Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
some people have made setups where they mount a hitch receiver to their bench and then mount one or more tools onto hitches so that you can swap them in/out as necessary and store them elsewhere out of the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
in other tool related news, i've now ruined a third bernzomatic mapp torch, this one is failing in a new way...the pressure regulator has failed and it leaks gas out of the vent hole on the torch, which has led to some scary as gently caress moments when i've been using it to light my bbq charcoal

:flame::flame::flame:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

in other tool related news, i've now ruined a third bernzomatic mapp torch, this one is failing in a new way...the pressure regulator has failed and it leaks gas out of the vent hole on the torch, which has led to some scary as gently caress moments when i've been using it to light my bbq charcoal

:flame::flame::flame:

Why is it seemingly impossible to find a decent quality propane/nouveau-mapp torch? If anyone knows of one please do tell.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would probably just reinforce your workbench where the vice mounts to the end. My last workbench, I ran several of the bolts through some 2x4 that triangulated back to the rear and that really stiffened things up.

Wing nuts are pretty speedy but can't really torque them down adequately. I'm not convinced a cam lock from a bicycle (even steel) would survive more than a year or so unless you're doing really delicate stuff. I guess give it a try? Looks like you can get a pair of steel (I wouldn't trust aluminum in this case) bicycle mountain bike skewers for $8-15/pair

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'd consider tee nuts for this purpose, at least it's just bolts from above then. Or the hitch receiver idea. My vise is on a hitch plate so that route would be easier for me but I have no workbench right now so I just use the receiver on the truck all the time.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Bike skewers are tiny, i want something 14mm in diameter. I'm just gonna go with bolts and washers. The tools are right there after all, it's just two bolts as well so not really a lengthy process. The vise will probably sit at the end most of the time and the bench is pretty sturdy all over but I want to be able to move it anyways and it's just a couple of extra holes. M14 is coarse enough to be a bit of a specialty item but if I'm making the trip to the special nuts and bolts store (which always makes me happy) I might buy more than I need and try welding up some wingnuts that I can torque properly and some bolts that interfere with the vise so they can't spin freely. Then again I have access to both lathe and mill so maybe I can make something custom eventually if I actually figure out what mechanism to use and how to fabricate it. Nuts and bolts and washers will do for now regardless.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

kastein posted:

I'd consider tee nuts for this purpose, at least it's just bolts from above then. Or the hitch receiver idea. My vise is on a hitch plate so that route would be easier for me but I have no workbench right now so I just use the receiver on the truck all the time.
Tee nuts is an interesting idea. I doubt i can find them in M14 but I can make nuts welded to plate steel easily enough and just screw the in from below, that will work fine. Hitch receivers aren't really a thing where I live sadly but I guess I could fabricate a feuif those easily enough too. I'm mainly afraid it would be hard not to get a needlessly sloppy vise mount that way.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'd look at hanger bolts. They've got an aggressive wood thread on one side, like a lag bolt, and machine thread on the other side. Predrill you bench with a pilot, crank them in, and then bolt the vise in place.

I've got the hitch system on 2 benches, and it's great, but storing the attachments is kind of a pain in the rear end because they have a piece of steel tubing hanging off the back

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Drywall screws should suffice.

/s

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I used those nuts that bite into the wood and the cordless ratchet, comes off in seconds and I have something to stub my toe on later.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I’d just place the vise on a leg post. If the leg post isn’t strong enough for that then reinforce it or replace it with something beefy like a 6x6 or a 4” galvanized pipe.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

therobit posted:

I’d just place the vise on a leg post. If the leg post isn’t strong enough for that then reinforce it or replace it with something beefy like a 6x6 or a 4” galvanized pipe.

There are no legs. It's 4 meters of thick oak countertop snugged into the whole width of a basement room. It's well attached to the concrete walls in the rear and on the edges and the middle is supported by an ikea kitchen module with drawers but on either side there's a station that is open below the bench so I can sit on a high chair and work. I can't put the vise directly over the drawers since the top drawer would be fouled by the handle but I can put it close. The alternate position will be near a wall. I think it will be plenty sturdy for what I plan to do with it in either location as is but if not I'll do some triangular bracing I guess.
Anyways, according to their website the fastener store has exactly what I need even though M14 is a bit of an oddball size (regular hex bolts tend to be 12 or 16mm) so I'll swing by them tomorrow and weld up some functional equivalents of tee nuts later this week.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Invalido posted:

There are no legs. It's 4 meters of thick oak countertop snugged into the whole width of a basement room. It's well attached to the concrete walls in the rear and on the edges and the middle is supported by an ikea kitchen module with drawers but on either side there's a station that is open below the bench so I can sit on a high chair and work. I can't put the vise directly over the drawers since the top drawer would be fouled by the handle but I can put it close. The alternate position will be near a wall. I think it will be plenty sturdy for what I plan to do with it in either location as is but if not I'll do some triangular bracing I guess.
Anyways, according to their website the fastener store has exactly what I need even though M14 is a bit of an oddball size (regular hex bolts tend to be 12 or 16mm) so I'll swing by them tomorrow and weld up some functional equivalents of tee nuts later this week.

I see exactly what you're saying, and it's a really interesting homebrew problem with lots of potential fixes, like the hitch receiver idea.

This is rapidly getting into the specialty solution territory, but quick release seems to be the right term to google for potential ideas, eg something like these quarter turn quick release fasteners

Probably good enough, but a big honkin vise is where the 800 pound gorilla enters the ring and I could see those quick release cams getting damaged by wailing on something. Just really comes down to what you expect to be doing with it that couldn't be fixed with a smarter not harder mindset (kroil is a godsend). Also brapping out regular lag bolts with an 18v impact might just be the right answer too.

Personally I'm a big fan of undermount woodworking vises, which are nice and outta the way . I'd also take a gander at something like bench dogs which are just a buncha regular holes that you can use for clamping stuff, mounting quick release adapters, etc.

Also think about how often you'll want to move the vise... potentially reinforcing an end with some legs or a cabinet underneath to mount it out of the way might be the trick too.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
So I went to the nuts and bolts store. Sadly there is no McMaster Carr equivalent in Europe AFAIK, but if you live in Stockholm there's Sifvert Skruv. It's like entering a temple of threaded things, it's always a solemn experience to go. Meticulous order, great selection. Just a bunch of isles all looking like this:

I paid €12 for 3 bolts/washers and 6 nuts regular 8.8 grade but it's real nice that such a place exists. Luckily it's near work since it's only open 7-4 weekdays.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Invalido posted:

So I went to the nuts and bolts store. Sadly there is no McMaster Carr equivalent in Europe AFAIK, but if you live in Stockholm there's Sifvert Skruv. It's like entering a temple of threaded things, it's always a solemn experience to go. Meticulous order, great selection. Just a bunch of isles all looking like this:

I paid €12 for 3 bolts/washers and 6 nuts regular 8.8 grade but it's real nice that such a place exists. Luckily it's near work since it's only open 7-4 weekdays.

One of the downsides of living in the Caribbean is there is nowhere like this, not even close. A couple of years ago I needed some M8 hex head bolts. No biggie, go to the hardware store. No dice, they are all out. Next one is also out. And the 3rd one. And the speciality marine store. And that's all of em! Apparently someone also had a project with M8 bolts too, bought out what was on the shelf, everywhere . Due to some incredibly dumb stocking practices It took ~7 months for M8 hex head's to be back on the shelf.

and that's why I bought a CNC lathe

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Lol - I know exactly what you mean.

My in laws that live down there go batshit insane with general hardware when they come back.

Loading one of moms suitcases into the car last year it weighed something like 60lbs (it was small, almost carry on size in dimensions). I asked her what the hell she had in it and she said it was all stainless strap hinges. I didn't bat an eye at it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Sounds like you could easily become a thousandaire by buying one of everything boltdepot sells and advertising that you actually maintain stock.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The problem with places like that is that customers want a huge selection but will only buy the few they actually need. And even at distributor prices, half a million nuts and bolts are probably rather expensive, plus you need the commercial space to store them.

My previous^4 job had a workshop with a very respectable fastener selection, where the mutual understanding was that you could grab whatever you wanted within reason, no questions asked. I really miss that, pity the pay sucked.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kastein posted:

Sounds like you could easily become a thousandaire by buying one of everything boltdepot sells and advertising that you actually maintain stock.

bolind posted:

My previous^4 job had a workshop with a very respectable fastener selection, where the mutual understanding was that you could grab whatever you wanted within reason, no questions asked. I really miss that, pity the pay sucked.

Sounds like you just weren't maxing out this benefit.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
There is a hardware store in Portland called Wink’s and they seem to have everything under the sun. Need a proprietary fastener for a used towel bar your dumb rear end bought? They have it. Need to replace a boomer thhat your car manufacturer’s dealer says will take 2 months to come in because it’s not made anymore? They have you. Need a handle for your 1960s kitchen cabinets but just want to replace one or two and have it match the old stuff? They might haven have you there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

There was one of those in Seattle area called Hardwicks that I got to go to once prepandemic and then they closed citing %RWNJ_TALKING_POINTS% and immediately moved to Idaho so oh well.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

fins posted:

One of the downsides of living in the Caribbean is there is nowhere like this, not even close. A couple of years ago I needed some M8 hex head bolts. No biggie, go to the hardware store. No dice, they are all out. Next one is also out. And the 3rd one. And the speciality marine store. And that's all of em! Apparently someone also had a project with M8 bolts too, bought out what was on the shelf, everywhere . Due to some incredibly dumb stocking practices It took ~7 months for M8 hex head's to be back on the shelf.

and that's why I bought a CNC lathe

I live in the continental US in a relatively rural place. Oddly, even for me sometimes M8s are hard to find. I really should just buy a big assortment of metric to keep on hand (along with my copper crush washers, O rings, circ clips, cotter pings, etc).

Wandering through Home Depot the other day to pick up trim I spotted this.

I'm not ready to drop $200 on that, but I already have the batteries and there are times when something like that would come in so handy.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I used to order metric fasteners piecemeal as needed since local selection can be spotty, the last time I needed a single nut and bolt I just ordered a whole assortment. It was all of $25 on Amazon for a few hundred stainless nuts bolts and washers in the common metric sizes and just having that on hand has saved my bacon several times.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

nadmonk posted:

I live in the continental US in a relatively rural place. Oddly, even for me sometimes M8s are hard to find. I really should just buy a big assortment of metric to keep on hand (along with my copper crush washers, O rings, circ clips, cotter pings, etc).

Wandering through Home Depot the other day to pick up trim I spotted this.

I'm not ready to drop $200 on that, but I already have the batteries and there are times when something like that would come in so handy.

The M12 ecosystem is really good. Definitely a niche thing but I could see it handy once every few years.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

slidebite posted:

The M12 ecosystem is really good. Definitely a niche thing but I could see it handy once every few years.

I keep debating the M12 ratchet each year around holiday sales season... I see HD already started the bogo battery deals for the M12 Fuel Ratchet (or the submersible stick pump @nadmonk)

I just need to keep telling myself that I don't need it when I've already got a battery impact that gets into most places pretty decently, and I certainly don't need to buy into another battery ecosystem... but drat if I'm not sucked in by sales :ohdear:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Catatron Prime posted:

I keep debating the M12 ratchet each year around holiday sales season... I see HD already started the bogo battery deals for the M12 Fuel Ratchet (or the submersible stick pump @nadmonk)

I just need to keep telling myself that I don't need it when I've already got a battery impact that gets into most places pretty decently, and I certainly don't need to buy into another battery ecosystem... but drat if I'm not sucked in by sales :ohdear:

Same position I'm in. I really want the ratchet since the ryobi one is massive due to the battery layout, but I don't want to buy into another battery manufacturer. Ugh.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

opengl posted:

I used to order metric fasteners piecemeal as needed since local selection can be spotty, the last time I needed a single nut and bolt I just ordered a whole assortment. It was all of $25 on Amazon for a few hundred stainless nuts bolts and washers in the common metric sizes and just having that on hand has saved my bacon several times.

I’ve thought of doing this a Bunch of times because they show up in my recommend list all the time.
How’s the quality? Got a link to what you bought? Thx

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I had the m12 ratchet and it was very nice. Necessary? Absolutely not. But it was just nice to use. Made things all a little easier and better. It got stolen and I am waiting for it to go on super sale to buy it again. So it's good but not oh no I immediately must have another good. But also good enough I will buy it twice.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Suburban Dad posted:

Same position I'm in. I really want the ratchet since the ryobi one is massive due to the battery layout, but I don't want to buy into another battery manufacturer. Ugh.

Yeah, I started out with Ryobi and got some Makita in a sale. I like the Makita, the layout seems better/smaller than the Ryobi, but when I'm shopping and see the cheaper Ryobi tools, those tempt me despite knowing their drawbacks. I guess it's nice to have that option if I need something I know I won't use often.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

builds character posted:

I had the m12 ratchet and it was very nice. Necessary? Absolutely not. But it was just nice to use. Made things all a little easier and better. It got stolen and I am waiting for it to go on super sale to buy it again. So it's good but not oh no I immediately must have another good. But also good enough I will buy it twice.

I have a M12 Fuel 3/8" ratchet and agree with all of this. I haven't used it much on my own cars (I haven't done much for full teardowns... yet) but I brought it to help a friend drop the subframe and replace the clutch on their car and it was great for that.
Not having to swing a ratchet fifty times per bolt on fifty different bolts made the whole pain-in-the-rear end job much less frustrating.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

namlosh posted:

I’ve thought of doing this a Bunch of times because they show up in my recommend list all the time.
How’s the quality? Got a link to what you bought? Thx

This is the one I got. No complaints on quality at all, everything I've used out of it so far has been spot on with threading etc. The box is kind of flimsy I guess but meh.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HQN6B4D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

The only thing I've ordered since getting that is some flange bolts because they just look nicer and closer to OEM and less fiddly than using a bolt + washer depending on the application.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Catatron Prime posted:

This is your year. When you get used to having it you'll use it every chance you can. It's great for drat near everything. Especially if you go digging at the junkyard. Ripping nuts off and letting them hit the floor is a feeling next to godliness.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

boxen posted:

I have a M12 Fuel 3/8" ratchet and agree with all of this. I haven't used it much on my own cars (I haven't done much for full teardowns... yet) but I brought it to help a friend drop the subframe and replace the clutch on their car and it was great for that.
Not having to swing a ratchet fifty times per bolt on fifty different bolts made the whole pain-in-the-rear end job much less frustrating.

Also have the 3/8" ratchet.

Its not for breaking tight things loose, but its definitely good for assembly and disassembly of stuff.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I need to buy my mom one of those. Post if there’s any decent deals beyond the BOGO above; we’ve already got chargers at our houses.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Fellow M12 3/8 ratchet owner chiming in: it's definitely a luxury and not a necessity, but it's a drat good luxury. It really shines on loooong fasteners.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
If anyone in AU/NZ is chasing one of the electric ratchets on the cheap I can vouch for the Supercheap Auto one not being total garbo, its got a slim battery similar in size to the Milwaukee m12 ones I've been too cheap to buy. https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/toolpro-toolpro-12v-brushless-1-2-ratchet-wrench-kit/610597.html $150 with a battery & charger or $70 skin only if you already have some of their stuff.

Weirdly its a 1/2in head but has no where near enough torque to justify it, but it does come with a 1/2in - 3/8in adapter. It's kinda heavy and loud and only 150rpm, but it's been super handy for the couple of small jobs I've done with it already. 3 year warranty too, and good reviews for the price.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
M12 ratchet is really great, still as slim as the air powered one and its so nice to not have to deal with the air hose. Its probably 95% as strong as the air powered one that just lives in the drawer now.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Only issue I ever had with the M12 ratchet is that it's not supposed to be used "as a ratchet" like if something is a bit too tight you're not supposed to yank on the thing** to break it loose which you can do with the metal air powered ones.

**I do anyway, don't tell Milwaukee.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Only issue I ever had with the M12 ratchet is that it's not supposed to be used "as a ratchet" like if something is a bit too tight you're not supposed to yank on the thing** to break it loose which you can do with the metal air powered ones.

**I do anyway, don't tell Milwaukee.

That's all of them and we all do this.

Even my harbor freight one (which I love so much more than my air screamer) has been fine with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Torque test channel has tested all sorts of ratchets hand cranked to 150ft/lbs no problem.

E: Also just read the manual for the 3/8ths fuel and it doesn't say poo poo about hand cranking.

deimos fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 30, 2023