Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm looking forward to the pain of Death Wind II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

shyduck posted:

I'm looking forward to the pain of Death Wind II

Tomorrow!

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/article/edd75773-8c0f-46e8-91d0-37e0984fc019

Queen League will be added, White Land II is GP only (not a surprise)

Death Wind II added to Pro Tracks.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I made it to the end of a grand prix for the first time tonight. I'm S- ranked.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Here's an image of every possible machine color and decal, if you're so inclined.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Tracks are live

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I wonder how the skyway strategy works for each car in Death Wind II. For The Wild Goose it feels like the way to go is to use it right after the last dash pad on the course so you are on the course during the twisty section where your superior handling and armor can get all of those boosts and not get bounced around. For the Golden Fox you definitely want to take it through that section since you will get bounced around. Falcon I think can handle it. I'm not sure about the Stingray.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
These new tracks are super fun.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Wildtortilla posted:

These new tracks are super fun.

Yeah they are. I wish I could get even one of my friends to play this game.

Grand Prix's are so demoralizing. I think every one almost goes for me:
40th place > 8th place > 5th place > 32nd place rank out.

I just feel so impotent on Death Wind as a stingray. I get to the start line behind the cutoff and can hardly ever make it up.

I joined a GP today where there were like 8 of us, then the rest filled with computer racers for some reason. Thought it was my chance to get 1st, but I almost lost a couple of races cause of my own hubris and explosive bumpers. I did get 20th on Death wind though, so got that badge for lowest passing rank.

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 30, 2023

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

If a bumper rams me off the course while I'm airborne one more time, I'm throwing my switch out the window

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

The universe put a twist on what I just complained about. Got bumped into a ramp basically completely sideways and flew off the track at an angle that seemed impossible to recover from. I love this stupid game.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Good News - bad news:

I'm worried the game is dying because all of my GPs today have had like 6-15 human racers in them.

On the plus side, I got my 1st place in the Knight Cup

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
How can you tell who's a bot?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm worried the game is dying because all of my GPs today have had like 6-15 human racers in them.

Is it lonely racing at S+ with the other royalty? (Kidding - but my performance has topped out at A for now)

I do think there'll be a chilling effect as people go from "wheee go fast in future cars while rivals explode" to "This is only the third race in the Grand Prix, whaddya mean I ranked out? I'm good at this game!"

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Bleck posted:

How can you tell who's a bot?

Well, players trickle in, then when the timer goes to 0, it fills up with a bunch of generic names. And you can tell it's significantly less competitive

Space Fish posted:

Is it lonely racing at S+ with the other royalty? (Kidding - but my performance has topped out at A for now)

Is this the reason? I'm S-. I'm getting A's though in my GPs. Wouldn't think it would be hard to fill 99 racers

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Lavender posted:

Good News - bad news:

I haven't noticed many bots at all in my games. Are the bots the ones with names like "David" or whatever? The last GP I did looked pretty legit. Wouldn't mind a bot GP so I could do better than 3rd.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

MassRafTer posted:

I haven't noticed many bots at all in my games. Are the bots the ones with names like "David" or whatever? The last GP I did looked pretty legit. Wouldn't mind a bot GP so I could do better than 3rd.

I would literally never win a GP with 99 players. Some of the names are generic like David - but the real tell is watching the pre-race lobby. See how many are in there before the timer runs out. Maybe I'm in some bermuda triangle region with no players.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Could be timezones as well. I only get bots when I play outside of US hours.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Lavender posted:

I would literally never win a GP with 99 players. Some of the names are generic like David - but the real tell is watching the pre-race lobby. See how many are in there before the timer runs out. Maybe I'm in some bermuda triangle region with no players.

My lobby looks basically full every time, maybe a 99 race will have 97 or so when the timer runs out but I haven't really noticed it below full or close to full.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Lavender posted:

Good News - bad news:

It didn't even occur to me but how did you do a Knight League GP today? I've only seen Queen League.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's a really good game. I can see getting good with it through determination and regular practice, but I just can't devote that time. I managed to finish 15th in a Queen Cup though, getting the rest of the maps. I like these harder maps, they definitely separate the wheat from the chaff. I'm going to try to play with a bit more regularity instead of only when new stuff comes out.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

most people I know just put their name as their Nintendo profile name. "David" is probably a game named David

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

MassRafTer posted:

It didn't even occur to me but how did you do a Knight League GP today? I've only seen Queen League.

I have no idea. I'm Mountain Time US. It was Knight League this morning. Queen League now. I'm confused and frightened

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Don't forget its 3 tickets per GP so casual players might not be picking them back up as quickly

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Captain Lavender posted:

I have no idea. I'm Mountain Time US. It was Knight League this morning. Queen League now. I'm confused and frightened

Your game might not have patched, so you were only matched with other people on the pre-Queen League version.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Minor gripe but the KO system seems a bit finicky. I'm not sure how it truly works

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You take out a guy and get healed up and extend your power bar. There’s not much to get. Dash or spin into smoking cars to eliminate them.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
Killing bumpers gets you the energy extension but not the full restore, just a small restore. I have seen people who've made Grand Prix winning strategies of focusing on killing bumpers in the first couple races, then using the extended gauge to dominate the rest of the Prix.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Truxton posted:

Killing bumpers gets you the energy extension but not the full restore, just a small restore. I have seen people who've made Grand Prix winning strategies of focusing on killing bumpers in the first couple races, then using the extended gauge to dominate the rest of the Prix.

It does seem like killing grey bumpers doesn't always get you credit for a KO. I'm also unsure if knocking someone into the side gives you a KO or not, doesn't seem like it always does.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

there is a timing window where if someone you knock into a wall dies within that window you get the credit for the ko

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think its both a timing window and also you have to be the last person to have touched them. so sometimes you'll send someone bouncing around and someone else will tap them and steal the kill, even if they wouldve died without that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also this would be cool as hell but i feel like at most we'll get the bs cars (the row just below the original 4)

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

It does seem like killing grey bumpers doesn't always get you credit for a KO. I'm also unsure if knocking someone into the side gives you a KO or not, doesn't seem like it always does.
Yeah this is my issue too, not what KOs are but the actual mechanics, I should've been clearer in my earlier post. Seems to happen with gray bumpers where I'm fairly confident I killed it but it's not counted.

Truxton posted:

I've started to play around with this myself. Seems viable but my skills need to catch up

shyduck fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 1, 2023

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'm 0/5 on finishing Queen League so far. To say I'm frustrated at this is a massive understatement.

E: 0/6, gently caress off red bumpers

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 1, 2023

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Truxton posted:

As a Gooser, this is basically the only way it's possible for me to even get close to a win. Only 99 win I've managed to nab was a race where I happened to luck into four KOs in the first two laps.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Manoueverable posted:

I'm 0/5 on finishing Queen League so far. To say I'm frustrated at this is a massive understatement.

E: 0/6, gently caress off red bumpers

I use the Golden Fox specifically to finish races. It's recovery allows you to take some vicious beatings and still be ready for the next lap. The acceleration helps to as you ease up on the gas and can now jump back up pretty safely. I'm not winning races, but I can finish them.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I played way too much this weekend and ended up in 300th place on the Queen Cup leaderboard.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

There was no touching him. He was simply Gone, every time...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bleck posted:

There was no touching him. He was simply Gone, every time...

Faced a guy like that, had three of my best races and got three distant seconds.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

grieving for Gandalf posted:

"David" is probably a game named David

Don't bother, the series didn't get good until David Gear Solid on the Playstation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

(Edit: ^^^^ I always preferred the PSP game Metal Gear David: Reece Walker.)

Why does my spin get refilled instantly seemingly at random? I realize it's likely not random, but there's so much poo poo going on, I can't really pay attention to much else.

I put this game down for a couple of weeks, but got back into it hardcore last night. Unlocked a bunch of stuff. I'm still only around level 12, but I think I'll be playing more regularly now.