Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Arione posted:

Thats really the only appeal. Needing a 4 door, not wanting an SUV and still wanting to tell people you "own a porsche"

The only practical use would be in germany where you can commute at 150+ and need a sedan that can actually handle the speed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Panamera never quite made sense to me (other than as a lineup filler). I drove a colleague's Panamera 4S and it was pretty fast and handled pretty well but there wasn't anything all that special seeming about it. I couldn't figure out what the real value prop was - as you posted earlier, you can get more luxury and comfort for similar money. I feel like it was for the dude who already owns a 911 but has two twelve year olds they have to take to school during the week. Other than brand loyalty, I didn't get the appeal.

I'm with Kyoon: idgi. Cayennes and Macans are a dime-a-dozen in comparison to Panameras, and they outsell the Panamera worldwide including in China. Clearly, the world prefers SUVs over sedans for daily driver/family cars. The Panamera doesn't make sense to me in 2024, doubly so with the Taycan existing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Residency Evil posted:

I'm with Kyoon: idgi. Cayennes and Macans are a dime-a-dozen in comparison to Panameras, and they outsell the Panamera worldwide including in China. Clearly, the world prefers SUVs over sedans for daily driver/family cars. The Panamera doesn't make sense to me in 2024, doubly so with the Taycan existing.

Yep, but the Panamera is positioned as a premium option over the Taycan according to my local dealership. They expect that as Porsche goes electric, petrol powered cars will turn into the real status symbols.

Macans and Cayennes are likewise simply status symbol cars as well. But I mean gently caress it, now they got Lambo, Ferrari, and Aston making god drat SUV's so clearly there's a market for status symbol SUV's.

Gonna get some hate for this, but I'd say the same poo poo is true of most GT owners, you never see the loving things anywhere but at the service bay and at cars and coffee. It's another "look at me" car for "look at me people" who cant afford italian cars that do the same thing. I think the real enthusiast cars only have 2 doors, and S, GTS, Spyder, Turbo, and Turbo S. Everything else is a wank.

Arione fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 21, 2023

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Arione posted:

Yep, but the Panamera is positioned as a premium option over the Taycan according to my local dealership. They expect that as Porsche goes electric, petrol powered cars will turn into the real status symbols.

Macans and Cayennes are likewise simply status symbol cars as well. But I mean gently caress it, now they got Lambo, Ferrari, and Aston making god drat SUV's so clearly there's a market for status symbol SUV's.

Gonna get some hate for this, but I'd say the same poo poo is true of most GT owners, you never see the loving things anywhere but at the service bay and at cars and coffee. It's another "look at me" car for "look at me people" who cant afford italian cars that do the same thing. I think the real enthusiast cars only have 2 doors, and S, GTS, Spyder, Turbo, and Turbo S. Everything else is a wank.

You think GT products are for posers but not Spyder? Like literal GT only not all GT department cars? Overall I agree but the Spyder inclusion seems inconsistent.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

TheBacon posted:

You think GT products are for posers but not Spyder? Like literal GT only not all GT department cars? Overall I agree but the Spyder inclusion seems inconsistent.

People buy GT 3/3rs/4/4rs for the 'GT" You know how many god drat people have snubbed my spyder because its not called a "GT4 Spyder"? It's always, "isnt it just a boxster?" So no, if you dont know what it is, its not special, it doesnt have some giant rear end "look at me" wing on it. It's also not perceived as a "track car" Also only the 718 is from the "GT" division, despite the 981 being the same car as the old gt4, differing only in suspension components and steering rack. The 987 spyder's peer was the Cayman R.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I think more people should be 2004 986 S cars, tbh.

I think I'm going to aim to get a hard top for my 986 in 2024

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Elite Taco posted:

I think more people should be 2004 986 S cars, tbh.

I think I'm going to aim to get a hard top for my 986 in 2024

theres 2 better options for the 986. Either get a Z top to make it look like a cayman, or you do a 986 spyder conversion, but that requires you to send / take your car to coral springs.

https://tunersmall.com/product/trs-porsche-986-spyder-conversion-kit/

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...ayAdapt=kor2usa

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Arione posted:

I think the group that overlaps between "has the time/desire to track a GT car" and "can afford to write off a GT car at the track (track insurance notwithstanding)" is incredibly small.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Residency Evil posted:

I think the group that overlaps between "has the time/desire to track a GT car" and "can afford to write off a GT car at the track (track insurance notwithstanding)" is incredibly small.

From my time in southern california, anyone actually tracking Porsches usually mods out a spec boxster 986 or just buys a preowned 911 cup, or one of the new options from porsche motorsport direct, like a gt3R or a GT4CS.

GT3's are just road cars. a base boxster can be taken to a track just as well as a gt3, and it doesnt sting as bad when you write it off.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Arione posted:

From my time in southern california, anyone actually tracking Porsches usually mods out a spec boxster 986 or just buys a preowned 911 cup, or one of the new options from porsche motorsport direct, like a gt3R or a GT4CS.

GT3's are just road cars. a base boxster can be taken to a track just as well as a gt3, and it doesnt sting as bad when you write it off.

Yup, same. I've seen the occasional GT car at a track day, but once you start talking about "real" racing, well, spec series are popular for a reason.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The handful of people I know in SoCal with GT4 & GT3 cars take them to the track all the time and when they're not doing that, they're at autocross, most of these cars get driven pretty hard in the circle I see them in anyway but certainly get plenty of road use as well so I think there's definitely a segment of owners that have this pattern of usage in mind when they are looking for the GT cars. At least among the owners I know.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

The handful of people I know in SoCal with GT4 & GT3 cars take them to the track all the time and when they're not doing that, they're at autocross, most of these cars get driven pretty hard in the circle I see them in anyway but certainly get plenty of road use as well so I think there's definitely a segment of owners that have this pattern of usage in mind when they are looking for the GT cars. At least among the owners I know.

Our PCA region is full of GT cars on track days. Seems like a pretty normal use case to me.

Actual racing? Not so much. But I mean.....driving an actual race car on the street blows so who (with Porsche GT car money) would do that? You buy/build a race car. This is what Cayennes were made for: to pull the trailer.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I'm going to the track in my 986 this very weekend. (Hallett).

C U there.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Motronic posted:

Our PCA region is full of GT cars on track days. Seems like a pretty normal use case to me.

Actual racing? Not so much. But I mean.....driving an actual race car on the street blows so who (with Porsche GT car money) would do that? You buy/build a race car. This is what Cayennes were made for: to pull the trailer.

A few years ago I was riding south on highway 1 a bit north of Monterey and going northbound was a Cayenne with what appeared to be a spec 911 of some sort and a full set of spare wheels and tires. It definitely owned

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TheBacon posted:

A few years ago I was riding south on highway 1 a bit north of Monterey and going northbound was a Cayenne with what appeared to be a spec 911 of some sort and a full set of spare wheels and tires. It definitely owned

Yet another reason to buy a cayenne over a panamera!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Anything turbo charged is wank.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

Anything turbo charged is wank.

I'll try to remember that while passing people on the highway with 8500 lbs of excavator and dump trailer behind me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Russian Bear posted:

Anything turbo charged is cool.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I did my brakes last night for track prep. The ability to swap pads will out pulling the calipers is magical.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Cars with big turbos that make peak power near redline are cool.

Cars with small turbos to make torque down low are lame.

Elite Taco posted:

I did my brakes last night for track prep. The ability to swap pads will out pulling the calipers is magical.

This is how you know the company gives a poo poo about performance.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
It’s always great watching endurance racing where Porsche teams will just replace the brakes in a relative blink of an eye compared to the other teams, letting the drivers be more aggressive throughout the race

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

hi

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Motronic posted:

All of this is true to form. Go drive the poo poo out of it and have fun. Then you can have fun tracking down parts and replacing inconsequential stuff.

(catch up on/keep up with maintenance schedules especially fluids)

Been doing the thing, btw. It arrived with like, 49.7k miles and I hit 55k on the way to the track today. Time to give it the beans!!!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Hallett is great fun, what direction are you running it? One of the few tracks they allow to be run in both directions.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
We are counter clockwise today. Just finished session 2 and I generally think I have the track memorized, My totally stock boxster is plenty of car and I haven't gotten out of third gear yet.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Here you go:

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
loving Panamera is throwing evap codes again. It's blown 4 evap vent tubes so far. Porsche said this time its showing Large Leak, reset it and put a new gas cap on it and tried to give it back. Fortunately I've reset the drat light multiple times and it usually takes awhile to pop back up, so they are keeping it for testing..... Pretty drat sure its a valve failure somewhere overpressurizing the system, idk. starting to hate this car. also gently caress the EPA.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
kinda ended in a weird place, but ok. Sorry for your loss.

I got all 5s today:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Arione posted:

loving Panamera is throwing evap codes again. It's blown 4 evap vent tubes so far. Porsche said this time its showing Large Leak, reset it and put a new gas cap on it and tried to give it back. Fortunately I've reset the drat light multiple times and it usually takes awhile to pop back up, so they are keeping it for testing..... Pretty drat sure its a valve failure somewhere overpressurizing the system, idk. starting to hate this car. also gently caress the EPA.

Get a Taycan

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

lol no. The biggest NARP ever produced? its a toaster....

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Arione posted:

lol no. The biggest NARP ever produced? its a toaster....

Neuropathy, ataxia, retinitis pigmentosa?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

fwiw, I think it's this.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Not A Real Porsche

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arione posted:

Not A Real Porsche

Oh, like my 944?

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

Oh, like my 944?

At one time, probably. 944's have gained alot of nostalgia and acceptance as of late. But when I owned my 85 absolutely it was considered a narp. I wasnt even welcome in the local pca back then

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Porsche people are the worst

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arione posted:

At one time, probably. 944's have gained alot of nostalgia and acceptance as of late. But when I owned my 85 absolutely it was considered a narp. I wasnt even welcome in the local pca back then

Yes, you're making my point that

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Porsche people are the worst

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Is the only Real Porsche then a 911? Or 356? And then also not a GT badged one either?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TheBacon posted:

Is the only Real Porsche then a 911? Or 356? And then also not a GT badged one either?

I think we're hearing that a "real porsche" can only be determined later by history.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Well, Rennsport Reunion sure seems to get people to drag the GT cars out of their garages. I was briefly behind a brand-new Cayman GT4RS with paper plates two days ago, got cut off on the far west end of Highway 198 by a 996 GT3 yesterday (good show and cute custom plate, 6GT3MK2, whoever you are), and saw a bright red 997 GT2 this morning, all headed in the direction of Monterey. Plus a beautiful blue early 911 on the way home this afternoon, though I couldn't get close enough to see the badge on the rear and understand where I should place it on the all-important Porsche Prestige Scale. Heaven help that poor fellow if he's heading up there to try to pass off *shudder* a 912.

Looks like I"ll give it a miss this year, but I definitely want to go next year. I've been living in the area for a year now, but it feels like maybe I need another year to steel myself for hanging out around Porsche people without actually owning a Porsche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
They are cool cars and it's fun to go see them.