Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

cool cool cool cool cool
https://twitter.com/TheGreeneBJ/status/1707385789619769677

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/27/revealed-europes-role-in-the-making-of-russia-killer-drones

quote:

Iranian kamikaze drones used in the latest attacks on Ukrainian cities are filled with European components, according to a secret document sent by Kyiv to its western allies in which it appeals for long-range missiles to attack production sites in Russia, Iran and Syria.
Among the suggestions for action by Ukraine’s western allies – at which they would probably baulk – are “missile strikes on the production plants of these UAVs in Iran, Syria, as well as on a potential production site in the Russian federation”.

The document goes on: “The above may be carried out by the Ukrainian defence forces if partners provide the necessary means of destruction.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

ahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Syria, we bomb them as we like. Iran is gonna be a big no.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Zelensky: why won't they give us guided missiles

Also Zelensky: we will start wars with everyone around us if you give us guided missiles

Maybe don't make a comedian the president guys

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
On second thought, lets go ahead and make this happen, in sure Ukraine would do great on a three front war.

Some Guy TT posted:

there is absolutely zero reason to seriously think biden is going to win at this point trump is actually polling better than biden is which is pretty damned alarming given that trump is notorious for outperforming his polls which are usually so bad that theyre beyond the margin of error

Not gonna toxx it or anything but yeah I'm expecting trump to win like Reagan did in 84

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 21:54 on Sep 28, 2023

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
Edit: did not mean to triple post sorry for being rude

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
I started seeing power plant attack posts again so they are definitely angling for that WW3 option

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Fine, let's bomb some DJI factories.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol big z is getting desperate

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

dead gay comedy forums posted:

ahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Look, I see no possible escalation that could result from attacking third party countries that provide military supplies or support. It'll just be a simple one off and then be over.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

if russia really has manpower issues i'm sure giving the the revolutionary guard an excuse to become participants is a really good idea by ukraine

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
Very powerful little brother hiding behind his sibling energy from Ukraine pretty much all the time

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i thought the russians are going to start manufacturing their own shaheds, which i guess means the russian MIC wouldn’t be that upset because then they can start a grift going

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Kazakhstan has had an explosion of imports from the EU (because they are carting them over the boarder). We'll know in a few months if they actually did anything, because that number will crash if they are following through

lol this is such a wonderful non-answer

no, we will not do anything, next question

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/Doomedphantasm1/status/1707113547568656881

please dont ask me about grandpa please dont ask me about grandpa

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
Ukraine asking for permission to bomb Syria and Iran or for NATO to do it on their behalf is batshit but also consistent with one of their central military strategies, which is to turn this into WW3

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Is there not a single brave Canadian? Concerning.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
https://twitter.com/TheGreeneBJ/status/1707384469341028683

If you only looked at the map you'd think this is a frozen conflict. Except they've been fighting at high intensity most of the year and there's been hundreds of thousands of casualties overall.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

VoicesCanBe posted:

If you only looked at the map you'd think this is a frozen conflict. Except they've been fighting at high intensity most of the year and there's been hundreds of thousands of casualties overall.

Western Front

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
all quiet

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1707362680984445218

Oh. Guess this is happening again.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Hey, if you really hate ethnic Russians, getting them together in an Ostlegion and sending them to get killed is a great way to rid yourself of them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VoicesCanBe posted:

One side has been continuously trying to clog the other side's cannons with corpses while the other side sits back and makes lawnmower guided cannon go brrr

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

2025 will be the funniest year for Zelenskyy

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol big z is getting desperate

only nine months and god knows how many casualties later, they've figured out that attacking directly into a defensive line is loving stupid

admittedly the lateral to "do random strikes on quasi-civilian infrastructure and hope that solves the problem" is not going to serve much better, but it'll involve a couple fewer Ukranians being told to minesweep using their teeth.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

only nine months and god knows how many casualties later, they've figured out that attacking directly into a defensive line is loving stupid

Zelensky: All of my losses were lessons.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

They've got that one Humvee and they drat well need to find a crater to put it in and most inconvenience Russia.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davida...tillery-battle/

A Ukrainian Drone Knocked Out A 70-Year-Old Russian Field Gun. It’s A Stark Reminder That Ukraine Is Winning The Artillery Battle.

Don't worry everything is fine Ukraine is definitely winning. Like really decisively.

Citation: a Ukrainian whose callsign is "just trust me bro"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

So about that.
https://asiatimes.com/2023/09/killer-sunflower-chinas-kamikaze-drone-has-arrived/

Killer Sunflower: China’s kamikaze drone has arrived
China’s Sunflower-200 modelled on Iran’s lethal Shahed-136 and recently touted at Russia’s top arms exhibition in Moscow

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/NewVoiceUkraine/status/1701310137489826217

nato tactics: do human waves

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Finally can use the Abrahams and instead just sending people by themselves into a meatgrinder

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they're just gonna pretend the offensive never ends

If/when they resume major offensive operations next summer they'll probably just pretend it's all part of one years-long offensive.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

2022: lol orks using human wave attacks, Moscow in 6 months amirite?

2023: so this is why I think infantry-only counter-offensive aren't human wave attacks, (1/163)

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
In that Ukrainian desertion article in Russia Today they stated that 83k Ukrainian soldiers have died since the counteroffensive started in June. Not to mention the 10 thousand plus that has deserted or the wounded. That is nearly 100k irretrievable losses in 4 months which is insane if true.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

i've played a lot of breakthrough & rush on battlefield and what i learned from my service is that ukraine has hosed up big time by not coordinating the entire army to attack one target at the same time before moving to the next one.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Death By The Blues posted:

In that Ukrainian desertion article in Russia Today they stated that 83k Ukrainian soldiers have died since the counteroffensive started in June. Not to mention the 10 thousand plus that has deserted or the wounded. That is nearly 100k irretrievable losses in 4 months which is insane if true.

hmm i think where the Russian military has released estimates of Ukrainian combat losses (the last figures I read from last week was 71,000 from the start of the counter-offensive in June, or 17,000 in September alone) it's always been clarified that those numbers were KIA as well a unable to return to service as a result of serious injury. It's often confusing because you get numbers from different sources that use different criteria for how they are reporting..

I would be surprised if it was 83,000 dead since that is much higher than what the Russian military was claiming (some fraction of the 71,000 figure I mentioned previously)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

admittedly the lateral to "do random strikes on quasi-civilian infrastructure and hope that solves the problem" is not going to serve much better, but it'll involve a couple fewer Ukranians being told to minesweep using their teeth.

Don't forget about constant terror attacks on the population you wish to bring back into the fold

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Starsfan posted:

hmm i think where the Russian military has released estimates of Ukrainian combat losses (the last figures I read from last week was 71,000 from the start of the counter-offensive in June, or 17,000 in September alone) it's always been clarified that those numbers were KIA as well a unable to return to service as a result of serious injury. It's often confusing because you get numbers from different sources that use different criteria for how they are reporting..

I would be surprised if it was 83,000 dead since that is much higher than what the Russian military was claiming (some fraction of the 71,000 figure I mentioned previously)

The terminology isn't great, especially "irrevocable losses" is that KIA or KIA/serious WIA? Looking at the forces on the ground, it is hard to imagine 83,000 KIA but KIA/WIA seems more believable. The initial wave of brigades was about 20-25k, with supporting forces of probably an equal amount and they are probably throwing other causalities from other fronts.

I don't think they had about 400-450k more men to lose tbh.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Russian numbers on Ukrainian casualties/desertions should not be trusted for the same reason Ukrainian numbers on Russian casualties/desertions should not be trusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

1stGear posted:

Russian numbers on Ukrainian casualties/desertions should not be trusted for the same reason Ukrainian numbers on Russian casualties/desertions should not be trusted.

yeah, I don't think alot of people do put alot of credit in them, but various commentators have made the point that the Russian casualty numbers are actually useful for determining where the fighting is happening because the Russians split up their casualty reporting by zones.. so people have been using that methodology to infer that the fighting is actually much heavier around Bakhmut than it has been south of Orikhiv, despite the major focus of the western media on the drive to capture Robotyne and Verbove..