sound cool, but dear god the hard R is maybe the biggest no-go zone in America.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

No. 6 posted:

They're right. Knock that poo poo off

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is not at all my lived experience in suburban white America at the turn of the century, but whatever. Rose tinted glasses and the past and all that. It's not like people are going to stop eating each other over it any time soon either way, so go nuts.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

No. 6 posted:

they're right, gently caress off idiot.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

No. 6 posted:

Haha, go gently caress yourself.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
There is a longstanding rumor that Wu is trans, which has extremely politically incorrect origins from the gamergate days but is widely accepted as true among both cis and trans people I've noticed. It doesn't really matter in this case, because even a transwoman saying those things about other transwomen is completely vile, but just saying it is a little thorny to go after her appearance.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is it weird that I read about game industry stuff pretty often and have literally never heard of Brianna Wu before yesterday?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Let's spare the blue gossip about some random developer, who hasn't shipped a single game people have heard of, and stick to the Unity fallout.

In good news, the Kickstarter for the follow-up to Jimmy and Pulsating Mass, Hymn to the Earless God, just hit its funding mark with a day to go. I had to back it when I doomposted about it a few days ago.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hymntotheearlessgod/hymn-to-the-earless-god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
not to be that guy but it's true in both directions.

the use of it as a racial slur has been capital-U Unacceptable for a long time, but there absolutely was a period where, because of how vulgar it was, it was still usable for shock value, either for shock-based comedy, or because some people were of an age where if you tell them to never say a word under any circumstances, they're going to want to say it. i think the latter is what people are talking about when they go "everyone used to say it", and even those narrow windows of use is now shifted to a no-go now.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 28, 2023