Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The current environment isn't the standard one. Card scarcity is in an absurd place. The percentage of players with a 3080 or higher is pretty drat low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Recommended doesn't mean 'everything cranked to 11' setting.

It's medium/high level on setting and 3080 is ridiculous demand for that on a city builder.
Most PC-gamers don't have anything close to that.

For comparison, the new Phantom Liberty expansion for Cyberpunk 2077 has recommended GPU of 2060 super (up from base games 1060)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

MikeJF posted:

The current environment isn't the standard one. Card scarcity is in an absurd place. The percentage of players with a 3080 or higher is pretty drat low.

Colossal Order should not be designing CS2 on the great egalitarian PC ownership mindset, though. It sucks yeah but I still don’t want games gimped off the gate.

The GPU situation will relent maybe at some point.

Also 750$ will get you a 3080.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 28, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Issaries posted:

Recommended doesn't mean 'everything cranked to 11' setting.

It's medium/high level on setting and 3080 is ridiculous demand for that on a city builder.
Most PC-gamers don't have anything close to that.

For comparison, the new Phantom Liberty expansion for Cyberpunk 2077 has recommended GPU of 2060 super (up from base games 1060)

Great point!

…how dows Cyberpunk run on a 2060? Maybe they should have said a 3070.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vahakyla posted:

Colossal Order should not be designing CS2 on the great egalitarian PC ownership mindset, though.

It's a niche game that targets people who aren't traditional high-end gamers, they absolutely should. If you don't design to sell to your audience you're hosed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Is part of the simulation running on the GPU? Otherwise it might simply be a matter of draw distance and LOD, simply the number of objects on screen they want for it to look good.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

MikeJF posted:

It's a niche game that targets people who aren't traditional high-end gamers, they absolutely should. If you don't design to sell to your audience you're hosed.

This is not a niche game. Pushing 15 million copies currently on CS1.

They’ve brought in over 400 million US Dollars.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Vahakyla posted:

Games should be designed so that the recommended card is a high-ish end one?

Gently put: you guys are being bit luddity here. The game shouldn’t be designed from the drat get go to be a gimped one.

3080 is the high end card of three years ago. It absolutely is a reasonable recommendation to be the good option for the game.

It also leaves future space for graphicsl updates.

afaik a 3080 can run Cyberpunk 2077 at 1440p ultra or 1080p ultra with raytracing set to high or medium, and personally I don't think that cities skylines 2 looks quite that good

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

nielsm posted:

Is part of the simulation running on the GPU?
First question to come to my mind also.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Vahakyla posted:

Great point!

I had 1070 on release it run great on 1080p / high settings / no raytracing. 60 fps average.

Now on 3080 and 2.0 it runs great on 1440p / max/high mix settings / Raytracing. 40-50 fps average.
Without raytracing Max settings 120+ fps.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

AFAIK GPUs suck for the kind of math that they'd be running the simulation on, but if they found a way to use GPU computing for something then it requiring a 20 series card and recommending a 30 one kinda makes sense maybe.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

AFAIK GPUs suck for the kind of math that they'd be running the simulation on

Not necessarily, certain elements of agent simulation could scale really well on a GPU, it's great at that kind of parallelization where you want to process independent calculations on a bunch of separate elements at the same time. Emergent patterns from agent sims is actually one of the big use cases. I very much doubt that's what they're doing, though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 28, 2023

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Maybe the water sim. I think it's probably not going to be anything affecting game state because the latency hit to have to send all that to the GPU and then read back the results would suck.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Vahakyla posted:

Gently put: you guys are being bit luddity here. The game shouldn’t be designed from the drat get go to be a gimped one.

3080 is the high end card of three years ago. It absolutely is a reasonable recommendation to be the good option for the game.

According to the recent Steam HW surveys, there is all of 3% of players with a 3080 or 3080TI, 1% with a 3090 or ti, and sub 1% for 40x series cards in each range (4060, 4070, etc) - a total of 5-7% of players with a card >= 3080. I don't know AMD model numbers but I doubt they'll be much difference for their performance brackets. 3060 and 3070 by comparison have an almost 11% and 4% share each

For reference, Starfield claims a 2080, Darktide a 3060, Doom Eternal a 2060. 3080 recommended is pretty high on the scale.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 28, 2023

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the minimum requirement is a 970 lol you guys are getting mad over nothing

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It is recommended that players have 64-core supercomputers with an array of 4090s working in tandem, powered by the eldritch souls of comatose gods.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, anything in the 80 series is extreme high end right now. With the way that the prices for the ranges have shifted, mid end target is the 60 series, high end is the 70 series.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Vahakyla posted:

Great point!

Also the requirements studios put out aren't necessarily accurate. Cyberpunk, for example, explicitly tells you it requires a 3090/4070 minimum to run with path tracing and I'm running it just fine over here on a 3060.

I don't know why the requirements are what they are but if it's because they didn't shackle the simulation to hard limits this time, I'm here for it.

(Cyberpunk ran fine on my old 2060 too, though you couldn't do RTX)

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

What are the chances of CS2 getting DLSS/FSR? I wouldn’t mind some decreased fidelity for less GPU load.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

I mean that wholly depends on what rest of your settings are.
I more than doubled my frames, when I disabled Path tracing, on a 3080.
Even 4090 gets pushed hard if you max everything at 4k.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

nielsm posted:

Is part of the simulation running on the GPU? Otherwise it might simply be a matter of draw distance and LOD, simply the number of objects on screen they want for it to look good.

Eric the Mauve posted:

First question to come to my mind also.

That was always my thought for increasing the number of agents running for CS1. If you can run a large batch of simulation work as matrix operations, using a GPU is a really good fit.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Vahakyla posted:

Colossal Order should not be designing CS2 on the great egalitarian PC ownership mindset, though. It sucks yeah but I still don’t want games gimped off the gate.

The GPU situation will relent maybe at some point.

Also 750$ will get you a 3080.

Is that meant to make a 3080 sound accessible? $750 for a graphics card sounds pretty expensive to me! An entire playstation 5 is $500!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Buy a playstation?

I personally prefer 4K at 60fps in Cities.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vahakyla posted:

I personally prefer 4K at 60fps in Cities.

Well given that 3080 is for 1080p I hope you got a 4090.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Not to do a hardware derail, but you shouldn’t be buying a 3080 new at this point, they are out of production and Nvidia doesn’t really do discounts on old parts anymore. They are $400 used, and the roughly equivalent 4070 is $450 new.

Not cheap, but not $750.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Grand Fromage posted:

Also the requirements studios put out aren't necessarily accurate. Cyberpunk, for example, explicitly tells you it requires a 3090/4070 minimum to run with path tracing and I'm running it just fine over here on a 3060.

The recommended path tracing requirements for 1080p 30fps is what you listed, not the minimum. They don't actually have a minimum requirement other than warning you it is experimental. The point remains though that it is very strange for a game that doesn't use RT lightning to recommend a 3080 for merely a 1080p experience. The very best cards available for the market right only beat the 3080 by around 75% better than the 3080 suggesting that a 4k experience isn't even in reach.

What performance level recommended spits out is unknown right now but the huge gulf between the min and recommend specs is baffling. The 3080 is close to 2.5 to 3x the performance of the 970. So either someone just panicked and set a crazy high bar for what "recommended" means or the min specs are going to be unplayable.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The Maroon Hawk posted:

A 3080 for this game :lol:

^^

Vahakyla posted:

The luddites were right

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeC posted:

The recommended path tracing requirements for 1080p 30fps is what you listed, not the minimum. They don't actually have a minimum requirement other than warning you it is experimental.

It's what the game says. :shrug:

Listed requirements and actual requirements being different has been a thing in PC gaming for as long as I can remember.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Grand Fromage posted:

It's what the game says. :shrug:

Listed requirements and actual requirements being different has been a thing in PC gaming for as long as I can remember.

My bad. I was going off their PR slide where those cards were recommended. I never read the in game description.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

MikeC posted:

My bad. I was going off their PR slide where those cards were recommended. I never read the in game description.

I'm glad I ignored it because path tracing looks loving incredible. Everyone turn it on! I'm evangelizing the paths here. Trace 'em.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I hope they put arcologies in the game. Except instead of making them a utopian endgame trigger like old times, they can be a dystopian Musk/Thiel disaster where half your population moves into an un-taxable offshore habitat.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I have very high hopes for CS2's performance based on how well optimized CS1 was.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

MikeJF posted:

Yeah the percentage of players with a 3080 or higher is somewhere around 4-5% (just adding numbers in my head -- if anyone wants to spreadsheet it be my guest).

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/?sort=name

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Sure hope CS2 has DLSS then. Or some other form of temporal upsampling.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

:sickos:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The road tools really do look great. I hope there will be mods to let you turn on and off the full walled elevated roads and that we get other concrete retaining wall options.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
anyone preordering from a specific site? looks like GMG has it for $41

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

This is the video where that was made, by the way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGpsTOdd0ow&t=1560s

That individual lane editing is all I've ever wanted :swoon:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

err posted:

anyone preordering from a specific site? looks like GMG has it for $41

Xbox PC gamepass has it on day 1 release, like a lot of paradox stuff lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeC posted:

Xbox PC gamepass has it on day 1 release, like a lot of paradox stuff lately.

yea but you don't get the pre-order theme on gamepass. it's hosed up.