Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

there’s no way they actually killed him, probably gave him a smaller cell in a deeper sub basement

Smaller? Dude handed the UC a shiny new bioweapon. They probably added a harem wing to his cell and upped his permissible scheme allotment to two per month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It is pretty silly that a Freestar Ranger can be invited to UC cabinet meetings and privy to the highest level state secrets. I think they should have made these two factions mutually exclusive

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

It is pretty silly that a Freestar Ranger can be invited to UC cabinet meetings and privy to the highest level state secrets. I think they should have made these two factions mutually exclusive

Yeah, it's weird, I get that they want you to be able to join all of the major factions, but they also went out of their way to make the UC and Freestar character creation treats mutually exclusive so clearly they understand on some level that you can't be both.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I played drunk a couple of days ago now when I logged in I still have the quest I last remembered (freestar confront rich guy) and both Sarah and Andreja are furious with me. And there’s a freestar bounty.

So 2 questions:
1 - is there any way to figure out what the hell I did? I ran into a spaceship and stole it without shooting anybody, which Sarah didn’t seem to care about at the time.

2 - If I want Andreja to not get of at the next port do I just do stuff with her when I have that increase companion affinity med running?

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

VostokProgram posted:

This is the main thing I wanted to RP when I picked UC native on character creation: being a Freestar hater. It has literally never come up once ( I thought you guys were in a civil war like 6 months ago). Never got a Freestar hating dialogue option or plotline in all of the UC vanguard stuff.

Random note: some of the best color on the setting has been from conversations with the named but non-constellation crew members. Marika Boros has a lot of opinions on what a piece of poo poo Hopetown and the FC in general is, how comparatively nice the UC is, then her discovering the Well and then saying ah yeah UC still wins , but like.... bearly.... she even ends by saying "maybe we need an entirely new government free from corruption of the major factions" and if you encourage her she says "yeah actually I would like to start a new settlement with a less poo poo political system..." and I'm just sitting here like: I wanna play *that* game! build a settlement and grow it until the UC, FC, CF, Corporations or anyone else start trying to take you out and how do you deal with that?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

WampaLord posted:

Yeah, it's weird, I get that they want you to be able to join all of the major factions, but they also went out of their way to make the UC and Freestar character creation treats mutually exclusive so clearly they understand on some level that you can't be both.

I mean, does it block you from doing either uc or freestar quest lines if you're in the middle of the crimson fleet story?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Oh man I finally got an Old World Shotgun

Not sure if I'm gonna need any other weapon going fore-ward

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

WampaLord posted:

No it makes sense because you are a very unique and special StarBoy. You have special and unique StarBro powers that are only visible to constellation members and other StarBoos. They are real.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Meowywitch posted:

Oh man I finally got an Old World Shotgun

Not sure if I'm gonna need any other weapon going fore-ward

It kicks rear end and its one of the worst shotguns, dps wise. Shotguns are a liiiiiitle overtuned lol

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mr. Pool posted:

It kicks rear end and its one of the worst shotguns, dps wise. Shotguns are a liiiiiitle overtuned lol

Not when I'm slowing down time! Beewwwwwwww

BLAM
BLAM
BLAM
BLAM

*all at once four death groans when time goes normal*

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

forget what I said earlier...

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Meowywitch posted:

forget what I said earlier...

Now add Hornet's Nests or Slugs.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

WampaLord posted:

It could mutate into something that kills people.

Given everything we went through (and are still going through) with Covid, I though the microbe was a very short sighted choice given that the alien dinosaurs will also fix the problem without any potential side effects other than some random cow tipper getting eaten cause he wanted to gently caress with them.

At one point they reference a "1-in-a-million chance of mutation". You're talking about an aerosolized microbe, you'd have thousands of 1-in-a-million events every day on every planet in the known system. The game doesn't acknowledge this because it's pop-sci nonsense, but those are really bad odds when you're dealing with poo poo that can go haywire in unknown ways.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

The Lone Badger posted:

The funny bit about the super-advanced cutting-edge techbro MAG weapons... is that they've been specifically placed in hundred-year-old undisturbed caches. Not even as a levelled-list thing, hand-placed.

i don’t remember the story at this point but there was some story beat where the relevant topic was lack of food and water. there were a couple containers they overlooked that had food and water in the leveled list. welp

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

infernal machines posted:

At one point they reference a "1-in-a-million chance of mutation". You're talking about an aerosolized microbe, you'd have thousands of 1-in-a-million events every day on every planet in the known system. The game doesn't acknowledge this because it's pop-sci nonsense, but those are really bad odds when you're dealing with poo poo that can go haywire in unknown ways.

Yeah, exactly. The whole time they were discussing the microbe option my brain just kept going "well, we've had how many variants of covid by now, and we're only ONE planet, this seems like a BAD idea"

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

widespread posted:

Now add Hornet's Nests or Slugs.

Just having an advanced tier shotgun with max ballistics , 0 ranks in shotgun, and slug shots lets me one or two shot any starborn . Shooting them down like an annoying space slug always makes me laugh.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

WampaLord posted:

Yeah, exactly. The whole time they were discussing the microbe option my brain just kept going "well, we've had how many variants of covid by now, and we're only ONE planet, this seems like a BAD idea"

I thought about it from the other way: what if one in a million terrormorphs are microbe resistant, and go on to fully reproduce in secret on some backwater, only to explode in population a decade after we airdropped a bioweapon all over and dusted off our hands and burned all the records. Aceles provide round the clock protection, and if terrormorphs mutate , Aceles can adapt! Literally every constellation member disagrees with you if you pick the Aceles and keep the lazarus tree, and ALL of them give you a condescending answer about maybe u just don't understand science bud.... I kind of expect it from the extra reddit people like Barret and Sarah, but hearing it from Andreja or ??? Sam Coe??? made no sense to me. They just temporarily retconned them into not just scientists but condescending scientists for that random block of text.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Remulak posted:

I played drunk a couple of days ago now when I logged in I still have the quest I last remembered (freestar confront rich guy) and both Sarah and Andreja are furious with me. And there’s a freestar bounty.

So 2 questions:
1 - is there any way to figure out what the hell I did? I ran into a spaceship and stole it without shooting anybody, which Sarah didn’t seem to care about at the time.

2 - If I want Andreja to not get of at the next port do I just do stuff with her when I have that increase companion affinity med running?

I had a freestar bounty from contraband and fast traveled to a landing pad where the guards immediately attacked me (or maybe I did something to make them attack me) which made Andreja mad and abandon being my companion. I got the mad dialog in my ship but after paying off my bounty and loving around for a bit I eventually got a message she wasn't mad at me anymore. No idea if I did anything to increase her regard or if it was just time based.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

WampaLord posted:

Especially with the NG+ structure, you think it would be an easy choice to make them mutually exclusive.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mr. Pool posted:

Literally every constellation member disagrees with you if you pick the Aceles and keep the lazarus tree, and ALL of them give you a condescending answer about maybe u just don't understand science bud.... I kind of expect it from the extra reddit people like Barret and Sarah, but hearing it from Andreja or ??? Sam Coe??? made no sense to me. They just temporarily retconned them into not just scientists but condescending scientists for that random block of text.

This was also dumb and bad, yes. I had Sam along my first time through and he was with me the whole way about the Aceles, agreeing that they were a more natural and harmonious solution, but then make the actual decision and he starts grumping about how the microbe is better and Science Rules and as you said, that attitude really only makes sense for Barrett/Sarah.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Someone said it's a bug, but I don't see how that can be since they recorded dialogue for it. Unless they recorded both, had some plans about you having to convince people or something, and cut it. Also, you have all the monday morning quarterback rear end takes, you should have said something sooner. I was frankly surprised they all even knew what I fid because it's not like they opine about all the other wild poo poo I do.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
On londinion:

what the hell was I doing with the antennas to make all the terrormorphs want to kill the big daddy and not attack me when they were done

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Jack B Nimble posted:

Someone said it's a bug, but I don't see how that can be since they recorded dialogue for it. Unless they recorded both, had some plans about you having to convince people or something, and cut it. Also, you have all the monday morning quarterback rear end takes, you should have said something sooner. I was frankly surprised they all even knew what I fid because it's not like they opine about all the other wild poo poo I do.

Sarah has the courage of her convictions at least, if you bring her to the cabinet meeting and you make any choice she doesn't like, she will pipe up right then and there "that choice is a mistake and millions will die because of it, you should not do that" . Like you heinous bitch? you're going to contradict me in front of the president? You couldn't have said anything in the loving elevator??" The funny part is it doesn't even trigger a 'Sara disliked that' which really puts a bow on my headcanon that Sarah is just a sociopathic narcissist with a polished exterior. *This* is how she acts when she *isn't* angry :catstare: . She had no trouble agreeing to a shotgun wedding a few days after and in later conversation shrugs off our quote "difference of opinion" on millions dying or not.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Retrowave Joe posted:

I’m not sure but I’ll check next time I play. They make pretty frequent deliveries while you’re puttering around your outpost.

I rebuilt those myself and I can post up a quick guide of what parts they use, if anyone is curious.
I also made a 'Large' version of the cargo ships.

Tonka Space Trucks

DarkDobe posted:

I have managed to rebuild the cargo hauler ships that you might see ferrying stuff between your outposts.
There is one concession I had to make: the cargo haulers do not have a docker module, so I put one on the front, instead of the bumpers.
I also built it in B class, where the original looks like A parts (at least the shield generator)

The original:

My rebuild:

I can provide a parts list if desired.
This ship can be tweaked a good deal, including more cargo - but there is a limit to how much the landing gear can support. You can also play around with the livable space: it's 4 hab modules 'long' so you can have a two 2x1s or a 3x1 and a 1x1
It uses mostly hopetech parts, so you'll have to visit the planet to get it built. Some things like the big fuel tanks and the strut/bracers along the top are alternate versions you have to left/right or Zflip your way to finding.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 28, 2023

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

WampaLord posted:

This was also dumb and bad, yes. I had Sam along my first time through and he was with me the whole way about the Aceles, agreeing that they were a more natural and harmonious solution, but then make the actual decision and he starts grumping about how the microbe is better and Science Rules and as you said, that attitude really only makes sense for Barrett/Sarah.

Honestly I haven't done any of the MQ post getting to New Atlantis and I'm glad. I'm just running around with Hadrian and some random I picked up in a bar It's like running around with the Amulet of Kings permanently in your inventory.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Just been finishing some of the faction storylines and ready to move on with the final (?) mission of the main story. Went to dig up a dagger with Andreja and got space married.

Vanguard: a very good questline. Someone said this could've almost been the main storyline, which is a pretty good description. I installed the dinobros, told Hadrian her father was still alive (although not at the first possible time, on Londinion)and got Freestar involved. Despite earlier comments, Andreja didn't say anything about the decision whether or not she thought it was a bad choice.

Crimson Fleet: enjoyed this one a lot too. A good old treasure hunt. The set pieces, especially on the Kryx, were excellent. I usually always do a "good" run on the first time, but here it didn't feel right at all to side with SysDef, since the other side was just so much more interesting.

Ryujin: Actually a bit disappointed with this. It just went all over the place. A couple of missions, especially last one, made a big deal about stealth, and you can just as well just go in guns blazing, no repercussions aside from a [Sarcastic] reply from Masako. I enjoyed the backstabbing and espionage aspects way more than the stealth missions.

Best main storyline quest has been Entangled, although I did have to cheat and look up a solution where both realities could be saved. A close second is the Titan guided tour with Bill.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 28, 2023

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Ignore my previous questions, the good/bad thing about this game is that there are no permanent consequences that lock off future options, or at least not many.

Now I’m annoyed that I read enough spoilers to not murder some people, but the game won’t move forward until I do. See point about ‘no permanent consequences I guess’.

Edit: oh shoot people already down nonleathally ok…

Remulak fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 28, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Been playing the 2077 DLC and it's reminding me how colorful games are and the completely washed out look of Starfield is terrible

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Things were going well. My companions and I were traveling the galaxy, kicking rear end, and making good money.

But Sam decided to bring Cora with us on our missions. She almost got killed, and saw gruesome murder scenes. She was traumatized and ended up in therapy.

The authorities found out and we got convicted of child endangerment. We lost our jobs. My wife and Andreja and I had to sell our Mercury Tower Penthouse and our custom made starship to pay for lawyers and restitution. We also had to pay a large bribe to the judge to avoid prison time. We pooled what little money we had left and bought a Sleepcrate in Neon City. It was all we could afford.

The moment we first arrived, disciple gang members came and shot the place up. Not a good start. You never get used to the smell of rotten fish guts. And you hear chatter from loiters all night long.

We made friends with a lady named Vicky. We later learned she was an Aurora dealer.

She gave us both free samples. We decided to numb ourselves. I’m guilt ridden from the 8 people who I killed when I threw a grenade into the astral lounge after mixing aurora with bourbon and having a psychotic episode. Andreja is self medicating the ptsd she had from her dark past. We fell victim to all of Neon City's vices. The Aurora started feeling weaker and we moved on to harder stuff.

We’re taking 30 skooma capsules a day now. We dissolve moon sugar in water and shoot it up like smack. We drink beer when we cant get drug money. They tried to get us to take addictol, but we said no, no, no. To support our addictions, we resort to petty theft and shoplifting.

Whatever looks shiny and expensive, we snatch it and sell it to the trade authority. I sometimes let Andreja keep certain pieces she likes. She has a lucrative side hustle. I told her I don’t want to know about it.

She used to have such strong morals. But she no longer has the luxury of being ethical. I keep promising her that we’re gonna dig our way out of this hole. We’ll find one big score, and have enough money to buy a new starship, leave this dump of a city, and start over as freelancers. She dreams of having a vacation in Paradiso. Thats why she likes wearing the swimsuit. Well, its mostly because its hot in the Sleepcrate.

Role playing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Barreft posted:

Been playing the 2077 DLC and it's reminding me how colorful games are and the completely washed out look of Starfield is terrible

I'm making sure I'm really done with Starfield for a while because once I fire up Cyberpunk for the new patch and DLC all the issues with Starfield are going to be too much to ignore.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

moist turtleneck posted:

On londinion:

what the hell was I doing with the antennas to make all the terrormorphs want to kill the big daddy and not attack me when they were done

They handwave some nonsense about the other fauna being controlled by pheromones or some poo poo, but then, also, turning on the bombed out radar makes them go nuts and attack the terrormorph. None of this matters if you just focus fire on the terrormorph because it'll die in about 30 seconds and then the other animals are immediately non-hostile because they use vampire thrall rules or something

This is "I loving love science!" the game. It's all nonsense, it's not even particularly internally consistent, but whatever, just go have fun with it.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 29, 2023

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Mr. Pool posted:

I thought about it from the other way: what if one in a million terrormorphs are microbe resistant, and go on to fully reproduce in secret on some backwater, only to explode in population a decade after we airdropped a bioweapon all over and dusted off our hands and burned all the records. Aceles provide round the clock protection, and if terrormorphs mutate , Aceles can adapt! Literally every constellation member disagrees with you if you pick the Aceles and keep the lazarus tree, and ALL of them give you a condescending answer about maybe u just don't understand science bud.... I kind of expect it from the extra reddit people like Barret and Sarah, but hearing it from Andreja or ??? Sam Coe??? made no sense to me. They just temporarily retconned them into not just scientists but condescending scientists for that random block of text.

The Aceles just seemed like a joke answer. Like terrormorphs can still exist on a rando backwater planet where you don't re-introduce Aceles and Terrormorph attacks could still occur anyway. And what about any city like New Atlantis? Just going to have giant rear end Aceles parrot monsters all crammed up in The Well?? People relaxing on Paridiso while Aceles are wading around in the water slurping up leeches? What if the Aceles just kinda wander off and aren't within 100km of a terrormorph hive?

And besides they were talking about cloning a whole load of Aceles anyway chance that mutating Aceles into Super-Terrormorphs seems the same as the chance of an engineered microbe randomly going kill-all-humans

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The science is all made up and completely arbitrary and it doesn't matter which option you choose because neither has any negative consequences in the game as-is. That said, if you're presented with the choice of existing predatory fauna that is a known quantity, having been farmed and herded across the system for years, or a brand new custom built contagion with a "one-in-a million chance of mutation", one of those things is guaranteed to be a lot safer than the other.

I can only hope they introduce some kind of follow up for the choice in the DLC, even if it's just something on SSNN radio or whatever.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 28, 2023

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Ran into Grandma yesterday. Boarding a ship to lasagna instead of murderous assholes was surprisingly nice.

Want the habs with knit rugs and blankets though

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

infernal machines posted:

I can only hope they introduce some kind of follow up for the choice in the DLC, even if it's just something on SSNN radio or whatever.
I've not encountered it myself, but other people have mentioned that, after finishing the quest and picking the incredibly obvious only correct choice of "giant armored dinosaur parrots", they have seen said "giant armored dinosaur parrots" loving up terrormorphs on some random planet they landed on later. One can hope.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Gonna have to start planet hopping just to find that

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

appropriatemetaphor posted:

And besides they were talking about cloning a whole load of Aceles anyway chance that mutating Aceles into Super-Terrormorphs seems the same as the chance of an engineered microbe randomly going kill-all-humans

Sure, I guess, if you don't know anything about any of the sciences that would be involved that does sound like a reasonable assumption

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
I like the temple stuff ever so slightly more now, poor Sam was floating at the wrong place when I got the last sparkle and I got to see him get smacked by the rings as they reached full speed, sent him tumbling.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Azhais posted:

You can't claim to simulate an economy when a coffee is 25% of the cost of a starship module

I think it's worth recognizing that the scale of the game means that there's no possible economy model that would make sense. If they modeled it like a real economy, then there's no way for you to care about the value of a single spacesuit or shotgun if you're wealthy enough to be buying and refitting spaceships capable of fighting multiple military-grade warships in a single encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

On ng++ and the Starborn ship still sucks compared to the star eagle.

e: also who figured out my xbox icon issue, you rock. I can play the game high again.