Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Funzo posted:

Turns out if you want to strip metal minis get yourself a bottle of Citrastrip (if you're in the US). Left some minis in a little tub of it overnight and the paint fell right off. I don't think I'd use if for resin or plastic, but for metals it was great.

looking at the MSDS, it's mainly NMP, which will destroy styrene plastic and, if i had to guess, most resin models too. i guess if it's on a deep sale? it looks like it costs twice as much as acetone in US stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Funzo posted:

Turns out if you want to strip metal minis get yourself a bottle of Citrastrip (if you're in the US). Left some minis in a little tub of it overnight and the paint fell right off. I don't think I'd use if for resin or plastic, but for metals it was great.

I use BioStrip (ordered from UK) to do this with plastics.

I did discover that it will melt plastic a bit after 5 or so days when I accidentally left a Rhino slathered in it when I went on vacation. Completely flat pancake treads greeted me on my return.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I scratch built a Tonk

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

w00tmonger posted:

I scratch built a Tonk

Have you given Tonks a try yet? It seems like a fun, quick game.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I like the orange from the rust with the green like that. Cool look.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I need to know everything about how that was made

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Cthulu Carl posted:

Have you given Tonks a try yet? It seems like a fun, quick game.

No, but I'm planning on playing it with my kids. Looks like a nice basic gateway game

Count Thrashula posted:

So I found "bill making stuff" on YouTube who does a lot of scratch building, tons of tips etc.

Started with a shampoo pump and some wood blocks for a frame. chopped it up and combined a bunch of Eva foam, beads, wire, and a few 3d printed parts.

Then I hit it with orange/brown speedpaint, chipping medium, then a couple shades of green to highlight. Activated the chipping medium with water and a sponge, then did a bit of detailing.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Hey, wanted to share the series I finished for painting that Magnus.
Playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfe6_3ltuogBRvkdC47937GPfMja4uexT&si=k8GNWrn3CWWqjD5K

Part 1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpQqrKaWytY
Part 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cTe8beOgAo
Part 3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7bvJAxM4JE
Part 4. (new, as I'm typing this) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqNGBXgWe_E

Still learning to edit but I've gotten a lot of help from goons in this thread over the last couple of months and I've really appreciated it - thanks.

Ballbot5000 posted:

B-e-a-utiful, what's your recipe for the iridescent purple?

I answered this earlier assuming you meant the feathers, put you probably meant the hair or the eyeball come to think of it. It's in the 4th video if you're still interested.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Count Thrashula posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzOK_x6tngw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRA0VSFuIzQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd-MYAze4bI

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
To get a nice bright white over black primer, it is advised to do undercoats of yellow, right?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

SuperKlaus posted:

To get a nice bright white over black primer, it is advised to do undercoats of yellow, right?

You could also do blue, or brown, if it's sufficiently a medium tone of each.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

You'd basically need a bright white over a black primer to get a good yellow so I'd advise against it.

Greys would be my recommendation

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Other way around, I'm working to get a strong white on a black-primed mini. I'm definitely experiencing the feeling that layers of thin Corax White is just looking chalky. Considering Fenrisian Gray first layer or two, then Corax White.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

yellow has such poor coverage that I was making a joke to get it suitable to act as an undercoat for white you'd need to get it white in the first place.

Celestra Grey to Ulthuan Grey is a good base for white with citadel. Grey seer as well.

Fenrisian grey is a layer so doesn't have great coverage and I think has a pretty blue tint.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

SuperKlaus posted:

Considering Fenrisian Gray first layer or two, then Corax White.

This should work for a cold white but I would recommend any other brand's off white over the citadel white colors, which have a deserved reputation for being difficult to use, chalky, and overall terrible.

Vallejo Game Color, Pro-Acryl, Scale75, AK all make off whites that are so much better

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

This should work for a cold white but I would recommend any other brand's off white over the citadel white colors, which have a deserved reputation for being difficult to use, chalky, and overall terrible.

Vallejo Game Color, Pro-Acryl, Scale75, AK all make off whites that are so much better

Golden heavy body neutral gray. You will never have a problem getting an undercoat for white again.

B-person
Oct 29, 2010
In addition to the figures I made for solo games, I also kitbashed a bunch of guard models.

It's funny. I don't really have any intention of playing 40K but I do enjoy making a bunch of freaky/gnarly guardsmen and thinking up lore about them.

Here are a couple of sample regiments that I came up with (there are more pics in the links).

https://imgur.com/a/QjEXqK1

And here is what I ended up building out a bit. The concept is penal troops of some kind, based on the pretty gnarly catachan minis.

https://imgur.com/a/g1g7zCw

I also made a command squad for them.

https://imgur.com/a/q3xQL0a

And a "heavy support' section as well.

https://imgur.com/a/Fgut7tE

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Those are nifty! What are your recipes for the non-white skin tones?

Thanks for the advice on white paint folks. I'm going to try things and maybe learn to strip paint.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Golden heavy body neutral gray. You will never have a problem getting an undercoat for white again.

if youre talkin N8 neutral grey, this is actually what i use for my whites!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

if youre talkin N8 neutral grey, this is actually what i use for my whites!

The one and only, accept no substitutes.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
even lovely craft paints will cover if you just patiently apply thin layers

i don't think i'd prime black if i was planning to do any significant fields of white, though. it's true that you can cover black with any strongly pigmented neutral color but why wouldn't you prime with that in the first place

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

NinjaDebugger posted:

I use Pro Acryl Neutral Grey. Preferably, I just prime grey if I'm going for white.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I can't defend the black primer. Some folks warned me of clumpy awful white primers and I got a bug in my brain about spending $ on a can of primer when I already owned a can of primer, but I have to admit it was a bad move. I think I can make it work with patience, though - here it helps that I'm only painting 11 models for a Kill Team (low model counts is also part of why I got a bug about buying more primer). Or, can I stop before I get too deep and strip the primer?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

SuperKlaus posted:

I can't defend the black primer. Some folks warned me of clumpy awful white primers and I got a bug in my brain about spending $ on a can of primer when I already owned a can of primer, but I have to admit it was a bad move. I think I can make it work with patience, though - here it helps that I'm only painting 11 models for a Kill Team (low model counts is also part of why I got a bug about buying more primer). Or, can I stop before I get too deep and strip the primer?

Go for a zenithal prime and spray white from above over the black.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

When I'm feeling froggy I like to prime black, zenithal light grey at like a 45 degree angle and a quick hit from directly above, then dry brush white.

I have no idea if it has any actual benefits, but I feel like I like it better than just white on black

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

i only prime my models in black, dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I kind of made a mistake last week and tried to batch paint these Jackals

I tried to make these guys a lot brighter and I think it was successful, I got their packs, heads and weapons to finish off and I'm sure I'll find some shite I forgot to paint because of ADHD

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

i only prime my models in black, dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

Same. It is so satisfying just highlighting and highlighting and highlighting.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Beffer posted:

Same. It is so satisfying just highlighting and highlighting and highlighting.

dont forget the real gem of the experience, layering and layering and layering!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Richard Gray is my spirit animal

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Is it reasonable to prime in grey and then zenithal white? Or is a black base layer always the best option? (Using contrast paints)

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

hmm yes posted:

Is it reasonable to prime in grey and then zenithal white? Or is a black base layer always the best option? (Using contrast paints)

Yes, I'd say that's reasonable, especially for contrast.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

hmm yes posted:

You can prime in any colour you like and do a zenithal, and its often a good idea. Grey will give you less dark shadows than black, a chocolate brown gives you warmer shadows (and I vastly prefer it for anything organic, in my experience particularly the flesh tone contrasts struggle with the sharper black shadows if you prime black).

B-person
Oct 29, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

Those are nifty! What are your recipes for the non-white skin tones?

Thanks for the advice on white paint folks. I'm going to try things and maybe learn to strip paint.

Thanks!

It's actually all just army painter speedpaint over 'slapchop/grisaille'. 'Hardened Leather' for the light brown/bronze tone and 'Dark Wood' for the dark brown tone.
I'm sure you would get a similar result using contrast paints in the same range from other brands.

I have also made a bunch of monsters/creatures for solo games as well. Mostly whatever I could get cheaply from various third parties and store sales.

More pics in the links as usual.

Pox Walkers
https://imgur.com/a/D3BScXN

Harvesters - Alien Bugs
https://imgur.com/a/b43pM0v

Core Spawn Crawlers
https://imgur.com/a/uZjtMz4

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
6mm trains and shanties mega diorama

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I prime black. White primer is always frustrating!!

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021
I haven't seen anyone else mention it yet so, Vallejo updated the color chart for their Game Color line and it includes what colors are going to be in the second wave of the Xpress color paints.

It looks like the line is expanding from 23 colors to 60 colors, 8 of those being labeled as "intense". I'm assuming the intense ones won't be like Imperial fist yellow or Black legion in the contrast paint line where they are still translucent but don't really do the contrast paint thing, Vallejo already has their game ink colors for that.

Now to wait and see how they each look when actually on a model, just like with the first wave.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

6mm trains and shanties mega diorama

The individual pieces were already great when you posted them before, but this diorama is adorable!

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
I’ve been using more contrast paints and priming in grey with a white zenithal has been a winner for me

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I was doing some touch up highlights on a model I prepped with a slapchop drybrush then drybrush method before I added contrast paints, and then realized I'm just painting the model en grisaille to fix some of my laziness when I was drybrushing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
How are the Army Painter speed paint 2.0 paints? I currently just use craft store and mid grade artists acrylics, heavily watered down with good quality acrylic medium added for my limited mini painting, but there's just so many steps to do it right :negative: . Wish I had an airbrush but I don't have the space or ventilation to set that up in my current living space