Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thought this was very well-done:

https://youtu.be/Bqfi1KQc_to?si=S3xJ1BiBMwy9DtRL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Shard posted:

Randomly thinking about that time in star wars when the planet gun shot a laser that turned into 5 other lasers that hit all the planets in a solar system at the same time within minutes of firing from a different solar system. Just thinking about how stupid fast the laser would have to be going to get to another solar system that quickly and how it could possibly hit different planets at the same time in a solar system.

Did ya'll know space was really big?

At this point it's tough to imagine how they can escalate death stars further next time one pops up. I guess it could threaten to destroy the whole galaxy, but in this post ahsoka world even that is not fully stakeful. I guess you take inspiration from the greats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpYGyKQBZQ0

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 28, 2023

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Shard posted:

Randomly thinking about that time in star wars when the planet gun shot a laser that turned into 5 other lasers that hit all the planets in a solar system at the same time within minutes of firing from a different solar system. Just thinking about how stupid fast the laser would have to be going to get to another solar system that quickly and how it could possibly hit different planets at the same time in a solar system.

They mentioned that the "lasers" were travelling at hyperspeed aka faster than light so just think of it as another thing in the star wars universe that is not actually a laser yet is called a laser.

Originally it was going to fire a weird ball of energy that travelled through hyperspace and made the star of the hosnian system go supernova, which would have been more interesting.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

No Mods No Masters posted:

At this point it's tough to imagine how they can escalate death stars further next time one pops up. I guess it could threaten to destroy the whole galaxy, but in this post ahsoka world even that is not fully stakeful. I guess you take inspiration from the greats

How bout a life star, that builds new planets out of stars or w/e so it's evil

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There are of course a lot of ideas that are valid escalations but too complicated to explain to the audience in a JJ brain level film.

Doubtless they considered eg something that makes stars go supernova, but JJ does not trust anyone to understand what a supernova is, if he even knows himself

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
how about a pair of Death Stars hanging out together, they already did that with suns

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Assepoester posted:

They mentioned that the "lasers" were travelling at hyperspeed aka faster than light so just think of it as another thing in the star wars universe that is not actually a laser yet is called a laser.

Originally it was going to fire a weird ball of energy that travelled through hyperspace and made the star of the hosnian system go supernova, which would have been more interesting.

So, like spock's ship in star trek?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

FunkyAl posted:

So, like spock's ship in star trek?
I think Red Matter just makes black holes, but he was going to use the Red Matter Black Hole to STOP the explosion wave of the star going supernova somehow?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

YaketySass posted:

how about a pair of Death Stars hanging out together, they already did that with suns

They should have them connected to a massive lightsaber

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Assepoester posted:

That's the Suncrusher, and officially when I wrote off the books as a teen.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Darko posted:

That's the Suncrusher, and officially when I wrote off the books as a teen.

The Galaxy Gun pre-dates the Suncrusher as a thing that launches energy projectiles through hyperspace to destroy planets. The Suncrusher had to get up close to blow up stars but it was also effectively indestructible.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Shard posted:

Lmao the canon explanation is just insane, just like all of Star Wars

quote:

During this process, the dark energy transformed to a state known as "phantom energy," and left the planet behind, tearing a hole through hyperspace along a perfectly linear path. The beam of energy was specifically designed to be seen across the galaxy, meant to encourage surrender to the First Order.

The people stationed at the base called the dimension through which the phantom energy beam traveled "sub-hyperspace," and this method of delivering the payload was near-instantaneous across vast distances...The space-time disruption caused by the phantom energy's passage would make the nova instantaneously visible thousands of light years away, for a short time.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

And people say pablo doesn't justify his paycheck. SMH

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Shard posted:

JJ Abrams has some sort of grudge against the concept of distance. That's why in his Star Trek film, he just has characters able to beam across interplanetary distances. If he had his way, all science fiction would take place in a single small room.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Angry Salami posted:

JJ Abrams has some sort of grudge against the concept of distance. That's why in his Star Trek film, he just has characters able to beam across interplanetary distances. If he had his way, all science fiction would take place in a single small room.

It does. It's called the Volume.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It does. It's called the Volume.

:vince:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

YaketySass posted:

Padme trying to calm Anakin down by talking about that time she ran over a Gungan kid and it was NBD

lmao

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

Kyp Durron has entered the chat

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Shard posted:

I like the idea of pressing a button to activate your super weapon and being like “Man, in 100 years these guys are toast! Any way, what to do until then…”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dr.Radical posted:

I like the idea of pressing a button to activate your super weapon and being like “Man, in 100 years these guys are toast! Any way, what to do until then…”

Plan one hell of a 'I did it thirty five minutes ago' speech.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I wonder if astronomers in Star Wars ever use super powerful telescopes to rewatch old space battles from the distant past that still have their light travelling through the galaxy.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Robot Style posted:

I wonder if astronomers in Star Wars ever use super powerful telescopes to rewatch old space battles from the distant past that still have their light travelling through the galaxy.
I think at that point we're getting into the "FTL just completely and irreversibly fucks up causality" conversation

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

That's all peanuts compared to Force Diodes' instant transmission techniques

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FTL is effectively magic anyway. Same with artificial gravity. It works however you want.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
loving magnets how do they work

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

There has to be lots of icp Jedi and sith and I wish to see none of it!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

You can even use FTL to kill the bad guys, but it follows Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey rules (only the good guys can use it)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Upsidads posted:

There has to be lots of icp Jedi and sith and I wish to see none of it!

This is why Sheev dropped Maul.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Technically, Obi-wan dropped him. Twice.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

"Juggle this"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

This novelty star wars burlesque calendar made me realize no SW media has ever featured a Sith lighting a cigarettedeathstick like this which is frankly a failure of imagination

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

This novelty star wars burlesque calendar made me realize no SW media has ever featured a Sith lighting a cigarettedeathstick like this which is frankly a failure of imagination

IIRC, Death Sticks in the EU suppress the Force

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I wanna see Sheev light one with force lightning

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Wolfsheim posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBSewLRGDao

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

its 2023 we vape lightsabers now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOtfrLzsjzI

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 3, 2023

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
C-3PO has circled around back to Metropolis Robot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bogus Adventure posted:

IIRC, Death Sticks in the EU suppress the Force

There is an established Sith practice of using Spice to enhance Force powers, though

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

There's a traveling Star Wars burlesque show called The Empire Strips Back. It was in Seattle when I was there and then is coming to my city now.

Darko fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 4, 2023

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Darko posted:

There's a traveling Star Wars burlesque show called The Enpire Strips Back. It was in Seattle when I was there and then is coming to my city now.

Was just told about them last night actually, in my city for the next couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Ahsoka ended plot-wise about how I thought. Overall a better series than I expected, albeit with a lot of fluff. I wonder if someone could edit it down to a <2 hour movie (leaving most of Ep 5 intact).

One achievement of the show, for me, is that they didn't make it super obvious they were using Volume poo poo the whole time. It's amazing tech but on some shows / movies you can really tell.

It's really a shame about Ray Stevenson, his character was cool as hell and I want to see more. As far as fallen Jedi antagonists go, I put people like what's her name from Obi-Wan as the worst (cartoonish cocky person out for vengeance) and people like him at the best (morally compromised but still with their own set of values and agenda).

Also my phone autocorrected "cartoonish" to "cartoonist" and now I'm imagining an evil Jedi that makes webcomics on the side.