Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Three Olives posted:

Actually, lighting is a huge thing that is definately worth giving a lot more consideration than most people do.

Putting dimmers on everything is completely worth the money, good under-cabinet lighting is a great investment, and I feel like I didn't come up with this on my own but I don't remember where I first saw it....

Small table globe lamps on the floor,

It completely evens out the light in the room especially at night it basically serves as amazing nightlights, just enough light that you can see everything but not so much that if you wake up in the middle of the night to get a glass of water or something that it is disruptive.

lol nice flophouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Overdog posted:

lol nice flophouse.

I keep looking at how the dining chairs will be half off the rug when in use

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

my library has power tools available for checkout

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

My library has a feature online where you can request books that they don’t have and they’ll buy them and make them available.

I did it for a book, figuring that maybe in a few months they’d get to it or whatever, but I got an email less than two weeks later telling me it was ready for me to check out!

I keep asking for stuff via my university's ILL and get told its nowhere in the system

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

a sous vide. takes your steaks from good to amazing. the steak you buy is the steak you get. it doesn't shrink by half the size when you cook it. comes out every bit as fat and juicy as when you started it. And you DONT need a fancy vacuum sealer, ziploc bags work 100% fine. are you bad at making a good medium rare steak? Do you always either undercook it so its raw, or overcook it into shoe leather? The sous vide CANT overcook it. if you put it in for 2 hours, fell asleep and it went for six instead, it's fine. it just gets it to that perfect temp and holds it there. Then you just need to pop it out for a super fast sear and you've got the most amazing steak. and on that note, get a big ol jar of ghee. You want butter to sear the steak in, but butter will burn, ghee wont.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Detheros posted:

So it's probably been mentioned but it bears repeating: get a bidet for your toilet.

As someone who, uh, has a bit of trouble getting all of my crap out of there it's been a life changer, my butt's never been cleaner and I use 95% less toilet paper than before (I usually need just enough to dry off which is like, a few squares).

This is the one I use, it's only $40 and is simple to install.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A0RHSJO

Jelly posted:

My apartment installs these stupid toilet lids that snap on and don't have the screw mounts and I couldn't figure out how to get one of these to work (I literally got the same one you have first) so I returned it and just went manual with one of these sink sprayer lookin' things and I have no regrets once I got the technique down. It's also super handy for cleaning stuff in the bathtub. If you don't have a lot of control in your hands (like if you don't understand how adaptive triggers on controllers work) then you probably want to steer clear as the max power will likely create a mess of some sort.

I've been meaning to get a bidet for a while. Paper seems so primitive.

Now a relative (24F) has moved in for an unspecified time and is going through toilet paper at a rate I have never seen before. Flushing entire forests of old growth Tasmanian timber down the shitter it would seem.

I have just ordered a nice cold water manual sprayer type suitable for the anti-clockwise flushing toilets we have here in Australia.

Where I live, the cold tap water is never that cold.

:australia:

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Aishlinn posted:

a sous vide. takes your steaks from good to amazing. the steak you buy is the steak you get. it doesn't shrink by half the size when you cook it. comes out every bit as fat and juicy as when you started it. And you DONT need a fancy vacuum sealer, ziploc bags work 100% fine. are you bad at making a good medium rare steak? Do you always either undercook it so its raw, or overcook it into shoe leather? The sous vide CANT overcook it. if you put it in for 2 hours, fell asleep and it went for six instead, it's fine. it just gets it to that perfect temp and holds it there. Then you just need to pop it out for a super fast sear and you've got the most amazing steak. and on that note, get a big ol jar of ghee. You want butter to sear the steak in, but butter will burn, ghee wont.

how do I know which sous vide to buy

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

pencilhands posted:

how do I know which sous vide to buy

Anova is a good brand for home chefs. They have bluetooth and look sleek and arent as expensive as pro models.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

This is a bit irrelavent for me these days but long underwear have become incredible.

North Face base layer will cost you maybe $100 for a set and cheaper if you buy in summer. Theyre comfy, well made, and keep you dry and warm in the winter. Cannot reccomend highly enough.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Jestery posted:

[every other can opener has broken in me in 1-2 years

pls stop putting can openers in you

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

ELTON JOHN posted:

Don’t kinkshame

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Cover your phone or tv remote with plastic wrap when you're cooking while following a recipe or video.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

ELTON JOHN posted:

I think it's fine depending on which end you use.

Sleepy Sheep
Jun 12, 2009
For everyone looking for non-scented deodorant, antiperspirant, or bath products, I highly recommend SaltAir.

Amazing products, aluminum packaging, and reasonable prices.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Brother Tadger posted:

Look for “quickdraw” carabiners for similar items (sans metal o-ring)

I wanted something just like this so I ordered a quickdraw carabiner and look what you have done to me

I can't put my keys on this!!!

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

I wanted something just like this so I ordered a quickdraw carabiner and look what you have done to me

Congrats on a being bad at making purchases

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Going to go on record to say I don’t think that will enhance your life

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Going to go on record to say I don’t think that will enhance your life

Whereas this...

Just might.

My Amazon.com.au order #314-1592653--8979323 of 1 item has been dispatched!

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I have a Tushy bidet because it comes in pink. I love my pink bidet!

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Here’s a non tactical/chuddy version of what y’all have been looking for:

https://niteize.com/slidelock-key-ring-stainless-steel

Basically every piece of hardware Nite Ize makes is super solid, I’ve been using their carabiners, figure 9 biners, and s-biners for years, and have yet to have one break on me. I’ve literally hung 60+ lbs of gear on their big s-biners over and over and they’re still going strong 10-12 years later.

E; personally for keys I’d probably go for this route, in fact I think I’ll order one or 2 when I get home:

https://niteize.com/z-series-dual-carabiner

spookykid fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 28, 2023

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

spookykid posted:

Here’s a non tactical/chuddy version of what y’all have been looking for:

https://niteize.com/slidelock-key-ring-stainless-steel

Basically every piece of hardware Nite Ize makes is super solid, I’ve been using their carabiners, figure 9 biners, and s-biners for years, and have yet to have one break on me. I’ve literally hung 60+ lbs of gear on their big s-biners over and over and they’re still going strong 10-12 years later.

E; personally for keys I’d probably go for this route, in fact I think I’ll order one or 2 when I get home:

https://niteize.com/z-series-dual-carabiner

That does look good thanks but what about this thing with weird creepy engraving

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

That does look good thanks but what about this thing with weird creepy engraving

I guess if you're looking for something that says "leather daddy"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

No. 6 posted:

Congrats on a being bad at making purchases

don’t muscle in on my gimmick please

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

covidstomper58 posted:

You can stuff 80' of neatly folded ethernet cable inside of you, just leave the RJ-45s hanging out. If there's more than one person in the house, problem solved. But someone has to carry around the coupler.

I uh... hmmm. It's not my place to tell you what to do with your Ethernet cables, but for the benefit of others I need to point out that your post doesn't describe a typical home networking use case.

80 feet, huh?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Are you guys janitors or the A/V guy at a middle school?

Who keeps their keys outside of their pockets?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I was at a college for a while, and I had one of those cool retractable key rings.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Please don't keep your key rings in your rectum

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

me, thank you Pennywise. That's how I know I have my keys and also frees up pocket space for weed and stuff!!!

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

you're getting into insufferable and unfuckable Everyday Carry guy territory with the caribiners

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

steinrokkan posted:

Please don't keep your key rings in your rectum

You're not my mom! (she approves of that)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

now show us your favorite neckknife

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Grey Cat posted:

I was at a college for a while, and I had one of those cool retractable key rings.

So did you like being a janitor there or what?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Brother Tadger posted:

So did you like being a janitor there or what?

Show some respect. He solved a very difficult theorum when the students there couldn't.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Just chiming in to say, yeah I definitely associate wearing a big rear end key ring on the outside of your pants with facilities/utility workers (nothing wrong with that) OR chud--y dudes who want to increase their presence by jingling and clanking with every step they take (lame).

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I knew a girl who insisted she needed a carbiner because "it's how you can tell people are queer" and it's like, hey, buddy, even without it the fact that your jacket, bag and everything else has patches and pins with various queer sayings and IDs is probably gonna give it away. I don't think the carbiner is the clincher here.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

yeah a quickdraw is a pretty specific piece of equipment for climbing. im afraid you’ve been given Bad Advice

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
*shink* *shink* *shink* *shink* *shink*

Oh god, Mr. A/V guy is walking down the hallway again. It's 1995 and I'm in my classroom. Everyone knows when he's coming because....

*shink* *shink* *shink* *shink* *shink*

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Nocheez posted:

Show some respect. He solved a very difficult theorum when the students there couldn't.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Just chiming in to say, yeah I definitely associate wearing a big rear end key ring on the outside of your pants with facilities/utility workers (nothing wrong with that) OR chud--y dudes who want to increase their presence by jingling and clanking with every step they take (lame).

One of the greatest moments of my life was getting a car that uses my phone as a key and officially getting rid of carrying any keys daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Three Olives posted:

One of the greatest moments of my life was getting a car that uses my phone as a key and officially getting rid of carrying any keys daily.

What if your phone dies?

Like, you drop it 3 feet and it smashes apart? Or the battery just runs out?

A single key is much much much smaller and lighter than a smart phone.