Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mederlock posted:

Yeah I should amend that by saying I only actually own one Starrett product, their dividers. The rest of my work squares are Empire and Stanley, anything more expensive and they get stolen out of the crew's gang-box. For combo squares ALWAYS get the all-metal ones, with a metal tightening screw. Avoid the plastic thumbscrew ones like the plague.
Lol yeah the text for the one I linked literally reads:

quote:

These are a nice upgrade from home center combo squares. So if you need a decent job site tool, but wish to keep your Starrett tools safely in the shop, these squares will fill the bill nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have this band saw, it's the first I've owned. I recently put a 10tpi blade in it to replace the one that came with it which looked about 6tpi. I'm making a knife handle which, right now, is in the form:

10mm birch
1mm G10
1mm G10
10mm birch

Each side has the birch glued to the G10 with epoxy, and the G10 is held together temporarily in the middle with cyanoacrylate.

My problem is that the blade is really struggling to cut it, requiring too much pressure against it and so it ends up burning the material - but without that pressure it just isn't cutting. Since it's my first band saw I'm not sure why this is - is it because the teeth are too dense? It's well within the saw's thickness capability and it seemed to cut through these materials individually just fine. Not sure if there are any other details that are relevant.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Thanks for the recs.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What kind of square do you need? These are totally fine: https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/precisioncombinationsquare12.aspx. Get a starrett if you really want one, but I don't think you will see any practical difference. Whatever large framing square I have gotten at any big box store has always been square enough too. Woodpeckers has always seemed to exist in the 'great marketing that promises to solve your problem but really you don't actually need this and oh btw it costs 3x as much as it should' area of the woodworking world, but I've also never used any of their stuff so maybe it really is just bees knees. If you're stuff is consistently coming out not square, it probably isn't because your square isn't square enough.

I was thinking it would be useful to have something like the woodpeckers 1812 or 2616. A solid fixed 90 with the offset height on the side. Certainly not necissary and not the fir price. Seems like engineers squares are the keyword.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

An engineer or machinist's square needs to be extremely accurate, like to within thousandths, and that is more accuracy than basically any woodworking project requires. Wood just naturally moves more than that, if you're trying to maintain that kind of precision in this material you're likely to come to some grief.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
The real value of a precision square is setting up machinery and jigs, and serving as a reference for your daily use squares. If you use a precision square on the reg you're bound to drop it or knock it off your bench and then poof it's worthless (it's probably fine but you'll never trust it again). Am engineer, have engineer brain, and an engineer square.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's definitely a rabbit hole you can go down. I would advise woodworkers to try to avoid it. There's plenty of other gear you can spend your bucks on that will pay you back better in terms of making projects.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
A cheap set of machinist squares are going to be cheaper than anything woodpeckers and probably more accurate than anything you'll ever need.

A three piece set of shinwa stainless steel carpenter squares is cheaper than the 2" woodpeckers square.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I got an engineer square from Lee Valley for not too much money and I use it for checking tools and jigs and it stays in a box in a drawer otherwise.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

NomNomNom posted:

Am engineer, have engineer brain, and an engineer square.

As an engineer, all you need is chair. Fancy squares not required.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
https://www.dasqua.co.uk/product-category/dasqua-black-red-plus-woodworking-tools/

Canadian BusyBee locations are getting a bunch of their stuff.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Olothreutes posted:

As an engineer, all you need is chair. Fancy squares not required.

you can absolutely use any perpendicular-ish thing around the woodshop and get a more precise angle than you need, just don't reference a cut off the thing you referenced off the thing you referenced off the chair or you'll start to have problems

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I have this band saw, it's the first I've owned. I recently put a 10tpi blade in it to replace the one that came with it which looked about 6tpi. I'm making a knife handle which, right now, is in the form:

10mm birch
1mm G10
1mm G10
10mm birch

Each side has the birch glued to the G10 with epoxy, and the G10 is held together temporarily in the middle with cyanoacrylate.

My problem is that the blade is really struggling to cut it, requiring too much pressure against it and so it ends up burning the material - but without that pressure it just isn't cutting. Since it's my first band saw I'm not sure why this is - is it because the teeth are too dense? It's well within the saw's thickness capability and it seemed to cut through these materials individually just fine. Not sure if there are any other details that are relevant.

Try going back to the stock blade.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I got a "blemished" PEC combination square for a very reasonable price, but it looks like they're sold out currently

Edit: This site also sells them https://www.harryepstein.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Squares+pec+blemished

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 29, 2023

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I bought the woodpeckers combination square because I have more dollars than sense. It's pretty nice though.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I only use sine bars and gage blocks when setting up my miter cuts. Anything less than that you might as well just chop your miters with a dull hatchet. :smuggo:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Only reason I spend a bit extra on knockoffs is because humidity eats everything here, so aluminum/stainless is significantly better.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
poo poo, I need the woodpeckers branded dull hatchet.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok I need some advice on a project.

Gonna make a tortilla press: two hardwood planks with a pair of hinges on one edge and some other razzle dazzle to make it extra squish leverage. Here's where I need the advice:

What are best ways to make the screws going into that hinge as strong as possible against the shearing pressure of the tortilla press?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Looking up what these look like, I would imagine that you want the screws to be as long as possible, and to use as many as possible (most of the pictures i saw had two hinges with six screws each).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

HappyHippo posted:

Looking up what these look like, I would imagine that you want the screws to be as long as possible, and to use as many as possible (most of the pictures i saw had two hinges with six screws each).

yeah I was planning a 6-screw per hinge configuration.

What kind of threads hold best in this circumstance? Aggressive? Tight? Bigger or smaller diameter screws? Can doing things like putting CA glue in when I drive the screws help? How about countersinking the holes a bit inside the hinges? Should I do any kind of tapping? Any good tricks for making sure that the hole on the hinge is extra centred?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CommonShore posted:

What kind of threads hold best in this circumstance? Aggressive? Tight? Bigger or smaller diameter screws? Can doing things like putting CA glue in when I drive the screws help? How about countersinking the holes a bit inside the hinges? Should I do any kind of tapping? Any good tricks for making sure that the hole on the hinge is extra centred?

It all depends on just how much load they're going to take. More load = more reinforcement. It's hard to say from here just what will be necessary.

The wooden ones I see through Google don't seem to have any particular reinforcement. They're just wood screws.

I guess if you're applying enough stress to shear wood screws, you should be making it out of metal.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CommonShore posted:

How thick is the press? Most of them look like a good 1.25"+ which should be plenty of meat. Bigger screw is basically better, you can probably use a #10 or #12 no problem, depending on what will fit in your hinge. Longer the better, I'd go for 1.5"-2"long. If the board is a dense hardwood, make sure you pre-drill an appropriate sized pilot hole (usually the diameter of the shaft of the screw) and wax the threads of the screws so the screw doesn't break. For centering the hole, use a vix bit as a pilot hole to your pilot hole, since you may need a bigger pilot that what a vix bit will drill. If its a hardwood, fine thread screws are usually better, but basically whatever thread is on 'wood screws' is fine. SPAX screws are nice and a bit less likely to break ime. I wouldn't put CA glue in the screw holes or anything like that.

You shouldn't need to do anything beyond that. Mortising the hinges into the wood really does help with strength especially on a vertical door, but I'm not sure if it would help in this situation and it might mess up the clearances you need. Honestly the hinges are probably the weak point here. I think the hinge is gonna bend itself out of shape before the screws break or get ripped out.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sounds good. That's pretty much what I had planned. I just wasn't sure if there was some other things I could add to the mix to squeeze out a bit more strength here and there.

I think I'm going to be making these bits out of ash that's somewhere around 1.75" thick. Should be a sufficiently chonky boy.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CommonShore posted:

Sounds good. That's pretty much what I had planned. I just wasn't sure if there was some other things I could add to the mix to squeeze out a bit more strength here and there.

I think I'm going to be making these bits out of ash that's somewhere around 1.75" thick. Should be a sufficiently chonky boy.

If you wanted to get real crazy you could rough up the underside of the hinge real good and epoxy it on in addition to the screws but that sounds like a big sticky mess that really isn't necessary.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Max strength would be bolts that run totally through the wood with a nut and washer, but good luck drilling a straight hole through 10" or so of ash.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

CommonShore posted:

With a hardwood like ash that thick, you could hang a solid door off the hinges. You "should" be fine.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I built a pair of small drawer boxes. Both have cherry cases, the lighter drawers are pepperwood burl and the darker ones are walnut burl. I banded the drawers with macassar ebony, the knobs are turned African blackwood. The drawers are rabbetted with bamboo skewers as reinforcement. I finished them both with poly, as one of them will be living in the bathroom as storage for my wife's make-up brushes. I also lined the drawer bottoms with suede. For scale, they are about 6" tall, 10" wide and 8" deep.

While cleaning up the dust & chips from turning the knobs with the dust collector I accidently sucked the knobs up too. So i had to go for a journey into the bin to find them, luckily most of the dust & chips in it were cherry, so the dark knobs stood out.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

:eyepop:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Jesus Christ. Once again you astound the thread with your talents.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Wow those came out so nice! And I was surprised they were just makeup brush boxes! What inspired you to use that type of wood & design for the drawers?

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Thanks all.

a dingus posted:

Wow those came out so nice! And I was surprised they were just makeup brush boxes! What inspired you to use that type of wood & design for the drawers?

Thanks, I generally dress up drawer fronts with some sort of veneer. These drawers are quite small so I dug through my bin of small veneer parts and in terms of a 4-way match I pretty much only had pepperwood burl and walnut burl in the right size, so that's what I used. The ebony banding I stole from a Fine Woodworking article a few years back on a similar drawer box which I consulted for the build.

There's also an interesting illusion due to the banding, the knobs are off centre vertically on the drawers, they are centred with the burl part. I almost centred them vertically on the drawer and it didn't look right.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
That's lovely work, as usual. Excellent veneer work, I'm especially jealous of how crisp those miters on the veneer banding came out, those continue to bedevil and annoy me doing them myself.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Those look great. I love the dark on dark of the walnut and ebony.

Just Winging It posted:

That's lovely work, as usual. Excellent veneer work, I'm especially jealous of how crisp those miters on the veneer banding came out, those continue to bedevil and annoy me doing them myself.
I've always had the best luck using a broad chisel for crossbanding instead of a saw or knife, and then give the edge of the veneer a few swipe on a straight sanding block. If you want to get really organized and picky, use the sequential cut of veneer, flipped and rotated, for the other side of the miter so the grain lines up perfectly. It's not so noticeable on a narrow banding but on wider ones it really makes it looks sharp and it winds up looking not quite right if it doesn't line up. If you manage to flip and rotate the correct way (which i only occasionally get right) the chatoyancy will be opposite too so it makes the light flip at the miter which looks nice.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Good info. I surmise that a lot of my issues with things not lining up are due to 1) the substrate not being exactly rectangular, and 2) doing it all in one go, hammer veneering down the main, central veneer, allowing that to set enough so I can slice off the edges for edge banding, and then gluing down the edge banding that I mitered to size just before. Which is probably not the smartest way, to do it, being rather error-prone and subject to slight mistakes that'll stand out like a sore thumb after, but it was what I came up with at the time. Ideally I'd assemble the veneer by building up by gluing it down on paper, get everything right, then glue that down on the substrate (like I've seen marquetry done), but I couldn't do it here as I had no way of properly centering and aligning it while doing so, and it being slanted would ruin the look I was going for.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
I bought the expensive saw dammit, now I need to get a friend over to help me get the 250lbs down my 1911 basement stairs :p

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Toast posted:

I bought the expensive saw dammit, now I need to get a friend over to help me get the 250lbs down my 1911 basement stairs :p

When I got my saw, I bought a dolly at the same time, plus got friends with a pickup truck to help me get it down my 1904 basement stairs.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I have another stupid newbee question. I’m going to be making a record display shelf. Simple design from the profile, essentially a 1”x1” L shape. I’m thinking I’m going to make 5 of them out of 10’ length of walnut. Then going to screw them into my wall to have a walnut record wall. What I’m worried about is the smaller parts I rip out of the main board twisting and bending. Any idea of the best way to execute something like this?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Toast posted:

This is also a great way to figure out which steps need replacing :D

I got my 350lb laser into the basement by leaning some 2x4s on the stairs as rails and using a pulley to gradually slide it down

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Just Winging It posted:

Good info. I surmise that a lot of my issues with things not lining up are due to 1) the substrate not being exactly rectangular, and 2) doing it all in one go, hammer veneering down the main, central veneer, allowing that to set enough so I can slice off the edges for edge banding, and then gluing down the edge banding that I mitered to size just before. Which is probably not the smartest way, to do it, being rather error-prone and subject to slight mistakes that'll stand out like a sore thumb after, but it was what I came up with at the time. Ideally I'd assemble the veneer by building up by gluing it down on paper, get everything right, then glue that down on the substrate (like I've seen marquetry done), but I couldn't do it here as I had no way of properly centering and aligning it while doing so, and it being slanted would ruin the look I was going for.
I have always laid the main body veneer first across the entire drawer face or table top or w/e and then routed out a shallow rabbet for the cross banding to sit in. Then cut/fit/tape all the crossbanding into that little groove and glue it down with cauls and clamps. After the crossbanding is glued down, I route a channel for any stringing between crossbanding and body. I probably work this way because I am usually doing it on a solid wood headboard or tabletop instead of something veneered so it doesn't occur to me to lay it all up at once, but that may well be easier. I've never really done hammer veneering either so I can't speak to that part of it. I've mostly used a vacuum bag where less complicated veneer layups seem to be a little less likely to fail than complicated ones. If you want to lay it all as one piece, crossbanding and all, you could lay it onto an oversized drawer face and then cut the drawer face to match however your veneer comes out.

e:

Sadi posted:

I have another stupid newbee question. I’m going to be making a record display shelf. Simple design from the profile, essentially a 1”x1” L shape. I’m thinking I’m going to make 5 of them out of 10’ length of walnut. Then going to screw them into my wall to have a walnut record wall. What I’m worried about is the smaller parts I rip out of the main board twisting and bending. Any idea of the best way to execute something like this?
They may, but walnut is usually fairly stable and dried well. You will have better luck if you have some straight grained or quartersawn stock. My lumber milling process is basically cut to rough length, edge join one edge, rip to rough (oversized) width, face join, plane to thickness, edge join, rip to final width. This allows you to fix anything going wonky. If this is already surfaced stock and you aren't planning any further milling after you rip it, rip it all a 1/4-1/2" big depending on how long you are talking. If it bows, you have a bit of room to straighten it out. If you are making these 2' long I doubt you will have much problem, but if you are making full 10' rips it may be more of an issue. If you are screwing or glueing them together in an L shape, they should help to straighten each other out.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have always laid the main body veneer first across the entire drawer face or table top or w/e and then routed out a shallow rabbet for the cross banding to sit in. Then cut/fit/tape all the crossbanding into that little groove and glue it down with cauls and clamps. After the crossbanding is glued down, I route a channel for any stringing between crossbanding and body. I probably work this way because I am usually doing it on a solid wood headboard or tabletop instead of something veneered so it doesn't occur to me to lay it all up at once, but that may well be easier. I've never really done hammer veneering either so I can't speak to that part of it. I've mostly used a vacuum bag where less complicated veneer layups seem to be a little less likely to fail than complicated ones. If you want to lay it all as one piece, crossbanding and all, you could lay it onto an oversized drawer face and then cut the drawer face to match however your veneer comes out.

I'd considered going the laying it all down on an oversized board and then fitting the board to the veneer route, except I forgot, and then I'd already made the drawers. Next time though I'll give that a go.

e. It didn't come out bad for the most part, just... slightly meh.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 1, 2023