Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

churchill would love zelensky

publicly, while saying extremely cool things about him privately

the father of Operation Gladio would NEVER think paying a bunch of nazis to fight the Russians on behalf of the whiter peoples of the earth was a great use of time and money!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

The_Politics_Man posted:

look, greenwald is mad at the bad foreign nazis but okay with the nice domestic nazis so it's fine

drat never thought someone could be xenophobic in such a specific way

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

you have confused being an openly fascist cartoonist with being a figure in american politics, cbo.

this is pure liberal media-consumption-as-politics poo poo and i urge you to find literally anything else to use as entertainment

:lol:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tankbuster posted:

why does this goofy game where the nazis have robotic dogs not have really good politics?

I said it's "silly" instead of "bad" because I actually had fun with the games. They're just very representative of a certain type of American/Western fiction involving Nazis/WW2.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

are there any liberal political comic takes on the SS dude up in canada seeking to keep things fair and balanced namaste 🙏

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

you have confused being an openly fascist cartoonist with being a figure in american politics, cbo.

this is pure liberal media-consumption-as-politics poo poo and i urge you to find literally anything else to use as entertainment
of course the main political figures are figures like mtg and donald trump as ive pointed out

but it's fair to demonstrate even among the much less significant sideline bleachers, it's mainly the conservatives who are pointing out the nazi problem while the emma vigelands of the world are insisting the nazi problem is putinist propaganda

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

VoicesCanBe posted:

It's probably a toss up between him and Trump, either could wind up happening assuming one or both don't just die. Cause they're old.

Anyway, the alternative scenario is Trump winning. If that happens, i expect him to try to get both sides to agree to a peace deal. That will fail. Then he'll give up and cut off aid immediately to Ukraine which will end the war not too long after that.

Thinking on it, maybe Biden is so worried about losing the election that he's trying to wrap this thing up in term 1.

(I realize this is a long response to "lol")

there is absolutely zero reason to seriously think biden is going to win at this point trump is actually polling better than biden is which is pretty damned alarming given that trump is notorious for outperforming his polls which are usually so bad that theyre beyond the margin of error

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Marzzle posted:

are there any liberal political comic takes on the SS dude up in canada seeking to keep things fair and balanced namaste 🙏

Careful these takes are red hot

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the comedy of juxtaposition on the current budget fight

aoc:
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1706853161393131809

mtg:
https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1706669616918139316

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Karach posted:

I need the apoligism levels at like 11/10. 1000% sure it's out there somewhere

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i see so what youre saying is that east germans have been infected with rashist propaganda and we need to find a way to expel the next german leader from power if its the one supported by east germany in order to protect the countrys democracy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

VoicesCanBe posted:

Canada won't agree to it but it's indeed funny as poo poo

of course theyll agree it to why wouldnt canada extradite a nazi when the house of commons just passed legislation saying that nazis are bad that would be very inconsistent of them

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ytlaya posted:

I said it's "silly" instead of "bad" because I actually had fun with the games. They're just very representative of a certain type of American/Western fiction involving Nazis/WW2.

yeah. The american view of the war solidified into a fun and adventurous romp while the peoples of the former USSR were permanently scarred by it. You see the same thing in China with the entire sino japanese war. The entire endeavor is sacred because a lot of blood was spilt trying to win against the fascist invader. Anyways the median "drat I like bashing the fash in wolfenstein" gamer in the west also thinks the Azov logo stands for the Idea of a Nation.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Karach posted:

keep 'em comin'

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The social democrats have been a disaster and should never be given power again, if that makes East Germany mad then too bad

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

it's nice that even Ben Garrison understands something is up but he's still an rear end in a top hat

Yeah. Garrison hates Zelensky for the same reason Poland hates Zelensky.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Nonsense posted:

The social democrats have been a disaster and should never be given power again, if that makes East Germany mad then too bad

Comintern was right about social democrats

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
This seems like the logical outcome of all this: President Putin brings much yearned-for freedom to my country

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

we need a "go back to d&d" smilie

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

tristeham posted:

we need a "go back to d&d" smilie

we already do :byetankie:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DiscountDildos posted:

What's the deal with this Russian prankster phenomenon? Seems like every other month some Russian gets some prominent person on the phone and gets them to say something that they should know better than to say out loud. How the hell does this keep happening?

why its almost as if the main standard for hiring practices in this conflict is ideological purity and no one actually cares if anyone meets a bare minimum standard of competence for the job theyre doing

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its funny that apparently she made another post shortly after saying that people were making AI vids of her saying horrible stuff but then deleted it

its extremely funny that despite being promised that near perfect deep fakes are going to start appearing any day now for years at this point the only time it ever comes up is when someones trying to bullshit their way out of getting caught on camera or on mic saying actually terrible poo poo

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Tankbuster posted:

yeah. The american view of the war solidified into a fun and adventurous romp while the peoples of the former USSR were permanently scarred by it. You see the same thing in China with the entire sino japanese war. The entire endeavor is sacred because a lot of blood was spilt trying to win against the fascist invader. Anyways the median "drat I like bashing the fash in wolfenstein" gamer in the west also thinks the Azov logo stands for the Idea of a Nation.

This effect is prevalent in the UK as well, we have so many re-enactor events and it's like, sure it's fun to drive around in a jeep and watch a Lancaster fly overhead and listen to some Andrews Sisters cover group and say hey, ho, didn't we do a great job of all pulling together and making it through. But it just makes me think well, it's safe to do these things cus you can't stumble across any mass graves here, there's a certain distance from the full reality of the situation

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

foreign nazis bad, domestic nazis good says greem glennwald

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

FirstnameLastname posted:

why is there such hostility towards anarchists within the left

like i get the longterm uselessness but i don't get why they get so much poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz9QC5ufNxk

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

why its almost as if the main standard for hiring practices in this conflict is ideological purity and no one actually cares if anyone meets a bare minimum standard of competence for the job theyre doing

You gotta wonder if the GRU could just get various generals to spill the beans on casualty figures etc. by just calling them and pretending to be from the Guardian. They're probably too full of boomers to even think of doing that though.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Nothus posted:

The show is about how cool the American Nazis are and how they're better at it than the Germans.

but they also feel morally conflicted about it which is really confusing

like after a certain point the villains just going ah geez sure im the most powerful man in the world and i dont even really believe in nazism but not do nazi stuff??? how would the trains run on time anymore if we stopped doing all the nazism

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh yeah, poppy season is almost here.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah the big futile war for western europe seems to be ww1. Post WW2 and increasingly now the world keeps falling into the american-centric view of the war as time goes by.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Orbis Tertius posted:

stonetoss and garrison are mutually motivated by a hatred of libs, and liberal warmongering and incoherence on the nazi stuff is just fodder for that expression.

a cursory look at either artists output should be enough to dispel the notion that they are anti nazi or anti war on principle.

I don't think anyone here thinks these guys are anti-nazi. But that Stonetoss comic does point out a big problem with the types of people that up until lasr year were all about rightfully punhcing nazis on sight are now all about hugging and kissing Nazis as long as they speak Ukrainian. Like you would think that would cause some friction in their brains

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/newchapterfinn/status/1706044386146980183

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

KomradeX posted:

I don't think anyone here thinks these guys are anti-nazi. But that Stonetoss comic does point out a big problem with the types of people that up until lasr year were all about rightfully punhcing nazis on sight are now all about hugging and kissing Nazis as long as they speak Ukrainian. Like you would think that would cause some friction in their brains

ableistly imagining a frictionless, spherical surface rn...

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

KomradeX posted:

Can't have friction when the Russiagate psychosis has sandblasted your brain smooth.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

The Devs are, wait for it. Sweedish

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Fun fact, the word "horde" itself comes from the Mongolian word "Ordu" (also "Orda", "Ordo" or "Ordon"), which was a sociopolitical and military structure in Mongol society.

An military structure which included things like:

Every group of 10 soldiers included 1 leader and was called an Arban. Every 10 Arban had a leader and collectively were a Zuun. Every 10 Zuun had a leader and collectively were a Mingghan. Every 10 Mingghan had a leader and collectively were a Tumen. I think I remember reading somewhere tha the leader of the Arban was chosen by the members of the Arban, but I can't find a source on that now.

On each of these levels leaders were expected to be able to autonomously make decisions to react to battlefield conditions as they arose. Each Arban was also supposed to operate as a unit on the march, together carrying all the equipment they needed to encamp every day and cook together etc.

Basically an army organization modern armies would still recognize and with empowered NCOs, where higher level leaders deliberately issued commands that were more general intents rather than trying to micromanage, and entrusting the lower level leaders to carry out the spirit of the commands to the best of their abilities.

So what I'm saying is that what our word "Horde" comes from in practice operated nearly exactly the opposite way of the kind of disorganized mess and mass we now categorize as a horde.

i see so what youre saying is that warcraft is actually closer to the spirit of the word horde as it is applied to mongols despite the lore presenting this interpretation as subversive and ironic over the long term

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

of course the main political figures are figures like mtg and donald trump as ive pointed out

but it's fair to demonstrate even among the much less significant sideline bleachers, it's mainly the conservatives who are pointing out the nazi problem while the emma vigelands of the world are insisting the nazi problem is putinist propaganda

basically no one actually involved in US politics has a good take on this war because everyone is either a sociopathic capitalist or defends them

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

why does this goofy game where the nazis have robotic dogs not have really good politics?

It was funny when Regan got himself killed trying to suck up to Hitler.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

sum posted:

You gotta wonder if the GRU could just get various generals to spill the beans on casualty figures etc. by just calling them and pretending to be from the Guardian. They're probably too full of boomers to even think of doing that though.

the generals probably don’t know either, lots of soldiers on paper with their commanders pocketing their cheques

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the Kazakhstan thing seems like a non-issue, they are saying they aren't going to violate EU sanctions (the chief issue being arms/European components) but that doesn't mean they are imposing their own. It is what they have been saying practically since the beginning. There is/was a legal battle over Baikonur but it seems largely unrelated. There was a Soyuz launch there 2 weeks ago.

The number surrendered forces is a who-knows situation, but the issue has been small scale surrenders rather than actual formations being taken out. So far it has been under the company level, but they also may be consistent happening if conscripts truly don't want to fight.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:32 on Sep 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

VoicesCanBe posted:

I agree that there were vastly more Ukrainians who fought in the Red Army than those who fought for the Nazis. And that the Ukrainians who fought in the Red Army are heroes.

Unfortunately the post-Maidan Ukrainian state and western-backed NGOs don't seem to agree. They seem to prefer the Nazi-aligned Ukrainian fighters for some reason.

remembering how when the kyiv city council wanted to rename a street to honor azov the street they picked to change was marshall malinovsky street