Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Assepoester posted:

Oh it did? How'd it do?

Well let's just say:
Indiana Jones is back, baybee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Max Payne 'em up third person shooter El Paso Elsewhere is out: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1546310/El_Paso_Elsewhere/

I wasn't really sold on the demo. The Max Payne style control and gameplay doesn't mesh well at all when most of your enemies are aggressive melee based creatures and the voice acting + original rap tracks were fucken weapons grade plutonium cringe.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It’s flawed and too long but it’s a better place to leave things than where they were. It’s a shame none of the scripts they had in the 90s were any good.

Hopefully the Machine Games game is still happening. It’s been 20 years since there was a good Indy game. I’m not counting the Lego ones. It shouldn’t be this hard.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Max Payne 'em up third person shooter El Paso Elsewhere is out: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1546310/El_Paso_Elsewhere/

I wasn't really sold on the demo. The Max Payne style control and gameplay doesn't mesh well at all when most of your enemies are aggressive melee based creatures and the voice acting + original rap tracks were fucken weapons grade plutonium cringe.
I didn't have a problem with the VA from the demo, very MP pastiche, and I figured the music, "must be for someone." Agree with the gameplay stuff, it's a shootdodge game where you're better off not shootdodging.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
I'm having fun in El Paso, Elsewhere finding neat tricks like staking 4 vampires at once. You can definitely cheese some of the encounters but a good amount of them they do make sure you can't just backtrack out the room and get safe cover.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

the voice acting + original rap tracks were fucken weapons grade plutonium cringe.

hard agree. any enjoyment i had of the demo shriveled away like a snail touching salt the moment that human sundae track started playing

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mordja posted:

I'm more excited for that other bugmurder game, but I'll definitely try the demo.

E: Not the GZdoom one, the one where you shoot 15 weapons at once. Why are there so many bugmurder games all of a sudden

people want to do their part

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Voodoo Cafe posted:

hard agree. any enjoyment i had of the demo shriveled away like a snail touching salt the moment that human sundae track started playing

I'm spoiled ever since Cyberpunk had Deadly Hunta, Yugen Blackrok, AND Run The Jewels on the soundtrack

:negative:

https://twitter.com/ICARUSLIV3S/status/1706956447530066022

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 28, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
IIRC the El Paso Elsewhere voicework and music was done by the lead developer, who is... not a professional actor or rhymesmith. I liked the monologues in the demo. The guy strikes me as sincere, at least. Trying his best in earnest, even if he doesn't quite get there.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I have a feeling that the last exterminator is gonna be low key the next "big" throwback to sneak into our hearts. It just has that look and feel to it.

On another hand, this guy makes me laugh a lot and I hope we at least get an early access release at Realms deep (whatever that is, I've only been doing this for like a year now)

https://x.com/TreyPowell1964/status/1706898627841425591?s=20

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

On another hand, this guy makes me laugh a lot and I hope we at least get an early access release at Realms deep (whatever that is, I've only been doing this for like a year now)

Realms Deep is the 3D Realms hosted games showcase.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Phantom Fury release date prayer circle

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Does civvie do the roundup episodes after or something? It feels a while since he had one but it does say only a year and change ago

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does civvie do the roundup episodes after or something? It feels a while since he had one but it does say only a year and change ago

Last one was just over a year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FNbf8VDQxQ

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah I noticed that but it feels so much longer.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Pretty sure it's just when ever he feels like it's worth doing one.

Civvie's channel has never seemed to be that all that formatted/scheduled.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

God almighty I hate that livechat

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
this old man finally bought dusk. just beat it. you all know this but dusk rules

sword is super good. purple KKK guy? doot em. bone horse? doot doot jog on. im a dangerous man with some swordy in my pocket. sometimes it seems not to follow its own rules about when I can charge a doot

Powerups are mostly "oh that was short and sort of neat I guess" maybe once won me a fight i would not have won easily without. half the time i clear the room before even finding the fast shooting thing or time toy. I did stack fast shooting once, that was cool I guess for as long as my ammo lasted

on the whole game is very easy on I Can Take it, I'll have to go up to UV next playthrough

I guess if you bust a crystal of madness and you quicksave, then you quickload, the smoke does not persist? sucks. Did this once, fell off ledge so I reloaded, this time right in front of a huge crowd of dudes lookin at me w/no green

(live notes)

this mf gold rings turned the drat world sideways this is seriously hosed guy is laughing at me and im just floating around. ok couple more touches on that thing seems to have righted things. i love the big virus ball is just chilling in this home. strong myhouse vibes here. interesting map but glad to be done

as above so below--little big land!

gently caress this end boss I thought jacob was the end. i merked his silly rear end first try

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I think it's health that determines doots. I never had issue with it not working though but once you build up your arsenal and morale, you'll rarely find yourself in trouble. Very build like

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:bisonyes:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Finally started Turbo Overkill (bought it at launch for the discount) and I am loving it. It's got some of the best movement in any FPS. You're just so controllable! Great maps, and a ludicrously powerful arsenal but even on the middle difficulty enemies do enough damage to keep you on your feet. I also like that said enemies aren't just your standard Doom rehash that a lot of these games end using, and they're varied, memorable, and easy to read. My one complaint is that the sound design is underwhelming. It's just not punchy enough, even the chainsaw sounds wimpy. Still, other than that it's a hell of a game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Epic lays off 16% of their workforce. 900 people (!)

Some months ago:
https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1618685470329954306

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Brolander posted:

this old man finally bought dusk. just beat it. you all know this but dusk rules

sword is super good. purple KKK guy? doot em. bone horse? doot doot jog on. im a dangerous man with some swordy in my pocket. sometimes it seems not to follow its own rules about when I can charge a doot

Powerups are mostly "oh that was short and sort of neat I guess" maybe once won me a fight i would not have won easily without. half the time i clear the room before even finding the fast shooting thing or time toy. I did stack fast shooting once, that was cool I guess for as long as my ammo lasted

on the whole game is very easy on I Can Take it, I'll have to go up to UV next playthrough

I guess if you bust a crystal of madness and you quicksave, then you quickload, the smoke does not persist? sucks. Did this once, fell off ledge so I reloaded, this time right in front of a huge crowd of dudes lookin at me w/no green

(live notes)

this mf gold rings turned the drat world sideways this is seriously hosed guy is laughing at me and im just floating around. ok couple more touches on that thing seems to have righted things. i love the big virus ball is just chilling in this home. strong myhouse vibes here. interesting map but glad to be done

as above so below--little big land!

gently caress this end boss I thought jacob was the end. i merked his silly rear end first try

Read this post in this guy's voice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-7gbWKbXbQ

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Some months ago:
https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1618685470329954306

Aaaand it's already biting his rear end

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Last Exterminator demo is out and Tim Sweeney should kill himself.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

When did it pop? I've been looking for a while but the little "download demo" button is tiny and off to the side so I probably missed it

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Brolander posted:

If you move kinda quick on one of the Episode 3 levels you can stack three fast fire totems and it turns your pistols into insane ROF bullshit hoses. It's great and hilarious because it happens exactly once and would feels stupid if it happened a bunch.

Brolander posted:

Once you've gone through once or twice even Cereo Meido isn't that bad but it does give the game just that little bit of extra oomph.

Duskmare is a stupid joke that I still enjoyed getting the achievement for.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Let's not go the edgy route of people killing themselves because some Internet warriors like Unreal/Steam a bit too much...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Civvie's channel has never seemed to be that all that formatted/scheduled.
Stuff gets put out as its done and there's a rough idea of what's next. IIRC the current schedule is Necrovision and "something you might not expect" for October, with a return to STALKER in November.

In shameful self-promotion news, for the like two people still playing Reelism 2, I just kicked out a single-character bugfix to stop a certain boss crashing on the new GZDoom release. Oh, also, there's a new GZDoom release.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Turin Turambar posted:

Let's not go the edgy route of people killing themselves because some Internet warriors like Unreal/Steam a bit too much...

Oh no I don't care about that it's because he's a billionaire CEO.

Milo and POTUS posted:

When did it pop? I've been looking for a while but the little "download demo" button is tiny and off to the side so I probably missed it

Edit: Oh you were asking when. Musta been 20 minutes ago maybe.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Turin Turambar posted:

They're also selling off recently-bought Bandcamp... honestly no idea if this is a good or bad thing (so probably bad)
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1707416234461909487

on another note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU9tBTLyQ6w
Grimbeard just released a nearly three-hour long review of Deus Ex: Invisible War

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Going to war with apple over Fortnite money paid off I see

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Angryhead posted:

on another note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU9tBTLyQ6w
Grimbeard just released a nearly three-hour long review of Deus Ex: Invisible War

Speaking of which, 3DRealm's Splipgate Ironwork's Deus Ex lookin rear end game Core Decay

https://twitter.com/Freschism/status/1707314118242242989

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think it's health that determines doots.

yeah i just found this out via Civvie lol. I thought it was morale, which is actually for blocking, which i never did. I also did not use crossbow nearly as much as he did.

absolutely. im blowin the lords bubbles

Brolander fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 28, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Speaking of which, 3DRealm's Splipgate Ironwork's Deus Ex lookin rear end game Core Decay

https://twitter.com/Freschism/status/1707314118242242989

Lol I legit wasn't certain that the game would have human models or if it would just be all robits

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Tried playing Invisible War out of sheer morbid curiosity a while back and I really haven't played any other game that's felt so deeply and obviously compromised to the point that it's more akin to a prototype or tech demo than a finished game.

Specifically it feels uncannily like a really derpy prototype to Mass Effect more than anything to do with Deus Ex, and that's really the most interesting thing about it as far as the final product goes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

ONE FRICKING LEVEL?

It's good though, lotta fun.

Cons:
Little dark, gimme a brightness adjuster or at least a flashlight, problem leads into number 2 which is
Enemies a little hard to make out (mostly because it's loving dark, but might just be their overall color which is not helped because it's loving dark)
Rebinds don't seem to work and I cannot stand pressing C for crouch at this point

Guns feel great, pistols a little weak but the shotgun has some range to it and the submachine feels real good. Explodey disk didn't get used much but it works great when it does and even the punching felt good.
Responsive movement too and at a good pace. You're not johnny turbo or V1 but you're not a snail either. Good jump
SUPER build like environment, we're talking Duke Nukem in LA level good. Fun secret hunting
Quality of life poo poo, like telling you that your action unlocked a shortcut so you don't have to backtrack across the map.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I would like to see nightdive do a system shock type remake of iw because I surprisingly enjoyed the game itself when I played it a couple years ago, but I swear even with the unofficial patches the load screens from going between areas accounted for half my total irl play time

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I like Invisible War but there's no doubting that it is a cataclysmically compromised. I wish I could peek into the parallel universe where they kept it on PC only because it would have absolutely ruled. It does sound like Ion Storm's unmade DX3 "Insurrection" was a major course correction in just about every way but they folded before it could enter into full production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Stuff gets put out as its done and there's a rough idea of what's next. IIRC the current schedule is Necrovision and "something you might not expect" for October, with a return to STALKER in November.

In shameful self-promotion news, for the like two people still playing Reelism 2, I just kicked out a single-character bugfix to stop a certain boss crashing on the new GZDoom release. Oh, also, there's a new GZDoom release.

thanks, unrelated but every time i update gzdoom i see the 'fm_banks' folder and think of jonathan banks