Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

And as a bonus, here's jobbo_fett with gun handling tips!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Does fireman do anything when he touches you? How is the Power Scope when used on other enemies?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I love these enemies. I mean, I've never played this far, but I love watching them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Not the first time they've had Leon do stuff like that, at one point in the second CG animated RE movie Leon does a one handed reload with an AK.
Meanwhile there's the third movie with... all that it does.

Guess his other arm was too infected for him to bother doing a regular brass check, or he was too tuckered out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I forgot there was a mysterious second video today right up until the end of the main one, I very much enjoyed being schooled on how the one-hand check provides no tactical advantage whatsoever :allears:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Does fireman do anything when he touches you? How is the Power Scope when used on other enemies?

Going by the original game, Man-on-Fire grabs and hurts you if he breaks the No Touching policy. The Bio Scope is basically a heat detecting scope, so I tend to use it as my default scope of choice because its so much easier to snipe enemies when they are very clearly outlined for you.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

In the time since we recorded this, I am deep into Season 4 of Arrested Development. It's a good show!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Only thing missing from the Iron Maiden is it covering you in goo and summoning a horde. It does almost everything.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

"trigger holster" implies some kinda pouch that you put the trigger in when you're not using it :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/y9G790A.mp4
"I've made a huge mistake"

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hello darkness, my old friend…

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Her pose when the door falls off is almost slapstick, amazing!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Like something you can animate for a cartoon skit for the game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I had something like that happen in the Water Room, she was getting grabbed by the crank and I was using the pistol that pierces enemies. I guess she was already in the "I'm getting picked up and can't move" animation so couldn't duck and cover when I shot the guy in the back.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ChaosArgate posted:

And as a bonus, here's jobbo_fett with gun handling tips!

I'm behind, but this was one of the things in John Wick that drove gun people nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za_m4Pu3UQ0&t=3s

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I appreciate that she runs in to the headshot perfectly with flawless timing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I feel like I missed something here - that boat with Ada ride wasn't in the lake where Moby Carp was, was it?

Going from a lovely village, to a castle to a research facility then a big mining area filled with military types is just such a harsh cut.

But it's still all owned by the local vampire plagas king who's controlling everyone?

(and yet the whole massive underground techno-empire in RE: Village never made me bat an eye for some reason)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I feel like I missed something here - that boat with Ada ride wasn't in the lake where Moby Carp was, was it?

Imagine it like this. The game takes place in and around a European coastal fishing hamlet. There's the small village with several houses, a church and a road leading out (the village's best feature). On the outskirts of town is the mayor's home on one end and then a few boat houses. Next you have a lake, which seems to mostly contain bass. Dotted around the lake are several caves, and a water path that leads to a fish processing plant. Beyond the lake there is a small quarry, and a path that leads to the castle. Beneath the castle is a mine, where the main export appears to be brain parasites, and brain parasite adjacent materials. Once you exit the castle you are at the ocean, and the island/offshore rig where we currently are. Here is where the underground lab is located.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Going from a lovely village, to a castle to a research facility then a big mining area filled with military types is just such a harsh cut.

It is kind of odd to see the game start in a village with basic turn of last century farming tools (minus the gas powered chainsaws), and oil lamps, and ox powered carts, and then 5 miles away, an island with state of the art (for 1997) PCs and electric gates, and push-button liquid nitrogen showers.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But it's still all owned by the local vampire plagas king who's controlling everyone?

I believe that Salazar is the local royalty (presumably prince regent?), but the guy with the actual influence is Sadler.

Also, I could be wrong, but I think we've seen the last of any female enemies at this point. None of the soldier enemies are women as far as I know.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The original RE4 is a beautiful Frankenstein's Monster of disparate bits and bobs from at least three or four different versions of in-development concepts for the game that came together to make a game that was way more than the sum of its parts. On paper, it sounds like the game just should not work but it works so perfectly that I genuinely cannot imagine the original game any other way.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Thanks for that, it cleared it up a lot. Like ChaosArgate sayd, the game is definitely a "Here are the set pieces, stitch them together in the cutscenes, I don't care how"

quote:

I believe that Salazar is the local royalty (presumably prince regent?), but the guy with the actual influence is Sadler.

This is another thing which was tripping me up. I'm sure it's a rule of fiction to never have your bad guys' names start with the same letter. And, if not, it should be.

I had the same problem as a young child reading Lord of the Rings, with Sauron and Saruman.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Thanks for that, it cleared it up a lot. Like ChaosArgate sayd, the game is definitely a "Here are the set pieces, stitch them together in the cutscenes, I don't care how"

This is another thing which was tripping me up. I'm sure it's a rule of fiction to never have your bad guys' names start with the same letter. And, if not, it should be.

I had the same problem as a young child reading Lord of the Rings, with Sauron and Saruman.

You mean Aruman?:colbert:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Elden Ring laughs at this.

Meet Godwyn, Godfrey, and Godrick and also Ranni, Rykard and Radahn.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Bibidi, Babidi, Buu

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

Bibidi, Babidi, Buu

Doesn't help that there are between 4 and 8 versions of Buu, depending on how you classify them.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Bibidi, Babidi, Buu

...An elephant sat on you?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's neat they solved the issue of "How many bullets is loaded at the start of the cutscene" by making the gun jam instead of running out of ammo.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

We will never stop making fun of No-Panty-Shots Steam Review Guy.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Saddler's goons kind of look like those napkin ghosts you hang outside. Even has the rope on their neck.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've been trying to figure out what movie character Saddler reminded me of since the remake came out, and there it is, 100% Dennis Hopper Bowser :aaaaa:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Secret Service responsibility only extends to former president's children until they are 16. Lifetime protection only covers the former president and their spouse, but is terminated if the marriage is ended, but also the other person remarries. So if Melania were ever to divorce Trump, she's still covered, until she gets remarried.

So, assuming that Ashley is 16 now, her father is president and finishes his term, the Secret Service protection ends for her then. There can be special extensions granted (maybe like she was kidnapped, drugged, infected with an unknown biological agent, assaulted and traumatized) but generally anything post presidential term would be done by private security, paid for out of pocket by the target themselves.

So unfortunately, no wacky farce where there's an ever expanding crisscrossing line of related agents diving in front of machine gun fire

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Scalding Coffee posted:

Bibidi, Babidi, Buu

Actually, that one was easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNKuARjkWEg&t=18s

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

CzarChasm posted:

Secret Service responsibility only extends to former president's children until they are 16. Lifetime protection only covers the former president and their spouse, but is terminated if the marriage is ended, but also the other person remarries. So if Melania were ever to divorce Trump, she's still covered, until she gets remarried.

So, assuming that Ashley is 16 now, her father is president and finishes his term, the Secret Service protection ends for her then. There can be special extensions granted (maybe like she was kidnapped, drugged, infected with an unknown biological agent, assaulted and traumatized) but generally anything post presidential term would be done by private security, paid for out of pocket by the target themselves.

So unfortunately, no wacky farce where there's an ever expanding crisscrossing line of related agents diving in front of machine gun fire
That explains why Hillary is still married.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

I would gladly watch that sitcom.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

That explains why Hillary is still married.

It's probably more that she is still involved in politics and it's better PR to be married (even to a serial cheater) than to be divorced. But she'd still be covered, until she gets remarried. So divorced is OK, remarried is not.

theenglishman posted:

I would gladly watch that sitcom.

I'm picturing a wedding, where a champagne cork goes off, and dozens of people attempt to tackle the bride.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
What happens if you put all your guns into storage before the cutscene?

Magic gun appears from nowhere?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah I believe in cutscenes, Leon always uses the default SG-09, regardless of if he has it or not, which you can see in this very LP as I've sold it before ever hitting the Castle. The choreography on some cutscenes may also be a bit funky with other guns, I'm not sure the RED9 has a slide that would allow Leon to check the chamber the way he does in the Gunkata cutscene.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Would have laughed if there is any game that allows you to wield a rocket launcher when cutscenes like that plays out.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What happens if you put all your guns into storage before the cutscene?

Magic gun appears from nowhere?

Exactly that. In the cutscenes, Leon's always using his customized handgun from the start of the game, regardless of if you've hucked it into storage or sold it off in actual gameplay.

Which is a bit of a callback to the original iteration of 4, where Leon basically had his handgun welded to him regardless of whatever actual weapon you were using when a cutscene hit.

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah I believe in cutscenes, Leon always uses the default SG-09, regardless of if he has it or not, which you can see in this very LP as I've sold it before ever hitting the Castle. The choreography on some cutscenes may also be a bit funky with other guns, I'm not sure the RED9 has a slide that would allow Leon to check the chamber the way he does in the Gunkata cutscene.

The Red 9's slide is a fiddly thing; due to it being basically internally sleeved by the frame, you need to use both hands for a loading check. There's a good photo on Wikipedia (copied below) showing what the open slide looks like, and about the only way I can see someone doing a one-handed load check on it is if they had a hand like an octopus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

re: the teenage spaghetti at around 9min, it looks like you were trying to flashbang them but the game was bugged out and wouldn't equip the flashbang. after you shoot them, you switch to another weapon and back to the flashbang (probably checking if that fixed it) and then move on